(Long Post) TLDR: Returning Player "Trying out Phoenix"

Started 22 Dec 2020
by JamesFullard
in Midgard
I have come with questions

I was playing DAoC Ywain (streaming) "for only like my 2nd day after being gone since the closing of Mordred PvP" when an old arch rival from Mordred popped in (we hugged and made up lol) and he started promoting Phoenix server to me in my chat. After a time of trying to convince me I decided to give it a try. I'm actually glad i did. The server has a ton of friendly folks, even had people show up in game from my stream helping me a little (very surprising).

The main time I played DAoC was day 1 of Mordred PvP server until the final day when they shut it down. Some might remember me by my old online name Damaja (I was the owner of the DAoC Video Database) I've never experienced RvR, did a lot of small mans and soloing on Mordred "for the most part" so this RvR thing is going to be a challenge for me. I'm 54 years .... old/young and I am not as quick with my reaction times as I used to be which is why I don't much play shooters any more.

This will be my first experience with RvR "mostly" and I have not played since Mordred so I think my best approach is to play a "safe" class to get my feet wet. I'll be 100% Midgard, no realm hopping for me. So Lemme ask some questions so I can stop rambling here haha ....

1) For someone in my situation, jumping into actual RvR for the very first time, what would you suggest as a first character for an old man being out of the game since "forever"? Currently I have been level a (22) Bonedancer up and a (19) Healer on the side (thinking a Healer will be too big of a job for me starting out) and was considering a Cave Shaman for soloing in NF but I want to see what suggestions I get here as well.

2) i am starting from scratch so was thinking of diving into a tradeskill (possibly Alchemy) to make my money with. Is Alchemy the way to go or should I be looking in another direction? Is farming a thing for Midgard on this server as a money maker? If so I would like to hear about it.

3) Where is the best place for this server to find "current" templates at with prices and such?

4) I could use any tips, suggestions, opinions etc etc one might give to a basically brand new player all over again. It's possible that I need to simply go with what I know (Albion). I can farm with a Necro and then roll something like a Cleric for RvR. At least for starting out so I dunno atm.

In closing, this post is not me trying to get attention or anything, I'm simply trying to find the correct path i need to follow with the best class choices for me personally to relearn this game with. Any help would be appreciated. So far I'm enjoying the server, alot of fun.
Tue 22 Dec 2020 3:05 AM by easytoremember
Templates: the items you can use to put together a full cap template are very flexible here. Items (jewelry largely) with randomly generated stats can yield utility 50 through upper 80's, or 100+ in the case of raid drops
Most set items can be purchased from merchants in the capital in exchange for Feathers and your having killed the mob they are associated with. Since they're tradable you can pay someone in plat to use their Feathers to purchase those items while the Feathers themselves can't be traded

The go to item in templates is generally SI chest piece for its heal proc. Items to have on hand but not worn are the Legion chunks for charge heal & power since they can be fired from your inventory

The items available on the merchants do still drop from their associated mobs so that means of acquiring them remains and even if you have no use for a given drop it can be vendored for 50% its Feather price

The credits for the merchant items include realm dragon, summoner's hall, Legion, Glacier Giant, epic dungeon, and the like, and these credits are realm-wide (if not account) & permanent
Tue 22 Dec 2020 3:46 PM by Kwall0311
JamesFullard wrote:
Tue 22 Dec 2020 2:04 AM
1) For someone in my situation, jumping into actual RvR for the very first time, what would you suggest as a first character for an old man being out of the game since "forever"? Currently I have been level a (22) Bonedancer up and a (19) Healer on the side (thinking a Healer will be too big of a job for me starting out) and was considering a Cave Shaman for soloing in NF but I want to see what suggestions I get here as well. I would just play what interests you. Leveling is fairly quick and easy here on Phoenix .A Bonedancer/Sham are a good start off toon to be able to farm some gold with. Also depends on which kind of RVR you like to do most, Solo/Small, 8v8, Zerg fights, etc.

2) i am starting from scratch so was thinking of diving into a tradeskill (possibly Alchemy) to make my money with. Is Alchemy the way to go or should I be looking in another direction? Is farming a thing for Midgard on this server as a money maker? If so I would like to hear about it. Im not sure alchemy makes much gold at this point, however it can be convenient to have your own skilled up. But between Alchemy and SC, they can be the most profitable. Definitely look in the crafting sections of the forums for salvage guide, because that will also make the most money

3) Where is the best place for this server to find "current" templates at with prices and such? As stated above, templates are also pretty easy to make here. With the unique rog system, pretty much no template is like the other. There are merchants in the main cities that sell top tier raid loot , that you can buy with their phoenix feather system, which you can read about on their page if you arent familiar with. Very convenient way to get top tier loot quickly.

4) I could use any tips, suggestions, opinions etc etc one might give to a basically brand new player all over again. It's possible that I need to simply go with what I know (Albion). I can farm with a Necro and then roll something like a Cleric for RvR. At least for starting out so I dunno atm. You also have the option to switch realms whenever you want, but will be locked out of RVR zones for 4 hours if you participate in one realm. You can transfer plat between realms if theres available trades going, so if you prefer to farm on alb and play on mid, you could possibly have that option.

Tue 22 Dec 2020 8:57 PM by JamesFullard
Where do people conduct these trades? Might do a necro to farm for my mids.
Tue 22 Dec 2020 9:04 PM by Kwall0311
JamesFullard wrote:
Tue 22 Dec 2020 8:57 PM
Where do people conduct these trades? Might do a necro to farm for my mids.

You would type /tradeorder, in game. Will give you a list of options to look at. There has to be money coming in/going out for the trade to go through, but you can see if its available or backed up by a command /tradeorder pending .

Theres also a minor exchange rate among the realms, but its pretty similar, which you can find out as well by /tradeorder exchangerate

An example would be /tradeorder place mid alb 10p, And you would receive it instantly if there was money going out of mid. Or, be added to the list of outgoing money until someone transfers from somewhere else
Tue 22 Dec 2020 9:36 PM by Valaraukar
1) For someone in my situation, jumping into actual RvR for the very first time, what would you suggest as a first character for an old man being out of the game since "forever"? Currently I have been level a (22) Bonedancer up and a (19) Healer on the side (thinking a Healer will be too big of a job for me starting out) and was considering a Cave Shaman for soloing in NF but I want to see what suggestions I get here as well.

Bonedancer is a good toon to farm, but it's quite overnerfed here in RvR. If you mean to do real RvR, so no 8man / solo, imho the easiest toons to use are Thanes (pretty useful in large fights, and with good survability BUT it's quite expensive to template, trust me) or Shaman, but not a full cave spec but something more useful to the party. Also a Skald is a good choice, you will basically always have a spot in a group but it's a bit more difficult to handle in fights (especially for the distances from your group and to use SoS in the right moment) and also as expensive as a thane to template. Alternatively you can try a Melee DPS, like a Berserk, easy to template and easier to play than a healer / caster especially on Mid.
----
2) i am starting from scratch so was thinking of diving into a tradeskill (possibly Alchemy) to make my money with. Is Alchemy the way to go or should I be looking in another direction? Is farming a thing for Midgard on this server as a money maker? If so I would like to hear about it.

Alchemy is very expensive to get to Legendary, and you will need a lot of feathers (obtained mostly in PvE raids) to make some money out of it, selling potions. SC is not expensive at all, but I doubt it could give you so much money... best thing to do is get a farming toon, smelt things and sell better drops (util 50+). There is a wonderful guide in the crafting section of this forum that allows to get all the salvaging / smelting skills you need with few effort.
---
3) Where is the best place for this server to find "current" templates at with prices and such?

There is no place like this, due to Rogs. You will need to create your own templates or buy full ones from other players in game. The basic items are generally the Tuscaran vest of your class and the SI quest "Ancestral secrets" necklace (80 utils with 4 res at 10%)
---
4) I could use any tips, suggestions, opinions etc etc one might give to a basically brand new player all over again. It's possible that I need to simply go with what I know (Albion). I can farm with a Necro and then roll something like a Cleric for RvR. At least for starting out so I dunno atm.

If you plan to farm on Albion do a Cabalist. You will farm as a devil with aoe dot on loads of mobs at once. But if you trade your money from Albion to Midgard usually you will need to wait a few days to have them on Mid, because the flow of money is practically one-way here, from Alb to Mid, and lose some money due to the exchange rate. If you want to stick to Midgard I suggest to roll a shaman as first toon, get grouped easily and once at 50 you can choose if you want to spec it to farm with aoe dot and make another toon for RvR, or keep it as RvR toon. If you are more on solo exp then a Bonedancer is the best choice, and you can use it also to farm high level mobs at 50 (for better rogs to sell) or run high level pve raids (Darkspire dungeon), but you will need to spec it to do PvE and not RvR.
Wed 23 Dec 2020 2:06 AM by JamesFullard
Question: +If I were to go with a Shaman, I've been reading up on the leveling guides + bonuses and such, soloing has been really fast solo on my BD. I know xp would be faster grouping, but so far Ive kept my gear up to date very easy running solo and in just a few hours I did hit 22 on the BD. So been thinking maybe instead of Healer I would go Shaman instead and level up BD/Shaman as my two characters.

Hypothetically ... if you were to go solo PvE on a Shaman from lvl 1 to 50 how would you do the spec as you leveled? Full cave and do baselines as buffs?
Wed 23 Dec 2020 11:17 PM by Valaraukar
Yes I think full cave is the way for solo levelling. Use base buffs and potions when you can (mana regen above all and endurance regen until you can cast your own lvl 22 aug reg end 3 buff). When you reach lvl 36 you can raise aug spec line to 22 to have the blue reg end if you want to stop using reg end pots. Then go straight to 49 cave. Do rvr tasks after lvl 35 to get some ra points, use them for aug dex, mastery of the art, mastery of focus, aug acuty but not for wild power since it's not good for aoe dot farming
Wed 7 Apr 2021 11:20 PM by DrehorgelPhoenix
Feels great seeing old Mordred companions. I miss the old Sin Vida days. Defending our relics vs what felt like an entire server. Now I'm here too, trying out Phoenix. Trying to get back into the swing of things. Nothing will come close to Mordred, but I hope this server can almost scratch that itch
Thu 8 Apr 2021 4:21 PM by vxr
Hey Damaja <3 Mordred. Vxr/Vrx here. I am pretty sure we flamed each other on the forums back in the day. Good times. Nice to see you around. There is a guild <Mordred> on Mid. Was pretty big when the server first started but seems to be pretty much inactive now. Just last week though I came across Chuva if you remember him.

I am pretty sure I downloaded some videos from your server. There is nothing like Mordred. Not this server not live not nowhere, but non the less this is the best DAoC you can experience right now.

Something to consider: There is an event called "level playing field" You enter as a level 1 and its mixed realm PvP 5v5. You can get 1-50 very fast and fun and can reach RR5+ and you wont be at a gear or RR disadvantage. The next time the event will occur is in like 4 weeks or so. You might want to level a PvE/Farming toon now and your RvR toon later. Or just wait until then and level both.

If your on mid, my char's name is Bombzz.
GL to you. I hope you enjoy your stay. If you have any questions feel free to DM here or in game.

Just some reminiscing:
I was a member of SV for about a month. The day I got invited was the day <Thug Life> was formed. I got the chance to defend SV keep against 80+ with only a group and half. KVG harassed them while we defended. Eventually we lost the relics only for SV to steal them back in the middle of the night.

~Bombzz
Mon 12 Apr 2021 12:41 PM by superallywatp1
Welcome to Phoenix. I like it here and as you say the people have been very friendly. Like you, I also spent a majority of my time on Andred and then Mordred.

RVR here is varied and there are always people looking for 'small man' 8v8 and almost always a mass-RVR battlegroup. You'll pick it up.

You will likely love the Proving Grounds PVP event which is a battleground equivalent to Mordred. I can't recommend that enough.

As for your points...

1) A pve and rvr friendly class should be your first. I like my Skald. A healer is very fun too although it can be quite repetitive and boring in pve from my experience.

2) trades have never been my thing but as far as farming goes, spiritmaster farm groups in Modernagrav are your go to place. Very easy.

3) No idea on this one

4) find a friendly guild and try to make a few friends. Do some raids and enjoy the experience with the fantastic people on the server. Drop me a line with your name and we can level up and reminisce of old days
Mon 12 Apr 2021 1:11 PM by lurker
All I would add is - don't expect to have a lot of fun/success as a solo cave shaman.

Whilst cave shamans are great in certain situations here, there are so many stealthers about that you will be reliant on having your RAs up (both ichor and purge) to stand a chance against them. If you do use your RAs, 90% of the time they will vanish and attack you again in 45 seconds.

obviously if you can find a tank, the space to kite him and he is stupid enough to be kited rather than just hide out of LoS then you can wreck that. But its few and far between. If you are set on Mid then skald, thane, zerker, SM, BD, are great visible solo classes. Only one of them has speed though.

Regardless, if you want to play visi solo you will need a lot of patience. Lack of speed and the prevalent red-is-dead dont-give-a-fk-about-anyone attitude is common here. But you can play around those people once you work out their MO, just avoid them and ignore the full groups /rofling you as they roll over a solo.

Alb is the best realm to play visi solo on, IMO - why? You don't have to deal with the Albs generally. And even more specifically, the ridiculous numbers of RR10+ minstrels running around who are to scared to enter melee range with anything above rank 4.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics