Latency issues/combat delay?

Started 26 Nov 2020
by boridi
in Ask the Team
https://imgur.com/a/urSmj3W

In the first screenshot, I perform creeping death, the enemy is stunned, but he gets off a hit right after being stunned (no purge)

In the second screenshot, I perform creeping death, and the valewalker performs a stun style* right after, and we are both stunned. We both sat there doing nothing for a few seconds.

In both cases, I dont think the enemy's hit should go through since they are stunned by creeping death. Is this a latency issue? I'm in the US.

*Also, if any GM could look into valewalker's side stun being basically an anytime style...
Thu 26 Nov 2020 1:07 PM by Noashakra
Yes it's a latency issue.
Vw can back up two styles, rear and back stun.
Positionals are easy to do on any class, it's not a VW issue.
Thu 26 Nov 2020 2:15 PM by gotwqqd
I wish I was lucky enough to have a chance to react.
Latency almost always means a stun on me if PA is landed

There simply is no reaction time allowed. It’s almost like the stun is land when I see the assassin
Thu 26 Nov 2020 3:16 PM by Saroi
You don't need a GM to look into it. Side/Back styles in fights have always been a thing and on live atm it is even worse since most classes depend on it.

For starters, don't blindlessly stick. Work with face and walk back/sidebackwards. A target that sticks on you is so easy to "abuse". Hunter can back stun, vw can side stun, hell even as a SB you can easily get snowsquall chain off. A sticked target is an invitation for those styles.

Since PA and Backstab have a big range like in your screenshot you were too far away for offhand. Try to time it more, so you are in range for your offhand to hit and put disease or snare poison on it. A target that is slowed will have less chance of hitting you on the side and back.

And because of latency etc. it can happen that basically yours and the enemies style go off. I had fights were I hit the enemy with my Mainhand, then his Mainhand damage came in and after that my offhand damage showed.

I have seen fights were both used slam at the same time and then just stood there 9 sec till the stun was over.

The first Screen vs. Toofunky is also hard to tell. He is a BM. Looking at the damage, only hitting for 115 Mainhand damage it seems to me that it is a hit from reflex attack.
Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:42 PM by boridi
I fought Toofunky again, and I think it is indeed reflex attack.
Fri 27 Nov 2020 1:42 PM by gruenesschaf
It's not a latency issue but a result of a performance optimization or rather a tradeoff.

Instead of processing everything that happens sequentially (at least within a region / load screen) we have a server wide game loop that ticks every 50ms and handles all players in parallel, this allows 2 people to stun each other for example when their stun is supposed to happen in the same 50ms window.

The primary reason here is that this allows all the server resources to be used where they are needed allowing the huge event or pve raid amount of players in close proximity without server side issues. Here you will actually crash / ld due to the client being unable to handle that many updates / things way before any server issues.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics