Archers shooting through the ground floor / ceiling texture of towers

Started 26 Oct 2020
by Strikejk
in Resolved Issues
Archers can currently shoot through the ground floor / ceiling texture of towers. They sit in the basement, and shoot through the ceiling/floor of the tower at people on the next level.
This issue is already heavily bug abused on a daily basis by numerous rangers (see appeal) and thus needs to be solved ASAP. Sorry for sounding overly dramatic but this is literally killing every tower fight vs hibs with 99% of the playerbase not even knowing what the hell is going on and why they just die. If this knowledge spreads further then all tower fights will devolve into scout/ranger/hunter groups sitting in the basement killing everyone above (a thing hibs already do with their ranger groups).

If this texture issue can't be fixed then archery indoors needs to be removed completely for towers (in the meantime). This is unacceptable in the current state.

Update1: I did a quick test with a scout (thanks for the help!). We found 4 holes that are 100% shoot-through. From the basement to the lordroom or the floor inbetween. If you stand in these places the enemy archer in the basement can 100% hit you with all his arrows, with an assist of 5-6 archers this is an instant death. Just "driving-by" these spots also seem to be enough to let the shot go through, even if you just ran over that spot for a split second.

Here are the 4 spots I found in the quick and dirty tests:
Oil level 1:
https://imgur.com/fHIGol6
Oil level 2:
https://imgur.com/c28jtv8
Lord room 1:
https://imgur.com/rMPdHq7
Lord room 2:
https://imgur.com/a4EzO0c

On top of that I also got shot multiple times simply running around on the different floor levels and up/down the staircases between oil-level and lordroom. It seems to happen due to glitching through the floor (extrapolation to reduce visible lag?) as the scout reported seeing me appear at the basement for a split second. Or due to multiple smaller holes that I couldn't pinpoint exactly in this small test. (by "drive-by" shots I explained above)

I'm sure there are plenty more holes where the archer in the basement can hit people above him in the tower, probably depending on his own position and his target position. This was just a very quick test and I already managed to find 4 definite holes and plenty of random hits.

Update2: Here is the video of the test, sorry for the bad quality, I hope it is good enough to see the random hits I got running through the tower. The scout position didn't change the entire test and is showcased at the end. (sorry I forgot to start the video at the beginning)

Video is currently uploading but here is the link already:
https://youtu.be/Gaoc6XBz-Fs

Issue Timeline

26 Oct 2020 Strikejk created this issue
31 Oct 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
31 Oct 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
3 Nov 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
3 Nov 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
4 Nov 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
10 Nov 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
10 Nov 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
16 Nov 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
14 Dec 2020 Uthred triaged this issue
14 Dec 2020 Uthred changed the status of this issue from new to backlog
20 Dec 2020 gruenesschaf assigned this issue from Nobody to gruenesschaf
20 Dec 2020 gruenesschaf changed the status of this issue from in_progress to resolved
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:40 PM by Nidd
what tower level are they killing you on oil level or lord?
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:44 PM by IdiamVonGawaine
Strikejk wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 8:55 PM
Archers can currently shoot through the ground floor / ceiling texture of towers. They sit in the basement, and shoot through the ceiling/floor of the tower at people on the next level.

My archer is, amazingly enough, unable to target players on different levels of towers because there is no line of sight available to target. How do you imagine archers are able to accomplish this amazing feat? Is it a ground target volley bug?

Strikejk wrote:
If this texture issue can't be fixed then archery indoors needs to be removed completely for towers (in the meantime). This is unacceptable in the current state.

Odd, doesn't seem to stop albs and mids from taking hib towers and keeps? Meanwhile the pet classes have been exploiting the ability to ignore doors, walls, and ceilings since I've been on the server, which hasn't been that long, btw. I guess you demand an immediate removal of pet class abilities at keeps and towers to, yes? That's only fair to the rest of us, including the archer community, no?

Sounds more like you're experiencing lag issues, as I have not been able to reproduce the effect you're complaining about while in game on my archer. There ARE times, however, when a char will lose line of sight moments before an arrow is released, and due to lag, the arrow WILL land on target despite the char being out of LoS. This is not unique to arrows though, as lag works the same way with some casted spells sometimes.
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:56 PM by Nidd
Strikejk wrote:

100% untrue, you die when arrow is in flight running to the next level. you cant shoot through floors.

keep crying tho.

next.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 2:34 AM by Strikejk
Nidd wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:56 PM
Strikejk wrote:

100% untrue, you die when arrow is in flight running to the next level. you cant shoot through floors.

keep crying tho.

next.
Evidence is uploading as we speak. I edited the OP with the links.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 7:46 AM by Sepplord
FRom my POV it looks like someone puts in quite some time to test serverissues and document them, and ofvcourse the "targetted victims" immediatly come in with snarky comments and try to deflect from the issue.

I agree though that removing archery from towwers is a bad solution. It is again an issue that "should" be solveable by enforcing a few heavy bans (and/or RP-resets, it's exploiting in RvR after all imo worse than RP-farming) on the people exploiting here IT it really is as it seems in the video (aka. you have to stand in certain spots to use the exploit). It doesn't seem likely that this exploit happens by accident (though that needs to be evaluated before taking action ofcourse
Tue 27 Oct 2020 8:25 AM by IdiamVonGawaine
Strikejk wrote:

Seems like a targeting issue where the target doesn't drop once out of LoS, rather than "holes in the floor". Regardless, I'll replicate this vid and see if it's repeatable in hib tomorrow and post results.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 9:55 AM by Noashakra
The only time you get hit, you run and hit a wall... It never happens when you stop moving.
It's a ghosting issue. They fire on you when your toon lags and go through a wall.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 10:23 AM by Astaa
I am not sure I have ever encountered this bug but it does look suspect...however...

You would have to be a pretty bored archer to stand on one floor and wait for someone to stand in the exact spot that you can glitch a shot through. It's difficult to target in towers anyway with all the textures getting in the way, more often that not you just end up targetting "xxx tower" and in some situation it even fires on keeps for 0 damage

It's likely that you have been hit after glitching out because of lag (ghosting), there isn't a great deal anyone can do about that. LOS is checked when you draw your arrow and when you fire, it is not checked while the arrow is in flight. I am not sure the devs can do anything about that mechanic either.

But anyway, there are far more broken things in game, I saw a necro using a cata while in shade form last night ffs. Albs go out of their way to send pets through closed doors, again it's not really in the spirit of the game but there isn't anything the devs can do about it.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 11:25 AM by DJ2000
Tough one to deal with. Just as other weaknesses of the Engine like Pet-Pathing, this may, or may not, never be resolved.

The Problem, as per usual, are Players that go for these kind ob "loopholes" to get some kind of "advantage".
Yes, there is not much of an advantage to be had as a Solo just as Astaa pointed out, ...but as we know: These type of Players won't stay "solo", nor will they be bored by doing it.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 1:22 PM by MostJuanted
I can confirm that it's possible to shoot ppl. from outside of the tower,too. When they r hiding @ Lord room 1: https://imgur.com/rMPdHq7 and push themselves too hard against the wall, you can target them and shoot them.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 4:25 PM by Strikejk
MostJuanted wrote:
Tue 27 Oct 2020 1:22 PM
I can confirm that it's possible to shoot ppl. from outside of the tower,too. When they r hiding @ Lord room 1: https://imgur.com/rMPdHq7 and push themselves too hard against the wall, you can target them and shoot them.

That is because of the "hidden" windows (I showed one very briefly in the video). Archers can shoot in/out of towers through these archer slits. (Same in keeps)
AFAIK it is intended for archers to shoot through these, as they are arrow slits afterall. Granted they are hidden in the tower and imo shouldn't be, that way people would be aware of these potential threats. Needless to say that is a separate issue

I also like to point out that every time I post archer related bugs I always get a huge amount of responses of people trying to defend these. (See custom phoenix procs on bows, probably done by GM's for their own chars, and only reverted for "new bought" bows (laughable fix - in comparison to all other items that didn't get this special treatment).
All I can hope at this point is that the people who are solving these bugs remain at least somewhat neutral and don't get be-swayed by the archer players vigorously defending their broken stuff (including people in power?).

Also I don't think blocking archery in towers is a big deal, it makes sense you can't use your bow in such a cramped space. Also it gives more viability for hybrid/melee archer. If you think that is too drastic, I like to point out that all necro dots stop ticking as soon as the pet dies, something that was recently changed on this server to fix the issue that people carried the Darkspire-dot into towns. Did necro's got any consideration or compensation? No. The entire pain (dot)-spec got heavily nerfed, especially in towers where necros use the strength of their class that the pet can suicide-bomb without killing the shade. (useless now because even if you get the ae-dot off, the pet dies 1s later which now removes the dot.)
That custom-nerf for necro's is way heavier in terms of balance than blocking archery inside towers and it wasn't even an issue with necro's to begin with but an issue with a mob in an instance the necro has nothing to do with but got hit by "friendly-nerf-fire" so to speak.

So give me a break, it is not too drastic to block archery in towers if that necro nerf is fine. However that would require a neutral mindset.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 5:35 PM by gruenesschaf
Strikejk wrote:
Tue 27 Oct 2020 4:25 PM
I also like to point out that every time I post archer related bugs I always get a huge amount of responses of people trying to defend these. (See custom phoenix procs on bows, probably done by GM's for their own chars, and only reverted for "new bought" bows (laughable fix - in comparison to all other items that didn't get this special treatment).
All I can hope at this point is that the people who are solving these bugs remain at least somewhat neutral and don't get be-swayed by the archer players vigorously defending their broken stuff (including people in power?).

No staff involved in these matters is playing a stealther.
You can in general be quite sure that if a class is played by a staff member involved in fixing issues or issue prioritization it is more likely to be nerfed via fixing beneficial bugs than receiving a buff due to it internally also being seen as a conflict of interest. The only advantage of a class played by me for example would be that if I encounter annoying class specific bugs while playing it you can be reasonably sure that they will be fixed by the next reboot if they can be.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 9:24 PM by IdiamVonGawaine
Strikejk wrote:
every time I post archer related bugs I always get a huge amount of responses of people trying to defend these.

I can't imagine why...

Regardless, I conducted a test with a guildy today to see if I could replicate your claims made here, and on the video. I conducted a series of two tests at Ailline guard tower and could NOT replicate what you claim in this thread.

Test 1: Target nearest enemy line of sight test
Goal: Determine whether it is possible for the archer to target chars on higher levels of the tower while they are out of line of sight.
Testers: 50 Ranger, 50 Hero
Conduct: I positioned my ranger in the corner on the bottom floor of the tower, as depicted in the video, before moving around to all corners, and then random spots on the bottom floor. I then had the hero move to the next levels and run around them while I attempted to target him using the "nearest enemy" key.

RESULTS: THE RANGER WAS UNABLE TO TARGET THE HERO AT ANY TIME DURING THE TEST WHILE THE HERO REMAINED OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT, REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE RANGER OR THE HERO LOCATED THEMSELVES.

Test 2: Targeted enemy line of sight test
Goal: Determine if it was possible to continue to engage a targeted enemy that moved out of the line of sight of the archer.
Conduct: I positioned my ranger in the same corner as depicted in the video, and targeted the hero. I then had the hero run to the 2nd and 3rd levels while trying to engage him with my bow. I then changed positions and repeated the test throughout the bottom and second floors of the tower.

RESULTS: THE RANGER WAS UNABLE TO ENGAGE THE TARGETED HERO WHEN HE MOVED OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT, REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE RANGER OR HERO LOCATED THEMSELVES.

Conclusion: Testing clearly demonstrated that It is NOT possible for archers to target players that are not in line of sight inside towers, NOR is it possible for archers to target and continue to engage targets that move out of line of sight in towers.

I would suggest that what the OP is experiencing has something to do with lag, or with some additional programming or aps they may be running on their computer, as I was unable to replicate ANY of their claims through my testing, and can confirm that there are no "holes" in towers, as claimed. The possibility does exist, however, that individual towers may produce different results, however, I would suggest the probability of that being the case is slim to none.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 9:53 PM by ExcretusMaximus
IdiamVonGawaine wrote:
Tue 27 Oct 2020 9:24 PM
I would suggest that what the OP is experiencing has something to do with lag, or with some additional programming or aps they may be running on their computer, as I was unable to replicate ANY of their claims through my testing, and can confirm that there are no "holes" in towers, as claimed. The possibility does exist, however, that individual towers may produce different results, however, I would suggest the probability of that being the case is slim to none.

He posted video proof of it happening, and because you can't reproduce it, you resort to "he must be cheating."
Tue 27 Oct 2020 10:08 PM by Noashakra
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 27 Oct 2020 9:53 PM
IdiamVonGawaine wrote:

He posted video proof of it happening, and because you can't reproduce it, you resort to "he must be cheating."

He didn't say that lol.
I understood it as "he could run a program like torrent that might impact his connection/computer"
Tue 27 Oct 2020 11:55 PM by Astaa
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 27 Oct 2020 9:53 PM
IdiamVonGawaine wrote:

No, what he actually said was that he couldn't replicate it and that there may well be other factors involved, up to and including lag and or any other programs being run.

But seeing as this hasn't been complained about before and appears to not be replicable, then I would surmise it is not a regular thing.

However, on a slightly related note. Any news on pets sprinting through guards/doors/walls to attack defenders?
Wed 28 Oct 2020 3:55 AM by easytoremember
IdiamVonGawaine wrote:
Strikejk wrote:
every time I post archer related bugs I always get a huge amount of responses of people trying to defend these.

I can't imagine why...

Regardless, I conducted a test with a guildy today to see if I could replicate your claims made here, and on the video. I conducted a series of two tests at Ailline guard tower and could NOT replicate what you claim in this thread.

Test 1: Target nearest enemy line of sight test
Goal: Determine whether it is possible for the archer to target chars on higher levels of the tower while they are out of line of sight.
Conduct: I positioned my ranger in the corner on the bottom floor of the tower, as depicted in the video, before moving around to all corners, and then random spots on the bottom floor. I then had the hero move to the next levels and run around them while I attempted to target him using the "nearest enemy" key.

RESULTS: THE RANGER WAS UNABLE TO TARGET THE HERO AT ANY TIME DURING THE TEST WHILE THE HERO REMAINED OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT, REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE RANGER OR THE HERO LOCATED THEMSELVES.

Test 2: Targeted enemy line of sight test
Goal: Determine if it was possible to continue to engage a targeted enemy that moved out of the line of sight of the archer.
Conduct: I positioned my ranger in the same corner as depicted in the video, and targeted the hero. I then had the hero run to the 2nd and 3rd levels while trying to engage him with my bow. I then changed positions and repeated the test throughout the bottom and second floors of the tower.

RESULTS: THE RANGER WAS UNABLE TO ENGAGE THE TARGETED HERO WHEN HE MOVED OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT, REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE RANGER OR HERO LOCATED THEMSELVES.

Conclusion: Testing clearly demonstrated that It is NOT possible for archers to target players that are not in line of sight inside towers, NOR is it possible for archers to target and continue to engage targets that move out of line of sight in towers.

Maybe your client version and his are different (if this is another new problem from live)? I'm aware the location of the player's hitbox is server-side but not sure about geometry for LOS checks
Wed 28 Oct 2020 4:15 AM by IdiamVonGawaine
easytoremember wrote:
Wed 28 Oct 2020 3:55 AM
Maybe your client version and his are different (if this is another new problem from live)? I'm aware the location of the player's hitbox is server-side but not sure about geometry for LOS checks

I'm running version 1.125d, according to the login screen. Windows 10 home.
Wed 28 Oct 2020 12:06 PM by Bradekes
I tab target and spam spells a lot in towers to get off first hit. I notice you will target people from other floors sometimes. The thing is they appear only for a brief second and don't allow a full cast. I'm almost 100% positive an archer would be able to shoot them, as my char does start to cast a spell when they glitch around the tower.

Not sure it's even possible to fix. Just the limit of the game client meeting the design of archery. Even disabling archery inside a tower wouldn't fix it because the archer could then just stand at the door of an open tower and do the same.

The tower design is really clunky and you can get stuck walking around. You don't have LoS when someone stands in the little cubby holes. Towers in general are bugged and fighting in them is a nightmare most the time. Though it is fun to get off a qc aoe dot on 50people standing on one floor here and there.
Thu 29 Oct 2020 1:32 AM by easytoremember
The screenshots and description gave me the impression there had been those rectangular slit windows placed throughout the tower at one point but glossed over lazily with noalpha textures without changing the model

After watching the video I guess it is the lag ghosts that are being shot. I've always seen them a lot during zerg fights and pick up those targets with tab but have never been able to swing at them or start a cast or even shoot them because 'Target is not in view.' even if they are still in the process of ghosting
Wed 4 Nov 2020 4:58 AM by paqdizzle
Strikejk wrote:
This issue is already heavily bug abused on a daily basis by numerous rangers (see appeal) and thus needs to be solved ASAP. Sorry for sounding overly dramatic but this is literally killing every tower fight vs hibs with 99% of the playerbase not even knowing what the hell is going on and why they just die. If this knowledge spreads further then all tower fights will devolve into scout/ranger/hunter groups sitting in the basement killing everyone above (a thing hibs already do with their ranger groups).

Update1: I did a quick test with a scout (thanks for the help!). We found 4 holes that are 100% shoot-through. From the basement to the lordroom or the floor inbetween. If you stand in these places the enemy archer in the basement can 100% hit you with all his arrows, with an assist of 5-6 archers this is an instant death. Just "driving-by" these spots also seem to be enough to let the shot go through, even if you just ran over that spot for a split second.

Here are the 4 spots I found in the quick and dirty tests:
Oil level 1:
https://imgur.com/fHIGol6
Oil level 2:
https://imgur.com/c28jtv8
Lord room 1:
https://imgur.com/rMPdHq7
Lord room 2:
https://imgur.com/a4EzO0c

On top of that I also got shot multiple times simply running around on the different floor levels and up/down the staircases between oil-level and lordroom. It seems to happen due to glitching through the floor (extrapolation to reduce visible lag?) as the scout reported seeing me appear at the basement for a split second. Or due to multiple smaller holes that I couldn't pinpoint exactly in this small test. (by "drive-by" shots I explained above)

I'm sure there are plenty more holes where the archer in the basement can hit people above him in the tower, probably depending on his own position and his target position. This was just a very quick test and I already managed to find 4 definite holes and plenty of random hits.

Update2: Here is the video of the test, sorry for the bad quality, I hope it is good enough to see the random hits I got running through the tower. The scout position didn't change the entire test and is showcased at the end. (sorry I forgot to start the video at the beginning)

I reported this too. Except I saw how it works from the perspective of a scout. and to be 100% with you, it's not the scouts shooting through the floor, because on our screen: we see the smallest little blip of characters coming down to the base floor. So you just sit at the bottom with a critshot ready and spam the nearest enemy target, and fire button. Once those character come to the bottom floor, you shoot immediately and it hits. Can't believe when I mentioned it the first time, it never got fixed. I even DM'ed the gms and was told "We'll take a look into this issue". that's cool.
Fri 6 Nov 2020 7:52 PM by Strikejk
paqdizzle wrote:
Wed 4 Nov 2020 4:58 AM
I reported this too. Except I saw how it works from the perspective of a scout. and to be 100% with you, it's not the scouts shooting through the floor, because on our screen: we see the smallest little blip of characters coming down to the base floor. So you just sit at the bottom with a critshot ready and spam the nearest enemy target, and fire button. Once those character come to the bottom floor, you shoot immediately and it hits. Can't believe when I mentioned it the first time, it never got fixed. I even DM'ed the gms and was told "We'll take a look into this issue". that's cool.

Thanks for the input!

As a side note, as I already stated in my OP this still happens on a regular basis (literally every tower hibs can get into with their ranger assist squad) and not some "rare" instance. And this is no exaggeration, it is literally every tower, if archers made it into them, especially the hib ranger squad which everyone should be familiar with.A solution for this issue is needed quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/2J6YTrY.jpg
Sat 21 Nov 2020 10:26 AM by Seelixh
At least someone got it finally. +1

Strikejk wrote:
MostJuanted wrote:
Tue 27 Oct 2020 1:22 PM
... If you think that is too drastic, I like to point out that all necro dots stop ticking as soon as the pet dies, something that was recently changed on this server to fix the issue that people carried the Darkspire-dot into towns. Did necro's got any consideration or compensation? No. The entire pain (dot)-spec got heavily nerfed, especially in towers where necros use the strength of their class that the pet can suicide-bomb without killing the shade. (useless now because even if you get the ae-dot off, the pet dies 1s later which now removes the dot.)
That custom-nerf for necro's is way heavier in terms of balance than blocking archery inside towers and it wasn't even an issue with necro's to begin with but an issue with a mob in an instance the necro has nothing to do with but got hit by "friendly-nerf-fire" so to speak.

So give me a break, it is not too drastic to block archery in towers if that necro nerf is fine. However that would require a neutral mindset.
Sat 21 Nov 2020 12:48 PM by Vkejai
Nidd wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:56 PM
Strikejk wrote:

keep crying tho.

next.

My toon was healing at oil level while getting shot through floor. Also on Lord room ( tower ) also , and feedback from other players in the tower states they were in safe zone bottom floor doing this. I wont mention any names tho.
Sun 22 Nov 2020 9:18 PM by Siouxsie
Strikejk wrote:
Fri 6 Nov 2020 7:52 PM
Thanks for the input!

As a side note, as I already stated in my OP this still happens on a regular basis (literally every tower hibs can get into with their ranger assist squad) and not some "rare" instance. And this is no exaggeration, it is literally every tower, if archers made it into them, especially the hib ranger squad which everyone should be familiar with.A solution for this issue is needed quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/2J6YTrY.jpg

I have noticed whenever there are a large amount of players, you get a lot of lag ghosting on stairs in towers and I found I was able to target
people 1 or 2 floors up, but no LOS on them.

If there's not a lot of players around, then you don't get this, it's only when it's laggy because the client has to place 120 albs or hibs around your mid BG and it's laggy.

Gotta love a Ranger group that all assists on you and then emotes. Tells you all you need to know about the toxic ranger mindset.
How do they get a triple damage add? Some kind of hack? Damage adds should only stack twice, once for self, once for buff class/song.

Return to Resolved Issues or the latest topics