Endcontent and long-term motivation for Raid-Bosses

Started 26 Oct 2020
by Crazyphader
in Ask the Team
Hey there,
This post is for constructive criticism and discussion Any form of insult will be deleted.

This thread is about how to make content such as raidbosses that have already been implemented or may still be implemented more attractive for players in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example: A player who already has templated his characters is no longer interested in raid bosses or quests for items to liven up these bosses.
Many players simply have all characters templated and would like incentives to do something else besides just playing on rvr.

Suggestion: You could create a small pool with special items that have a low to very low drop chance per raid boss.

Such a mechanism would increase the interest in raid bosses a lot.

It could be special weapons or equipment that are a little stronger. Or artifacts that have to be leveled. Or just something like that.

It would also be interesting for players who have every characters templated.

Are there any future plans or the chance to take a step in this direction?

Greetings
Mon 26 Oct 2020 4:12 PM by boridi
Crazyphader wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 4:00 PM
Or artifacts that have to be leveled. Or just something like that.

I believe we already had a TOA suggestion thread with many replies
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:03 PM by DinoTriz
Crazyphader wrote:
Any form of insult will be deleted.

You can do that?
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:12 PM by labra
You're pointing the very essence of DAOC: a rvr game yep with pve content.
No matter how long people will argue rvr is daoc endgame, there is still then"we want more" that leads to pve then rvr.
There was ToA, then LoTr, then late Cursed (I stopped live after Lotr, I leave the live arguments to actual live players).
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:36 PM by skipari
labra wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:12 PM
No matter how long people will argue rvr is daoc endgame, there is still then"we want more" that leads to pve then rvr.
There was ToA, then LoTr, then late Cursed (I stopped live after Lotr, I leave the live arguments to actual live players).

what is lotr/cursed? i can only remember catacombs. But all of those expansions had a huge impact in rvr, either through new items, abilities, caps or areas. The pve part was just a bonus (or harrasment imho). In the end the meta shifted and most, except the traditionalists, were somewhat happy.

And to prevent the usual, but after release/nf/toa/catacombs daoc died argument comes:
I don't think daoc live died because they changed stuff, the problem was more that people got kissed their ass in wow and others mmos which focused on fairly easy instant action content where its nearly impossible to fail, no matter how awful the player actually is.
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:49 PM by Ibs
skipari wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:36 PM
labra wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:12 PM

what is lotr/cursed? i can only remember catacombs. But all of those expansions had a huge impact in rvr, either through new items, abilities, caps or areas. The pve part was just a bonus (or harrasment imho). In the end the meta shifted and most, except the traditionalists, were somewhat happy.

And to prevent the usual, but after release/nf/toa/catacombs daoc died argument comes:
I don't think daoc live died because they changed stuff, the problem was more that people got kissed their ass in wow and others mmos which focused on fairly easy instant action content where its nearly impossible to fail, no matter how awful the player actually is.

Lotr is Lord of the rings. Person probably meant lotm, labyrinth of the minotaur. Last paid expansion of daoc that added the mauler/minotaur to every realm
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:18 PM by labra
Yeah ooops lotm :p
Tue 27 Oct 2020 2:26 AM by ExcretusMaximus
Crazyphader wrote:
This post is for constructive criticism and discussion. Any form of insult will be deleted.

I'm not going to insult you to prove my point, but you have no ability to moderate a thread.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 7:02 AM by Crazyphader
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 27 Oct 2020 2:26 AM
Crazyphader wrote:
This post is for constructive criticism and discussion. Any form of insult will be deleted.

I'm not going to insult you to prove my point, but you have no ability to moderate a thread.

You are welcome to try it out.

Please be quiet if you have nothing creative to contribute
Tue 27 Oct 2020 8:22 AM by Sepplord
I am a bit at a loss what the real incentive is behind this suggestion...

you say you want more reasons to do PvE, for PvE's sake, but then suggest something (in my eyes game destroying) like very rare items that are stronger than the current ones...
aka. you must farm these or you are disadvantaged in PvP.
If people that have templated their chars are not interested in any PvE content, that is a clear sign that they don't want to do PvE content...the solution to that isn't to force the interest by giving stronger rewards. That's just bad game design hidden behind shiny stuff.
If the reward is trhe only driving factor then people are not suddenly interested in the raid boss, they are just intrested in the new mandatory items and angry that they are forced into PvE-Raids

It really sounds like you want an advantage in RvR that is grindable in PvE, preferably only with an investment of tons of hours. That's the opposite of what DAoC stands for imo.

The only issue i see with PvE currently is that new players sometimes have trouble finding a raid to get their encounters, but better endgame PvP-items are not the solution. That just pisses of people that don't want to PvE, forces them into raids for a week or two and then the status quo is the same again with noone being intrested anymore.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 8:37 AM by IdiamVonGawaine
Crazyphader wrote:
would like incentives to do something else besides just playing on rvr.

Mentor bonuses...
1. Recipient recieves group RP/BP bonus pot for leading boss raids with "x" amount of chars without credit.
2. Recipient recieves group RP/BP bonus pot for leading groups of sub-level 50's through boss encounters.
3. Recipient recieves group RP/BP bonus pot for grouping with sub-level 50 chars for "x" amount of experience.
4. " " leading new chars through DS.

Something along those lines would be nice imo...

RP bonuses, BP bonuses, and XP bonuses would go a long way to making PvE valuable throughout the "career" of a char.
Tue 27 Oct 2020 8:52 AM by Sepplord
4. is already in, when you take chars without DS credit (afaik not only first run but their first few runs, not sure the cutoff though) the group already gets more feathers

I am also not a fan of 3. There already is a meta of people powerlevelling toons with 50+twink in groups, no need to further reward that and exacerbate the issue of not being able to get into groups unless you are either fotm-char or bring your 50 (though i get that the spirit behind the suggestion wants to achieve the opposite of that, i am just doubtful it'll work out that way)

1. & 2. sound like good solutions to make it easier for new chars to get encounters imo
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics