Does shield size matter in rvr for block rate vs multiple enemies?

Started 10 Aug 2020
by exveer
in Ask the Team
Question applies to both blocking for yourself and guarding a player, specific to RvR.

I've heard both Yes and No, so hoping to put the question to bed,
Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:47 AM by Cadebrennus
exveer wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 8:49 AM
Question applies to both blocking for yourself and guarding a player, specific to RvR.

I've heard both Yes and No, so hoping to put the question to bed,

From what I can remember it is no. However, shield size does matter regarding the passive block chance for arrows that are shot against you. Basically, carry the largest shield you can when moving from point A to B or when you know Archers are Volleying etc., but use the fastest (small) Shield when using Shield styles to get a faster follow-up weapon style.
Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:23 PM by inoeth
vs players size does not matter execpt vs arrows
vs pve it does matter in a way that the larger the shield the higher the block cap (there are rumors that small shield=vs one attacker, medium=vs two attackers.... that is not true)

block cap in rvr is 60% however if you are a zerg guy it might come in handy to have a large one in your back back in case alot of guards attack you or your mates
Tue 11 Aug 2020 7:46 AM by Noashakra
Size of the shield impact the number of people you can block.
Small is 1
Medium is 2
Big is 3
Thu 13 Aug 2020 7:02 AM by Centenario
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 11 Aug 2020 7:46 AM
Small is 1
Medium is 2
Big is 3

This is not the case on phoenix, the devs have talked about this on this forum somewhere, you can block with any shield any number of mobs here. I think that with large shield with MOB capped and block capped, etc... you get maybe 15% more blockrate than a small shield at maximum.
Thu 13 Aug 2020 8:15 PM by gruenesschaf
Centenario wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 7:02 AM
Noashakra wrote:
Small is 1
Medium is 2
Big is 3

This is not the case on phoenix, the devs have talked about this on this forum somewhere, you can block with any shield any number of mobs here. I think that with large shield with MOB capped and block capped, etc... you get maybe 15% more blockrate than a small shield at maximum.

This target cap per shield size isn't the case on live either, it's just a penalty for any more attackers. Except for the custom effect on projectile block rate you can use this as a reference https://gaheris.net/p/test_shield_size.html
Fri 14 Aug 2020 7:35 AM by exveer
gruenesschaf wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 8:15 PM
Centenario wrote:
Noashakra wrote:
Small is 1
Medium is 2
Big is 3

This target cap per shield size isn't the case on live either, it's just a penalty for any more attackers. Except for the custom effect on projectile block rate you can use this as a reference https://gaheris.net/p/test_shield_size.html

I'm sorry, I think I'm even more confused now than I was before.

Two things from that article--

Does that mean large shield has inherently higher block rate than small shield in PvE? Even on one mob?

And do the results of 10 mob tests apply to RvR on Phoenix? With the caveat that block rate caps at 60% in RvR. Or does RvR blocking, a some have stated, ignore the additional-attacker penalty, both when blocking for ones self and guarding.
Fri 14 Aug 2020 5:35 PM by gruenesschaf
exveer wrote:
Fri 14 Aug 2020 7:35 AM

Does that mean large shield has inherently higher block rate than small shield in PvE? Even on one mob?

And do the results of 10 mob tests apply to RvR on Phoenix? With the caveat that block rate caps at 60% in RvR. Or does RvR blocking, a some have stated, ignore the additional-attacker penalty, both when blocking for ones self and guarding.

In PvE Large shields have a 99% block cap, medium 90% and small 80%. The attacker penalty is the same in pve and rvr, just like that penalty not applying to guard.
Sun 11 Oct 2020 3:25 AM by imweasel
gruenesschaf wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 8:15 PM
Centenario wrote:
Noashakra wrote:
Small is 1
Medium is 2
Big is 3

So I just want to clarify something, as I am confused about the 1/2/3. So you are saying there is no limit to the number of blockers that any shield size can block, but block penalties start much sooner with small shields, then med shields then large shields.

I didn't seem to get this from this post: https://forum.playphoenix.online/realm/pve/12518-mechanics-of-blocking?page=2
Sun 11 Oct 2020 8:45 AM by keen
gruenesschaf wrote:
Fri 14 Aug 2020 5:35 PM
exveer wrote:
Fri 14 Aug 2020 7:35 AM

The attacker penalty is the same in pve and rvr, just like that penalty not applying to guard.
Can you clarify if small shields block on a guarded target in rvr with multiple attackers less than a large one would? Sorry, I couldn't figure out if the given answer is yes or no.
Tue 13 Oct 2020 8:35 PM by IdiamVonGawaine
keen wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020 8:45 AM
Can you clarify if small shields block on a guarded target in rvr with multiple attackers less than a large one would? Sorry, I couldn't figure out if the given answer is yes or no.

According to the Gaheris testing posted as reference, the answer is yes. A small shield is less likely to block attacks than a larger shield in every circumstance, regardless of the number of attackers, or whether using guard to protect a groupmate. This applies to both RvR and PvE.
Tue 13 Oct 2020 8:45 PM by imweasel
IdiamVonGawaine wrote:
Tue 13 Oct 2020 8:35 PM
keen wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020 8:45 AM

According to the Gaheris testing posted as reference, the answer is yes. A small shield is less likely to block attacks than a larger shield in every circumstance, regardless of the number of attackers, or whether using guard to protect a groupmate. This applies to both RvR and PvE.

Really? His post seems to indicate that penalties don't apply to guard.
Wed 14 Oct 2020 11:01 PM by IdiamVonGawaine
imweasel wrote:
Tue 13 Oct 2020 8:45 PM
Really? His post seems to indicate that penalties don't apply to guard.

I'm just going off of the data posted in the test he referenced due to the fact the data speaks for itself, and the small shield loses out every time.

I don't know wtf his post meant. Is "block cap" the same as "attacker penalty"? No clue.

How hard is it to say something like: SHIELD SIZE MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHILE USING GUARD or SHIELD SIZE MAKES A DIFFERENCE WHILE USING GUARD, SO USE THE LARGEST SHIELD YOU CAN FOR BETTER GUARD.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics