Add spell focus to scythe stats

Started 11 Aug 2020
by Bradekes
in Suggestions
VW should get spell focus on their weapon. Having to switch to staff to get spell focus and back to scythe is similar to bard/minstrel having to switch instruments to play different songs. Would be a nice QoL change with little effect to gameplay as it just reduces unnecessary weapon swapping.
Wed 12 Aug 2020 12:06 AM by Wakefield
Bit confused here.

There is no spell focuses for support classes or hybrids.

If you mean the level 50 all lines gem etc.

It's why the acuity buff does nothing to non cloth wearing classes. I know VW wears cloth but its classed as a hybrid
Wed 12 Aug 2020 2:30 AM by Bradekes
Wakefield wrote:
Wed 12 Aug 2020 12:06 AM
Bit confused here.

It's why the acuity buff does nothing to non cloth wearing classes. I know VW wears cloth but its classed as a hybrid

Acuity buff does affect valewalker and focus does also.. Have you ever played a VW?
Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:08 AM by ExcretusMaximus
Valewalkers are already the only hybrid that benefits from brain buff and focus, use a /switch macro and be happy you already have an advantage no one else does.
Wed 12 Aug 2020 5:19 AM by Bradekes
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:08 AM
Valewalkers are already the only hybrid that benefits from brain buff and focus, use a /switch macro and be happy you already have an advantage no one else does.

Wow way to miss the only point the thread was about. Why go backwards instead of forwards? It's such a small thing.. I don't even have a valewalker I just think it's lame.

To think you feel there is some small justice that a VW should have to deal with this as part of a minor chore shows some jealousy on your end IMO as this chore serves no real meaning except to be a bit lazy and lose out on a bit of mana if not performed.

Don't worry they buffed your thane's cast speed, spell damage, & lowered spell costs so you don't need to be jealous over a small mana efficiency boost QoL to VW.

Link to see how much they buffed thane spells vs a small QoL suggestion to put focus on scythes.... lol (*cough hypocrit*):
https://web.archive.org/web/20191123045310/http://playphoenix.wiki/midgard-class-changes/
Sat 15 Aug 2020 1:10 PM by joshisanonymous
Bradekes wrote:
Wed 12 Aug 2020 2:30 AM
Wakefield wrote:
Wed 12 Aug 2020 12:06 AM
Bit confused here.

Acuity buff does affect valewalker and focus does also.. Have you ever played a VW?

Honestly, I also did not realize that VWs benefit from these things.

I could get behind your suggestion in that case. I've always thought that the LT cast animation looked really cool with a scythe in hand.
Sat 15 Aug 2020 3:28 PM by gotwqqd
I think they are a powerful enough class that switching to staff to save power is acceptable

What I will say, depending on upcoming style change, is VW/reavers need their anytime attack to have some to hit increase...even if it means - to defense
Sat 15 Aug 2020 7:34 PM by daytonchambers
Valewalkers are in a unique position to benefit from focus above any other hybrid in the game.

This is due to the Arborial line being the base Forester spell tree shared by VWs and Animists. Feel fortunate that you can switch to a staff and benefit at all.

Spell focus was just recently changed so that +focus now only works on a staff, where before you could imbue it onto anything via spellcrafting. This means that the devs were aware of what the VW could do with focus, and nerfed it anyways.

Use /switch and wield a staff.
Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:45 PM by LolaEbola
Seems like a situation where you’d be perfectly fine just keeping your scythe on at all times, but you can get a small boost with a small amount of extra effort. Feels fair to me.
Mon 17 Aug 2020 6:00 AM by Noashakra
yeah I don't know why a switch is annoying...
Every class does it and there is even a macro here
Mon 17 Aug 2020 6:22 AM by Sepplord
daytonchambers wrote:
Sat 15 Aug 2020 7:34 PM
Spell focus was just recently changed so that +focus now only works on a staff, where before you could imbue it onto anything via spellcrafting. This means that the devs were aware of what the VW could do with focus, and nerfed it anyways.

Spell focus change to only work on staves was changed after going staffless as caster became more popular and got attention. I doubt valewalkers were the driving factor behind the change and having focus on scythes would not lead to any issues (imo).
Imo, switching to a staff and confusing an enemy here or there to think the VW is a caster is more beneficial than staying on scythe anyways
Mon 17 Aug 2020 10:41 PM by Bradekes
To everyone saying "be lucky VW benefit from focus at all" I don't play a valewalker so I am not lucky or anything because of this, and it isn't a valid point. They were obviously designed to benefit from acuity buff and focus why not add something that was designed to be more obvious? There are people who don't know these cool little tid bits of information and why should they be left in the dark? Just add focus to the scythe and call it a day.. It isn't a huge benefit, it isn't something that will affect anyone's fight vs a VW.

What this does benefit and the real reason why I think it is important is for people leveling up a VW. Not to gain some edge that every hybrid seems so jealous of when the only other caster/melee hybrid that trains for castable spells(thane) received a 33% reduction in power cost for spells which is essentially them gaining focuses benefit passively. This is a QoL change anyways, as you all stated how easy it is to do manually, which I already knew about /switch command.

**I imagine it would be tedious to have to /switch every PVE fight how about the rest of you?**
Tue 18 Aug 2020 7:35 AM by gotwqqd
Bradekes wrote:
Mon 17 Aug 2020 10:41 PM
To everyone saying "be lucky VW benefit from focus at all" I don't play a valewalker so I am not lucky or anything because of this, and it isn't a valid point. They were obviously designed to benefit from acuity buff and focus why not add something that was designed to be more obvious? There are people who don't know these cool little tid bits of information and why should they be left in the dark? Just add focus to the scythe and call it a day.. It isn't a huge benefit, it isn't something that will affect anyone's fight vs a VW.

What this does benefit and the real reason why I think it is important is for people leveling up a VW. Not to gain some edge that every hybrid seems so jealous of when the only other caster/melee hybrid that trains for castable spells(thane) received a 33% reduction in power cost for spells which is essentially them gaining focuses benefit passively. This is a QoL change anyways, as you all stated how easy it is to do manually, which I already knew about /switch command.

**I imagine it would be tedious to have to /switch every PVE fight how about the rest of you?**
maybe it should simply be removed
They don’t need it and they are a very good class without it, I’d say given their abilities it should be a class that needs to manage its power without focus
Tue 18 Aug 2020 11:49 AM by Bradekes
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 18 Aug 2020 7:35 AM
maybe it should simply be removed
They don’t need it and they are a very good class without it, I’d say given their abilities it should be a class that needs to manage its power without focus

And thanes shouldn't need to manage their power? Or are you suggesting they remove focus from vw AND their buff to thanes? I'm just not sure another hib nerf is a good thing for this server. They've(hib) never received a buff to their classes (that wasn't a game wide adjustment) but only nerfs.
Wed 19 Aug 2020 1:41 AM by ExcretusMaximus
Bradekes wrote:
Tue 18 Aug 2020 11:49 AM
They've(hib) never received a buff to their classes (that wasn't a game wide adjustment) but only nerfs.

Gee, I wonder why that might be...
Mon 24 Aug 2020 5:42 PM by chryso
I just recently created a vale walker. (level 7 so far) and I came here to make the request for focus in scythes.
Mon 24 Aug 2020 7:43 PM by Kurbsen
definitely +1 for focus to scythes again here, but in the meantime you can make a macro that swaps to staff then it casts your lifetap, and then one that swaps back to your scythe when you anytime/side/back style. you can easily do these swaps with the press of 1 button.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics