Volley Re-Balance

Started 31 Jul 2020
by DJ2000
in Suggestions
Volley in its current Form is extremely abusive.

There is no caveat, no Downside in using this RA.
It is way to spamm-able with too short Cool-down. Damage goes through the Roof in certain scenarios.
There is no other "active" Realm Ability that can be used this rapidly.
250 Damage (Fix) per Arrow (x5) on a 30 sec. Cool-down is my suggestion to balance this Ability.

Lvl1 Bow -> 250 Dmg
lvl24 Archer -> 250 Dmg
RR10 Archer -> 250 Dmg

Fix Damage, like all other active Realm Abilites.

(Range?)
Fri 31 Jul 2020 5:25 PM by gotwqqd
My suggestion is move!
Fri 31 Jul 2020 6:22 PM by Cadebrennus
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 5:25 PM
My suggestion is move!

Too difficult for mouth breathers.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 7:16 PM by Kwall0311
You cant suggest to move. When the entire ram/seige and walls can be blanketed by the massive amount of archers that are on.

This is a great suggestion, this has gone on for way too long. Atleast with a reduction in damage more time is given for defenders to counter,

If you think 400-500dmg +crit chance x5 over 5 seconds is ok you obviously dont do zerg rvr, or you play a hib.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 8:07 PM by Forlornhope
If they were to nerf it, they should definitely reduce the number of points required to train in it. If I remember right, it's eight points? I haven't used it on my hunter beyond training into it to try it out and immediately repeccing out of it so I could be wrong. But really, I have never had any issues healing through numerous volleys when playing my cleric in a BG. As long as you pay attention and have a healer who isn't just spamming group heal on a wall you should be fine.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 8:13 PM by gotwqqd
Forlornhope wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 8:07 PM
If they were to nerf it, they should definitely reduce the number of points required to train in it. If I remember right, it's eight points? I haven't used it on my hunter beyond training into it to try it out and immediately repeccing out of it so I could be wrong. But really, I have never had any issues healing through numerous volleys when playing my cleric in a BG. As long as you pay attention and have a healer who isn't just spamming group heal on a wall you should be fine.
Your correct

And it’s not as stellar as OP wants others to believe
It’s good for getting rp for someone killing enemy later.
But it’s primarily effective against people afk or simple.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:20 PM by DJ2000
gotwqqd wrote:
My suggestion is move!
That is a great comment. You know why?
After you move away, guess what happens? Volley has so low Cooldown, that roughly 8 sec after you "moved away", you are in the "zone" again. Solution? Move again!
So we move again. 8 sec and you will get hit again. Perfect example that this ability has too low cooldown.
Nothing lost for the Archer for using it or mis-firing it.

"It’s good for getting rp for someone killing enemy later.
But it’s primarily effective against people afk or simple."
I am not sure if I understand these 2 sentences. Can you elaborate maybe a bit?

@cadebrennus
Who are you and how petty can you be?

@kwal
5xx+crit (5x) are current Hib numbers that dont represent the other Archers, but they are way out of proportion thanks to the relics.

@Forlornhope
Reducing ht Cost is fine in my Book (5pts?).
As i think its a cool Ability for archers that is very fitting and useful. As far as i am concerned it could be a Bow-Skill tied ability even. The numbers are just off, not the ability itself.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 11:26 PM by daytonchambers
Cadebrennus wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 6:22 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
My suggestion is move!

I've been the only person at the top corner of an inner keep and by the time the first volley strike hits me (for 350+ per strike, despite volley not supposed to benefit from the archer changes) I start to move only to eat 2-3 more shots and am now starting to get snared thanks to low health.

TWF hits for a max 250 per tick, and the ability has a 10 minute cooldown.

Volley can, and does, hit for much harder than that per tick, can be stacked with other archers also lobbing volley shots, and has a 15 SECOND cooldown, which by the way is in the process of cooling down while you are still firing your shots so the wait time is actually less.

I say all of this while playing archers myself. The ability has always been a nuisance, but nuisance is fine. With the archer changes it has gone beyond nuisance and is now indeed out of balance with the rest of the RA system.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 11:56 PM by gotwqqd
daytonchambers wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 11:26 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 6:22 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
My suggestion is move!

I've been the only person at the top corner of an inner keep and by the time the first volley strike hits me (for 350+ per strike, despite volley not supposed to benefit from the archer changes) I start to move only to eat 2-3 more shots and am now starting to get snared thanks to low health.

TWF hits for a max 250 per tick, and the ability has a 10 minute cooldown.

Volley can, and does, hit for much harder than that per tick, can be stacked with other archers also lobbing volley shots, and has a 15 SECOND cooldown, which by the way is in the process of cooling down while you are still firing your shots so the wait time is actually less.

I say all of this while playing archers myself. The ability has always been a nuisance, but nuisance is fine. With the archer changes it has gone beyond nuisance and is now indeed out of balance with the rest of the RA system.
Why compare it to twf?
How about moc?

And if someone moves out of the target area are they so clueless that they move back there? Where the archer knows he’s hitting someone ?
Sat 1 Aug 2020 12:14 AM by daytonchambers
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 11:56 PM
Why compare it to twf?
How about moc?

And if someone moves out of the target area are they so clueless that they move back there? Where the archer knows he’s hitting someone ?

I compared it to TWF as they are both area effect realm abilities with damage components, and both have a history as being perceived as abusive in siege warfare. MoC is an entirely different animal, and has a much longer cooldown itself.

And I agree that moving back into an area you know has a GT set for volley is indeed stupid, but on more than one occasion have I eaten multiple volley hits as I desperately flee the radius point only to wander into a second radius of a different archer and get killed.

It's like a minefield you can set up without needing LoS, and with zero visual cues to warn others nearby. At least with GTAE when someone near you gets blasted you can SEE that there's gta in an area so that you can avoid said area. With Volley you don't know you're in the kill box until you are the one getting killed.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 12:15 AM by Forlornhope
DJ2000 wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:20 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
My suggestion is move!
After you move away, guess what happens? Volley has so low Cooldown, that roughly 8 sec after you "moved away", you are in the "zone" again. Solution? Move again!
So we move again. 8 sec and you will get hit again. Perfect example that this ability has too low cooldown.

@cadebrennus

@kwal
5xx+crit (5x) are current Hib numbers that dont represent the other Archers, but they are way out of proportion thanks to the relics.

@Forlornhope
As i think its a cool Ability for archers that is very fitting and useful. As far as i am concerned it could be a Bow-Skill tied ability even. The numbers are just off, not the ability itself.

Five's definitely reasonable and what I think it likely should have been set at to begin with. As to tying it into the bow spec line, I'd agree with that as. I'd also throw long shot in there as well to be honest. Although I really don't see that ever happening, so I think a good alternative would be to have volley set to some sort of fixed damage regardless of your spec in bow. So basically the damage wouldn't be tied to your spec at all. This could cause problems though, since it could make it an incredibly powerful skill for low bow spec users. I am not sure if you can crit with a volley, but if you can they should nip that in the bud as well. Honestly though, the best thing would likely just be a longer cooldown if they were to do anything about it at all. I have yet to be so overwhelmed by numerous volleys that I couldn't keep my group alive on my cleric though, so I personally don't think much alteration to the skill is necessary at all. Just an opinion though lol.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 5:26 AM by Cadebrennus
DJ2000 wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:20 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
My suggestion is move!

@cadebrennus

@kwal

@Forlornhope

1) Read sigs FTW. Up your reading comprehension skills.

2) If not a Caster then use a Small Shield. That alone (even unspecced) is a big nerf to Archery. Be smart with your shield procs. Another nerf to Archery.

3) If a Caster then keep your self casted BT up. Yet another nerf to Archery.

Basically, don't be a bad player and expect the Devs to fix something you're not doing yourself.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 5:59 AM by Lokkjim
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 5:26 AM

2) If not a Caster then use a Small Shield. That alone (even unspecced) is a big nerf to Archery. Be smart with your shield procs. Another nerf to Archery.

Basically, don't be a bad player and expect the Devs to fix something you're not doing yourself.

- Even as a reaver with a shield spec, unless I'm engaging them, I still get hit for a good amount of damage. More than one volley in the area and I'm getting hit regardless.

- A caster just standing outside casting blade turn doesn't really nerf Archery, especially since it sends multiple arrows. Even if a caster repeatedly casts bladeturn, they can do nothing else and don't contribute to the defense.

- Also, it's not that you can't survive a volley or heal through it, it's the fact that you're trying to cast to help defend and keep getting hit by arrows.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 6:09 AM by gotwqqd
Lokkjim wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 5:59 AM
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 5:26 AM

- Even as a reaver with a shield spec, unless I'm engaging them, I still get hit for a good amount of damage. More than one volley in the area and I'm getting hit regardless.

- A caster just standing outside casting blade turn doesn't really nerf Archery, especially since it sends multiple arrows. Even if a caster repeatedly casts bladeturn, they can do nothing else and don't contribute to the defense.

- Also, it's not that you can't survive a volley or heal through it, it's the fact that you're trying to cast to help defend and keep getting hit by arrows.
If the caster is near others his chance of getting hit goes down. He also can then have time to reset BT.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 8:32 AM by DJ2000
You do know that BT has a short window, after is gets penetrated/used, that it cannot be applied again, right?
Don't try to tell me that Archery has no tools to penetrate a BT, now that would be silly.

@cadebrennus
Learn comprehension skills my friend. My Question to you was not me being unable to read your sig, as that would not answer my question to know who you are or how petty you can be.

@Forlornhope
By putting it into the Bow-Line it could free the usage of RPs, so that alone would be quite helpful.
As to how exactly, well .. i am not sure. Maybe like this...
10 Bow = Volley 1x
20 Bow = Volley 2x
30 Bow = Volley 3x
40 Bow = Volley 4x
50 Bow = Volley 5x
?

The biggest problem is the low Cooldown though. There is nothing to consider when using this ability, no drawbacks or anything.
Every other active RA u have to consider as to when to use it, this has none.
It is not like they need to shoot the moment u activate it. They can just hold their Fire until someone walks into their target area and then shoot. Which in itself is unique and i like that part actually, but combined with such a low cooldown it is rather iffy.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 9:51 AM by Astaa
Don't stand in the fire.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 9:59 AM by Gildar
Astaa wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 9:51 AM
Don't stand in the fire.

LOL good answer.

If u have to open doors at keep/towers how you can avoid volley shot ? Standing away of doors ???
And how u can open ? With a magic word abracadabra ?
Sat 1 Aug 2020 11:54 AM by brewtus23
Kwall0311 wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 7:16 PM
You cant suggest to move. When the entire ram/seige and walls can be blanketed by the massive amount of archers that are on.

This is a great suggestion, this has gone on for way too long. Atleast with a reduction in damage more time is given for defenders to counter,

If you think 400-500dmg +crit chance x5 over 5 seconds is ok you obviously dont do zerg rvr, or you play a hib.

so you specced out of volley as to not abuse the op skill then correct?
Sat 1 Aug 2020 8:42 PM by Cadebrennus
DJ2000 wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 8:32 AM
You do know that BT has a short window, after is gets penetrated/used, that it cannot be applied again, right?
Don't try to tell me that Archery has no tools to penetrate a BT, now that would be silly.

@cadebrennus
Learn comprehension skills my friend. My Question to you was not me being unable to read your sig, as that would not answer my question to know who you are or how petty you can be.

@Forlornhope
By putting it into the Bow-Line it could free the usage of RPs, so that alone would be quite helpful.
As to how exactly, well .. i am not sure. Maybe like this...
10 Bow = Volley 1x
20 Bow = Volley 2x
30 Bow = Volley 3x
40 Bow = Volley 4x
50 Bow = Volley 5x
?

The biggest problem is the low Cooldown though. There is nothing to consider when using this ability, no drawbacks or anything.
Every other active RA u have to consider as to when to use it, this has none.
It is not like they need to shoot the moment u activate it. They can just hold their Fire until someone walks into their target area and then shoot. Which in itself is unique and i like that part actually, but combined with such a low cooldown it is rather iffy.

I guess as long as you stare at the sky with your mouth open as the pointy sticks come flying down at you, you will think Volley is OP.

Seriously, so many people do the dumbest things on this server and expect the Devs to fix their stupidity or lack of skill.

I think it's hilarious to run around with my Medium Shield and just reactive proc Volleying Archers with a DoT. Even with bad or no healers I've never died to a Volley, EVER. If you're dying to Volley you really need to rethink how you approach this game, especially on a Reaver with a speccable Shield.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 10:10 PM by DJ2000
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 8:42 PM
I guess as long as you stare at the sky with your mouth open as the pointy sticks come flying down at you, you will think Volley is OP.

Seriously, so many people do the dumbest things on this server and expect the Devs to fix their stupidity or lack of skill.

I think it's hilarious to run around with my Medium Shield and just reactive proc Volleying Archers with a DoT. Even with bad or no healers I've never died to a Volley, EVER. If you're dying to Volley you really need to rethink how you approach this game, especially on a Reaver with a speccable Shield.

What am I missing here?
This poor whataboutism-attempt can't be all there is to it, can it?
At which point was this about Reavers, about DoT reactives or about a shield spec?

Considering every post you made up until now: A Forum Troll, that's who and what you are.
Sat 1 Aug 2020 10:45 PM by gotwqqd
Gildar wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 9:59 AM
Astaa wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 9:51 AM
Don't stand in the fire.

LOL good answer.

If u have to open doors at keep/towers how you can avoid volley shot ? Standing away of doors ???
And how u can open ? With a magic word abracadabra ?
Have a sneak climb the walls and set a gt for your caster or archers. Don’t blame the enemy for being diversified.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 6:04 AM by Cadebrennus
DJ2000 wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 10:10 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 8:42 PM

What am I missing here?
This poor whataboutism-attempt can't be all there is to it, can it?
At which point was this about Reavers, about DoT reactives or about a shield spec?

Considering every post you made up until now: A Forum Troll, that's who and what you are.

You can either take the advice in this thread or you can continue to ignore it and cry that the sky is falling. Your choice.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 7:05 AM by Lokkjim
I've got a question, why does an archer have 2 attacks that can do over 500 damage? They have crit shot and just found out today that volley can do 550 base damage and crit beyond that. I can't do that as an assassin with perforate artery unless the target is sitting down or a level lower than 50 or untemped. Seems a little more overpowered to me now.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 7:06 AM by Astaa
Had some guy rebuff out of stealth yesterday, chanced a volley where I saw him...he was still there, he ran around in a little circle for 3 shots, then I pinged him with a critshot to finish. Also had a sorc run at me after I crit shot him for 1075, no attempt to QC, no attempt to run.

Some of the choices made by players are astounding.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 8:14 AM by DJ2000
Cadebrennus wrote: You can either take the advice in this thread or you can continue to ignore it and cry that the sky is falling. Your choice.
Yeah, nice try.
After this I will ignore you.

Read the First Post, and comment on it.
Realize what the issue is, and comment about it.

Your entire to contribution to any of it is this:
Cadebrennus wrote: Too difficult for mouth breathers.
Read sigs FTW. Up your reading comprehension skills.
If not a Caster then use a Small Shield. That alone (even unspecced) is a big nerf to Archery. Be smart with your shield procs. Another nerf to Archery.
If a Caster then keep your self casted BT up. Yet another nerf to Archery.
Now tell me how any of these addresses the forementioned issues?

@Astaa
How does any of that relate to the first Post?
Sun 2 Aug 2020 8:31 AM by Astaa
That people just stand there or run in a small circle when getting vollied, then complain about it.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 8:38 AM by DJ2000
Where was this mentioned in the first post in any shape or form?
Sun 2 Aug 2020 10:59 AM by daytonchambers
brewtus23 wrote:
Sat 1 Aug 2020 11:54 AM

neither my r7 ranger nor my new r5 hunter have volley. I use longshot, defensive RAs and passives. Volley is like GTaE, a cheese ability that's great for RP leeching as you bullshit the enemy down at a keep.

My solo kill ratios are terrible enough as it is, and I don't do keep fight stuff enough to spend the points on another stupid leeching tool. so, ya, no volley.

Astaa wrote: That people just stand there or run in a small circle when getting vollied, then complain about it.

On an inner tower there isn't much room to run in the first place. And I mentioned earlier in the thread that by the time you realize you're getting hit with volley and run, in a straight fucking line to get out of it, you may have eaten a total of 4 of the 5 shots. That's 1400 damage or more and I'm being generous here as rangers can hit you for a lot more than that.

That means you're now snared. And if this is a real keep fight then it's highly probable that while the archers are coating the roof with volley fire than the casters have the room directly below covered with gtae. Which means you will probably get hit with a second volley elsewhere on the roof or get nuked as you crawl into the lord room to escape. So boom, you dead. This indirect aoe shit is a big reason why I try to avoid the cancer of keep fights in the first place.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 2:08 PM by Cadebrennus
Astaa wrote:
Sun 2 Aug 2020 7:06 AM
Had some guy rebuff out of stealth yesterday, chanced a volley where I saw him...he was still there, he ran around in a little circle for 3 shots, then I pinged him with a critshot to finish. Also had a sorc run at me after I crit shot him for 1075, no attempt to QC, no attempt to run.

Some of the choices made by players are astounding.

I think we can separate that Stealther into the "the sky is falling" category of players.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 2:13 PM by Cadebrennus
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 2 Aug 2020 10:59 AM
brewtus23 wrote:

neither my r7 ranger nor my new r5 hunter have volley. I use longshot, defensive RAs and passives. Volley is like GTaE, a cheese ability that's great for RP leeching as you bullshit the enemy down at a keep.

My solo kill ratios are terrible enough as it is, and I don't do keep fight stuff enough to spend the points on another stupid leeching tool. so, ya, no volley.

Astaa wrote: That people just stand there or run in a small circle when getting vollied, then complain about it.

On an inner tower there isn't much room to run in the first place. And I mentioned earlier in the thread that by the time you realize you're getting hit with volley and run, in a straight fucking line to get out of it, you may have eaten a total of 4 of the 5 shots. That's 1400 damage or more and I'm being generous here as rangers can hit you for a lot more than that.

That means you're now snared. And if this is a real keep fight then it's highly probable that while the archers are coating the roof with volley fire than the casters have the room directly below covered with gtae. Which means you will probably get hit with a second volley elsewhere on the roof or get nuked as you crawl into the lord room to escape. So boom, you dead. This indirect aoe shit is a big reason why I try to avoid the cancer of keep fights in the first place.

Even standing perfectly still I've gotten hit by 2 arrows MAXIMUM in a Volley, unless it's multiple Archers, then maybe, just maybe, 4 arrows max. I'll block half of them with 35 Shield on a Merc, and probably one out of four or five with an unspecced Shield on the Ranger. Many of those Volleying Archers eat a reactive DoT, and a few have even been killed by it since many if not most Archers don't have a healer in their group, and are probably sitting out their IP etc. while they are spamming Volley.

Archery and Volley in particular are ridiculously easy to counter.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 2:17 PM by Cadebrennus
DJ2000 wrote:
Sun 2 Aug 2020 8:14 AM
Cadebrennus wrote: You can either take the advice in this thread or you can continue to ignore it and cry that the sky is falling. Your choice.
Yeah, nice try.
After this I will ignore you.

Read the First Post, and comment on it.
Realize what the issue is, and comment about it.

Your entire to contribution to any of it is this:
Cadebrennus wrote: Too difficult for mouth breathers.
Read sigs FTW. Up your reading comprehension skills.
If not a Caster then use a Small Shield. That alone (even unspecced) is a big nerf to Archery. Be smart with your shield procs. Another nerf to Archery.
If a Caster then keep your self casted BT up. Yet another nerf to Archery.
Now tell me how any of these addresses the forementioned issues?

@Astaa
How does any of that relate to the first Post?

You're ignoring advice, got it. So you've chosen the path of the whiner. There are plenty here on the forum to welcome your company.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 3:25 PM by Astaa
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 2 Aug 2020 10:59 AM
brewtus23 wrote:

Volley doesn't hit everyone, it hits one person at random near the groundtarget, including the chance of hitting the ram itself. If you're stood still in a cluster of support/casters long enough for an archer to gain a GT target, queue up volley and still don't move after being hit then there isn't much people can do. I don't disagree that it can be cheesy at sieges, but not in the same league as pets through doors and GTAOE, however, it is also a very useful open field tool, when used properly.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics