PvP Zone

Started 29 Jun 2020
by joshisanonymous
in RvR
Top 7 players in RPs last week look to have all achieved those RPs in the PvP Zone, same for 14 of the top 20. Nothing wrong with getting a lot of RPs solo, and maybe those 7 just played huge hours, but it's a decent sign that the rewards are too great since recent changes there. These top 7 are also toons that I've never once seen out solo before who are now managing up to 400 solo kills in one week on mostly visible toons. It's good to see more people soloing visible classes, but this is such a huge turn around that it all really does strike of the same problems that we had with the first day of the PvP zone, where it's far too easy and rewarding to just play in the PvP zone, making any other type of play seem pointless.

I don't want to overstate this as gamebreaking for RvR, especially so soon since the changes, but I don't want to assume it's perfectly fine, either, so this is more of a food-for-thought thread to garner some feedback and discussion.
Mon 29 Jun 2020 4:56 PM by ExcretusMaximus
All these solo zones are is RP farming. Period.

Why the devs cater to a population consisting of 2% of the entire game (if that) and give them better rewards than the rest of the player base is beyond me.
Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:35 PM by Noashakra
lol did you watch their rp/hour, it's not even that high for most players. They just spend hours there.
I am no big fan of the zone, but calling it rp farming, lol...
Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:38 PM by Blitze
I think my few forays with the Zerg have been better RP/hour than that zone... and I barely did anything in the Zerg.

(But I don’t enjoy the Zerg so I never stayed for long).
Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:49 PM by evert
For me personally the rps/h is a problem, because it's much higher than in frontiers (15-20k/h vs maybe 9-15k/h (varies more) solo in frontier) but the zone is pretty boring. Combined with the removal of even the old-style solo teleporters I don't have a lot of interest in going to the frontier, but the pvp zone is getting very stale. I don't think people should be incentivised (through better rps) to go to the pvp zone, but then I don't really like the whole zone
Mon 29 Jun 2020 6:03 PM by joshisanonymous
Noashakra wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:35 PM
lol did you watch their rp/hour, it's not even that high for most players. They just spend hours there.
I am no big fan of the zone, but calling it rp farming, lol...

It would be cool if we had a way to see things like RP/hour on the Herald. Doing /stats is helpful but obviously isn't as accurate as just getting a ranking.

This is why I was saying it's early to jump to conclusions, though. Maybe there are just a lot of people who are really excited to play in the PvP Zone following changes and so they've spent long, long hours there, more than people who've just been RvRing, but who knows for sure.
Mon 29 Jun 2020 7:17 PM by Kurbsen
So the solo zone rps is a problem? Where you have to actually get a win first to get the rps? I feel like we are just complaining just to complain now.. a quick herald search of some people in this threads rps, RPs from kills = 985,814 ; RPs from TASK = 733,500.. and the solo zone is the problem? come on lets actually think about this one here lol
Mon 29 Jun 2020 9:04 PM by joshisanonymous
Kurbsen wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020 7:17 PM
So the solo zone rps is a problem? Where you have to actually get a win first to get the rps? I feel like we are just complaining just to complain now.. a quick herald search of some people in this threads rps, RPs from kills = 985,814 ; RPs from TASK = 733,500.. and the solo zone is the problem? come on lets actually think about this one here lol

Read closer, whoever you are.
Mon 29 Jun 2020 9:21 PM by tommccartney
I log on and go to the pvp zone, make a quick 20k rp in no time, and log off out of boredom.

The pvp zone style quickly becomes /yawn

I find that I don’t even bother going to FZ, I’ve gone lazy, and certainly don’t even bother trying to put together a smallman/8man anymore. I mean why would you ? When a player can maximise your rp/hr by quick /rel and port straight back into 1v1 duels. It feels like there’s zero challenge to earn RP anymore.

This is not how DAoC should be played.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 12:39 AM by Helwyr
The real answer for these PvP zones, if they're being kept at all, is to have entirely separate character advancement for them. so you no longer earn Realm Points in the PvP zone, and instead get PvP points or Arena Points or w/e you want to call them. Someone who is RR10 in the real game is rank 1 in the PvP zone when they first go there and likewise someone who only spends time in the PvP zone will be RR1 in the real game.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 2:57 AM by ExcretusMaximus
Helwyr wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 12:39 AM
The real answer for these PvP zones, if they're being kept at all, is to have entirely separate character advancement for them. so you no longer earn Realm Points in the PvP zone, and instead get PvP points or Arena Points or w/e you want to call them. Someone who is RR10 in the real game is rank 1 in the PvP zone when they first go there and likewise someone who only spends time in the PvP zone will be RR1 in the real game.

Sounds like a lot of extra work for the devs, but I like it ... assuming they insist on keeping the player base segregated by playstyle.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 3:54 AM by Jingo NZ
My thoughts on this are the same as what I posted in a related thread:

Continue to ban duel circles.
Keep ToA solo pvp zone for periodic events only
Get solos back into frontiers.
Return solo zone telporters without death requirement.
Reduce RP gain in trelle/mord castle/folley lake by 50%.
Adjust the 50% reduction on a month by month basis depending on adherence to no duelling circle rules.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 7:38 AM by Razur Ur
It would be best if the PVP zone was only open every second weekend and not permanently.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:10 AM by Blitze
Agree, the ToA pvp zone would work best as an event.

Separate points on the NF solo area:
A 50% RP reduction in solo area would make it unused and desperate duelers would use the port the find a place a short run away from area to fight.

Better than this just add some interesting rule sets:
1. A small (~20%) RP incentive to kills within 1min 30s of you porting into solo area. Then normal RPs within 5min. Then a 20% reduction after that. This I believe would end the hanging/running around duel fest and cause chaos.
Or
2. Add mini task events.... capture flags, weather storm, raging buff.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 12:32 PM by Forlornhope
I personally think that they should introduce those player crafted barges from ToA. The ones that you can like stand on and drive via groundtargets. Then we can have massive battles out in the waters on boats, be pirates and shit.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 1:27 PM by choopak
I look at it this way. The pvp zone is unhealthy for the server's long term health. Solos are at the bottom of the food chain in RvR. When you take away the bottom of the food chain it has a ripple effect through the rest of it.

Action has been sparse the last week and it really has killed the small man action in the Frontier.

I support trying to accommodate the solo player base, but they create most of their own problems for themselves. Maybe bring back solo teleport and Trellebourg? At least they are now in the Frontier and subject to being ganked liked everyone else. Taking action out of the frontier is not good by any means.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 5:35 PM by Amser
choopak wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 1:27 PM
I look at it this way. The pvp zone is unhealthy for the server's long term health. Solos are at the bottom of the food chain in RvR. When you take away the bottom of the food chain it has a ripple effect through the rest of it.

Action has been sparse the last week and it really has killed the small man action in the Frontier.

I support trying to accommodate the solo player base, but they create most of their own problems for themselves. Maybe bring back solo teleport and Trellebourg? At least they are now in the Frontier and subject to being ganked liked everyone else. Taking action out of the frontier is not good by any means.

Not sure I would call it taking action out of the frontier. 8 mans killing solo's or small mans killing solo's isn't action. Its RP farming.

There are a lot of unhealthy things for the server long term (8 mans letting other realms kill their realm mates for the sake of /fairfight, etc.). Why do we have to cater to the 8 man's and small man's desire for easy RP's when that is unhealthy for the solo long term viability?

Why do solo's need to be the bottom of the food chain? You said it yourself, small man action in the frontier has become sparse. Welcome to the solo action for the last 4+ months. You are now the bottom of the food chain and it has a tendency to suck. The server has started eating itself alive and you are worried about your action, when solo's have been leaving in masses because of the toxic play styles. Give the solo community something worth going out into the frontier, without getting mowed down by larger numbers constantly, and they will come.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 5:52 PM by choopak
Amser wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 5:35 PM
choopak wrote:

Not sure I would call it taking action out of the frontier. 8 mans killing solo's or small mans killing solo's isn't action. Its RP farming.

There are a lot of unhealthy things for the server long term (8 mans letting other realms kill their realm mates for the sake of /fairfight, etc.). Why do we have to cater to the 8 man's and small man's desire for easy RP's when that is unhealthy for the solo long term viability?

Why do solo's need to be the bottom of the food chain? You said it yourself, small man action in the frontier has become sparse. Welcome to the solo action for the last 4+ months. You are now the bottom of the food chain and it has a tendency to suck. The server has started eating itself alive and you are worried about your action, when solo's have been leaving in masses because of the toxic play styles. Give the solo community something worth going out into the frontier, without getting mowed down by larger numbers constantly, and they will come.

You completely missed the point bud.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 7:50 PM by Amser
choopak wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 5:52 PM
Amser wrote:
choopak wrote:

Care to explain then?

You complained about a smaller bottom (solo) food chain because of ripple effect. - that has been happening a lot longer then just recently, largely in regards to 8 mans/small mans play style.

Complained further about small man action. - Again, solo's want real action, not getting ran over by small man +. Why do you think the pvp/1v1 "arenas" are so popular with the solo crowd.

You say you support solo players, but then blame their problems on themselves. (I can't speak for everyone, so take this as is) All they want is to be able to start a fight, and finish a fight on a semi regular basis without getting ran over by a mass numbers. Key here is semi regular basis. Getting ran over by larger numbers infrequently isn't an issue. It is a problem when that is all that happens.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:02 PM by choopak
Amser wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 7:50 PM
choopak wrote:
Amser wrote:

Care to explain then?

You complained about a smaller bottom (solo) food chain because of ripple effect. - that has been happening a lot longer then just recently, largely in regards to 8 mans/small mans play style.

Complained further about small man action. - Again, solo's want real action, not getting ran over by small man +. Why do you think the pvp/1v1 "arenas" are so popular with the solo crowd.

You say you support solo players, but then blame their problems on themselves. All they want is to be able to start a fight, and finish a fight on a semi regular basis without getting ran over by a mass numbers.

This game was designed with all forms of RvR taking place in the Frontier. No other segment gets a "special zone". Your preferred play style is inherently risky in how the game was designed. Dying and getting ran over is a consequence of being a solo player.

You are clearly in the solo mindset so any effort to reason with you is futile, so I will not engage with you further.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:26 PM by Amser
choopak wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:02 PM
Amser wrote:
choopak wrote:
Care to explain then?

You say you support solo players, but then blame their problems on themselves. All they want is to be able to start a fight, and finish a fight on a semi regular basis without getting ran over by a mass numbers.

This game was designed with all forms of RvR taking place in the Frontier. No other segment gets a "special zone". Your preferred play style is inherently risky in how the game was designed. Dying and getting ran over is a consequence of being a solo player.

You are clearly in the solo mindset so any effort to reason with you is futile, so I will not engage with you further.

I actually play most forms, so try not to make assumptions. 8v8, BG, Solo, Duo, Stealther. A little dabble in small man till my guildies went hib.

I would completely disagree with no one else getting a "special zone". Small man has teleporters/small man zones. Small man has/had pvp zones and events in different arrangements. 8v8 has the /fairfight command to help them locate other 8 mans. 8v8 gets extra realm points for /fairfight to give incentive to fighting 8v8.

If you mean completely separate from frontier. Then it still holds true for the pvp small man zone and the events catered to small man that regularly get increase to 8v8.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:30 PM by thirian24
choopak wrote:
Amser wrote:
choopak wrote:
Care to explain then?

We are playing a rendition of the game thats far from the classic 1.65 that you think we are playing. So the "red is dead crowd", "realm pride" and "this is RvR pal!" people are just stuck in their ways and arent able to accept that there are other ways to enjoy this game in 2020. They have done tons and tons of QoL for ALL playstyles here on Phoenix. Zergs, smalls, 8man.. and finally a good QoL for solos. Why is it such an issue for so many people? Nobody bitches and complains about any QoL until it comes to the solos. Will everyone be happy again when solos are in the frontier getting rolled by smalls, 8s and stealth zergs? Because thats exactly what it seems like that you all want. Hell i went to the FZ to roam around solo for shits and giggles, and got rolled by, no shit, 3fg of hib sneaks at crim flag.

The zergs get to continue to do what they want, 8man gets their nice QoL and can continue to do as they please.

The funny thing is, the pvp zone even has QoL for smallmans, but they dont use it, because they want to also roam around and kill solos and easy prey.

QoL is all about making the game that we love, more enjoyable. So why is it so game breaking that 30ish people are finally able to enjoy the game with this QoL?

What you all actually want, is free rps from the solos while youre out roaming tasks, running to a keep etc etc etc.

choopak wrote: You are clearly in the zerg solo mindset so any effort to reason with you is futile, so I will not engage with you further.

^^^^^^ This seems to apply to you as well. But i fixed it for you.

I have really been refraining from commenting on any of the threads crying about the solo zone because its really pointless.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:46 PM by Amser
choopak wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:02 PM
Amser wrote:
choopak wrote:
Care to explain then?

Honestly I should have provided the short response that you gave me.

"You completely missed the point bud."

To continue an open dialogue, I agree with you that a solo population is inherently necessary in RvR for the game to continue to succeed. I don't think that throwing the solo's back into the frontier with no QoL adjustments is going to help though. People that came out to the PvP solo zone did so because it gave them something they wanted. A lot of the people there were new to soloing or brought retired characters out. Closing it down I don't think will give you what you desire. Those people will just go back to zerg/group play, or play one of their other characters. I have seen a number of people in the zone that came out of retirement just for the zone. They retired those characters because they were done with getting mowed down by groups.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:00 PM by choopak
thirian24 wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:30 PM
choopak wrote:
Amser wrote:
Care to explain then?

We are playing a rendition of the game thats far from the classic 1.65 that you think we are playing. So the "red is dead crowd", "realm pride" and "this is RvR pal!" people are just stuck in their ways and arent able to accept that there are other ways to enjoy this game in 2020. They have done tons and tons of QoL for ALL playstyles here on Phoenix. Zergs, smalls, 8man.. and finally a good QoL for solos. Why is it such an issue for so many people? Nobody bitches and complains about any QoL until it comes to the solos. Will everyone be happy again when solos are in the frontier getting rolled by smalls, 8s and stealth zergs? Because thats exactly what it seems like that you all want. Hell i went to the FZ to roam around solo for shits and giggles, and got rolled by, no shit, 3fg of hib sneaks at crim flag.

The zergs get to continue to do what they want, 8man gets their nice QoL and can continue to do as they please.

The funny thing is, the pvp zone even has QoL for smallmans, but they dont use it, because they want to also roam around and kill solos and easy prey.

QoL is all about making the game that we love, more enjoyable. So why is it so game breaking that 30ish people are finally able to enjoy the game with this QoL?

What you all actually want, is free rps from the solos while youre out roaming tasks, running to a keep etc etc etc.

choopak wrote: You are clearly in the zerg solo mindset so any effort to reason with you is futile, so I will not engage with you further.

I have really been refraining from commenting on any of the threads crying about the solo zone because its really pointless.

I attacked Amser without a /bow and I got ganged up on by thirian24. You guys do the same stuff on the forums as you do in the game with your bow towns and duel circles. So hilarious.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:02 PM by thirian24
choopak wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:00 PM
thirian24 wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:30 PM
choopak wrote: This game was designed with all forms of RvR taking place in the Frontier. No other segment gets a "special zone". Your preferred play style is inherently risky in how the game was designed. Dying and getting ran over is a consequence of being a solo player.

I attacked Amser without a /bow and I got ganged up on by thirian24. You guys do the same stuff on the forums as you do in the game with your bow towns and duel circles. So hilarious.

Welcome to the pvp zone, where youre free to attack or not attack anyone you choose. Same as the FZ.

I like how you side stepped everything i said though. GG
Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:20 PM by easytoremember
choopak wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:00 PM
Think you missed the point bud
Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:04 PM by Taniquetil
choopak wrote:
Solos are at the bottom of the food chain in RvR. When you take away the bottom of the food chain it has a ripple effect through the rest of it.

Mostly stayed quiet on this topic...but this is hilarious.

Read: “I wish there were more people to gank and 3v1”

Essentially the pvp zone provides a better opportunity for people to find fair fights, or simulations of fair fights in a frontier when a grp wont think twice about jamming a soloer or smaller numbers.

At the end of the day we are just playing the game for fun, I can guarantee you that the person on the receiving end of a 3v1 isnt having fun, so please do explain how perpetuating a system where 1 person gets ganked by 3 people or more is ‘good for long term server health’.

I’m not a fan of the /bow thing either fyi. That said, overall the idea of the pvp zone is great, but there is definitely room for improvement, encouraging roaming/movement for example. Day 1 was fantastic when everyone was figuring the zone out, lots of movement, organic fights, bizarre engagements. Now its getting more contained and predictable, yes. But hell its better than going out, getting steamrolled 5v1 and then getting emoted at the end. At least in the pvp zone people are able to somewhat ‘play the game’ and test out their character’s strengths and weaknesses.
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:04 AM by gotwqqd
The problem is many Solo players and “eight man”
Do not play the game as it’s intended.

Many ways to play doesn’t mean it’s good for the game.
Some just choose to ignore the realm for their self interest.
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:48 AM by Noashakra
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:04 AM

Shut up Mr "I win 1vs1 vs everyone", you are pissed because you are getting destroyed and you can only kill people at 10% life alone.
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:49 AM by protege
Noashakra wrote:
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:48 AM
gotwqqd wrote:

Shut up Mr "I win 1vs1 vs everyone", you are pissed because you are getting destroyed and you can only kill people at 10% life alone.

I still don't know who he is?
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:58 AM by gotwqqd
Noashakra wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

WTF are you talking about?
I’ve never bragged about beating anyone or being great at the game.
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:59 AM by Noashakra
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 1 Jul 2020 7:58 AM
Noashakra wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

I am sorry I thought you were someone else.
I apologize.
Wed 1 Jul 2020 8:05 AM by protege
gotwqqd wrote:
Noashakra wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

Yeah, the only thing you've claimed is that you're solo 90%(?) of the time, Mr. Incognito
Wed 1 Jul 2020 1:01 PM by gotwqqd
protege wrote:
Wed 1 Jul 2020 8:05 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
Noashakra wrote:

Yeah, the only thing you've claimed is that you're solo 90%(?) of the time, Mr. Incognito
And?
Wed 1 Jul 2020 6:31 PM by protege
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 1 Jul 2020 1:01 PM
protege wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

And?

I don't buy it. There is no sound reason to hide who you are with that claim if it is true.
Wed 1 Jul 2020 8:53 PM by gotwqqd
protege wrote:
Wed 1 Jul 2020 6:31 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
protege wrote:
And?

I don't buy it. There is no sound reason to hide who you are with that claim if it is true.

Yes you’re right the claim is so outrageous how could it be so?
Thu 2 Jul 2020 12:21 AM by easytoremember
protege wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:
protege wrote:
And?

You'll complain more about who his character is than if he turned out to be making it up
Thu 2 Jul 2020 8:26 AM by protege
easytoremember wrote:
Thu 2 Jul 2020 12:21 AM
protege wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:
And?

You'll complain more about who his character is than if he turned out to be making it up

You think? I never complain about people who solo 90% of the time =)
Thu 2 Jul 2020 3:05 PM by Qaewin
There are usually no more than about 20 ppl in the pvp zone. How can it possibly be breaking anything?
Thu 2 Jul 2020 3:25 PM by joshisanonymous
Qaewin wrote:
Thu 2 Jul 2020 3:05 PM
There are usually no more than about 20 ppl in the pvp zone. How can it possibly be breaking anything?

Maybe it's not. I was just observing that basically all the top RP earners were PvP Zone people and I imagine most people haven't noticed that. Whether that's indicative of a problem or not is up for discussion, hence the thread.

For what it's worth, though, 20 soloers being taken out of the frontier is not nothing for those who are trying to solo in the frontier. If there's no solo action in the frontier, then all soloers, whether they want to or not, will have to go to the PvP Zone. I only finally had some time to play last night since the changes were made, and I didn't have issues finding solo action in the frontier, so maybe it's not an issue, but one night is a small sample.
Tue 7 Jul 2020 1:53 AM by Mcnasty
PvP zone is an absolute DEATH SENTENSE to this server for soloers. This now feels like an i50 freeshard server where people login and duel.

If you want consistent good RPs, you go to the PvP zone. If you wanna go waste your time and hunt for people in FZ, you're fucked, because odds are you won't find half the action you'd get in the pvp zone.

Wanna know why GMs don't have a clue on this subject and will likely just leave this zone in place? Because THEY DONT PLAY SOLOS.

Can't wait for New World.
Tue 7 Jul 2020 6:06 AM by Noashakra
I was running at 9krp/hour yesterday solo on the zf, without trying too hard. I made 15krp, but yeah solo is dead...
Tue 7 Jul 2020 1:47 PM by Razur Ur
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 7 Jul 2020 6:06 AM
I was running at 9krp/hour yesterday solo on the zf, without trying too hard. I made 15krp, but yeah solo is dead...

you forget to say with nightshade :-D
Tue 7 Jul 2020 4:26 PM by joshisanonymous
I had crap luck last night around 10-12pm EST. Had one reasonable solo encounter in that time that I lost due to being caught off guard, so my RPs/hour were about 2000. There were 7-10 people consistently in the PvP Zone, though, some seemed to be doing 10-12k/hour and other 5-7k/hour. There were a bit less than 300 in the frontier during this time.

I don't know if this was just a one off, but my impression is that now, when RvR pop is relatively low, anyone who might've been a soloer in the frontier is gonna jump to the PvP zone, making soloing in the frontier really difficult during these times. Hopefully that's not the case, though.
Tue 7 Jul 2020 4:57 PM by Noashakra
Razur Ur wrote:
Tue 7 Jul 2020 1:47 PM
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 7 Jul 2020 6:06 AM

you forget to say with nightshade :-D
He plays SB
Tue 7 Jul 2020 7:44 PM by evert
Zone has now degenerated back into /bow-town, GMs should have a look. And solo in the frontier is dead so...
Tue 7 Jul 2020 7:47 PM by Mcnasty
Yep, nearly zero solo action in FZ. PvP zone is just ruining the play experience for solos...no idea why this server needs a dedicated 'pvp zone'.
Tue 7 Jul 2020 8:36 PM by Noashakra
evert wrote:
Tue 7 Jul 2020 7:44 PM
Zone has now degenerated back into /bow-town, GMs should have a look. And solo in the frontier is dead so...

I hate this zone, and I still think you are full of crap
Wed 8 Jul 2020 12:42 AM by lolhisup
I want the Solo Teleporter back from the Frontier towns. Maybe put a cooldown timer on it's use if it is a problem? It just makes it worthwhile to actually play solo, because if you die it isn't a super long process to get back to the enemy realms, and the thing is, for me at least like 90%+ of my fights, it is me 1 v X, where X might be 4+ people, so I am saying that my probability of death is quite high, so to make the travel less of a pain in the butt for solo, to me makes sense, the way I intend to use it at least. I can't say for people that "RP farm" as everyone here seems to call it.
Wed 8 Jul 2020 1:34 AM by jhaerik
Bow towns were one of the biggest reasons I could stand live..

Now all those folks are over here...
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics