Is there ever going to be this unicorn horn mythical 45 spec bow ability?

Started 30 May 2020
by imweasel
in Ask the Team
Be nice to know one way or another...
Sat 30 May 2020 4:36 PM by daytonchambers
It came in the form of crit shot no longer having an increased chance to uncover you when shooting, and pen arrow 2 punching bladeturn.

And speaking as a player of multiple archer classes.... that alone plus the damage boost is more than enough
Sun 31 May 2020 8:29 AM by imweasel
daytonchambers wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 4:36 PM
It came in the form of crit shot no longer having an increased chance to uncover you when shooting, and pen arrow 2 punching bladeturn.

And speaking as a player of multiple archer classes.... that alone plus the damage boost is more than enough

So what's the sweet spot spec for the best bang for your buck? 35? 40? 45? For a ranger or scout. Since it seems pretty linear on damage per spec point, at what point do you start getting diminishing returns? Is rapid fire 2 worth it?
Sun 31 May 2020 4:06 PM by daytonchambers
imweasel wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 8:29 AM
daytonchambers wrote:

So what's the sweet spot spec for the best bang for your buck? 35? 40? 45? For a ranger or scout. Since it seems pretty linear on damage per spec point, at what point do you start getting diminishing returns? Is rapid fire 2 worth it?

Rapidfire 2 has the same damage as the one gained at the 35 spec with better endo efficiency. Personally I have tried archery at 35, 40, 45, and 50 and while the damage now continues to increase past composite 52 archery you lose SO much versatility going too deep in the line.

For me, I pushed archery as high as I could while keeping composite 52 Mainhand weapon and composite 50 stealth. As I RR up I'll lower these to maintain the composite cap and shift those points over to boost archery further. This gives me decent ranged dps while not being instant food if I'm ever caught in melee while travelling.
Sun 31 May 2020 4:20 PM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

I think scout is in better place choice wise for higher/sniper bow spec
They can easily get their 45 shield and stealth
Their shield will do more damage than their sub30 weapon spec

Ranger with high bow are relegated to lurikeen
And it seems that if you drop bow low enough for any decent weapon spec you are the wrong race and of spec

Lurikeen 48 bow pf for best flight and 40 stealth for speed
Weapon is almost pointless

I think hunter is the best sniper

Still has good melee damage and the dog is very good
Don’t listen to the hunter who say otherwise
Sun 31 May 2020 5:01 PM by imweasel
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 4:06 PM
imweasel wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

Rapidfire 2 has the same damage as the one gained at the 35 spec with better endo efficiency. Personally I have tried archery at 35, 40, 45, and 50 and while the damage now continues to increase past composite 52 archery you lose SO much versatility going too deep in the line.

For me, I pushed archery as high as I could while keeping composite 52 Mainhand weapon and composite 50 stealth. As I RR up I'll lower these to maintain the composite cap and shift those points over to boost archery further. This gives me decent ranged dps while not being instant food if I'm ever caught in melee while travelling.

So 40 archery should be a really good, sweet spec spot for max utility and bow damage/weapon skill.
Sun 31 May 2020 5:12 PM by daytonchambers
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 4:20 PM

And it seems that if you drop bow low enough for any decent weapon spec you are the wrong race and of spec

When specced for the role, a 50recurve 48PF lurikeen ranger is hands down the best sniper in the game at this point in time. 360+ dex self buffed with capped qui and their own red damage add, there is simply no comparison.

That said, ANY archer that specs 50 bow is gonna have a rough ride when caught in melee, and the only class with a shred of hope here would be a scout with that spammable root BS they have now in the shields line.
Sun 31 May 2020 5:30 PM by gotwqqd
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 5:12 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 4:20 PM

When specced for the role, a 50recurve 48PF lurikeen ranger is hands down the best sniper in the game at this point in time. 360+ dex self buffed with capped qui and their own red damage add, there is simply no comparison.

That said, ANY archer that specs 50 bow is gonna have a rough ride when caught in melee, and the only class with a shred of hope here would be a scout with that spammable root BS they have now in the shields line.
48 is rather pointless for an6-8 damage increase along any bow spec
46 da is for the useless melee you will have
40 pf caps your quickness and allows many points to be put elsewhere
Even dropping bow to 48 which is a decrease of 6 or 7 gives a lot more flexibility
Sun 31 May 2020 8:23 PM by The Skies Asunder
I have been running with a hybrid spec for a while, and it's decent in most situations, but doesn't stand out in melee, or ranged overall. at rr5 I am:

Stealth: 35
Recurve Bow: 35
Pathfinding: 40
Blades: 39
Celtic Dual: 19

The benefits I see in this spec is that I can still kill squishy targets from range (2-4 shots depending on crit shot, PD and such), or even some slightly less squishy ones if they aren't paying enough attention. Rapid fire is absolutely fantastic for interrupts. I can also handle killing someone I have already shot once they are in melee most of the time. I am usually able to beat low RR assassins, or ones that are just kind of bad, but any decent one usually kills me. If purge and IP are both up, I have a shot at winning. Really though the largest benefit to this spec, for me, is not having to respec in order to not be terrible at one or the other from time to time.
Thu 25 Jun 2020 10:43 PM by daytonchambers
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 5:30 PM
daytonchambers wrote:

Even dropping bow to 48 which is a decrease of 6 or 7 gives a lot more flexibility

Thread Necro. Sue me.

The red damage add applies to bow damage as well as melee damage.

The red D/Q buff on a lurikeen will absolutely overcap your quickness IF you put +75 quick into your template. So you shave those imbue points down and apply them elsewhere in your template, while still maintaining capped quickness.

I say again, when specced for the role, a 50recurve 48PF lurikeen ranger is hands down the best sniper in the game.
Fri 26 Jun 2020 4:30 AM by gotwqqd
daytonchambers wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020 10:43 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

Thread Necro. Sue me.

The red damage add applies to bow damage as well as melee damage.

The red D/Q buff on a lurikeen will absolutely overcap your quickness IF you put +75 quick into your template. So you shave those imbue points down and apply them elsewhere in your template, while still maintaining capped quickness.

I say again, when specced for the role, a 50recurve 48PF lurikeen ranger is hands down the best sniper in the game.
Ranger template is very easy
No need to spare quickness through template and need spend 91 spec points better spent elsewhere
Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:35 AM by daytonchambers
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020 4:30 AM
daytonchambers wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

1: The red damage add applies to bow damage as well as melee damage.

2: The red D/Q buff on a lurikeen will absolutely overcap your quickness IF you put +75 quick into your template. So you shave those imbue points down and apply them elsewhere in your template, while still maintaining capped quickness.

No need to spare quickness through template and need spend 91 spec points better spent elsewhere

If I want to be a pure sniper I want as much dex as possible. That's what is being discussed here. Those 91pts are going to be wasted if you try to build melee viability into an archer that's specced 48-50bow, and you're a fool that's just theorycrafting with no experience if you think otherwise. The reason I bring this up is because you posted that hunters make the best snipers, which is just flat out wrong. Hunters may be a better HYBRID spec class in some cases, but as far as whacking a target for top damage with a bow Ranger comes out on top 10 times out of 10.

My ranger is in the low rr7s, and my hunter is just shy of rr5.

With a 5.5 speed bow, more dex, built in damage add, my ranger blows the doors off my hunter when it comes to shooting at people, and my ranger isn't even specced as a full sniper. My hunter will gain a little dps once she's rr5 but will still be way behind due solely to the fact that I don't have access to a 5.5 speed bow so I will never hit as hard with the same spec setup as a ranger. Period.
Fri 26 Jun 2020 11:27 AM by Centenario
I think the scout shield style should be put lower at 20 Shield then scout could go:

29 shield
50 weapon
40 bow
29 stealth
Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:40 PM by gotwqqd
daytonchambers wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:35 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

2: The red D/Q buff on a lurikeen will absolutely overcap your quickness IF you put +75 quick into your template. So you shave those imbue points down and apply them elsewhere in your template, while still maintaining capped quickness.

If I want to be a pure sniper I want as much dex as possible. That's what is being discussed here. Those 91pts are going to be wasted if you try to build melee viability into an archer that's specced 48-50bow, and you're a fool that's just theorycrafting with no experience if you think otherwise. The reason I bring this up is because you posted that hunters make the best snipers, which is just flat out wrong. Hunters may be a better HYBRID spec class in some cases, but as far as whacking a target for top damage with a bow Ranger comes out on top 10 times out of 10.

With a 5.5 speed bow, more dex, built in damage add, my ranger blows the doors off my hunter when it comes to shooting at people, and my ranger isn't even specced as a full sniper. My hunter will gain a little dps once she's rr5 but will still be way behind due solely to the fact that I don't have access to a 5.5 speed bow so I will never hit as hard with the same spec setup as a ranger. Period.
I prefaced the hunter comment about when no aid
And getting closed on by melee.

And I still opt for a ranger with 40 or 46 pf
And 47/48 bow
I think then 40!stealth is possible
Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:43 AM by Cadebrennus
daytonchambers wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:35 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

With 48 PF and high Archery a Ranger will put out the best solo Archery damage but has ZERO tools to control a ranged fight. This is where the Hunter excels. The Scout is the second best in a fight vs other Archers, but that's about it.
Sat 27 Jun 2020 1:10 PM by imweasel
daytonchambers wrote:

Still think it's enough with the damage boost now?

I certainly don't think so...
Sat 27 Jun 2020 6:24 PM by Horus
imweasel wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020 1:10 PM
daytonchambers wrote:

Not many archers in the game have higher bow dmg than me. 50(+19) bow, 48 PF, Full aug dex, MoA to max the PF buffs. 5.5 speed MP bow. With that I have zero melee...no chance at all if it gets to melee range. It is the ultimate all or nothing. If I lose the interrupt initiative, I'm dead, if someone gets into melee range, I'm dead. I have no tools to counter that.

I can say the dmg seems a bit sub par for the points spent An ellyll sage can out heal my bow dmg. That is frustrating. The penetrating arrow thing is OK I guess. For me I still use rapid fire to clr the bubble then use a crit shot. I hate having my crit shot dmg cut in half...and with the 15 sec delay...that is forever before you can do another.

It was great when they 1st made the change ....maybe a bit too much when you factored in 3 str relics. But now they have pushed it back too far.

And now it just encourages the behavior they didn't want...archer groups. You almost have to grp to get kills. When the dmg was better I was roaming around solo because at least I knew I had a solo chance. Now it is back to running with a bg or hanging around a group of archers camping walls, docks etc.
Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:31 PM by daytonchambers
imweasel wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

Personally I still want to see Sure Shot added as a tool to regain initiative.

And I am not a fan of the BT punch on the second penetrating arrow, as I tend to rapidfire my first shot to counter bladeturns and now that it punches the target gets a more noticeable warning that I'm gunning for them and run sooner than they used to, which sucks.
Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:39 PM by daytonchambers
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020 10:43 AM
With 48 PF and high Archery a Ranger will put out the best solo Archery damage but has ZERO tools to control a ranged fight. This is where the Hunter excels. The Scout is the second best in a fight vs other Archers, but that's about it.

In an actual fight this is true, the dog can fill the job of interrupter to regain initiative. I was referring to sniping though and the damage output of the three archer classes.

That said I have witnessed on more than a few occasions lately where a ranger simply evade stunned my dog on inc to continue to gap close on me once the fight starts, and once they get me into a melee fight I'm a dead duck with my spec.
Sat 27 Jun 2020 11:58 PM by imweasel
Horus wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020 6:24 PM
imweasel wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

Not many archers in the game have higher bow dmg than me. 50(+19) bow, 48 PF, Full aug dex, MoA to max the PF buffs. 5.5 speed MP bow. With that I have zero melee...no chance at all if it gets to melee range. It is the ultimate all or nothing. If I lose the interrupt initiative, I'm dead, if someone gets into melee range, I'm dead. I have no tools to counter that.

I can say the dmg seems a bit sub par for the points spent An ellyll sage can out heal my bow dmg. That is frustrating. The penetrating arrow thing is OK I guess. For me I still use rapid fire to clr the bubble then use a crit shot. I hate having my crit shot dmg cut in half...and with the 15 sec delay...that is forever before you can do another.

It was great when they 1st made the change ....maybe a bit too much when you factored in 3 str relics. But now they have pushed it back too far.

And now it just encourages the behavior they didn't want...archer groups. You almost have to grp to get kills. When the dmg was better I was roaming around solo because at least I knew I had a solo chance. Now it is back to running with a bg or hanging around a group of archers camping walls, docks etc.

Exactly.
Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:47 AM by Forlornhope
Horus wrote:
imweasel wrote:
daytonchambers wrote:

Based on what you were saying, the damage of going as high bow as you have+the ridiculous amount of PF is not worth it. Why not just respec to something more reasonable?
Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:08 AM by Horus
Forlornhope wrote:
Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:47 AM
Horus wrote:
imweasel wrote:

Based on what you were saying, the damage of going as high bow as you have+the ridiculous amount of PF is not worth it. Why not just respec to something more reasonable?

You would think but as I keen ranger who has tried every spec imaginable there just really isn't another option. I don't believe in the hybrid spec. I tried it for a while, Bow damage is even more frustrating and still can't win melee fights vs full melee spec 'sins or any other tankish or pet class. I think you are really kind of stuck, Either full melee shar or celt, or full bow keen Ranger. Just my opinion...
Sun 28 Jun 2020 8:53 PM by Cadebrennus
Horus wrote:
Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:08 AM
Forlornhope wrote:
Horus wrote:

You would think but as I keen ranger who has tried every spec imaginable there just really isn't another option. I don't believe in the hybrid spec. I tried it for a while, Bow damage is even more frustrating and still can't win melee fights vs full melee spec 'sins or any other tankish or pet class. I think you are really kind of stuck, Either full melee shar or celt, or full bow keen Ranger. Just my opinion...

Basically yes to this, and even then a full melee spec Ranger is still pretty weak toe-to-toe vs anything with poison or anything on a Tank table. My Merc hits as hard with a Shortbow as a 12 Archery Ranger does with their bow.
Mon 29 Jun 2020 7:59 PM by The Skies Asunder
Horus wrote:
Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:08 AM
Forlornhope wrote:
Horus wrote:

This is pretty accurate. Though I am currently hybrid spec with 35 bow, and 39 blades (Celt). I do okay most of the time, and can kill assassins around my rank and lower in melee when RAs are up, and sometimes when I just get lucky on the RNG without purge/IP. Every once in a while I will get super lucky and kill a high rank one, but it is rare. Good assassins, or high rank ones still destroy me though. Ranger will basically always lose to any tank that has a shield 1v1 regardless of how you spec. I do miss being full melee, but I have a NS so it seems largely pointless to go back to melee on the ranger. Might switch to Elf, and go full bow.
Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:15 AM by Centenario
Horus wrote:
For me I still use rapid fire to clr the bubble then use a crit shot. I hate having my crit shot dmg cut in half...and with the 15 sec delay...that is forever before you can do another.

It's not supposed to work, if the opponent is sprinting, its a gamble to use critshot and it can fail.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics