Hero CS spec input

Started 8 Jun 2020
by Chojin
in Hibernia
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some additional input, after I had checked some forum posts already and I was hoping you could assist me in this matter.
These hero specs are for 8on8 and small scale.
I have an eye on one of the following specs (I added some additional information from some tests versus dummies with lvl 51 average gear):

1) 50 cs 50 shield 10 blades 27 parry
    slam:
    113 (-39) damage
    14,9% missrate to dummy
    blades sidestyle:
    52 (-18) damage
    6,94% missrate to dummy

2) 50 cs 50 shield 15 blades 24 parry
    slam:
    113 (-39) damage
    14,9% missrate to dummy
    blades sidestyle:
    57 (-20) damage
    6,69% missrate to dummy
    lvl 15 followup:
    62 (-21) damage

3) 50 cs 42 shield 34 blades 20 parry
    slam:
    107 (-37) damage
    missrate 15,3% to dummy
    blades sidestyle:
    76 (-26) damage
    5,75% missrate

4) 50 cs 42 shield 39 blades 6 parry
    slam:
    107 (-37) damage
    missrate 15,3% to dummy
    blades lvl 18 anytimer:
    76 (-26) damage
    10,5% missrate

First of all, I am not sure whether these figures versus dummies are actually helping and whether I executed these tests correctly or have taken everything into consideration. However, comparing these figures one could come to the following conclusion:
    The slam damage between lvl 42 and lvl 50 shield is totally neglectable and anyway not the purpose of using a shield.
    The slam missrate between lvl 42 and lvl 50 shield versus dummies is ~0,4%. To me this sounds totally neglectable. Im curious whether you have other information available. Of course, hitting with your shieldstyles is something you definately want.
    The blockrate between lvl 42 and lvl 50 shield is 5% according to block math. Considering you want to guard your teammates, 5% more block is something you want to have. However, is it worth the pick?
    15 blades might be an interesting pick to have for the sidestyle followup with haste debuff.
    39 blades might be an interesting pick to have for the anytime followup with haste debuff.
    The blades sidestyle damage between lvl 10/15 and lvl 34/39 blades is quite huge and seem to be increased by up to 50%.
    The blades sidestyle missrate between lvl 10/15 and lvl 34/39 blades versus dummies is ~1,2%. To me this sounds totally neglectable.

With that being said, it comes down to the following decision: 5% more block versus more 1h blades damage. The hitrates for shield styles and blades styles seem to not impact this decision that much.

Personally, I would like to go for 50 shield and to provide more block to the guarded teammates. On the other hand, providing more 1h blades damage while guarding your teammates (maybe even more useful in smallscale instead of 8on8) is not only nice-to-have, but might be the more valueable choice. However, once a target is crowd controlled you dont need to guard anymore and would anyway swap back to CS. So the increased 1h damage is only adding value for a certain situation.

So, what do you think? Is one stat more valuable than the other? Can you compensate/supplement a certain stat (damage, block) better via realm abilites than the other? What do you prefer and why do you prefer it?

I am excited about your input and looking forward to your feedback, highly appreciated.
Thank you very much and kind regards!
Mon 8 Jun 2020 5:30 PM by Cadebrennus
As the patron saint of unusual specs, let me suggest the following;

39 Blades
35 Shield
50 CS
23 Parry

Running around with your small Shield you'll look like a non-tank. You will have access to the anytime 2 part ASR in Blades AND have decent damage with it. You still have 50 CS for maximum "bring the pain."

Considering that Slam gets purged 99% of the time, you won't miss it much IMO. If you're very good with positional styles you can make the 35 Shield work. If you aren't any good with positionals then you will want to stick with 42+ Shield, and just disregard the spec I posted above.
Mon 8 Jun 2020 9:47 PM by Noashakra
You want the slam, because even if your slam is purge, often enough you will be able to use it twice during a fight, also you can numb bait and then slam.
The other thing is that if someone purge your slam, they don't have purge for a root of your drood or anything else.
Mon 8 Jun 2020 9:55 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Noashakra wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 9:47 PM
You want the slam, because even if your slam is purge, often enough you will be able to use it twice during a fight, also you can numb bait and then slam.
The other thing is that if someone purge your slam, they don't have purge for a root of your drood or anything else.

Druids, shamans, and casters who root are the bane of every peeler's existence.

"Hey, I'm here for one reason, and you just made my entire job impossible so you could root that det tank for a whopping 7 seconds!"
Mon 8 Jun 2020 9:57 PM by Noashakra
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 9:55 PM
Noashakra wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 9:47 PM

Druids, shamans, and casters who root are the bane of every peeler's existence.

"Hey, I'm here for one reason, and you just made my entire job impossible so you could root that det tank for a whipping 7 seconds!"

sometimes, it's better to have a root that last 10s and give space to your mage than nothing.
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:32 PM by Freedomcall
If you are not going to take 39 blades, there is no reason not to go 50 shield.
Side snare follow-up can be pretty good in theory, but you won't be using it in reality.

I suggest 2 options for CS hero.
1. 50CS 42shield 39blades 6parry
39blades offers you pretty nice anytime chain with 30% de-haste.

2. 50CS 50shield 21piercing 19parry
At 21piercing, you get 15sec side snare which is 1 sec longer than 10blades.
It is only 1sec but 19parry is just enough. going higher than this won't change much.

Just forget about 1h dmg. Your goal is to peel and guard.
If you want higher dmg, just use CS styles.
Tue 9 Jun 2020 1:33 AM by ExcretusMaximus
Noashakra wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 9:57 PM
sometimes, it's better to have a root that last 10s and give space to your mage than nothing.

I'd agree, but in every instance of a tank being rooted and snare immune I've ever experienced, the end result is the tank being bitched at for "not doing your job."
Tue 9 Jun 2020 4:05 AM by imweasel
Freedomcall wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:32 PM
Side snare follow-up can be pretty good in theory, but you won't be using it in reality.

It is only 1sec but 19parry is just enough. going higher than this won't change much.

I think #1 spec is the most versatile. Can be very defensive sword and board.

I am not a huge fan of parry. Slam + big pointy stick should do well.
Tue 9 Jun 2020 5:40 AM by Cadebrennus
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 9 Jun 2020 1:33 AM
Noashakra wrote:

I'd agree, but in every instance of a tank being rooted and snare immune I've ever experienced, the end result is the tank being bitched at for "not doing your job."

That's what the short bow is for

Every time I'm rooted it usually means a caster is within 1500 range so I get at least a few shots of interrupting with the short bow when playing a tank.
Tue 9 Jun 2020 7:31 AM by Chojin
Freedomcall wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:32 PM

Oh you are absolutely right, I forgot about option number two. I edited in the original post. Although one could think the question between 5% block and more 1h damage would remain, it provides the valueable lvl 39 style.
Sun 14 Jun 2020 9:02 AM by Chojin
Any more input from others?
Sun 14 Jun 2020 11:53 AM by asnusia
i like the spec n. 1. max defense and max dmg
Wed 8 Jul 2020 8:01 AM by Patron
50 cs 50 shield 6 blade rest parry...

but u need to switch shield / cs in battle and the 6 blade just for the taunt...
And 50 shield because of 50 shield style 10 sec stun and high def penalty. Oh and ofc when u want to stun a target 50 cs basespec give cap weaponskill while 42 give less.

Up to you
Wed 8 Jul 2020 8:14 AM by labra
I'd go 50CS, 42 Shield, 39 Blade.

You lose 5% blockrate but you gain the ASR, hence less hits
Tue 6 Oct 2020 2:29 AM by gotwqqd
Why are all suggested specs so negligent of parry?
Wouldn’t
50CS
42Shield
38Parry
10Blades
Be good?
Tue 6 Oct 2020 6:57 AM by imweasel
I think that you cannot go wrong with 50 cs and 42 shield.

I don't see a good reason to go to 50 shield.

How ever much blades/pierce and parry is up to you to fit your play style.

I'm not a big fan of parry. I mean how many times will you have a spear out between swings? Most will swing and swap out for shield immediately for max defense between swings or to go slam something else.

So I'm in favor of 39slash, 42shield, 50cs and 6 parry.
Tue 6 Oct 2020 9:07 AM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Tue 6 Oct 2020 6:57 AM

I'm not a big fan of parry. I mean how many times will you have a spear out between swings? Most will swing and swap out for shield immediately for max defense between swings or to go slam something else.

I’m not a big fan of swapping between every swing, personally I think it’s bad design allowing it with no penalties.
But wouldn’t you want high parry rate for cs reactionaries ?
Tue 6 Oct 2020 12:04 PM by imweasel
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 6 Oct 2020 9:07 AM
imweasel wrote:
Tue 6 Oct 2020 6:57 AM

I’m not a big fan of swapping between every swing, personally I think it’s bad design allowing it with no penalties.
But wouldn’t you want high parry rate for cs reactionaries ?

Sure, if that's how you want to play.

I think the core spec should be 50cs and 42shield and spec slash/pierce + parry on how you want to play.

I get a shield out as soon as I can so the parry styles in cs are not critical to me.
Tue 13 Oct 2020 1:49 AM by bigne88
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 9 Jun 2020 1:33 AM
Noashakra wrote:

[/quote

Ichor is made for this reason.
Root all then reset all.]
Fri 16 Oct 2020 4:32 AM by gotwqqd
CS line is far better after changes coming up, I’d like to get option of slash spear though, same as hunters have option.

It’s a shame no other hib class has the cs choice.
Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:33 AM by Astaa
A spear hero is an iconic DAOC class/spec, CS should remain unique to the class. I have mixed feelings about slash spears but I do think heavy tanks, and heroes in particular, need some tweaking to fit with NF and the play-styles that brings.

Climbing spikes as an RA (on a 5 minute timer or something) would be a good addition to a class that doesn't have a lot to do in sieges. A really cool idea (imo!) would be to give CS heroes a throw spear ability, normal style damage, 5 second self disarm or something.
Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:59 PM by IdiamVonGawaine
Astaa wrote:
Sun 18 Oct 2020 9:33 AM
...... 5 second self disarm or something.

Nope.

You can keep it.
Tue 20 Oct 2020 9:36 PM by Nheryn
Astaa wrote:
A spear hero is an iconic DAOC class/spec, CS should remain unique to the class. I have mixed feelings about slash spears but I do think heavy tanks, and heroes in particular, need some tweaking to fit with NF and the play-styles that brings.

Hi
hero is already great no need to change something <3

@chojin : I run with 50 Spears / 50 Parry rest in shield it's a solo spe but really funny to play if u want try - yeah no slam héhé - but if you want slam you can try 50 Spears 42 Shield and rest in Parry

Have a good day
Fri 6 Nov 2020 9:08 PM by Kappu
What are the opinions on this spec

44 CS
44 LW
42 Shield
10 Blades
9 Parry

This gives you access to every melee damage type you lose the back stun on LW, but you still have slam which is easier to land. I had someone suggest this to me and was just curious about what everyone else thinks of it.
Wed 14 Apr 2021 10:46 AM by Dakkhon
Nheryn wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020 9:36 PM
Astaa wrote:

Hi
hero is already great no need to change something <3

@chojin : I run with 50 Spears / 50 Parry rest in shield it's a solo spe but really funny to play if u want try - yeah no slam héhé - but if you want slam you can try 50 Spears 42 Shield and rest in Parry

Have a good day

Ty for posting this. I am bored and want to try a melee class and chose hero. Also due to time I will be playing solo after I get him to 50. This spec is what i needed to see. I am new to the class so this will be a good challenge and fun imo. If any0ne else has an opinion on a solo Hero spec let me know. I am curious. Oh I will be Luri as well lol. Yes I am going all in here hehe. TIA to any replies on this.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics