Bans for harassment in Pm

Started 1 Jun 2020
by Jeterix
in Suggestions
So the server rules state that it is the players responsibility to ignore anyone that is harrassing them over personal messages.

Personally I don't like being harassed at all.

How many people think it would be a good idea for the GMs to start banning people that harass others over PM or group chat?

It seems fair enough right? If you harass someone over PMs or group chat you should be banned for at least 3 days.
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:07 PM by Quik
Group chat there should be punishment.

PM's? Just ignore it if it is just a few comments.

If they get really abusive I would still report it.
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:49 PM by Riac
/ignore <player name>
problem solved, no need to even bother the gms.
why does there need to be an extra rule for this? be less of a pussy imo.
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:53 PM by Jeterix
Quik wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:07 PM

Well if it did get really abusive and you reported it you might be disappointed. You may be unaware that the server rules 7.1 states that:

Players are allowed to harass each other as long as it is over pm
Tue 2 Jun 2020 12:56 AM by Quik
Jeterix wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:53 PM
Quik wrote:

Well if it did get really abusive and you reported it you might be disappointed. You may be unaware that the server rules 7.1 states that:

I will bet you money if the harassment gets bad enough (racial/sexual/aggressive) the staff would take steps.

It is 1 thing for them to say abuse through PM is ok, and it is totally different if it goes beyond normal abuse.

Ask on discord where the GM's are and see what they say.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 1:00 AM by Quik
Riac wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:49 PM
/ignore <player name>

This would be fine if /gnore worked on the entire account.

I know of too many instances where players just keep making new characters just to try to keep an argument going.

Yes we can keep ignoring them but we shouldn't have to.

The minute they make another character to keep it up after /ignore they should be up for a 3 day ban at a minimum.

Or make /ignore account wide.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 2:13 AM by Jeterix
Riac wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:49 PM
/ignore <player name>

The fact that I am already being called a pussy for wanting to not be harassed speaks volumes for how trash this community is.

Thank you for proving my point?
Tue 2 Jun 2020 2:15 AM by Jeterix
Quik wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 12:56 AM
Jeterix wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:53 PM
Quik wrote:

An
I will bet you money if the harassment gets bad enough (racial/sexual/aggressive) the staff would take steps.

It is 1 thing for them to say abuse through PM is ok, and it is totally different if it goes beyond normal abuse.

Ask on discord where the GM's are and see what they say.

And you would lose that bet. But I am not a betting man.

What do you think is beyond normal abuse? Isn't any abuse bad enough?

I did talk to the GMs and I was referred to section 7.1

I am just telling you guys the reality that no matter how bad it gets you are still going to be referred to 7.1.

Can't we all agree that people shouldn't have to be harassed while playing a game?

Also, you may want to note that the bad words chat filter doesn't work if you use all caps.

I can only take one screen shot at a time come on.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:29 AM by gruenesschaf
For "normal" harassment /ignore should be enough. However, if the other person uses other characters to circumvent /ignore it's something else and you should just contact a gm via discord.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:35 AM by Jeterix
gruenesschaf wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:29 AM
For "normal" harassment /ignore should be enough. However, if the other person uses other characters to circumvent /ignore it's something else and you should just contact a gm via discord.

I guess that is the point I am debating in this thread. Who here thinks that players should be banned for harassing other players even if the /ignore command is used afterwards?

Because even if I can ignore people I am still being disrespected.

My suggestion is that you change the server rules so that if people are disrespected in a PM the player that was disrespectful or harassing should be banned for three days.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:41 AM by ExcretusMaximus
Jeterix wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:35 AM
Because even if I can ignore people I am still being disrespected.

Grow up and get used to it. The world is a harsh place, and full of assholes; you can't have someone arrested for calling you a dickhead in the real world, but you want to ban people from a game for three days because they're mean to you? Use the ignore function the instant they send you something and you've wasted an entire 2 seconds of your day.

Seriously, if you can't handle being "disrespected" how do you function in the real world?
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:46 AM by Jeterix
Well when I am talking about disrespect I am talking about a continued disrespect over a period of 1-2 weeks that culminated in the person that was harassing me cussing me out multiple times in all caps. Whats the jury? He is justified in cussing me out?

Put some respect on my name!

I think that it is strange that you could even compare being arrested to being banned on a server. The two things are simply uncomparable.

Let me explain.

When you are banned from a server you can't play a video game.

When you are in jail you have your rights taken away and you are locked in a cell.

And people don't talk to you the same in real life as when they are behind a computer screen either.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 4:41 AM by thirian24
Jeterix wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:46 AM
And people don't talk to you the same in real life as when they are behind a computer screen either.

I promise you, if you deserve it, I'd tell you whatever to your face.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 4:58 AM by Ruggz
rofl at thread /ignore if u got issues
Tue 2 Jun 2020 5:01 AM by Riac
Only on phoenix do ppl pretend it's hard to /ignore someone.
I'm waiting for the 5 head fucker to make the harass name ashartyvfujdaibdtjdwucdiffds. Try and /ignore that mother fucker rofl
Tue 2 Jun 2020 5:08 AM by Astaa
'respect' what are you on about?

Just /ignore, move on.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 5:40 AM by Sepplord
in general i see where you are coming from, and in a perfect world people who do such petty shit would get punished...

in the real world though, the staff has tons of shit to do and in their free time they are building, maintaining and progressing the server, well, at least if they find time among the drama. Do you have ANY idea of the scope of a task like policing trashtalk?
It stacks up immensely fast and becomes an overwhelming task and takes away from all of their other jobs.

The rule isn't there to allow harrassers to reign free, it is there so you police your private chats yourself and they only have to deal with the manageble problem of dealing with the notorius harrassers that cannot control themselves and do it in all chats and via multiple characters
Tue 2 Jun 2020 12:39 PM by Jeterix
So they can deal with the notorious harassers that do it in all chats?

Have you read advice chat lately? When are those people going to be dealt with? I turned off advice chat because I was tired of my chat feed being spammed all day every day with the most random off topic spam.

The gamemasters are too busy to moderate their server just doesn't seem like a good excuse to me. Why launch a server if you don't have time to moderate it? Uthgard seemed to have no problem moderating abuse.

I don't think that it takes that long. All they have to do is look at a screenshot and ban someone.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 1:02 PM by Loki
gruenesschaf wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:29 AM
For "normal" harassment /ignore should be enough.
Must be a new thing, Cooky banned me for calling someone a “clown” in a PM.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:22 PM by Sepplord
Jeterix wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 12:39 PM
I don't think that it takes that long. All they have to do is look at a screenshot and ban someone.

That is the "mindset-problem" i was hinting at with my previous post.
For the single user and their problem, it is very often "only a small amount of work" but from the staff POV it's tons of stuff.

Looking at one screenshot and banning someone or not is easy. (but that's not all, you also have to inform banned person, document it in the ban forum, maybe dispute the ban with the banned person, as they are allowed to be heard about their bans, etc...) But that aside, even if it is "only looking at a screenshot": One might send screenshots uncropped or hard to read, the next sends 10screenshots with half an hour back and forth before an actual offense happens, the next sends a screenshot but he has heavily edited it, and the next sends a screenshot that looks unedited but was completely faked with things that were never said. All of those cases have to be accounted for, or otherwise your server is suddenly the server that just bans people without evidence.

So, how much time is acceptable to spend? How much time is too much? The opinions may differ. Especially when you ask different people from different groups.

Should the server have one person monitoring chats at all time? Only when population is above 500players? Active monitoring or just reacting to complaints or "when staff is online anyways"? How many reports do you need to work on per day so that no report sits around longer than 24hours? Or is 24h too long? Or too short? Who gets to decide all that?

The answer is obvious, the staff gets to decide what they deem appropriate for their server, and the middle way of giving a tiny bit of responsibility to their userbase to police their private chats themselves isn't anything to write home about
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:26 PM by Razur Ur
You reap what you have sown
Tue 9 Jun 2020 2:04 PM by Jeterix
Yep well I haven't really logged on since I made this post. So I hope you know you are losing players.
Wed 10 Jun 2020 7:23 AM by Sepplord
how do you deal with assholes IRL?
Serious question, not trying to flame you...

but ignoring someone ingame is far easier, and when they circumvent your ignore, gruenes has already confirmed that they would help and take action against the person...

It was also explained why they don't have time nor will to handle each playerinteraction themselves manually in their free time, but you don't even adress that and double down with the "information" about how the server is losing "a" player over this
Wed 10 Jun 2020 8:11 AM by Boo
I agree that /ignore people who insults via pm is an easy and effective way.

The situation is different with the insults in the BG.
It seems in albion more and more "normal" that people in a public bg are being offended.
To call players e.g. as wankers (greek: malaka , mlk) or Germans as merkel-malakas should not be tolerated . At least in a public bg.

Of course you could just leave the bg if you don't like the rude conversation, but especially the bg in the evening during the main time are an integral part of the game. Taking keeps as a group is simply not possible at this time.

It would be a good start if players who have been banished several times for insults are no longer allowed to run public bg and are also banned from the region chat.
Anyone who has been banished several times and still does not change their behavior has proven to be unsuitable for a mmorpg and civilized interaction with other people.

However, I fear that the current behavior will not be punished and that sooner or later albion will be as deeply divided as midgard was back then.
Wed 10 Jun 2020 9:03 AM by Ruggz
Jeterix wrote:
Tue 9 Jun 2020 2:04 PM
Yep well I haven't really logged on since I made this post. So I hope you know you are losing players.

If you are still crying over this, maybe take the time to sort out your IRL instead.
Everyone else can use the /ignore but YOU?

Its quite simple if you wont bother with the simplest commands, then its probably your own fault? You might act innocent, but maybe you had it coming with your own actions?

Unless someone threatens you irl or worse, follkw the guideline like everyone else..

If you are never coming back, well then... see ya never
Wed 10 Jun 2020 12:54 PM by dbeattie71
The internet tough guys came out in full force lmao.
Wed 10 Jun 2020 5:31 PM by Riac
compared to op, i dont think it takes much to qualify as a "tough guy" lol
Sat 13 Jun 2020 5:39 AM by Jeterix
I guess that part of my point is that if you are in a BG with about 100 people regularly there are a lot of people that are disrespectful especially if you do anything there are always going to be people that disagree with what you did. And just because one out of 100 people disagrees with what you did they have now decided they are going to flame you and curse at you in PM. So why is that any different from public chat?

Am I wrong or is it against the rules to curse at people in public chat? Why is private chat any different when anyone can do it? Maybe if the private chat functioned differently then I could understand. It would just say you have an incoming message from rugg then I would say decline. But it doesn't work like that. Dudes can up and cuss you out before you have a chance to decline.

Look at this from a perspective as a person playing in a BG with 100 other people. There is nowhere else that you can find another group of 100 people to roll with if you don't like the ones you are with. So in every sense this is a public space. Now you are telling me that any old joe out of these 100 people can curse me out over private chat but they can't curse me out over public chat. There is no difference. We are in a public space.
Sat 13 Jun 2020 5:43 AM by Jeterix
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 10 Jun 2020 7:23 AM

If you really want to know, then you go first. How would you respond to someone if they bumped into you at the grocery store and then started cussing you out and telling you that you are a fucking idiot that is so worthless that you can't even control your cart.
Sat 13 Jun 2020 6:30 AM by thirian24
Jeterix wrote:
Sat 13 Jun 2020 5:39 AM
I guess that part of my point is that if you are in a BG with about 100 people regularly there are a lot of people that are disrespectful especially if you do anything there are always going to be people that disagree with what you did. And just because one out of 100 people disagrees with what you did they have now decided they are going to flame you and curse at you in PM. So why is that any different from public chat?

Am I wrong or is it against the rules to curse at people in public chat? Why is private chat any different when anyone can do it? Maybe if the private chat functioned differently then I could understand. It would just say you have an incoming message from rugg then I would say decline. But it doesn't work like that. Dudes can up and cuss you out before you have a chance to decline.

Look at this from a perspective as a person playing in a BG with 100 other people. There is nowhere else that you can find another group of 100 people to roll with if you don't like the ones you are with. So in every sense this is a public space. Now you are telling me that any old joe out of these 100 people can curse me out over private chat but they can't curse me out over public chat. There is no difference. We are in a public space.

Crying MFers like you is why we have safe spaces now.
Sat 13 Jun 2020 11:49 AM by Sepplord
Jeterix wrote:
Sat 13 Jun 2020 5:43 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 10 Jun 2020 7:23 AM

If you really want to know, then you go first. How would you respond to someone if they bumped into you at the grocery store and then started cussing you out and telling you that you are a fucking idiot that is so worthless that you can't even control your cart.

I would be confused and probably upset about such peoples existanced. Assume some mental or other problems and try to ignore/get away from them. Which in a RL situation is much harder than tiping /ignore ingame

There i went first, but still, you don't have to tell me. I didnt write it because i wanted to know, it was a way to mention that dealing with unpleasant situations isnt something exclusive to online games but happens everywhere, and being able to deal with it it to some degree is something worth figuring out

Additional food for thought: on page1 riac called you a pussy and as reaction you called the whole community trash. So basically you lashed out at me and tons of other people and from our perspective there is no reason for that at all. Noone really took offense and we just ignored it.
Sat 13 Jun 2020 4:22 PM by joshisanonymous
thirian24 wrote:
Sat 13 Jun 2020 6:30 AM
Crying MFers like you is why we have safe spaces now.

You literally spend all your time on this forum crying for a safe space for solos...
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics