Re: Best ranger spec

imweasel wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:48 pm
Cadebrennus wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:25 pm
imweasel wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:17 pm

But I thought the 18cd style was mandatory?
18 CD mandatory yes, and 39 Blades is also a must have for any melee at all. But your damage over time suffers with such a low CD spec.
So you're saying that pure bow spec ranger just won't work as well and is situational.
If sniper spec don’t bother with cd @18
You ain’t gonna get it off
Nor want to start a fight. With it

gotwqqd wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 am
imweasel wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:

18 CD mandatory yes, and 39 Blades is also a must have for any melee at all. But your damage over time suffers with such a low CD spec.
So you're saying that pure bow spec ranger just won't work as well and is situational.
18+15 CD going to be high enough weapon spec to hit?

imweasel wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:
imweasel wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:17 pm

But I thought the 18cd style was mandatory?
If you go pure bow then you really don't want to stick around long enough to see any benefit from the level 39 attack speed debuff anyway. That being said the Devs nerfed Archery back to where it was prior to the buffs because they listened to the whiners whine about Rangers while Hib had all of the melee relics. So is pure Archery spec worth it? The players who are using that spec would be better qualified to answer that. If you go pure Archery though you still need to have that 18 CD side stun well practiced. I would even argue that a Shield would be handy when you're not trying to land the side style, and just trying to stay alive. Even if the target is stun immune you can still use hinder styles (rear in CD and side in Blades/Pierce). I would recommend going Pierce because you would have higher Weaponskill than in Blades and you would only be using styles for utility rather than damage. If you need to kite, then try to land the CD side stun immediately followed by the Blades (10) or Pierce (21) Hinder, which hopefully will get you enough distance to begin shooting again. Don't forget to switch back to a Shield to hopefully block any arrows or throwing knives meant to interrupt you before you try to shoot.
The Drunken Ranger!-keeping Devs honest since 2012
Also playing a dual-wielding Saracen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY42S ... 7koW7oFZug

The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewto ... =23&t=2902

imweasel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:41 am
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:20 am
imweasel wrote:

18+15 CD going to be high enough weapon spec to hit?
Like I say put it all in blades or pierce
If any extra points can dump in cd

But as the post above...they removed damage and high bow spec is not way to go
I’m shelving it until damage is revisited

I agree with both of you. I was desperately trying to find a viable spec other than the old cookie cutter spec of yore.

It's all back to square one and no need to spec bow over 35. It's just not worth the spec point investment to try a true bow spec.

I mean, for heavens sake, a scouts first spec line at 50 is to get 45 shield.

Shield.

Period.

Prior to a single change, it was 42 shield.

Everything else is superfluous for a scout at that point.

I know both of you tried to fight a good fight. Unfortunately your vision does not equal the cookie cutter class spec vision of the devs. I can say, imho, the only good things that make this server different/special is the qol things they brought and some of the tediousness that was removed.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. I now return you back to your regular programming...

imweasel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:30 am
I agree with both of you. I was desperately trying to find a viable spec other than the old cookie cutter spec of yore.

It's all back to square one and no need to spec bow over 35. It's just not worth the spec point investment to try a true bow spec.

I mean, for heavens sake, a scouts first spec line at 50 is to get 45 shield.

Shield.

Period.

Prior to a single change, it was 42 shield.

Everything else is superfluous for a scout at that point.

I know both of you tried to fight a good fight. Unfortunately your vision does not equal the cookie cutter class spec vision of the devs. I can say, imho, the only good things that make this server different/special is the qol things they brought and some of the tediousness that was removed.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. I now return you back to your regular programming...

Thanks man.

I've been fighting since beta to bring more variety to ALL specs and classes (particularly Archers), but based on the literal posts directly from the Devs themselves, they want people to play cookie-cutter specs.

Note: Watch for this or any of my posts to get deleted. Screenshot 'em while you've got 'em! ;)
The Drunken Ranger!-keeping Devs honest since 2012
Also playing a dual-wielding Saracen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY42S ... 7koW7oFZug

The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewto ... =23&t=2902

Well here are the bow specs IMHO.

Scout:
Maybe the only bow class to spec bow to 40. Of course only after you spec 45 into shield.

Everyone else is 35 bow.

Rangers need to spend spec points into melee and PF. You cannot run a viable ranger spec without spending almost the same amount in melee skills as you do in bow. Just decide 36 or 40 PF, 35 bow, rest in stealth and melee skills.

Hunters use bows more than melee? That's a rare odd duck

imweasel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Scout:
Maybe the only bow class to spec bow to 40. Of course only after you spec 45 into shield.

Everyone else is 35 bow.

Rangers need to spend spec points into melee and PF. You cannot run a viable ranger spec without spending almost the same amount in melee skills as you do in bow. Just decide 36 or 40 PF, 35 bow, rest in stealth and melee skills.

At least you had a choice before.... now it’s back to same
Scouts almost useless
Rangers skewed heavily to melee
Hunters actually have a breadth of choices, the pet allows bow use more than others...don’t listen to them crying pet is useless

imweasel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Scout:

Everyone else is 35 bow.

I dusted off my RR5L8 Hunter recently. For fun I tried to go from 35 bow to 50 bow. It is not really worth it. Cap damage on critshot went from 916 to 960 damage. However, the sacrifices in melee makes this a rather moot point.

For a RR5 scout, I'd certainly want 40 bow though.

I got a Ranger project in the making... Slow and steady.
However, that being said, my plan is to go sniper spec.
At RR3:
45 Bow, 40 PF, 37 Stealth, 25 Pierce for off evade 5sec stun & side slow & 18 CD for side stun and back snare

As previously mentioned, if you are sniper specced, you really dont want to melee with anything, BUT if it happens (and it will!) you have some escape tools that MIGHT save your behind :)
Klovn - Njord - 50 Skald - RR4LX
Thunderwonder - Njord - 50 Thane- RR5LX
Trussetyv - Njord - 50 Spiritmaster - RRFarmbot
Migselv - Stealth Legends - 50 Scout - RR3LX

Spejder - Rainbow - 24 Ranger