Hunter Charm

Started 27 May 2020
by daytonchambers
in Suggestions
Did a little bit of testing with the pet charms, and as it stands now there is zero reason to charm instead of using the instant-cast dog. Which is unfortunate, as it's the only class in Midgard with the ability.

After having located and tamed a few different level 41 mobs (the highest level we can charm and same level as instant pet) every mob I managed to charm did roughly HALF the amount of damage that the summoned pooch does. This was without buffs on either pet. The passive boosts to the dog are just to good to warrant using a charm for anything other than novelty.

A potential solution: Allow hunters to charm any blue con animal or insect, which would give the pet charm spells the ability to catch up to a level 44 pet and in doing so provide a reason to use the spells over the Avatar summon.

Thoughts?
Wed 27 May 2020 6:43 PM by joshisanonymous
I would honestly suggest any animal or insect up to level 50, just like the sorc charm but with fewer mob types as this seems to be the charm that it's modeled most closely on.

Since hunter is a stealth class at its base, most people would still stick to the insta dog, I think, but you might end up with a situation where hunters are at least marginally more valued in groups, sort of like how a minstrel can go either stealth group or visible group and be just as desirable in both cases.

Maybe the best way to balance it would be to make the level 35 charm identical to how it currently is but add charm spells >40 for higher level pets, so people could go high in BC to get an actually useful charm but they'd have to give up something else, maybe stealth, maybe melee or bow, but something.
Sun 31 May 2020 12:36 PM by Siouxsie
+1 on ANY Level 50 Insect or Animal up to level 50.
Sun 31 May 2020 4:34 PM by Spiegal
Yes that ability is useless, and it doesn't belong on that class to be honest. I don't know what mythic was thinking.
I wish they would move that and give to RM. The fact also that you can only charm low con mob vs other realm is the cherry on the top.
Sun 31 May 2020 4:43 PM by gotwqqd
Spiegal wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 4:34 PM
Yes that ability is useless, and it doesn't belong on that class to be honest. I don't know what mythic was thinking.
I wish they would move that and give to RM. The fact also that you can only charm low con mob vs other realm is the cherry on the top.

This

Just remove it so no one can complain about its shortcomings
Sun 31 May 2020 4:50 PM by daytonchambers
Spiegal wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 4:34 PM

As a big fan of the hunter I'm gonna disagree with you here. The pet charm was the original setup for the class, and the insta-cast avatar came at later patches. Other games, like WoW, have similar "roaming ranged rogue with a beast for a pet" classes like this.

I personally love the charm and use it a LOT, although it's mostly for pve content where I know of specific mobs that are accessible and usefull for farming or leveling. I simply wish that for RvR content that the dps was comparable to the Hunters Avatar when a mob that's the exact same level as the avatar is charmed. It's not, not by a longshot.

I'm not asking for an orange con minstrel-esque BS pet charm here. I simply want a reason to use that spell in NF, and not having to stop and uncover at a camp then dump my power bar attempting to charm 5+ times before I can get one that's the correct level. A level 44 charmed blue pet will likely still do less damage than the hunters avatar but at least it will be closer to the avatar in damage, and we can get some variety and not spend ages uncovered trying to charm only to have it fail over and over.
Sun 31 May 2020 4:51 PM by daytonchambers
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 4:43 PM
Just remove it so no one can complain about its shortcomings

Sun 31 May 2020 5:14 PM by Riac
shout out to ppl making non-issues into a priority.
as if they dont have enough things to work on, lets go ahead and worry about the hunter charm lol.
you already got a bow buff, sit down for a while.
Sun 31 May 2020 6:02 PM by daytonchambers
Riac wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 5:14 PM
shout out to ppl making non-issues into a priority.
as if they dont have enough things to work on, lets go ahead and worry about the hunter charm lol.
you already got a bow buff, sit down for a while.

At what point did I say to make this a priority?

I posted a suggestion. In the suggestion forum. That's it.

jesus christ man, stop hunting for conflict on the forum and take that salt to the frontier where it can do some good.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics