Best ranger spec

Started 30 May 2020
by sixgod6
in Hibernia
I am a fresh 50 never played a Ranger before so can someone give me some good advice on how to spec
Sat 30 May 2020 2:41 PM by imweasel
sixgod6 wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 2:18 PM
I am a fresh 50 never played a Ranger before so can someone give me some good advice on how to spec

Completely depends on how you want to play or your play style choice.

However, in general, I think the minimum bow spec (after archery changes) is 35. PF is 36. Stealth composite 50.

The decision is whether you are going to go heavy melee or all in on your bow. Without that info it's hard to get you a more definitive answer.

Heavy melee: Shar blade ranger would be 39 blades, 18+ CD, 35 bow 36PF and comp 50 stealth. As you gain RR you can respec stealth down and increase other paths.

Pure bow: luri all eggs in one basket would be 40+ bow, 48PF, 18CD and comp 50 stealth. As you gain RR you can respec stealth down and increase bow.

These are two specs in the extreme relative to each other. The pure bow will have better defense due to higher dex/qui, but ymmv...
Sat 30 May 2020 3:27 PM by daytonchambers
imweasel wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 2:41 PM
sixgod6 wrote:

However, in general, I think the minimum bow spec (after archery changes) is 35. PF is 36. Stealth composite 50.

The decision is whether you are going to go heavy melee or all in on your bow. Without that info it's hard to get you a more definitive answer.

Heavy melee: Shar blade ranger would be 39 blades, 18+ CD, 35 bow 36PF and comp 50 stealth. As you gain RR you can respec stealth down and increase other paths.

Pure bow: luri all eggs in one basket would be 40+ bow, 48PF, 18CD and comp 50 stealth. As you gain RR you can respec stealth down and increase bow.

These are two specs in the extreme relative to each other. The pure bow will have better defense due to higher dex/qui, but ymmv...

Evade is soft capped at 500 composite dex/qui and a 48PF keen goes WAY past that, the bonuses to defense are marginal at best. Plus....

With this build you have horriffic melee weaponskill which makes that slight boost to defense all but pointless. If you get caught in melee range with this build you WILL die.
Sat 30 May 2020 3:52 PM by sixgod6
Mainly bow

Luri

So 40 bow 48 path 18 cd and 50 stealth

Guessing no pierce ?
Sat 30 May 2020 4:29 PM by imweasel
daytonchambers wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 3:27 PM
imweasel wrote:
sixgod6 wrote:

Evade is soft capped at 500 composite dex/qui and a 48PF keen goes WAY past that, the bonuses to defense are marginal at best. Plus....

With this build you have horriffic melee weaponskill which makes that slight boost to defense all but pointless. If you get caught in melee range with this build you WILL die.

Lets face it, most of the time a luri ranger is going to die in a melee skirmish. I also was presenting two extreme specs given the little info that was given by the op...
Sat 30 May 2020 5:45 PM by Cadebrennus
You don't need 50 composite stealth unless you're going to open up on your enemy with a melee style like an Assassin. You have a ranged weapon, so keep that in mind. Your stealth spec does determine how often you will unstealth when drawing your bow, but this can be mitigated by being smart and using terrain/structures.

Stealth isn't the unbeatable pure invisibility like people like to think it is. I've found countless stealthers (Live and here) standing in the middle of roads, doorways, etc. It's incredible how badly most stealthers play. Basically, think more tactically than the other 99.999999% of Stealthers out there and you will get discovered far less than the other Stealthers regardless of your Stealth spec.
Sat 30 May 2020 6:37 PM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
sixgod6 wrote:

Pure bow defense won’t matter
If you are caught in melee range you are toast

40 pf is fine....maybe 45 for the last da....not with the points for 48 for only dex increase...go 50 bow

Also don’t attack a hunter if pure bow...the pet will tear you apart because damage is far too low to kill before it reaches you
Sat 30 May 2020 7:44 PM by imweasel
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 5:45 PM
You don't need 50 composite stealth unless you're going to open up on your enemy with a melee style like an Assassin. You have a ranged weapon, so keep that in mind. Your stealth spec does determine how often you will unstealth when drawing your bow, but this can be mitigated by being smart and using terrain/structures.

Stealth isn't the unbeatable pure invisibility like people like to think it is. I've found countless stealthers (Live and here) standing in the middle of roads, doorways, etc. It's incredible how badly most stealthers play. Basically, think more tactically than the other 99.999999% of Stealthers out there and you will get discovered far less than the other Stealthers regardless of your Stealth spec.

I like comp 50 stealth just due to the fact I can walk just that much faster while stealthed. Is it necessary? No. Is it something to consider. Yes.
Sat 30 May 2020 8:00 PM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 7:44 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 5:45 PM

I like comp 50 stealth just due to the fact I can walk just that much faster while stealthed. Is it necessary? No. Is it something to consider. Yes.
I’m actually 40 spec 55 composite
As melee is useless I like thee walk speed
Sat 30 May 2020 11:21 PM by gotwqqd
sixgod6 wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 3:52 PM
Mainly bow

Luri

So 40 bow 48 path 18 cd and 50 stealth

Guessing no pierce ?

I just did a test
40 vs 48 pf
As your sniper 46 is pointless. And 42 for armor may be an option if you have the points

Across all equal bow specs the difference is 6-8 points of damage. Not worth the huge cost for 48pf
Sun 31 May 2020 5:34 PM by imweasel
So for a bow ranger the best spec is 40 bow 40 PF for the best 'utility'?

Comp 50 stealth and CD the rest?
Sun 31 May 2020 5:49 PM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 5:34 PM

I’d say sort of yes
Put what you feel you want in stealth DW and mainland and see if you can bump bow if any points left

Regular shot is about 37 less @40 vs 50
Sun 31 May 2020 10:41 PM by Cadebrennus
If nothing else then a minimum of 18 CD for the side stun and rear snare.
Mon 1 Jun 2020 12:40 AM by imweasel
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020 5:49 PM
imweasel wrote:

I’d say sort of yes
Put what you feel you want in stealth DW and mainland and see if you can bump bow if any points left

Well 40 bow, 35+ stealth and 40 PF isn't going to leave much room for mainhand and CD. So either give up CD and spec mainhand or except huge damage variance and spec little base line weapon and spec CD for the styles and weapon skill. This is under the assumption you are doing a luri ranger. Shar melee ranger is another topic.
Mon 1 Jun 2020 6:35 AM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 12:40 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
imweasel wrote:

I’d say sort of yes

Well 40 bow, 35+ stealth and 40 PF isn't going to leave much room for mainhand and CD. So either give up CD and spec mainhand or except huge damage variance and spec little base line weapon and spec CD for the styles and weapon skill. This is under the assumption you are doing a luri ranger. Shar melee ranger is another topic.
It leaves 39 for mainland only thing that is inadequate is cd
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:59 AM by imweasel
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 6:35 AM
imweasel wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:
I’d say sort of yes

Wouldn't you be better off spec'ing 39cd and using CD styles over a baseline weapon spec?
Mon 1 Jun 2020 12:19 PM by Cadebrennus
imweasel wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:59 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
imweasel wrote:
Wouldn't you be better off spec'ing 39cd and using CD styles over a baseline weapon spec?

You get more damage over time, sure, but you lose out on not getting one of the game's best anytime chains.
Mon 1 Jun 2020 6:17 PM by imweasel
Cadebrennus wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 12:19 PM
imweasel wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

You get more damage over time, sure, but you lose out on not getting one of the game's best anytime chains.

But I thought the 18cd style was mandatory?
Mon 1 Jun 2020 8:25 PM by Cadebrennus
imweasel wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 6:17 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
imweasel wrote:

18 CD mandatory yes, and 39 Blades is also a must have for any melee at all. But your damage over time suffers with such a low CD spec.
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:48 PM by imweasel
Cadebrennus wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 8:25 PM
imweasel wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:

18 CD mandatory yes, and 39 Blades is also a must have for any melee at all. But your damage over time suffers with such a low CD spec.

So you're saying that pure bow spec ranger just won't work as well and is situational.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 12:20 AM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Mon 1 Jun 2020 11:48 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
imweasel wrote:

So you're saying that pure bow spec ranger just won't work as well and is situational.

If sniper spec don’t bother with cd @18
You ain’t gonna get it off
Nor want to start a fight. With it
Tue 2 Jun 2020 2:41 AM by imweasel
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 12:20 AM
imweasel wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:

18+15 CD going to be high enough weapon spec to hit?
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:08 AM by Cadebrennus
imweasel wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:
imweasel wrote:

If you go pure bow then you really don't want to stick around long enough to see any benefit from the level 39 attack speed debuff anyway. That being said the Devs nerfed Archery back to where it was prior to the buffs because they listened to the whiners whine about Rangers while Hib had all of the melee relics. So is pure Archery spec worth it? The players who are using that spec would be better qualified to answer that. If you go pure Archery though you still need to have that 18 CD side stun well practiced. I would even argue that a Shield would be handy when you're not trying to land the side style, and just trying to stay alive. Even if the target is stun immune you can still use hinder styles (rear in CD and side in Blades/Pierce). I would recommend going Pierce because you would have higher Weaponskill than in Blades and you would only be using styles for utility rather than damage. If you need to kite, then try to land the CD side stun immediately followed by the Blades (10) or Pierce (21) Hinder, which hopefully will get you enough distance to begin shooting again. Don't forget to switch back to a Shield to hopefully block any arrows or throwing knives meant to interrupt you before you try to shoot.
Tue 2 Jun 2020 4:06 AM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 2:41 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 12:20 AM
imweasel wrote:

18+15 CD going to be high enough weapon spec to hit?

Like I say put it all in blades or pierce
If any extra points can dump in cd

But as the post above...they removed damage and high bow spec is not way to go
I’m shelving it until damage is revisited
Tue 2 Jun 2020 6:30 AM by imweasel
I agree with both of you. I was desperately trying to find a viable spec other than the old cookie cutter spec of yore.

It's all back to square one and no need to spec bow over 35. It's just not worth the spec point investment to try a true bow spec.

I mean, for heavens sake, a scouts first spec line at 50 is to get 45 shield.

Shield.

Period.

Prior to a single change, it was 42 shield.

Everything else is superfluous for a scout at that point.

I know both of you tried to fight a good fight. Unfortunately your vision does not equal the cookie cutter class spec vision of the devs. I can say, imho, the only good things that make this server different/special is the qol things they brought and some of the tediousness that was removed.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. I now return you back to your regular programming...
Tue 2 Jun 2020 1:21 PM by Cadebrennus
imweasel wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 6:30 AM
I agree with both of you. I was desperately trying to find a viable spec other than the old cookie cutter spec of yore.

It's all back to square one and no need to spec bow over 35. It's just not worth the spec point investment to try a true bow spec.

I mean, for heavens sake, a scouts first spec line at 50 is to get 45 shield.

Shield.

Period.

Prior to a single change, it was 42 shield.

Everything else is superfluous for a scout at that point.

I know both of you tried to fight a good fight. Unfortunately your vision does not equal the cookie cutter class spec vision of the devs. I can say, imho, the only good things that make this server different/special is the qol things they brought and some of the tediousness that was removed.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. I now return you back to your regular programming...

Thanks man.

I've been fighting since beta to bring more variety to ALL specs and classes (particularly Archers), but based on the literal posts directly from the Devs themselves, they want people to play cookie-cutter specs.

Note: Watch for this or any of my posts to get deleted. Screenshot 'em while you've got 'em!
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:11 PM by imweasel
Well here are the bow specs IMHO.

Scout:
Maybe the only bow class to spec bow to 40. Of course only after you spec 45 into shield.

Everyone else is 35 bow.

Rangers need to spend spec points into melee and PF. You cannot run a viable ranger spec without spending almost the same amount in melee skills as you do in bow. Just decide 36 or 40 PF, 35 bow, rest in stealth and melee skills.

Hunters use bows more than melee? That's a rare odd duck
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:59 PM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:11 PM

Scout:
Maybe the only bow class to spec bow to 40. Of course only after you spec 45 into shield.

Everyone else is 35 bow.

Rangers need to spend spec points into melee and PF. You cannot run a viable ranger spec without spending almost the same amount in melee skills as you do in bow. Just decide 36 or 40 PF, 35 bow, rest in stealth and melee skills.

At least you had a choice before.... now it’s back to same
Scouts almost useless
Rangers skewed heavily to melee
Hunters actually have a breadth of choices, the pet allows bow use more than others...don’t listen to them crying pet is useless
Tue 2 Jun 2020 4:47 PM by borodino1812
imweasel wrote:
Tue 2 Jun 2020 3:11 PM

Scout:

Everyone else is 35 bow.

I dusted off my RR5L8 Hunter recently. For fun I tried to go from 35 bow to 50 bow. It is not really worth it. Cap damage on critshot went from 916 to 960 damage. However, the sacrifices in melee makes this a rather moot point.

For a RR5 scout, I'd certainly want 40 bow though.
Thu 4 Jun 2020 8:44 AM by MigSelv
I got a Ranger project in the making... Slow and steady.
However, that being said, my plan is to go sniper spec.
At RR3:
45 Bow, 40 PF, 37 Stealth, 25 Pierce for off evade 5sec stun & side slow & 18 CD for side stun and back snare

As previously mentioned, if you are sniper specced, you really dont want to melee with anything, BUT if it happens (and it will!) you have some escape tools that MIGHT save your behind
Thu 4 Jun 2020 3:06 PM by inoeth
MigSelv wrote:
Thu 4 Jun 2020 8:44 AM
At RR3:
45 Bow, 40 PF, 37 Stealth, 25 Pierce for off evade 5sec stun & side slow & 18 CD for side stun and back snare

As previously mentioned, if you are sniper specced, you really dont want to melee with anything, BUT if it happens (and it will!) you have some escape tools that MIGHT save your behind

stuns get purged 99% if you get into melee (and you will) you are dead^^
Thu 4 Jun 2020 5:55 PM by gotwqqd
MigSelv wrote:
Thu 4 Jun 2020 8:44 AM
At RR3:

You want to stay alive... push bow up 48-50
And stealth to 40
Then dump rest in a weapon
The evade ain’t gonna save you
Wed 23 Sep 2020 7:40 PM by Atum
so what's the cookie cutter spec?^^ if we go our mandatory melee skills as in 39 blades and 18 cd, then

1) 35 bow | 33 stealth | 40 pf or
2) 35 bow | 35 stealth | 36 pf | remaining points in cd -> 23 cd

but i guess 35 stealth is also "mandatory" for MoS right?

so the remaining spec would be

35 bow 35 stealth 36 pf 39 blades 23 cd right?

ranger through event, so i guess starting RR will be 4L0 - 5L5 after thaht
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics