Stealthers Behind Home Area Gates

Started 28 May 2020
by Delegator
in Ask the Team
Last night I was behind the Mid gates with my ranger, having a time killing Mids. Riled them up right proper to the point where several were hunting me. Then, apparently somebody appealed saying that I had cheated to get behind the gates (I had not -- the gate was open for like 2 hours, and I managed to sneak through when the mid zerg streamed out to go after the albs, and the siege temporarily stopped).

In discussions with a GM I explained what happened, and was told nicely that despite there being no exploit, "when the gates are closed then no enemy should be back there." I was further told that, if I see this happening in my realm (as it did on Hib just 2 days earlier) that I should contact a GM and they would move that person out.

This was all quite a surprise to me, because literally EVERY time a realm's gates are open, you will see stealthers get in and use the opportunity to kill unsuspecting people inside. So, this isn't a partisan issue -- I've hunted Hunters and Infs inside the Hib gates, and as a NS I have run into SBs inside the Alb gates in the past. My sense is that nobody thought this was against the rules. It's much more akin to being in DF when another realm owns it.

Anyway, I think this is deserving of discussion. Or at least of an official statement as to whether being behind the enemy's gates (to emphasize -- without exploiting or cheating) is allowed. Because, unlike the realm lock timer or the inability to pick up a relic while the gates are closed, there is no mechanism enforcing this. And I have never before seen a statement that you need to leave the enemy home area when the gates close.

Personally, I would prefer that this be allowed. But second best is for the policy to be explicitly stated, broadly known and consistently enforced.
Thu 28 May 2020 5:27 PM by daoklover
Delirium if this is against the rules. Sounds like a GM on a power trip. Proper protocol would be GM ignore the appeal or make a discussion with Phoenix team to make a decision then let the population know. Better yet; if they don't want this, then implement something that kicks enemies out when the gate closes.
Thu 28 May 2020 5:38 PM by Astaa
There are always stealthers behind the relic gates after a relic raid. Surprising that GMs consider it against the rules.
Thu 28 May 2020 6:12 PM by Delegator
daoklover wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020 5:27 PM
Delirium if this is against the rules. Sounds like a GM on a power trip. Proper protocol would be GM ignore the appeal or make a discussion with Phoenix team to make a decision then let the population know. Better yet; if they don't want this, then implement something that kicks enemies out when the gate closes.

Just to be clear, the GM was very civil to me and we discussed it. He said that he would ask the team about it, and this morning when we followed up, he said that the team had confirmed that it was not allowed.

I tend to agree with the other comment that this is delirium and I was flabbergasted to be told that it was against the rules. And I also advocated for a mechanism to enforce it if that is what the rules are. But that's why I started this thread, to see what others thought and whether the team would like to weigh in.
Thu 28 May 2020 6:29 PM by shintacki
Really dumb rule. If the gates open, it’s open. Anyone that gets through should be allowed through. Why is this any different than when people camp DF when their realm doesn’t have it?
Thu 28 May 2020 6:49 PM by joshisanonymous
shintacki wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020 6:29 PM
Really dumb rule. If the gates open, it’s open. Anyone that gets through should be allowed through. Why is this any different than when people camp DF when their realm doesn’t have it?

I agree. Seems very much like DF changing hands. Annoying, but not impossible to deal with using just regular gameplay.
Thu 28 May 2020 9:15 PM by dbeattie71
I thought it was awesome.
Thu 28 May 2020 11:01 PM by borodino1812
Maybe we could get an official response on this. I am sure most active players want to follow the rules, and some clarification would be welcome.
Fri 29 May 2020 3:59 AM by thirian24
Its not a bug, its not bug abuse, its nothing of the sort.

If they dont want me back there, then they better port me out.

Either way, its bullshit to say you cant be back there after the gates are closed.

What are they gonna do, put in a hall monitor for when the gates are closed to check to see if people are there?

Cmon people, FFS.
Fri 29 May 2020 5:49 AM by gotwqqd
So
When the gates are closed, is it not allowed that someone send a pet through to attack an enemy?
Fri 29 May 2020 6:16 AM by MigSelv
Yesterday, me and two IRL friends were running small scale in Pennine (Thane, Skald, BD). Being chased by a fg albs we ran to the maze and i pressed on Nuala Ruins to get away from them.
I (Grp leader) was portet to Nuala, HOWEVER my two friends were portet behind the Mt. Collory gates, while the gates were closed. They did say it in region and proceeded to jump over the gates, because.... well, common sense says that this is a bug.

I am guessing that it is against the rules, because the GM team might not be able to see who came through the gate while open, and who was portet or any other kind f bug.
Fri 29 May 2020 5:13 PM by joshisanonymous
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 29 May 2020 5:49 AM
So
When the gates are closed, is it not allowed that someone send a pet through to attack an enemy?

I've definitely done this when an enemy is trying to run away.
Fri 29 May 2020 7:47 PM by daoklover
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 29 May 2020 5:49 AM
So

Careful, your pet might get banned DAoG 4 lyfe #AmIRight?
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics