Make mount speed 138%

Started 24 May 2020
by joshisanonymous
in Suggestions
And hastener speed for that matter.

I had (and still have) my reservations about mounts in RvR. So far, as a solo player, the advantages are that mounts make it easier for me to clear out XP spots when the action is slow elsewhere and make it more practical to stick around solo zones and partake in task zones that aren't in my realm. There are downsides to mounts, too: you're more visible and casting literally any spell (like caster self buffs) resets the 1 min timer.

However, these are either minor drawbacks (more visible) or likely bugs that will be fixed (self buff timer reset). Starting from the principle that caster speed classes should have some sort of clear advantage to non-speed classes, and also the principle that mounts are supposed to be purely about convenience, I suggest that mounts in RvR move at blue caster speed, meaning 138%. Sure, hastener at 150% is still slower than red caster speed at 153%, but that 3% is almost meaningless. Those with speed and those who group with those who have speed should have some kind of advantage, and having your speed kick in faster when kiting is a very minor advantage.

Historically, speed has also been useful for choosing your fights and getting the jump on enemies, two advantages that don't really exist with hasteners at 150% let alone mounts at 150%. Making both of these 138% would still make them convenient, still make it more practical to hang around solo zones, partake in tasks zones without accessible hasteners, and travel to out of the way areas, but speed classes would not have the value of their speed diminished.

This is exactly what has been done for buffs on this server, so it seems appropriate for speed, too. Everyone is probably in agreement that blue buff pots were much needed but that full red buff pots would render buff classes and classes with spec self buffs a bit meaningless. This is exactly how we should look at speed: blue speed adds some (arguably) much needed convenience but red speed would make speed classes' speed valueless.

Tl;dr Hastener and mount speed should be blue 138% for the same reasons that we only have blue buff pots.
Sun 24 May 2020 5:01 PM by Quik
I could get behind this idea.
Sun 24 May 2020 6:07 PM by Ruggz
Just no.

Hastener speed is perfect.. having it so u cant do anything else than run or mount is actuallty really nice.. stealthers cant stealth into mount w/o waiting 1 min.. i hope this stuff doesnt get changed. I really like the drawbacks from not being able to buff or basically do anything but run
Sun 24 May 2020 7:06 PM by joshisanonymous
Ruggz wrote:
Sun 24 May 2020 6:07 PM
Just no.

Hastener speed is perfect.. having it so u cant do anything else than run or mount is actuallty really nice.. stealthers cant stealth into mount w/o waiting 1 min.. i hope this stuff doesnt get changed. I really like the drawbacks from not being able to buff or basically do anything but run

But what I'm suggesting would not change the things you're mentioning at all.
Sun 24 May 2020 9:27 PM by gotwqqd
Agree...IF they keep horses(I hope not) the speed should be reduced to below hastener....but hastener is fine where it is
Mon 25 May 2020 5:45 PM by leb
a big no, stop thinking , play the game or leave it
Tue 26 May 2020 4:33 PM by tyrantanic
Mobility helps spread action a bit from my experience(s). I would take your idea and turn it on its head slightly. Increase caster speed by 20% so it's noticeably faster than hastener speed but still remains slower than song speed.

- Hastener / Mount: 150%
- Caster: 174%
- Song: 204%
Wed 27 May 2020 6:34 PM by joshisanonymous
tyrantanic wrote:
Tue 26 May 2020 4:33 PM
Mobility helps spread action a bit from my experience(s). I would take your idea and turn it on its head slightly. Increase caster speed by 20% so it's noticeably faster than hastener speed but still remains slower than song speed.

- Hastener / Mount: 150%
- Caster: 174%
- Song: 204%

I would be just fine with this, too, honestly. I would just like classes with caster speed to maintain some value in having that caster speed, just like buffing classes weren't rendered valueless by buff pots. If that means increasing caster speed instead of decreasing hastener speed, that accomplishes the same goal. I do personally feel that higher speed doesn't move people away from typical choke points but instead makes it more likely that you'll get run over by others after you engage in a fight with someone, in which case slowing hastener might be preferable, but I would be very happy with going your way, as well.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics