Second Server - Classic Pace

Started 26 May 2020
by Socra
in Suggestions
Dear all,

I'm amongst those players that liked the hardcoreness of DAoC in the early 2000's with a super slow pace, no currency but seals and gold, etc. At present we already have an excellently handled server that content most players with tons of QoL and super fast xp. Players enjoy easily-accessible SC(s) and focus on PvP shortly after creating a toon. Old folks (a great % of us here) are thankful for that as it is for the least practical and time-saving.

I don't think I've seen the proposition yet, at least not in recent threads, so here is my suggestion :

There's another community of players, arguably much smaller, who wouldn't mind an old-time like server with basically no xp multiplier, no bonus, no new currency, no advantageous randomly generated items, etc. That next-door community (must have heard of it) typically is interested in that setup (just pointing out there is a demand, numbers aside).

Would it be conceivable to have a separate server in a classic setup (Classic + SI) with just a few QoLs (tp, horses, etc.) and nothing else (no follow-up adjustments apart from track issues obviously). Perhaps that could be the answer too for people divided on the OF/NF topic. Also stating I dare to ask because I'm fond of the dev team here doing amazing work, for 1 server currently why not 2!

What do you say? (arguments for and against it) I'm naively asking in that I have no clue what the cost / efforts of such task require so please elaborate as much as you can.

Thanks in advance
Tue 26 May 2020 2:57 PM by Quik
Uthgard.
Tue 26 May 2020 3:02 PM by Sepplord
main problem i see is that it would (probably) either mean that the second server is not maintained/community-engaged or that the workload for staff basically doubles, because they are now developing two different servers for two different communities.
You say, no further changes, as if tht solves the problem, but it doesn't as there will still be people asking for this and that and how to make the perfect server even more perfecter (yes, that's intentional).

Look at the feedback they are getting for their experiments with the solo-zone. The Zone is completely unused, and people are more upset than before. I really don't see your idea going a different way. Especially considering there is already something very similar to what you say, yet THAT is apparently not enough and you want something different.
But does that "intrested player" next to you completely agree with you or does their idea divert 1% from your vision?

I am also not aware how servercosts scale with userbase, but i am quite sure that there is a minimum "load" and ressource-required setup for an additional server (even if it could run on the same machine)

Serious question though, why is that next-door community you hint at not using the current available option that has the features you mention? Or are they still doing that? Would ALL move? Why would anyone of them want to move in the frist place? etc...
Tue 26 May 2020 3:13 PM by Socra
Ty Sepplord for the answer - my view is that games and/or server concepts are like fashion, they change and ternish over time. As you mention, whatever is being proposed is always challenged by players for improvements and/or different mechanics, true that for all games (good or poor rating).

I'd say you may see in my proposition an attempt to provide a new momentum to a old game with a different value. Just wondering openly with you all how flawed or accurate that value proposition is.

Thanks
Tue 26 May 2020 3:19 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Servers are not cheap to purchase and maintain.

Are you going to pay for this special ruleset that will probably have a population of sub-100 plays at peak times?
Tue 26 May 2020 4:11 PM by borodino1812
I think at this moment in time, the Daoc community is simply not big enough to warrant another server. Uthgard has some of the features you ask for, but not SI, and there is not much development going on there.

Live is the complete opposite of what you want.

Phoenix probably have enough with the current project, and to juggle another ruleset/server seem nightmarish for a volunteer based group. I'd be surprised if a second server was something they would consider.
Tue 26 May 2020 6:21 PM by Socra
I could not agree more Borodino.

Perhaps a better way to look at this suggestion is to decompose it in two reflections :

1/ New server - would that even be a question?
2/ If it were, then what would it be? Obviously you know my answer but perhaps there is an unexpeted demand for hardcore toa or something else - this can be another debate.

I would be keen to know what's staff view on question 1 - also what it would take (maybe there's server bandwith unused at the moment that could be leveraged)

Thanks
Tue 26 May 2020 6:46 PM by necrolove1
Uthgard servers are still up
Tue 26 May 2020 7:24 PM by Socra
Necro, you're off topic as this is not the suggestion I'm posing here - plus I'd rather aggregate offers.

Thanks for participating anyway - any thought on this is welcomed.
Tue 26 May 2020 7:32 PM by Quik
Not meant to be rude in any way, but just start your own if you want something specific that Pheonix isn't offering.

I would really rather not have them hosting 2 servers and splitting the staff up.

Focus on Pheonix and anyone that wants another more classic setting can always start their own server with anything they want.
Tue 26 May 2020 7:45 PM by Socra
No offense taken I have literally no skill for that but if I would I could not think of a better staff than Phoenix's.

So far not much traction on this suggestion so I guess that's already a good indication of my idea's worth! Still I'd be interested in reading an educated answer on this from staff (cost, vision, pros & cons with their knowledge from a tech standpoint) - I'm sure a second server must have crossed their minds at some point.

Many thanks
Thu 28 May 2020 1:54 AM by Neso
Socra wrote:
Tue 26 May 2020 7:45 PM
I'd be interested in reading an educated answer on this from staff (cost, vision, pros & cons with their knowledge from a tech standpoint) - I'm sure a second server must have crossed their minds at some point.

Message one on Discord. Report back with the answer decomposed in two reflections.
Thu 28 May 2020 6:15 AM by Vkejai
Just curious but when you mean hardcore like slower xp etc , are you referring to more of a PvE bias server ?
Thu 28 May 2020 9:01 AM by Socra
@Vkejai partially though that's not the end of it - slower progression (PvE & PvP) as it is 'my view' that it reinforces RPG social aspects.
@Neso, I'll try the Discord approach

In the meantime if any of you has new arguments for or against please share with us!
Thanks
Thu 28 May 2020 10:43 AM by Socra
Did have an open discussion and without surprise the answer to 1/ is ' 100% no' for : cost, population, workload. I thought there may have been an upside to this suggestion but clearly not enough to overcome the downsides of it obviously.

Perhaps a discussion to have again in the future! In the meantime, I wish all to enjoy the game.

Thanks,
Socra
Thu 28 May 2020 12:56 PM by leb
uthgard have SI now and xp items
Thu 28 May 2020 1:33 PM by borodino1812
Socra wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020 10:43 AM
Did have an open discussion and without surprise the answer to 1/ is ' 100% no' for : cost, population, workload. I thought there may have been an upside to this suggestion but clearly not enough to overcome the downsides of it obviously.

Perhaps a discussion to have again in the future! In the meantime, I wish all to enjoy the game.

Thanks,
Socra

I think it is probably a big enough challenge to run Phoenix. Kudos to you for conducting this thread in a polite and thoughtful manner. I could see Uthgard perhaps being more attractive now, however I doubt they will attract a big enough crowd to make the server attractive enough for most people.

Sadly, we are simply not enough people who still play this game.

I wish Uthgard well though. I enjoyed Uthgard 1.0, but the progression in 2.0 was simply too slow for me. When you have limited time to play due to real life commitments, you need a more casual-friendly setup. Phoenix has that.
Thu 28 May 2020 2:38 PM by Socra
@Ieb if that ever came to be true I would still prefer an aggregation of offers, that is, one hub for all players. Perhaps as in a collab type of thing? ;-) Again, let's leave it at it for now and let us all enjoy what's at hands!

Best,
Socra
Sun 31 May 2020 4:19 AM by Vkejai
I do like the idea .
Wed 3 Jun 2020 4:08 PM by Hector
I don't think we need another server, but I do think its problematic that so many people are rank 10+. The end game has been reached and these players are just dominating not b/c of skill but because of realm rank. Would like to see some seasonal form of a reset of rank
Wed 3 Jun 2020 4:19 PM by Forlornhope
leb wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020 12:56 PM
uthgard have SI now and xp items

Good luck getting enough players to be able to run a galla/tg/sidi raid lol
Thu 4 Jun 2020 7:15 AM by Sepplord
Hector wrote:
Wed 3 Jun 2020 4:08 PM
I don't think we need another server, but I do think its problematic that so many people are rank 10+. The end game has been reached and these players are just dominating not b/c of skill but because of realm rank. Would like to see some seasonal form of a reset of rank

I rather fight RR10/11 with RR8/9 than fight RR6/7 with RR2/3 which is what happens for low-playtime players and seasonal resets. Unless you put an artificial and low hardcap on RP/week the gap between the "no-lifers" and "casuals" will always be deciding many fights. But don't get me wrong, even as a more "casual" player i believe that is a horrible idea
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics