[Q2 2020] Events and Event Schedule

Started 27 Mar 2020
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
This change is part of a series of changes: https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=99782

Starting in April, the second weekend of each month will have an event. In addition to that, every 14 days the arena will be opened. With the arena becoming a more regular occurrence, there will be some changes in terms of tracking wins and having those wins in the relevant brackets show up on the herald.

New / untested events may or may not happen in addition to the one event each month and will, depending on feedback, be added to the event rotation.
Fri 27 Mar 2020 2:10 PM by jwalker
Would love to have 1 BG Weekend per month. I personally really enjoyed the Molvik event. Alternatively maybe we can have a BG open once /U goes below 400 pop?
Fri 27 Mar 2020 2:15 PM by shintacki
how long will the arena be open for each time? Will it last the weekend like the previous events?
Fri 27 Mar 2020 2:39 PM by Uthred
It will be open for about 24h or something like that. We are not sure about the exact length yet. Every PT (EU, NA, Asia) should have the possibility to join at least once when the Arena is open.
Fri 27 Mar 2020 2:47 PM by Azuell
What group size(s) does the arena allow? Or will it change each time it opens?
Fri 27 Mar 2020 3:05 PM by Uthred
The Arena will offer 3 different groupsizes. 1vs1, 8vs8 and a third one, probably 5vs5. All kills will be tracked and displayed in something like a leaderboard on the Herald. It will be PvP (yes, with active realm timer), so you will be able to build groups with members of different realms.
Safe Zone is in Stygia Haven. You (or your group) will get ported to a random location, where you will find an enemy of the same groupsize like yours. After fighting, both will be ported back to the safe zone automatically. There will be no roaming, no adding, just one fight and then back to the safe zone. After that some time the next fight will start and so.
We are planing on resetting the leaderboard every 3 months or so. We already had the Arena active during the Beta and after Launch, check this thread for some basic FAQs ---> https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2201
Fri 27 Mar 2020 4:55 PM by Azuell
Uthred wrote:
Fri 27 Mar 2020 3:05 PM
The Arena will offer 3 different groupsizes. 1vs1, 8vs8 and a third one, probably 5vs5. All kills will be tracked and displayed in something like a leaderboard on the Herald. It will be PvP (yes, with active realm timer), so you will be able to build groups with members of different realms.
Safe Zone is in Stygia Haven. You (or your group) will get ported to a random location, where you will find an enemy of the same groupsize like yours. After fighting, both will be ported back to the safe zone automatically. There will be no roaming, no adding, just one fight and then back to the safe zone. After that some time the next fight will start and so.
We are planing on resetting the leaderboard every 3 months or so. We already had the Arena active during the Beta and after Launch, check this thread for some basic FAQs ---> https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2201

Thanks for the info. Obviously 1v1 and 8v8 are staples but it would be nice if the 5v5 could be rotated with a 3v3 every other time or 1 out of every 4. I don't know if this is feasible and will understand if you don't but just something to consider.
Fri 27 Mar 2020 5:09 PM by Centenario
I thought 2x Feather or 2x Exp are also events, would they happen only on the second week of each month? Or they are something else?

In my opinion, there has to be a counter-balance to RvR events, some people want to do only PvE content.
I haven't been able to find a group for the custom dungeons (DS and that other one).
Should be:
1st week = exp bonus
2nd week = event (both PvP and PvE) = arena, instance
3rd week = feather bonus
Last weekend of the month = custom event/testing
Fri 27 Mar 2020 7:31 PM by Uthred
In general you have to separate between events and the Arena. 2 times feathers is just a bonus, but not an event.

The schedule would look like this:

1st week of a month: an event
2nd week of a month: the Arena will be open for a day
3rd week of a month: an event
4th week of a month: the Arena will be open for a day
and so on.

As tried to explained above, the Arena is something like a seasonal league, where each season has its own leaderboard, which will be resetted at the end of a season.

Events are mostly the whole weekend and could be like the pvp event we had last weekend or like the molvik event or like the kissed by fire event. We havent finally decided yet, but we will try to rotate the different events. After a rvr/pvp event the next event would be a pve event. In addition we will also put in some new events and an event schedule which will allow you to see which event will happen at which weekend.
Fri 27 Mar 2020 8:14 PM by _Dax_
Oh, plz give me PvP 3vs3 green glade one more time baby! By far the best event so far!
Fri 27 Mar 2020 10:58 PM by gotwqqd
So we are just going to ruin the intended game every weekend?
Sat 28 Mar 2020 9:50 AM by Centenario
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 27 Mar 2020 10:58 PM
So we are just going to ruin the intended game every weekend?

Fair point, event don't have to be stuck to weekends, some people just RvR during weekends, so they don't want to be forced to go to some kind of custom thingy.
Sat 28 Mar 2020 10:39 AM by Uthred
My bad, i mixed something up there. Schedule will look like this:

1st week of a month: the Arena will be open for a day
2nd week of a month: an event
3rd week of a month: the Arena will be open for a day
4th week of a month: nothing
and so on.

So you will have one event per month and two times the Arena roughly.
Sat 28 Mar 2020 3:25 PM by joshisanonymous
I have concerns about what the arena events will mean for actual RvR, too. It makes sense for them to be on weekends since they're special events, but that's also some non-arena players' regular RvR time, so these events could potentially hurt the game for those players. However, I also wonder how many arena players will be normal RvR players anyway once the event is a repeated thing. Right now, it seems that even hardcore zergers are up for the arena game, which if it stayed that way, would seriously interrupt the regular RvR game every other weekend, but if it was a repeated event, it might only be the people who obsess over adds in their XvX fights (whatever the number may be), who are often not really part of the regular RvR game anyway, even if they're in the frontiers. (Honestly, don't know why these players don't just play one of those weird all-arena style custom servers anyway, but that's a different topic.)
Sat 28 Mar 2020 4:20 PM by Isavyr
Would it be possible to do a 6v6 event in the normal frontier? No BG, just normal frontiers? I really enjoyed the 6v6 event and would like to see how it plays out in the actual frontier with keeps, towers, etc.
Sat 28 Mar 2020 5:21 PM by Iuppiter
I'd ask you to reconsider the PvP aspect of the arena and leave it as per-realm teams (or at least have realm based some weeks and PvP others). The game was not balanced around a PvP ruleset. Additionally it might encourage smallman groups to also form in the frontiers once people see how fun it can be without extra adds.

I also like the group cap of 6 in frontiers idea, especially in the low pop times.
Sat 28 Mar 2020 7:53 PM by Caemma
joshisanonymous wrote:
Sat 28 Mar 2020 3:25 PM
I have concerns about what the arena events will mean for actual RvR, too. It makes sense for them to be on weekends since they're special events, but that's also some non-arena players' regular RvR time, so these events could potentially hurt the game for those players. However, I also wonder how many arena players will be normal RvR players anyway once the event is a repeated thing. Right now, it seems that even hardcore zergers are up for the arena game, which if it stayed that way, would seriously interrupt the regular RvR game every other weekend, but if it was a repeated event, it might only be the people who obsess over adds in their XvX fights (whatever the number may be), who are often not really part of the regular RvR game anyway, even if they're in the frontiers. (Honestly, don't know why these players don't just play one of those weird all-arena style custom servers anyway, but that's a different topic.)
I don't understand your "concerns" on the long term, I mean if someone enjoy more the (as you called) "actual RvR", he/she will keep sticking to it on the long run.
Yet, not everyone wants to zerg and not everyone wants to do fair fights.. the coin has always 2 faces - so which one are we going to cover?

Anyway, I wouldn't really care about this topic considering it will be just 60 minutes per 2 weeks LOL!
(To be honest it's even way too small the amount of time to play it if you want to build a proper season/chart about it..)

Just keep playing what you enjoy the most.
Sun 29 Mar 2020 8:40 AM by Cadebrennus
If players really wanted an arena we would just play WoW.
Sun 29 Mar 2020 9:05 AM by Killaloth
Great news. You can reach rr10+ in a few months by zerging, soloing, taking keeps or 8vs8.

Events allow people to test how good they are with their rr10+ toon in a more competitive environment.

And everyone is free to choose where to play. Also, there is less risk of being rolled by "competitive groups" in frontiers for more casual players.

I only see a win-win here, /clap
Sun 29 Mar 2020 3:55 PM by Dragonn
Can I suggest a 2v2 option ?
Thu 2 Apr 2020 10:16 AM by DarkDavion
I think the arena event isn't the best idea bcs:

this will affect RvR

the higher RR10+ will just reckt all the others

lot of ppl will respec for just being a beast 1v1 2v2 3v3 or other weird groups

In my opinion will be much better if u leave the solo zone and small man zones as they are now with the addition of:

1) a short term (every 30 min or BTW a time u consider fine) rvr task that you can only complete in the solo/small manzone if you win a fairfight

2) prevent those who have won the fairfight task from teleporting back to the solo zone until the next task starts, this for prevent stronger ppl just farm weaker ppl. Make the loser take a little reward or just permit him/them to rejoin the solo/small man zone 1or2 more time

3) make the solo zone an istance so just the fighters can join
I think the 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 5v5 6v6 are all great but must coexist with RvR and have their spot sometime and when action lack..
Thu 2 Apr 2020 7:22 PM by Centenario
I personally don't like the idea of a WoW-like arena, haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet, so I don't know what it looks like.

Also the reward should be somewhat equivalent to PvE rewards (DS-HoH seasonal).

Otherwise, people who don't like competitive RvR will miss-out.
Thu 2 Apr 2020 9:05 PM by jwalker
Open die Areas AND a BG open to 50 as the events, so both elitist and casuals have something to look forward to. Or even better make these automatically open once the /u is below 350 players, so players do find fights on low pop situations.
Thu 2 Apr 2020 11:35 PM by MacPrior
Evants wich are happend too often are no more events, they become day-to-day.

Gilds and Alis, at least best of them organising events for members, you will destroy with too often customised events the guild life.

DAoC was designed for RvR, If we focus on 8vs8 or 1vs 1 it isn't DAoC anymore. Well in limited value it will be even OK, but you should be very careful with. RvR is multi-factorial, each arena is always the same.
Even pro gamers after some runs the arena becoming boring and quit the game very quickly.
Wed 8 Apr 2020 11:24 PM by Nephamael
I think the arena should be open the entire weekend but have different groupsizes.
So we could have 8v8, 5v5 and 1v1 as the main events, open the entire weekend but one more size changing every some hours like 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 6v6 - or let the smallman size differ from 2v2 to 6v6.
In past events NA time had problems filling groups of 6+ and even 5s so maybe consider always having a 3v3 or 4v4 groupsize event open after EU time is over and until it ramps up again.

-------------------------
Besides the 2 weekends per month arena event being a good idea we need everyday QOL improvements for solos and smallmen. Imo an additional solo and smallmen teleporter at opposing sides of EV is the best idea - imo without changing any of the terrain at all.
Wed 8 Apr 2020 11:41 PM by hefrocko2
Events should be boost to RPs, BPs, XP, feathers, etc. Maybe a special item gained from a PVE quest/raid or taking a certain amount of keeps/towers/relics... but creating an arena is totally anti-DAOC.
Thu 9 Apr 2020 5:47 AM by gotwqqd
More coddling the 1/1 small 8v8 players

If they happen to get what they like great. But creating things just for them erodes the game
Thu 16 Apr 2020 10:54 PM by DarkDavion
What do u think about an account timer for the arena? I'll explain better:

We can have the arena always open but every account can join it only for a determined period of time, for me suonds good 1h/day...in this way all wins bcs when u are getting bored u can have action in the arena, is a fast way for test /templates/builds/RAs vs enemyes and will have minimal effect to global RvR .

Maybe we can add a /command for see how many players are in the arena, for me is much better than an entire day dedicated to the arena, what do u think guys?
Wed 22 Apr 2020 6:27 AM by Astaa
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 9 Apr 2020 5:47 AM
More coddling the 1/1 small 8v8 players

If they happen to get what they like great. But creating things just for them erodes the game

You can still zerg about the place all you wish. Though why you gain entertainment from rolling soloers is anyone's guess.
Wed 22 Apr 2020 7:41 AM by Gildar
hefrocko2 wrote:
Wed 8 Apr 2020 11:41 PM
Events should be boost to RPs, BPs, XP, feathers, etc. Maybe a special item gained from a PVE quest/raid or taking a certain amount of keeps/towers/relics... but creating an arena is totally anti-DAOC.

that !
Tue 28 Apr 2020 3:18 PM by daoc4tw
the pvp event was so fun, I am gonna put my vote there. I am on the verdge of quitting . my friends are all gone, and it isnt very fun running around for 30 minutes, to get run over by 8+ people every run.
Thu 18 Jun 2020 12:38 AM by tech27
What happened to the scheduled events?
Sun 21 Jun 2020 10:21 PM by shintacki
tech27 wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020 12:38 AM
What happened to the scheduled events?

Asking the real questions
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics