Cata/DR/Lab

Started 19 Jun 2019
by Darkblue08
in Suggestions
Greetings fellow DAoC players!

I am a old timer played DAoC in all the known and tried version's over the past since it's launch so many eon's ago. With that being said I can honestly say that when ToA<Trials of Atlantis> expansion came out it caused game widespread unbalanced which has been verified even by mythic before they gave up. However weather you or I agree with that is a completely different matter and not what I'd like to talk about here. My question why not bring back the other expansions/CL's/all classes. The reason why I bring this up is the fact LIVE once tried a <classic> server which IMO was successful more so then the current state. Granted there are flaws with the other expansions i.e Laby and how it became the "hotzone" for almost all RvR fights. There are ways to minimize this just like LIVE did once by keeping it tied to NF keep control like DF. Anyways just a thought as it seems to me PHOENIX seems to have a good dev team that is trying and honestly I have not seen that in awhile. Anyways your thought's on this topic? please share!

Good Hunting my friends!
Thu 20 Jun 2019 1:26 AM by Azuell
Darkblue08 wrote:
Wed 19 Jun 2019 1:40 PM
My question why not bring back the other expansions/CL's/all classes. The reason why I bring this up is the fact LIVE once tried a <classic> server which IMO was successful more so then the current state. Granted there are flaws with the other expansions i.e Laby and how it became the "hotzone" for almost all RvR fights. There are ways to minimize this just like LIVE did once by keeping it tied to NF keep control like DF. Anyways just a thought as it seems to me PHOENIX seems to have a good dev team that is trying and honestly I have not seen that in awhile. Anyways your thought's on this topic? please share!

Good Hunting my friends!

The classic servers on live was my favorite version of DAOC. I forget when they launched but I only played through 2008, so not sure what they were like after that.
Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:42 AM by Ashok
I suppose we will never introduce the Catacombs classes as those have been the most unbalanced in the game just by their overall toolkit.
We also avoid implementing any ToA type bonuses on items - except for PvE instances.

And regarding zones... as you're aware via previous events and patches, the world building team is working on adding zones of ToA/Cata/DR for events and new content like instances. We don't want to just add "old PvE" content from retail and setting our own mark instead.
The upcoming instance will, by the way, utilize a larger Darkness Rising zone... bring a torch!
Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:56 PM by Leith
Ashok wrote:
Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:42 AM
I suppose we will never introduce the Catacombs classes as those have been the most unbalanced in the game just by their overall toolkit.
We also avoid implementing any ToA type bonuses on items - except for PvE instances.

And regarding zones... as you're aware via previous events and patches, the world building team is working on adding zones of ToA/Cata/DR for events and new content like instances. We don't want to just add "old PvE" content from retail and setting our own mark instead.
The upcoming instance will, by the way, utilize a larger Darkness Rising zone... bring a torch!

Will it be like DS with Feathers and all? And will it be a little more caster/casual friendly? It is realy hard to find DS groups in Hib. As all of them only want Animists and Void elds and you need to be completely temped and experienced to get in there.
Fri 21 Jun 2019 9:14 AM by Anelyn77
Would be nice to have the new content / dungeon more viable for a larger variation of group composition. While I don't mind there being (and peeps will always find it) a better group setup to clear it faster, not being able to do it if you don't have 7/8 required classes makes it a gatewall for anyone who doesn't have or likes to play that specific class.

/Bnotashamed R4L7 pac healer + Aicha R4L5 mentalist = LOVE
Fri 21 Jun 2019 10:37 AM by Hector
No way. If you ever introduce that stuff, RIP server
Fri 21 Jun 2019 12:29 PM by Ashok
Leith wrote:
Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:56 PM
Ashok wrote:

Will it be like DS with Feathers and all? And will it be a little more caster/casual friendly? It is realy hard to find DS groups in Hib. As all of them only want Animists and Void elds and you need to be completely temped and experienced to get in there.

Anelyn77 wrote: Would be nice to have the new content / dungeon more viable for a larger variation of group composition. While I don't mind there being (and peeps will always find it) a better group setup to clear it faster, not being able to do it if you don't have 7/8 required classes makes it a gatewall for anyone who doesn't have or likes to play that specific class.

We are aware that DS favored various group setups but also made the whole instance a joke on Albion.

The next one will feature new boss mechanics that allow new ways of managing a boss, in addition to some class changes.
Expect that the bosses require a lot more ad-hoc coordination within the group - we did wipe a lot during testing and knew the ablities.
Fri 21 Jun 2019 1:00 PM by Anelyn77
That is great news, thank you dear sir for brightening my day \o/

/Bnotashamed paci healer + Aicha mentalist = <3
Fri 21 Jun 2019 1:00 PM by Leith
Ashok wrote:
Fri 21 Jun 2019 12:29 PM
Leith wrote:
Ashok wrote:

We are aware that DS favored various group setups but also made the whole instance a joke on Albion.

The next one will feature new boss mechanics that allow new ways of managing a boss, in addition to some class changes.
Expect that the bosses require a lot more ad-hoc coordination within the group - we did wipe a lot during testing and knew the ablities.

I will take your word for it ^^
Fri 21 Jun 2019 1:06 PM by Sepplord
Ashok wrote:

i hate being pessimistic on stuff that we haven't seen yet...but this really doesn't sound as if it would include MORE of the player population, quite the contrary.
Is the design goal to make it really hard, almost unPUGable? Or is the goal to open it up to more players by shifting the focus away from class-skills onto playerskills?
Fri 21 Jun 2019 2:56 PM by Ashok
Sepplord wrote:
Fri 21 Jun 2019 1:06 PM
Ashok wrote:

i hate being pessimistic on stuff that we haven't seen yet...but this really doesn't sound as if it would include MORE of the player population, quite the contrary.
Is the design goal to make it really hard, almost unPUGable? Or is the goal to open it up to more players by shifting the focus away from class-skills onto playerskills?
The instances are intended to be a challenge, without being unfair.
After and even during our tests, there had been a lot of re-balancing; even revamping whole encounters because the original idea did not work out (too boring/easy/hard, ...).

I guess before releasing it we'll do a limited 'beta' again, inviting some players to test it, just like we did for Darkspire, to do some final balancing.
Sat 6 Jul 2019 8:38 AM by SlowMo
Any Chance for a Solo instance in the Future ?
Or instance that scales with the number of Players, to make it an Option for Solo challenges?
Sat 6 Jul 2019 4:13 PM by florin
Never been a fan of instances - artificial segmentation in an open world designed game. But I guess it worked for WoW. I just did my first complete DS run as a necro - I pretty much debuffed and tanked every boss while 4 theur beat them down. Did not find it satisfying. I solo a lot and the idea of a solo instance doesn’t appeal to me either, much more in favor of open rvr dungeons where there is some risk and excitement at the possibility of a realm fight.
Sat 13 Jul 2019 4:53 AM by Puandro
Ashok wrote:
Leith wrote:
Ashok wrote:

Anelyn77 wrote: Would be nice to have the new content / dungeon more viable for a larger variation of group composition. While I don't mind there being (and peeps will always find it) a better group setup to clear it faster, not being able to do it if you don't have 7/8 required classes makes it a gatewall for anyone who doesn't have or likes to play that specific class.

It's only a joke on Albion because the smart PvE players were on albion, now they are on Hib and are pushing sub 20 mins.
Mon 15 Jul 2019 7:46 PM by Tharlin
I would like to see all the remaining classes here too!
Mon 27 Apr 2020 4:23 PM by Dramead
Ashok wrote:

Sad .. Like that other classic free server who did not want to listen to player requests. It seems this one may follow in suit. But I tell the many many people asking for all classes over the years that BS is looking into a new server type for live.. Word is a return to NO TOA might be coming back.. So everyone asking for a classic cata/DR/Labby experience without TOA.. We may be getting it soon..

People keep saying that adjusting the cata classes would just be too much work.. Abilities change via nerf, buff, or outright change on Phoenix daily. Too much work is not a good excuse. What warlocks original dot to high ? what was it like a 102 or something delve ? well change it to 64 . OMG that was hard.. 2 sec insta chambers to OP ? OMG change it to 4 sec chambers .. Again that was nightmarishly hard.. Valks HOT for 40 every 3 sec for 15 sec .. OMG change it to every 5 sec for 15 sec .. SOOOO hard..

OK vamps might be tricky with their inherent buffs . Or is it ? Vamps apon log in a perma 10% debuff in all stats.. This one may be hard .. The only things worth doing are the hard things.

I have to look at it this way .. If they can figure out how to add an instance and restrict animist and theurg pets, make pet take 5X more dmg, and all the other custom things they have been able to do.. I am sure adjusting class abilities, ranks as very easy on the can do list..

If you don't want the cata classes thats fine .. But I am tired of people saying it would be too hard.. People who say it would be to hard might as well slap the Phoenix devs in tha face.. Look at what they have been able to do? You honestly thing tweaking abilities would be to hard for them ? They do it everyday..

I would like to see the matter of cata classes put to a vote by the players.. Once and for all. Although if all the requests over the years are any indication.. The vote has all ready been cast..
Mon 27 Apr 2020 4:42 PM by Riac
Dramead wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 4:23 PM
Ashok wrote:

Sad .. Like that other classic free server who did not want to listen to player requests. It seems this one may follow in suit. But I tell the many many people asking for all classes over the years that BS is looking into a new server type for live.. Word is a return to NO TOA might be coming back.. So everyone asking for a classic cata/DR/Labby experience without TOA.. We may be getting it soon..

People keep saying that adjusting the cata classes would just be too much work.. Abilities change via nerf, buff, or outright change on Phoenix daily. Too much work is not a good excuse. What warlocks original dot to high ? what was it like a 102 or something delve ? well change it to 64 . OMG that was hard.. 2 sec insta chambers to OP ? OMG change it to 4 sec chambers .. Again that was nightmarishly hard.. Valks HOT for 40 every 3 sec for 15 sec .. OMG change it to every 5 sec for 15 sec .. SOOOO hard..

OK vamps might be tricky with their inherent buffs . Or is it ? Vamps apon log in a perma 10% debuff in all stats.. This one may be hard .. The only things worth doing are the hard things.

I have to look at it this way .. If they can figure out how to add an instance and restrict animist and theurg pets, make pet take 5X more dmg, and all the other custom things they have been able to do.. I am sure adjusting class abilities, ranks as very easy on the can do list..

If you don't want the cata classes thats fine .. But I am tired of people saying it would be too hard.. People who say it would be to hard might as well slap the Phoenix devs in tha face.. Look at what they have been able to do? You honestly thing tweaking abilities would be to hard for them ? They do it everyday..

I would like to see the matter of cata classes put to a vote by the players.. Once and for all. Although if all the requests over the years are any indication.. The vote has all ready been cast..
i promise you, no one wants cata classes here. the ppl you hear talking about it on the forums is a very small representation of the over all player base. most ppl dont look at the forums. coastguarding is already way too bad (and pathetic lol), now imagine vamps running up and down the coast.
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:06 PM by Dramead
Riac wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 4:42 PM
Dramead wrote:
Ashok wrote:

i promise you, no one wants cata classes here. the ppl you hear talking about it on the forums is a very small representation of the over all player base. most ppl dont look at the forums. coastguarding is already way too bad (and pathetic lol), now imagine vamps running up and down the coast.

My point is if they were adjusted . Vamps wouldn't be anymore of a problem they anyone else... All I am saying id put it to a player vote... I understand you think a small % of players want it.. But if you go read the live forums alot of folks say that if this server had all the classes .. they wouldn't even bother with live.. If they would put it to a vote I am sure you would be surprised at the outcome..
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:12 PM by Riac
Dramead wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:06 PM
Riac wrote:
Dramead wrote:

My point is if they were adjusted . Vamps wouldn't be anymore of a problem they anyone else... All I am saying id put it to a player vote... I understand you think a small % of players want it.. But if you go read the live forums alot of folks say that if this server had all the classes .. they wouldn't even bother with live.. If they would put it to a vote I am sure you would be surprised at the outcome..
id vote no and im pretty sure most other ppl would also.
as for the ppl sitting on live because their broken op class isnt here, i hope they are enjoying live lol. they arent really needed, we have enough adding coast guarders w/o all the vamp players lol.
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:25 PM by Dramead
Riac wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:12 PM
Dramead wrote:
Riac wrote:

as for the ppl sitting on live because their broken op class isnt here, i hope they are enjoying live lol. they arent really needed, we have enough adding coast guarders w/o all the vamp players lol.

LOL See you prove my point about the issue.. And I am not tring to be mean at all here.. Its a simple observation of your response and many other people response..

People are on live because their broken "OP" class isn't here ... DUDE so make them not OP.. ADJUST them to be more in line with classic classes.. It's not that big of a deal. They adjust abilities everyday here .. If your complaint about adding the rest of the game is the fact that cata + classes are OP then make them not OP..
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:37 PM by Riac
Dramead wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:25 PM
Riac wrote:
Dramead wrote:

LOL See you prove my point about the issue.. And I am not tring to be mean at all here.. Its a simple observation of your response and many other people response..

People are on live because their broken "OP" class isn't here ... DUDE so make them not OP.. ADJUST them to be more in line with classic classes.. It's not that big of a deal. They adjust abilities everyday here .. If your complaint about adding the rest of the game is the fact that cata + classes are OP then make them not OP..
no one wants to deal with that shit. you wanna play them, then go play live. everyone came to play a pre-toa server. at this point its a pre-toa themed server. what do the two have in common you may ask.... no gay ass cata classes for one.
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:49 PM by Dramead
Riac wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:37 PM
Dramead wrote:
Riac wrote:

no one wants to deal with that shit. you wanna play them, then go play live. everyone came to play a pre-toa server. at this point its a pre-toa themed server. what do the two have in common you may ask.... no gay ass cata classes for one.

Sry to have upset you .. I did not realize that you might be so bad at DAOC that you could not fight against nerfed cata classes ..Apparently you didn;t play on Lamorak or Gareth.. NO TOA and with cata classes.. The most popular live DAOC servers in history until EA screwed the pooch. GL to you
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:53 PM by Quik
Is Mid still short a class compared to Hib/Alb? I think it is only fair we get Valk's...
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:55 PM by Riac
Dramead wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:49 PM
Riac wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:37 PM
Dramead wrote:

Sry to have upset you .. I did not realize that you might be so bad at DAOC that you could not fight against nerfed cata classes ..Apparently you didn;t play on Lamorak or Gareth.. NO TOA and with cata classes.. The most popular live DAOC servers in history until EA screwed the pooch. GL to you
pre-toa and no toa w/ cata classes are two very different things.
nerfed or not, no one wants that shit here. enough coast guards already. feel free to play live yourself though.
as far as it being the most popular server in dac history, im betting the main draw was no the cata classes.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics