Penetrating arrow

Started 5 Jun 2019
by zibroumix
in Suggestions
Good morning or good evening all,

I wonder if penetrating arrow has been dismissed on purpose ?

up to me, when i cross a cloth caster as i am a almost an 8L scout i know i just cannot 1v1 it ... the pet interupts or intercepts, and once i loose initiative with my bow i can only cross my fingers and expect to run out smartly to have a little hope to survive.

is it normal?
please scout, rangers and a bit less hunters, (cause the pet may be a joker) Inform us what you think about it.

Cu latter gonna sleep.

Zib
Wed 5 Jun 2019 5:27 AM by REVOLTE
please dont make fun him for using the term "wizard" here when hes obviously talking about casters in general.
thanks in advance! ♥
Wed 5 Jun 2019 12:34 PM by Estat
Scouts can not 1vs1 Wizards because Wizards are Albion too. Wizards do not have Pets.
Wed 5 Jun 2019 1:01 PM by Sepplord
REVOLTE wrote: please dont make fun him for using the term "wizard" here when hes obviously talking about casters in general.
thanks in advance! ♥
Estat wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 12:34 PM
Scouts can not 1vs1 Wizards because Wizards are Albion too. Wizards do not have Pets.

i know it was hard, especially since he mentioned being RR8

That said, there definitely are a few casters that can be very dangerous to archers, if the caster is paying attention and faces into quickcast fast. You will then usually need purge. On my archer i usually don't try to open up on them at maxrange, but rather close so i can rush to melee should they get the upper hand in ruppt

No goes:
Bonedancers are pretty much no goes to attack, buttload of instant-ruppts, lifeleech, healpets...an archers nightmare unless you can burst him with multiple attackers
Necros similarly unwanted enemies, just tooo sturdy

So or So matchups:
Enchanters can be quite annoying because they can kite you with snare-pet
Kabalist similar, but more proc reliant
SM similar, proc reliant but also intercept on pet
sorcerers not as bad, but depends on pet...can be quite easy or really hard
menta like sorc, can be piss easy but also hard as hell

always nice targets:
Animist outside of shroomrange or during transfer
Runemasters
Eldritches
wizards
theurgs (on paper these should be one categorie up, but my personal preference and experience was different)

Maybe i should mention that even the nice targets require you to purge.
And that all that only applies to casters that are good

All paperdaoc though, my archer on phoenix is still on his way to RR4
Wed 5 Jun 2019 2:35 PM by zibroumix
For godsake.. i didnt ask a recap of all the habilities of a god playing..

What i just say that its very hard to solo a caster. Almost impossible for some of them..

And it reduces bow classes to solo classes mid range or to leech.

Penetrating arrow is enable on the plan char, why does it nor work at all? Cause it doesnt make sense.

Now i give you en exemple : an enchant solo : penetrating arrrow down him 25-50% life on a crit shot.. then second arrow is blocked by the pbt.. the pet allready interupts.. yes tvis is an eveb fight... but without penetrating arrow it is not..
And this is just an exemple
Wed 5 Jun 2019 2:42 PM by Mura
zibroumix wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 2:35 PM
For godsake.. i didnt ask a recap of all the habilities of a god playing..

What i just say that its very hard to solo a caster. Almost impossible for some of them..

And it reduces ranger to solo skalds healer away from a group, and leech on fights

Penetrating arrow is enable on the plan char, why does it nor work at all?

So you're not looking to improve your game to stand a better chance against casters, you just want to publicly whine and moan that you still die to casters at RR8+.

I wouldn't make a habit of insulting people who are trying to answer your questions, or people are just not going to answer your questions anymore.
Wed 5 Jun 2019 3:17 PM by Anelyn77
Pen arrow only works on PBT, not cast BT.
Wed 5 Jun 2019 5:12 PM by Kappu
Anelyn77 wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 3:17 PM

It also works on casted BT as long as it isn't the casters BT.

So on Mid getting a BT from a Runemaster will still allow Penetrating Arrow to go through also.
Wed 5 Jun 2019 5:19 PM by Glimmer
Start with rapid fire(or normalshot) to break their bubble, then follow up by critshot
Casters are tasty rps for my scout(or were when i was playing it ;p )
Wed 5 Jun 2019 6:16 PM by gotwqqd
Glimmer wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 5:19 PM
Start with rapid fire(or normalshot) to break their bubble, then follow up by critshot
Why would this matter?
It’s even worse as the caster has more time
I break bubble on chanter, he /faces and stuns
He and his pet nuke me down
All in less than 5 seconds after the stun
Wed 5 Jun 2019 6:27 PM by Glimmer
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 6:16 PM
Glimmer wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 5:19 PM
Why would this matter?
It’s even worse as the caster has more time
I break bubble on chanter, he /faces and stuns
He and his pet nuke me down
All in less than 5 seconds after the stun
It all depends who you fight... some ppls react like robots so you can stand 0 chance vs them as archer scout.
Wed 5 Jun 2019 10:18 PM by Beren
As a solo Scout you can add fights, that's it. Against any competent even con, you will lose, also against the easier caster targets.
The harder ones can make 100 mistakes and still win. Scouts are the worst class in 1on1.
Archers are very bad in general. Rangers the best of 'em, but still, what can they kill, if they aren't higher rr than the opponent and specced to exactly face them?
Wed 5 Jun 2019 10:55 PM by Anelyn77
Kappu wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 5:12 PM
Anelyn77 wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 3:17 PM

It also works on casted BT as long as it isn't the casters BT.

So on Mid getting a BT from a Runemaster will still allow Penetrating Arrow to go through also.

You are completely right!
Thu 6 Jun 2019 1:52 AM by Kappu
Beren wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 10:18 PM
As a solo Scout you can add fights, that's it. Against any competent even con, you will lose, also against the easier caster targets.
The harder ones can make 100 mistakes and still win. Scouts are the worst class in 1on1.
Archers are very bad in general. Rangers the best of 'em, but still, what can they kill, if they aren't higher rr than the opponent and specced to exactly face them?

Having no issues killing stuff on my Hunter...... Might wanna think about your play style see plenty of Scouts doing well and Ranges have zero issue killing anything.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 3:23 AM by Miiro
I feel we should be able to break through caster bubble of crit shot lands. If assassins can break it with PA it makes sense archers do too.

It at least gives archers a chance vs casters.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 5:58 AM by Sepplord
Miiro wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 3:23 AM
I feel we should be able to break through caster bubble of crit shot lands. If assassins can break it with PA it makes sense archers do too.

that comparison makes sense, as soon as PA loses frontal requirement, stealth requirement and can be applied from nominal 2000units away
Thu 6 Jun 2019 7:25 AM by Lillebror
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 5:58 AM
Miiro wrote:

that comparison makes sense, as soon as PA loses frontal requirement.

If they spec 50 bow they should atleast have a percent chance of breaking past bubble on first crit
Thu 6 Jun 2019 8:12 AM by Sepplord
Lillebror wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 7:25 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Miiro wrote:

If they spec 50 bow they should atleast have a percent chance of breaking past bubble on first crit

i am not opposed to changes in penetrating arrow. It is pretty useless currently and speccing bow higher is also, so changing something there could solve both issues at once. The comparison to PA is ridiculous though
Thu 6 Jun 2019 11:06 AM by Beren
Kappu wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 1:52 AM
Beren wrote:
Wed 5 Jun 2019 10:18 PM

Having no issues killing stuff on my Hunter...... Might wanna think about your play style see plenty of Scouts doing well and Ranges have zero issue killing anything.

I just didn't talk about being able to kill something. I was talking about being able to kill even con, which i probably need to explain for you. It means, same rr, same skill (if you can measure that). And i made another prerequisite: not having to spec exactly and only for this class of opponents to stand a chance (gimping you for other targets).
Scouts can't even do that, in my experience they cannot win any such fights - with the prerequisites i made.

So basically you made a bragging post, about how good as a hunter you are, insulting me in the very same post by belittling me and suggesting to change my playstyle.
That tells more about the author of such a post than about the adressed.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 12:18 PM by Miiro
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 8:12 AM
Lillebror wrote:
Sepplord wrote:

i am not opposed to changes in penetrating arrow. It is pretty useless currently and speccing bow higher is also, so changing something there could solve both issues at once. The comparison to PA is ridiculous though

It may seem like a ridiculous comparison to you and that is fine. Regardless, archers should at least have a chance to break caster bubble IMO. I feel we used to be able to break caster bubble with crit shots but I could be mis remembering. At that time people had brittle guards too so I don't know if they had to give archers a chance after ToA or not. Either way, I feel penetrating arrow is utter trash as it is and getting a chance to break caster bubble makes sense to me.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 2:18 PM by Kappu
Beren wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 11:06 AM
I just didn't talk about being able to kill something. I was talking about being able to kill even con, which i probably need to explain for you. It means, same rr, same skill (if you can measure that). And i made another prerequisite: not having to spec exactly and only for this class of opponents to stand a chance (gimping you for other targets).
Scouts can't even do that, in my experience they cannot win any such fights - with the prerequisites i made.

So basically you made a bragging post, about how good as a hunter you are, insulting me in the very same post by belittling me and suggesting to change my playstyle.
That tells more about the author of such a post than about the addressed.

Well, you are discussing even con (which isn't a term that has ever been used in this game aside from a Mobs CON), but I got what you meant. I'm saying that you complaining about a spec and being able to kill things is ridiculous you get to pick your fights as a sneak and if you can't kill someone or something isn't going how you expected you may need to re-evaluate the way you are playing.

My point on my Hunter is that as an Archer I have zero issues using a Hybrid type spec killing things. You can't have some ridiculous pre-requisites in a game that has a varying set of classes, RR's, items, damage types and etc.

There is no exact spec for any class you spec for a play style and if that style is a flop then change something instead of crying about the class or just delete it and re-roll.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 2:20 PM by Kappu
Miiro wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 12:18 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 8:12 AM
Lillebror wrote:

It may seem like a ridiculous comparison to you and that is fine. Regardless, archers should at least have a chance to break caster bubble IMO. I feel we used to be able to break caster bubble with crit shots but I could be mis remembering. At that time people had brittle guards too so I don't know if they had to give archers a chance after ToA or not. Either way, I feel penetrating arrow is utter trash as it is and getting a chance to break caster bubble makes sense to me.

I don't think you should be able to break a casters personal BT with Penetrating Arrow and get 100% full damage. I do think you should get some damage out of the first shot though as to not negate either's ability 100%
Thu 6 Jun 2019 3:33 PM by Beren
Kappu wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 2:18 PM
Beren wrote:

Well, you are discussing even con (which isn't a term that has ever been used in this game aside from a Mobs CON), but I got what you meant. I'm saying that you complaining about a spec and being able to kill things is ridiculous you get to pick your fights as a sneak and if you can't kill someone or something isn't going how you expected you may need to re-evaluate the way you are playing.

My point on my Hunter is that as an Archer I have zero issues using a Hybrid type spec killing things. You can't have some ridiculous pre-requisites in a game that has a varying set of classes, RR's, items, damage types and etc.

There is no exact spec for any class you spec for a play style and if that style is a flop then change something instead of crying about the class or just delete it and re-roll.

Well, i made a statement, that i find is true. You come along, twist my statement and insult me.
You didn't have to answer, if you couldn't even answer to the point and had to make things up to brag about your hunter skills.
Even worse you respond this time trying very hard to argue by calling anything ridiculous. Furthermore simply stating, that i couldn't do this and couldn't do that,
finishing with a recommendation to re-roll.

I never said, that you couldn't kill something as an archer. I said you had to be an adder or fight lower rank&skill or spec(RAs ofc included) to the extreme (melee only).
Mostly i was talking about the situation of scouts though. A class, that i have played at least in rvr for some time, before i re-rolled out of that class.
Have you ever played a scout here?
As a ranger on the other hand there are only two classes, i never lose against in a 1on1 (if not afk, make horrible mistakes or my cat jumps onto the keyboard):
Scout and hunter.
But that was before the recent hunter buff, maybe hunters got a lot better now.

Go on now and continue to tell me, that you can kill stuff on your hunter please.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 3:39 PM by Miiro
Why not full damage? Not like it will one shot anybody since casters have a decent af buff and pots.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 4:57 PM by Kappu
Beren wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 3:33 PM
Kappu wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 2:18 PM
Beren wrote:

Well, i made a statement, that i find is true. You come along, twist my statement and insult me.
You didn't have to answer, if you couldn't even answer to the point and had to make things up to brag about your hunter skills.
Even worse you respond this time trying very hard to argue by calling anything ridiculous. Furthermore simply stating, that i couldn't do this and couldn't do that,
finishing with a recommendation to re-roll.

I never said, that you couldn't kill something as an archer. I said you had to be an adder or fight lower rank&skill or spec(RAs ofc included) to the extreme (melee only).
Mostly i was talking about the situation of scouts though. A class, that i have played at least in rvr for some time, before i re-rolled out of that class.
Have you ever played a scout here?
As a ranger on the other hand there are only two classes, i never lose against in a 1on1 (if not afk, make horrible mistakes or my cat jumps onto the keyboard):
Scout and hunter.
But that was before the recent hunter buff, maybe hunters got a lot better now.

Go on now and continue to tell me, that you can kill stuff on your hunter please.

Played a Scout for over a decade on Live with no problems from Classic to TOA......

I'm sure you never lose to either of those classes.....
Thu 6 Jun 2019 7:08 PM by Beren
Kappu wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 4:57 PM
Played a Scout for over a decade on Live with no problems from Classic to TOA......

So you haven't played a scout here.
Do you lose regularly against scouts?
Thu 6 Jun 2019 7:20 PM by Kappu
Beren wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 7:08 PM
Kappu wrote:
Thu 6 Jun 2019 4:57 PM

So you haven't played a scout here.
Do you lose regularly against scouts?

Playing a Scout here isn't any different than Classic Live.....

Yep, I have lost to a Scout because they did you all a favor hand reduced the attacker's penalty on a shield. Not hard to win or lose a fight but they do take 5 mins.
Sun 16 Jun 2019 10:32 PM by paqdizzle
Pen arrow should break all blade turns..
Scouts should have the best bow damage out of all 3 realms
50 bow is garbage and needs to be worth it.
35 bow damage is the same as 50 bow damage minus 40ish damage.

back in the day
**Scouts had the Bow Damage** <
**Hunters had pets and medium to high Bow damage** <
**Rangers had speed and self buffs**<
now we have:
**all archery damage is the same at 35 throughout the realms**
**both hunters and rangers have self buffs**
**both hunters and rangers have speed**
**Scouts get a ... nothing.**

Let's bring that meta for archery back plz.
There is no reason to play a class that is meant to kill cloth wearers when they have the most trouble on them/most of them.

The variable of something going your way as a archer nowadays is very slim unless you're either fighting a newbie or low rr character and have a decent location to start your attack. When playing a archer class like a caster, things tend to be more smooth but then scouts are nerffed more-so in that regard than any other realm.
The argument is that scouts get "Slam"... Not realizing that you have to break that focus of playing like you're trying to kite just to get in melee range- just to get your slam off- just to get purged by almost a good 95% of the server pop. It's easier to play a ranger or hunter than it is on a scout, UNLESS the stars align and your target doesn't have purge, then you have to hope you can off said target with your poop bow damage.

I don't know who QQ'ed the classes into the dirt but it sucks.
Sun 16 Jun 2019 10:38 PM by stinsfire

Hunter does not have access to 5.5 speed bows so their damage is lower. Ranger and Scout have the same DMG, but scout has 100 more range than ranger and 200 more than hunter
Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:39 AM by Sepplord
ranger has dmg add though, which increases bowdmg further
Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:37 AM by Sayuri
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:39 AM

and more dex/quick cause of self buff
Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:42 AM by Sepplord
Sayuri wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:37 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:39 AM

and more dex/quick cause of self buff

good additional point
their selfbuffline also opens them up to spec MoA which increases all buffpot buffs too
Wed 19 Jun 2019 2:12 AM by Snakejuice
Would swap my slam for selfbuffs in a heartbeat..
Tue 2 Jul 2019 7:38 AM by paqdizzle
stinsfire wrote:
Sun 16 Jun 2019 10:38 PM

Hunter does not have access to 5.5 speed bows so their damage is lower. Ranger and Scout have the same DMG, but scout has 100 more range than ranger and 200 more than hunter

no, the hunter does too similar of bow damage as scout yet, has speed, a pet, and really good melee...
been hit by hunters with their bow for 500 very often. I see those very numbers as well on my scout. except he have garbage melee damage and resorted for just utility use. no speed... no pets.. no buffs. we're gimp simple as that and devs need too fix them without letting the QQ'ers sway their decision to make anything melee/physical damage based toons worth playing on alb side.
Tue 2 Jul 2019 11:28 AM by stinsfire
paqdizzle wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 7:38 AM
stinsfire wrote:

no, the hunter does too similar of bow damage as scout yet, has speed, a pet, and really good melee...
been hit by hunters with their bow for 500 very often. I see those very numbers as well on my scout. except he have garbage melee damage and resorted for just utility use. no speed... no pets.. no buffs. we're gimp simple as that and devs need too fix them without letting the QQ'ers sway their decision to make anything melee/physical damage based toons worth playing on alb side.

Hunter only has 5.0 Bow and 200 less range. If you are immune to facts and rather rely on your feelings and anecdotes then there is no point in discussing anything with you. I don't know about the state of scout but you can't simply ignore facts.

I only know that rangers are stupid strong at the moment. Basically impossible to fight them for me. Yesterday I saw my hunter friend fight a Ranger and the ranger did about 25-30% dmg per swing. I was confused how fast my friends health dropped. He maybe did 20-30% dmg while the ranger did 100%. Maybe he was lucky with procs or I dont know, he had a dot charge my guildmate didn't notice. But he killed the hunter faster than a NS after PA chain. Whack Whack Whack Whack and he was dead.
Tue 2 Jul 2019 1:28 PM by Tamy
Snakejuice wrote:
Wed 19 Jun 2019 2:12 AM
Would swap my slam for selfbuffs in a heartbeat..

Would never do that in my case.
Tue 2 Jul 2019 5:37 PM by Mavella
stinsfire wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 11:28 AM
paqdizzle wrote:
Tue 2 Jul 2019 7:38 AM
stinsfire wrote:

Hunter only has 5.0 Bow and 200 less range. If you are immune to facts and rather rely on your feelings and anecdotes then there is no point in discussing anything with you. I don't know about the state of scout but you can't simply ignore facts.

I only know that rangers are stupid strong at the moment. Basically impossible to fight them for me. Yesterday I saw my hunter friend fight a Ranger and the ranger did about 25-30% dmg per swing. I was confused how fast my friends health dropped. He maybe did 20-30% dmg while the ranger did 100%. Maybe he was lucky with procs or I dont know, he had a dot charge my guildmate didn't notice. But he killed the hunter faster than a NS after PA chain. Whack Whack Whack Whack and he was dead.

Full melee, 10% bonus on mid studded if blades(what else would they use?), can easily push 325++ str with MoA and Aug str stacking. Guessing they can easily qui cap no matter the race. Melee rangers EASILY make out heads and shoulders above anyone else with MoA increasing their self buffs and buff pots. It's stupid, I've had a ask the team thread open about it for weeks and it's been ignored. Guess this will be my reminder to go bump it.
Wed 3 Jul 2019 7:56 AM by songfire
I kinda bumped it for ya. Really curious if it's intended or not...
Thu 11 Jul 2019 12:10 AM by paqdizzle
Devs said that it was a touchy subject to buff scouts cause the other realms would QQ...
Clock stated to me in a PM that it's going to be **Hard** to buff them without buffing the other realms too..

I swear so many of you guys are the biggest cry babies in the world.. You all remember albs in beta? or at least the scouts in beta? SO much better in beta.. not it's all unbalanced beyond daoc's original concepts, it's maddening.

and I have no idea why.... I don't understand how albs were unbalanced to get this big of a nerf since beta while hibs have multiple alb classes built into 1 or 2 classes.
With how the game is right now.. the state of the server is in: Hibs feel cheesy when going vs them, Mids are stated to be the most OP realm yet it doesn't feel like it when going vs them.. it actually feels like normal RvR vs mids, other than the numbers((population)) game.

Hibs are corn ball cheesy mode...
Mids are normal
Albs are gimped...

anyone NOT playing alb, go make an alb and find out..
Devs need to start playing their own server with an open mind.

Sorry but if I were capable of making this server come to life with a team of devs to back me, I would play the hell out of my server all 3 realms to make sure it's fully balanced. RAs classes, and realms... Right now it feels like the Dev team is PK running around with a 7 man of cheesy toons ripping solo's and small mans, and even 7 manning a BG of 40-50 and still winning due to shroom placement and running away on top of insta amnesia that seems to even interrupt twf which says in the description that it's uninterruptible. why tf do they have an insta version of one of the best rupts/speed breaking spells in game? what about that is balanced?

Bards can even maintain their speed (i've done it) when timing their insta amnesia...
and of course as soon as I post this, there are gonna be jerkoffs that seem to want it to stay this unbalanced or try to defend it... in which case, go play an alb class so you can get rofl stomped by cheese and NO skill...

for real starting to remind me of WoW's Devs... all the trolls QQ'ed and now the game/server is a mess.
Thu 11 Jul 2019 12:17 AM by paqdizzle
Could anyone imagine if scouts had pets and speed with melee damage that does around 200ish? sometimes 300 and self buffs!?
With that said, at one point scouts were literally the only archer class that did great bow damage. even in beta scouts did like 150-200 more damage other than their rapid fire.. that still did around 100-150 which makes sense. but standard shots hit for a good 300-400, crits did around 700, on most temped classes.((other than tanks)) (((even though I hit a warrior for 550 something which ain't bad at all for a tank but that was crit shot, so after that you're only going to do 200 ish damage on standards, which ain't going to kill s**t except lowbies.)))
Sun 1 Mar 2020 10:14 AM by Siouxsie
7 months later and nothing's ever been resolved here. Bow damage is worse now because of CL/ML-like hitpoints buffs.
I bet most of the people who posted in this thread have left the game since out of frustration.
Mon 2 Mar 2020 11:33 PM by Forlornhope
Siouxsie wrote:
Sun 1 Mar 2020 10:14 AM
7 months later and nothing's ever been resolved here. Bow damage is worse now because of CL/ML-like hitpoints buffs.
I bet most of the people who posted in this thread have left the game since out of frustration.

They've made their thoughts on archer classes known by leaving them in mediocrity.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics