Buff pot timers

Started 6 Oct 2018
by Fugitive
in Open Community Votes
I feel as if the timers of 10 mins is too short for buff pots bu alchemists and should be upped to 20 mins. Maybe even reduce the timer of consuming them too? How about upping the costs of the materials and making them more money in housing to compensate? What are your thoughts?
Sat 6 Oct 2018 4:43 AM by defiasbandit
This would be good 10 minutes seems too short.
Sat 6 Oct 2018 12:54 PM by cortexqc
yes 10mn is real fast time... make it to material cost or quantity X2, it's really a pain in solo pve xp/farming to kill 10 monster and have to full rebuff again.
Sat 6 Oct 2018 3:23 PM by Magesty
The ten minute timer is pretty brutal.

Depending on the task you might spend seven of the ten minutes running to the correct zone. You have to burn the potion right when you leave because you might get into a fight on the way and the combat timer makes it impossible to use them once engaged on. So you get to the zone and have three minutes left on your rinky dinky timer. Now you’re gonna be in the thick of it and you don’t want that bar to start flashing during a fight. Best to burn it again. Check out those self buffs though— they still have like fifteen minutes left.

So here you are. You’ve burnt two charges of an extremely expensive potion just because you’re anticipating a fight and the mechanics restrict you (understandably so) from using them as needed.

A shitty blue graphic fizzles above your head. Oh, cool, a Hib guild group has insta amnesia’d your solo ass from clip range and is currently spreading out (???) to run you down. /sit... /release... and time to repeat the whole process until you have a new task.

If we are going to be essentially required to use potions the moment we leave our keep then there is little reason to not have the timers at twenty minutes. Even fifteen would make a pretty big difference in terms of quality of life and the overall “feel”. Shit feels flat out bad to use right now. It’s in the 9:00s as soon as you pop it and we all know that, depending on the current action, nine minutes might not even be enough time to find a competitive fight.
Sat 6 Oct 2018 3:58 PM by Ganaka
Casted buffs, that don't require concentration, last 20 or 23 minutes. If buff pots are extended 10 minutes, should the casted buffs also be extended?
Sat 6 Oct 2018 4:54 PM by Glimmer
Imo, add bonus to potion time for creating better quality pots like:
97% 14min,
98% 16min,
99% 18min,
100% 20min/30min for great luck.
Sat 6 Oct 2018 5:22 PM by Armsmancer
This would be a great QOL change. Alchemists don't really make much off of selling potions to people anyway so it won't be some detriment and "you're hurting alchs" statements won't hold weight.
Sat 6 Oct 2018 6:29 PM by defiasbandit
Make charge items last 20-25 minutes also. Allow us to use multiple charge buffs at the same time. What is the point of making us wait 2-3 minutes per buff? Put some players at more of a disadvantage?
Sat 6 Oct 2018 6:47 PM by relvinian
There should be no delay from using non instant pots.

You cast invig, you wait one minute, cast pom.

Now you are ready to go and in 9 minutes you can do it again.

I could care less about balance. I just don't want to hit all those damn buttons and be annoyed by waiting.

Make it so, please!
Sun 7 Oct 2018 12:03 AM by imissswg
10 minutes is ridiculous. They upped the self buffs from 10 to 23 minutes as a QoL improvement. Do the same for pots!
Sun 7 Oct 2018 1:52 AM by Aincrad
Yes please!
Tue 9 Oct 2018 3:21 PM by Dominus
on my Skald, I mezzed a ranger and literally saw his buffs fall off during the short mezz. I felt badly knowing how this feels to me just as I'm about to engage, so I sped off and let him be. We really do need longer timers. What's the harm?
Wed 10 Oct 2018 6:03 PM by schreon
A soft alternative to this would be to grant a temporary 200% buff duration bonus to the realm the tasks are currently in.
Wed 10 Oct 2018 6:07 PM by defiasbandit
schreon wrote:
Wed 10 Oct 2018 6:03 PM
A soft alternative to this would be to grant a temporary 200% buff duration bonus to the realm the tasks are currently in.

What? No.

Make buff pots and charges 20 minutes at least for everyone.
Wed 10 Oct 2018 6:37 PM by Pendalith
aye pot timers to short atm imo
Mon 15 Oct 2018 1:03 AM by Ombrix
Agreed
Fri 19 Oct 2018 8:24 AM by magicbuns
Glimmer wrote:
Sat 6 Oct 2018 4:54 PM
97% 14min,
98% 16min,
99% 18min,

This....is actually a pretty good idea.
Thu 25 Oct 2018 2:11 PM by Chaskha
Lower the buffs from pots - make the lowered buffs last 23min.
Or remove the damn pots so everyone stop acting like DAoC is meant to SOLO.
Thu 25 Oct 2018 2:46 PM by Renork
Chaskha wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018 2:11 PM

DAOC caters to every play style. You can play solo, small man, 8 man or zerg. Your mentality is the same mentality that helped destroy Uthgard. Funny how the hardcores all left that server and now are trying to do the same thing here.
Thu 25 Oct 2018 3:52 PM by Chaskha
Renork wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018 2:46 PM
Chaskha wrote:

DAOC caters to every play style. You can play solo, small man, 8 man or zerg. Your mentality is the same mentality that helped destroy Uthgard. Funny how the hardcores all left that server and now are trying to do the same thing here.
Catering to everyone is the receipt for disaster, universally. It has nothing to do with my mentality.
I like mini zergs and stealth, I'm not popular or from the 8v8 crowd. Not really a hardcore player either but not a casual (I guess I play 24h/week or so).
DAoC has always been a group oriented game though and that should be the main focus. I have nothing against solo, duo, small man but if boosting their playstyle means impairing any the Groups fights, it shouldn't be pushed IN MY OPINION (let's remember it's just that, an opinion).

Lower buffs would still be a boost but would also keep the classes with buff specs or selfs on top when it comes to grouping.

Now, the worst mentality in a community based, group oriented game where synergy and cooperation inside a realm is crucial, is the SOLO mentality.
It's ok that some people cannot commit to a group because of real life obligation most of the time of the day but if you cannot be in a group, ever, by personal preference then DAoC is not a great choice. Nothing has destroyed the MMO genre more than the introduction of the classes you can level all the way without speaking to anyone.

Now, if you disagree, make a point. I'm fairly ok to be proven wrong and will change my mind in that case but avoid the personal attacks, it's easy and unlikely proving anything more than anger.
Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:07 PM by Renork
Chaskha wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018 3:52 PM
Renork wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018 2:46 PM
Chaskha wrote:

Catering to everyone is the receipt for disaster, universally. It has nothing to do with my mentality.
I like mini zergs and stealth, I'm not popular or from the 8v8 crowd. Not really a hardcore player either but not a casual (I guess I play 24h/week or so).
DAoC has always been a group oriented game though and that should be the main focus. I have nothing against solo, duo, small man but if boosting their playstyle means impairing any the Groups fights, it shouldn't be pushed IN MY OPINION (let's remember it's just that, an opinion).

Lower buffs would still be a boost but would also keep the classes with buff specs or selfs on top when it comes to grouping.

Now, the worst mentality in a community based, group oriented game where synergy and cooperation inside a realm is crucial, is the SOLO mentality.
It's ok that some people cannot commit to a group because of real life obligation most of the time of the day but if you cannot be in a group, ever, by personal preference then DAoC is not a great choice. Nothing has destroyed the MMO genre more than the introduction of the classes you can level all the way without speaking to anyone.

Now, if you disagree, make a point. I'm fairly ok to be proven wrong and will change my mind in that case but avoid the personal attacks, it's easy and unlikely proving anything more than anger.

I don't have to make a point, you are pretty much glued to the "mahclassic2001 daoc or gtfo" mentality, which is why I mentioned Uthgard is still open and sounds like a fantastic and lovely alternative choice for you. Why come to a server that said from the start that this isn't Uthgard 2.0?

Also, have you actually used the buff pots? They are nowhere near as good as spec/base buffs. Finding a druid/cleric/sham is not always possible, but let me guess, I should roll one of those classes because "its a group game and mah team requires sacrifices, so roll one of those classes and stop whining", right?

2018 and middle aged men still think it's cool to tell others how to play, lol.
Fri 26 Oct 2018 1:58 AM by Ombrix
I just wan’t to laugh to death when i hear : DAoC is not a great solo game, you should play another 😂😂 SURE it’s not fun when YOU go out solo and get down in less than 2 sec 😂 DAoC is not a FPS , it’s not just f8 nuke , but you use it like that xD insane, LOT of people here need to achieve they play totally [edit - Language]. And stop talking like you are good. PLEASE.

50vs2 that never meant that you're good.

Kkthxbye.
Fri 26 Oct 2018 9:45 PM by Jax
Remove buff pots / charges - or allow class self buffs to stack with buff pots / charges.

Or remove the thane / champ / hunter / ranger / other self buffs and give them Speed 5 instead.
Fri 26 Oct 2018 10:54 PM by Ganaka
Jax wrote:
Fri 26 Oct 2018 9:45 PM
Remove buff pots / charges - or allow class self buffs to stack with buff pots / charges.

Or remove the thane / champ / hunter / ranger / other self buffs and give them Speed 5 instead.

This is a great idea.
Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:17 AM by Skorra
Chaskha wrote:
It's ok that some people cannot commit to a group because of real life obligation most of the time of the day but if you cannot be in a group, ever, by personal preference then DAoC is not a great choice.

Wow ... these are extremely communist minds. Either you are looking for a group, or you have no business here! Very strange.
Mon 29 Oct 2018 1:31 PM by Joc
I've run solo most of my DAOC career. Yes it is a solo game. It's also an 8v8, smallman, and zerg game.

It always has been.

Adapt.
Tue 30 Oct 2018 1:52 PM by Chaskha
Skorra wrote:
Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:17 AM
Chaskha wrote:
It's ok that some people cannot commit to a group because of real life obligation most of the time of the day but if you cannot be in a group, ever, by personal preference then DAoC is not a great choice.

Wow ... these are extremely communist minds. Either you are looking for a group, or you have no business here! Very strange.
Ahahah so a game designed to play at full potential having a group of 8 people and someone mentioning it makes him a communist. Thanks man, that was fun

=> I have nothing against solo, duo, small man but if boosting their playstyle means impairing any the Groups fights, it shouldn't be pushed IN MY OPINION.

In communism there is no choice, you make it sound like DAoC is the only game on earth and therefore should be inclusive AF and of course minorities (oppressed) should get away with everything. That's seriously much more communist (if you want that kind of non-sense talk).
Tue 30 Oct 2018 2:25 PM by poisonclover
Take out stealth lore potions and lower timers on buff pots to 5 minutes..= free stealth lore
Wed 19 Dec 2018 10:25 AM by jenskamen
Yeah i would also love to have them with higher timers. just double the material price for double the time. i wouldnt mind. its not about the money it costs over time its more the annoyance of having to repot every 10 minutes
Wed 19 Dec 2018 4:47 PM by Sepplord
jenskamen wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 10:25 AM
Yeah i would also love to have them with higher timers. just double the material price for double the time. i wouldnt mind. its not about the money it costs over time its more the annoyance of having to repot every 10 minutes

The thing is, doubling the time with doubled materialcost would net you more than double efficiency.

Currently if you are roaming as group, you basically need to rebuff when you have around 5minutes left, or else you might get an inc right before the pots expire and be [edit - Language]

Longer timers surely would be convenient, but they would need to come at a higher cost to keep the same economy (and then too long timers suck for people that just want to make one more run etc. but not "waste" a fullround of buffs
Wed 19 Dec 2018 5:18 PM by Dimir
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 4:47 PM
jenskamen wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 10:25 AM

The thing is, doubling the time with doubled materialcost would net you more than double efficiency.

Currently if you are roaming as group, you basically need to rebuff when you have around 5minutes left, or else you might get an inc right before the pots expire and be [edit - Language]

Longer timers surely would be convenient, but they would need to come at a higher cost to keep the same economy (and then too long timers suck for people that just want to make one more run etc. but not "waste" a fullround of buffs

On the flip side, if you buff for 20 min duration and die right away you've spent more money on longer timers that you didn't use. Maybe that balances it out.
Mon 21 Jan 2019 9:04 PM by Zomgasm
I agree with the extension of buff pot timers to 20 minutes. Draught of Heroism on live is 20min, vendor buffs are 60m I think as well?

The extension of time from 10m to 20m will make a tremendous difference in quality of life for people without a buff class readily available. It's not OP buffs like Supremacy for max stats or anything of that nature, it's still the same blue buffs.

Running around the last few nights on combined pots, or spec pots when with healer just felt awful on 10 minute timers. You'd have to pay attention to the timer to hit 9 minutes and rebuff incase you end up brawling with someone and your buffs will drop off mid fight. It just seemed extremely short between fights to constantly repop over and over while roaming, especially if you don't see anything for 5+ minutes.

Draught of Invigoration (endo) is fine, we are all used to the 10m timer from live, but the buffs REALLY should be extended to match Heroism pot timer @ 20m duration.

This would be GREATLY appreciated devs! Thank you for all the hard-work on getting this server going and the amazing quality of life changes that made DAoC feel fresh again, it's been a very nostalgic and refreshing experience to get the DAoC thrill going again with some modernization.

Cheers!
Wed 23 Jan 2019 5:57 PM by Chuba
Glimmer wrote:
97% 14min,
98% 16min,
99% 18min,

Best idea
Thu 24 Jan 2019 2:32 PM by Numatic
Personally I liked the idea that someone posted about making the quality increase the timer. This server is a WIP, so I think we should start a bit smaller. Maybe an extra 5 mins on the max? So a 100% pot would be a 15min buff. If it works they can always look into extending it. I dont believe they should bother with charges atm. Personally I wish they never added charges in the first place. Turns fights into more of a button mashing contest than anything
Thu 24 Jan 2019 2:36 PM by cortexqc
Glimmer wrote:
97% 14min,
98% 16min,
99% 18min,

wow really good idea, giving interrest to craft quality pot. and this way 100% qua be approx equals to self buff
Thu 24 Jan 2019 2:42 PM by Sepplord
i hate the idea of having to check quality on pots too...

But i have another idea that (i think) hasn't been mentioned yet:

Let the timers of Buffpots stack to 20minutes. Aka if you use the pot twice, then you will have 20minute timers. If you reuse the pot when your buffs have 3minutes left, you will have 13minutes timers

The impact on charge-costs-per-minute/economy would be very small but it would help with the problem of running out of buffs mid-fight when you have long fights.

As regen pots are instantly usable, i don't think a change for them is as important, but it would be convenient with those too
Fri 25 Jan 2019 3:19 PM by Bradekes
Instead of buff pots just put buff spell on bind stone so everyone has access to the buffs at all times and make duration 20minutes. Why add arbitrary item maintenance, embrace your buff system Phoenix!
Sat 26 Jan 2019 11:19 PM by Quik
At this point just remove all buff classes/pots/charges and give everyone in the game a 80 pt boost to every stat?

Basically people want buffs to be easy and cheap and convenient for everyone to have and not just those classes that were meant to have, so removing all buff classes/items/pots and giving everyone in the game a natural boost equal to the best buff seems like a simple solution.

I figure it would take less than a week for people to start asking for buff pots again though because they weren't able to compete with equal buffs now...
Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:58 PM by j.camp633
Quik wrote:
Sat 26 Jan 2019 11:19 PM
At this point just remove all buff classes/pots/charges and give everyone in the game a 80 pt boost to every stat?

Basically people want buffs to be easy and cheap and convenient for everyone to have and not just those classes that were meant to have, so removing all buff classes/items/pots and giving everyone in the game a natural boost equal to the best buff seems like a simple solution.

I figure it would take less than a week for people to start asking for buff pots again though because they weren't able to compete with equal buffs now...

Well we all know what kind of class you play...🙄
Fri 1 Feb 2019 6:08 PM by Quik
j.camp633 wrote:
Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:58 PM
Quik wrote:
Sat 26 Jan 2019 11:19 PM

Well we all know what kind of class you play...🙄

Well I don't make any effort to hide my toons...in fact I make it as easy as possible for people to identify with me.

My favorite toons are my Bard > Animist > VW although right now I am playing my Druid a lot for feathers, although my Ani has my most /played so I can farm xp items for my other toons.
Sat 2 Feb 2019 1:31 PM by Madfrog
magicbuns wrote:
Fri 19 Oct 2018 8:24 AM
Glimmer wrote:
97% 14min,
98% 16min,
99% 18min,

This....is actually a pretty good idea.

Awesome! I also like the stacking of potions, but make 2x10 min potions into 15m not 20m. Stacking with diminishing returns, so you pay for the comfort.
Sat 2 Feb 2019 1:35 PM by Glimmer
Can we have any Staff statement about this suggestion? Are they any discussion internally about pots and charges Qols ? Please let us know
Sat 2 Feb 2019 2:44 PM by Dragonn
20 min duration pls.
Sun 3 Feb 2019 12:43 AM by kskovbo
I would suggest 20 min as well. The 10 min is just that wee bit too short, so it just becomes annoying.
Sun 3 Feb 2019 6:41 AM by Emeryc
Or....
just remove buff pots entirely.

People who group with a buffing class enjoy the benefit of buffs, people who don't group with a buffing class don't get those benefits.
Buffing classes are encouraged to spec highly into buff lines, thereby sacrificing other abilities.
Self buffs are no longer obsolete.
Assassins aren't running around like light tanks.
Everyone isn't constantly scrapping to purchase buffpots.
End song will be a thing again. Endurance intensive styles will be far less attractive when you don't have end regen.
The game play will necessarily be more diversified as more decisions must be made on how to play!

Or just give everyone permanent buffs. I just think it's kinda silly to force everyone to farm coin, level an Alchemist and spend time on this hamster-wheel to keep buffpots up when all that time could be spent in RvR.

Just my 2cp.
Sun 3 Feb 2019 7:18 AM by Uthred
There are no plans on changing timers, adding buff npcs or whatever when it comes to buffs. We stated a thousand times, that we think it is good as it is now. Believe it or not, we had a long discussion in the team before we implemented buffs & co like we did and we still thing it is the best solution for everyone. It fits our vision of the server the most.

We are aware of the fact that we cant please everyone but we have no intentions to change the current implementation.
Sun 3 Feb 2019 5:05 PM by Quik
Uthred wrote:
Sun 3 Feb 2019 7:18 AM
There are no plans on changing timers, adding buff npcs or whatever when it comes to buffs. We stated a thousand times, that we think it is good as it is now. Believe it or not, we had a long discussion in the team before we implemented buffs & co like we did and we still thing it is the best solution for everyone. It fits our vision of the server the most.

We are aware of the fact that we cant please everyone but we have no intentions to change the current implementation.

Thank you dev's!!!!
Tue 5 Feb 2019 2:49 AM by Frieza
Agree with Uthred, increasing timers means less farming, in turn less pve and less new 50's hitting the market (as farmers often PL lowbies). You need a healthy mix to keep the population up.

Yes its annoying having to craft more, but it helps the whole server, and i prefer than over having to hold some additional pots.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 2:55 AM by defiasbandit
Frieza wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 2:49 AM
Agree with Uthred, increasing timers means less farming, in turn less pve and less new 50's hitting the market (as farmers often PL lowbies). You need a healthy mix to keep the population up.

Yes its annoying having to craft more, but it helps the whole server, and i prefer than over having to hold some additional pots.

Increase the timers. Increase the costs. problem solved. The server is nothing like DAOC was in 2001, yet the Phoenix team refuses to let go of the notalgic group reliant RvR mechanics that Mythic poorly designed almost 20 years ago.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:07 AM by Quik
defiasbandit wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 2:55 AM
Frieza wrote:

Increase the timers. Increase the costs. problem solved. The server is nothing like DAOC was in 2001, yet the Phoenix team refuses to let go of the notalgic group reliant RvR mechanics that Mythic poorly designed almost 20 years ago.

Or...the staff agrees with a lot of us that this would ruin the game.

Just because you want the increase does not mean everyone does.

Personally Pheonix has done such an incredible job with the server so far I will bow to their wisdom on this.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:27 AM by defiasbandit
Quik wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:07 AM
defiasbandit wrote:
Frieza wrote:

Personally Pheonix has done such an incredible job with the server so far I will bow to their wisdom on this.

Yea it would ruin the game if some more classes didn't have to run in slow motion through the frontiers. It would ruin the game if all casters got speed instead of just a few. Sprinting in slowmotion in an MMO in 2019. Oh ok.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:32 AM by Quik
defiasbandit wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:27 AM
Quik wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:07 AM
defiasbandit wrote:

Yea it would ruin the game if some more classes didn't have to run in slow motion through the frontiers. It would ruin the game if all casters got speed instead of just a few. Sprinting in slowmotion in an MMO in 2019. Oh ok.

Easy...get a speed class to help you out or play a class with speed =)

Would rather need to do that then simply have 1 class that has everything...I don't want Fortnite, I want DAoC.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:55 AM by defiasbandit
Quik wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:32 AM
Easy...get a speed class to help you out or play a class with speed =)

Would rather need to do that then simply have 1 class that has everything...I don't want Fortnite, I want DAoC.

Brilliant design. Require players to group with or play 3 of 13 classes in order to RvR. You are missing one of the few speed classes out of 13 therefore you need to run in slow motion. Then you make the comment that you don't want 1 class with everything. Sorcerer have everything including speed. CC, burst damage, dots, run speed, pets, interrupts, etc.. nice argument. Yeah it would break the game if more classes had 154% speed or potions they had to buy. Right.

Why do you think we have these buff potions on the server? Because playing without a buffing class would not be viable. That is because the game design was flawed.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 7:02 PM by Moid
Increase to 20 minutes or possibly 30 minutes.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 11:54 PM by semadin
Since the buff pot timers bring to question self casted buffs...
I've always though self casted buffs should never expire. What's the real point of the timer? If the class is balanced around those self casted buffs, then they are only operating properly on a timer, which seems pretty silly.
I suppose you'd give up the random chance that you jump someone when their buffs are down, but that seems like a cheap way to win anyhow (and a terrible way to lose).
Tue 5 Mar 2019 10:17 AM by nerex
Pots timer should be increased, as suggested many times, to 20 or 30 mins. At least 20 minuties like self buffs. It's also a pain to have to use low lv pots one by one, everytime, and not be able to just use them altogether. Also, it makes you give your position, many times as a stealther in Thid, for those who are using them.
Tue 5 Mar 2019 3:33 PM by cuuchulain79
Uthred wrote:
Sun 3 Feb 2019 7:18 AM
There are no plans on changing timers, adding buff npcs or whatever when it comes to buffs. We stated a thousand times, that we think it is good as it is now. Believe it or not, we had a long discussion in the team before we implemented buffs & co like we did and we still think it is the best solution for everyone. It fits our vision of the server the most.

If internal talks are made up of similar points of view as forum posters...I understand it's difficult to keep everybody happy.

I feel as though some people want milk, some want orange juice, and the easiest solution is to combine the two, and never mind the bad taste that nobody wanted. What I'm talking about is using a certain amount of player misery to keep all sides happy. Yes running fully buffed is possible for every class...but it adds a tremendous amount of headache. If simply saying, "no buffs for me today" was an option...that'd be great...but nobody today in a competitive pvp MMO is going to forfeit any possible advantage.

Yes, 10 minute buffs are a middle of the road solution...but who is happy? The folks who don't want non-buffing classes to get buffs? They still have to fight against fully buffed players...their only consolation is knowing the cumbersome process their opponent has to go through. Are the people that want NPC buffs happy? Not really...they want to just play the game...instead they know it takes running pots/charges to "keep-up-with-the-Jones" so they do it...and just build up resentment at not being able to play the game for longer than 3 minutes before it's time to rebuff something.

I think this server would really benefit if heads were put together in a sort of "what to do about buffs cage-match" and nobody gets to come out until a solution that doesn't use inconvenience as a bargaining chip, is achieved.

FWIW, I would be thrilled to see a setting w/o stat buffs potions & charges at all...one camp is happy because class balance is fully preserved...and the camp that wants longer duration/NPC buffs is happy too...because they no longer need to deal with it all. We could all get back to playing Camelot.
Wed 6 Mar 2019 5:53 AM by Iuppiter
Since you can buy pots that give the benefits of a specced skill of buffer classes (on a server without buffbots - let's not forget the reason these pots are required on live), I'm waiting on my "qol" stealth, block, and parry pots (at below fully specced levels ofc) plz+ty
Thu 7 Mar 2019 1:20 PM by Blitze
Buffpots in general cause damage to self buffing (hybrids) classes and these classes are currently the lowest performing subset of Phoenix.

Increasing the timer (and further nerfing these classes) is not sensible, however, as these classes are underplayed then they are perhaps not loud enough to argue their corner.

With no-buffpots then no-one has to worry about rebuffing after 10 mins either... and selfbuffers may start to perform a little better.
Thu 7 Mar 2019 5:51 PM by FFpheonix
Remove buff pots of all types and make game balance changes that make the game better/funner to play.

Giving everyone access to buff pots, or adding longer timers or more buff types doesn't solve problems it introduces more.
Fri 8 Mar 2019 2:13 AM by scortyl
maybe 15 min can be a sweet spot in my opinion
Sun 10 Mar 2019 3:19 PM by Aidereh
20 minute buff potions would be great
no increased cost to make
Thu 14 Mar 2019 1:30 PM by Deathmachine
FFpheonix wrote:
Thu 7 Mar 2019 5:51 PM
Remove buff pots of all types and make game balance changes that make the game better/funner to play.

Giving everyone access to buff pots, or adding longer timers or more buff types doesn't solve problems it introduces more.

If you remove buff pots you are going to remove solo/small man fights from the game. as doing less dammage the solo fights would take so much longer to finish and iam sure 90% of the time you will get rolled by a FG/zerg during this fight even more then already happens.

I would vote to make them 15-20mins. double their cost if needed.

or just leave them alone.
Thu 14 Mar 2019 7:23 PM by Dex
I definitely see both sides of this debate, and how pursuing one path or the other is an overall improvement on the current state. Let's explore each.

Keeping buff pots - I think it's important to remember that buff pots were introduced in an age where most people playing competitively on a smaller scale or as stealthers utilized a buff bot. They only marginally closed the gap and greater numbers or group composition would have to make up the rest. Now, everyone is on more even footing, but between buff pots and charges, they're just mandatory, they're ubiquitous, and they're tedious. If they are to remain, I see no reason not to drastically increase their duration, possibly to the point of making them effectively permanent. I don't think managing buffs, especially a contingent of charge buffs, adds anything to the game.

The perhaps unintended consequence of buffs for every class though is that the value returned for the opportunity cost charged to classes that have buffs as a part of their kit is far diminished. I'm not sure if this introduced imbalance was ever fully addressed. Perhaps it should be in some way. The upside to this state of the game is that we can see a greater variety of class combinations participating effectively in combat - but again, was this balance ever actually addressed? Are we trading the necessity of a buffing class, for the necessity of other classes that bring far greater utility without the need for that buffing class? Are we just trading one homogenization of compositions for another?

Completely removing buff pots/charges - Again, they are ubiquitous presently. Those who have not caught up and fully optimized their odds of victory soon will, whether they like it or not, because I'm pretty confident that no one likes getting stomped repeatedly. This reinstates considerable value to buffing classes. Again, a balance issue may emerge, I'd say particularly among stealthers and people who like to solo to small-man - these groups would likely need to introduce a buffing class to remain competitive. Is that a bad thing? It's definitely different than what we're used to, but it's closest to how the game was originally designed and played. I'm not personally to stuck on adhering to some 20 year old vision of the game though - moreso interested in seeing this be the most engaging and fun game possible today.

In either case, I believe the game can be improved and class balance needs to be addressed with the huge impact of buffs in mind.
Thu 14 Mar 2019 9:37 PM by krumr
Dex wrote:
Thu 14 Mar 2019 7:23 PM
I definitely see both sides of this debate, and how pursuing one path or the other is an overall improvement on the current state. Let's explore each.

Keeping buff pots - I think it's important to remember that buff pots were introduced in an age where most people playing competitively on a smaller scale or as stealthers utilized a buff bot. They only marginally closed the gap and greater numbers or group composition would have to make up the rest. Now, everyone is on more even footing, but between buff pots and charges, they're just mandatory, they're ubiquitous, and they're tedious. If they are to remain, I see no reason not to drastically increase their duration, possibly to the point of making them effectively permanent. I don't think managing buffs, especially a contingent of charge buffs, adds anything to the game.

The perhaps unintended consequence of buffs for every class though is that the value returned for the opportunity cost charged to classes that have buffs as a part of their kit is far diminished. I'm not sure if this introduced imbalance was ever fully addressed. Perhaps it should be in some way. The upside to this state of the game is that we can see a greater variety of class combinations participating effectively in combat - but again, was this balance ever actually addressed? Are we trading the necessity of a buffing class, for the necessity of other classes that bring far greater utility without the need for that buffing class? Are we just trading one homogenization of compositions for another?

Completely removing buff pots/charges - Again, they are ubiquitous presently. Those who have not caught up and fully optimized their odds of victory soon will, whether they like it or not, because I'm pretty confident that no one likes getting stomped repeatedly. This reinstates considerable value to buffing classes. Again, a balance issue may emerge, I'd say particularly among stealthers and people who like to solo to small-man - these groups would likely need to introduce a buffing class to remain competitive. Is that a bad thing? It's definitely different than what we're used to, but it's closest to how the game was originally designed and played. I'm not personally to stuck on adhering to some 20 year old vision of the game though - moreso interested in seeing this be the most engaging and fun game possible today.

In either case, I believe the game can be improved and class balance needs to be addressed with the huge impact of buffs in mind.

Some weeks ago, on another post, based on the same exact premises of yours, and assuming these buffs are here to stay, I also suggested to consider a different kind of approach to the buffing system, one based on NPCs, like realm buffers, with unlimited duration buffs paid with a specific currency, crafted by alchemists and the cost of which could be set accordingly to maintain the current gold per "life" cost of potions and charges, with spec buffs added to the NPC (once and for all) by turning in the relative items (this way even the market for those items could still be relevant).

But, all in all, even the current system with the 10 minutes duration could work, as long as the it got some deserved polish: on one hand, all the best potion buffs available should be given by one single combined potion, and, on the other hand, there should be a way to consolidate all the different charge items into one.
This alone would remove the need to track all the different timers to refresh the right buff at the right time: every 10 minutes you would only need to use your combined potion and your "combined" charge item and you would be set for the next 10 minutes.

I realize that, being just a matter of qol, it may no be top priority, but I hope that someday these issues will be looked into and fixed.
Thu 14 Mar 2019 10:01 PM by Victos
krumr wrote:
Thu 14 Mar 2019 9:37 PM
Dex wrote:
Thu 14 Mar 2019 7:23 PM

Some weeks ago, on another post, based on the same exact premises of yours, and assuming these buffs are here to stay, I also suggested to consider a different kind of approach to the buffing system, one based on NPCs, like realm buffers, with unlimited duration buffs paid with a specific currency, crafted by alchemists and the cost of which could be set accordingly to maintain the current gold per "life" cost of potions and charges, with spec buffs added to the NPC (once and for all) by turning in the relative items (this way even the market for those items could still be relevant).

But, all in all, even the current system with the 10 minutes duration could work, as long as the it got some deserved polish: on one hand, all the best potion buffs available should be given by one single combined potion, and, on the other hand, there should be a way to consolidate all the different charge items into one.
This alone would remove the need to track all the different timers to refresh the right buff at the right time: every 10 minutes you would only need to use your combined potion and your "combined" charge item and you would be set for the next 10 minutes.

I realize that, being just a matter of qol, it may no be top priority, but I hope that someday these issues will be looked into and fixed.

At that point you might aswell turn buffs of potion/charge value into a passive scaling with levels (hiho vamp), let alchis provide regens(at increased cost/value) and increase the cost per death as a goldsink. Buffing a class simply disables the passive of the same category to prevent stacking and there we go, no more rebuffs besides regens. If everyone is rebuffing every 10 minutes anyways, might aswell just hand that crap out, end the unnecessary micromanagement and get value/goldsink somewhere else.
Thu 14 Mar 2019 11:27 PM by Dex
Victos wrote:
Thu 14 Mar 2019 10:01 PM
At that point you might aswell turn buffs of potion/charge value into a passive scaling with levels (hiho vamp), let alchis provide regens(at increased cost/value) and increase the cost per death as a goldsink. Buffing a class simply disables the passive of the same category to prevent stacking and there we go, no more rebuffs besides regens. If everyone is rebuffing every 10 minutes anyways, might aswell just hand that crap out, end the unnecessary micromanagement and get value/goldsink somewhere else.

That would be the logical progression, yes. I deliberately left that out for sake of brevity and to see if anyone would come to a similar conclusion. When everyone is buffed, effectively, no one is buffed. It's just a ritual we're all doing because we have to. Or do we want to?

The status quo if not already, will soon be exactly as you propose, just with this rote activity involved as a barrier to entry. And so, buffing classes are only potentially offering the difference between their buffs and the pot/charge buffs, and self buffing classes have to wonder how justified investing in those spec lines even is. Moreover, you're actually at a competitive disadvantage by using buffs from another player who might die and leave you crippled, assuming equal values anyways.
Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:06 AM by krumr
Victos wrote:
Thu 14 Mar 2019 10:01 PM

Anything to simplify the current system, even removing potions and charges buffs entirely, sounds perfect for me: the self buffing system, in its current state, is so cumbersome its not even coherent with all the great qol fixes already implemented on the server.

As I said, I know it's not a top priority, after all devs have limited energies and time on their hands, but I wish they would take a stance on the matter, since it's not the first time it arises, and explain if/why things are going to be changed or not.
Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:23 AM by Victos
I think the whole buff system of DAoC is completely wrong. Buffs should've never provided so many stats to begin with.

Playing a class in any other MMO feels like playing the class, buffing it then feels like the same class a little bit better.

In DAoC playing an unbuffered class feels like slow motion garbage, playing a caster unbuffed is absolutely horrible. Playing the same classes buffed doesn't just make them somewhat stronger, it changes the whole feel of the classes.

No way in hell should a system be implemented where gear provides not even half of the stats buffs provide. Who ever thought capping gear at 75 but throwing buffs of value 155 around would NOT lead to issues clearly smoked the wrong stuff. (Hey let's give buffs twice the value of gear AND make them concentration based AND put all of them on a single class! No way in hell would anyone think of making a bot out of this!)

But now we have to deal with it (or do we?), playing completely unbuffed is horrible, playing fully buffed is nice but decreases the value of hybrids.

I would advocate for a complete overhaul (but more stats into the characters themselves rather than buffs and provide buff classes with alternatives) but that might be too much of a change.

That's why I would rather see NPC buffbots with some currency OR keep the current system but with longer duration.

Because juggling pots/charges is cumbersome and so is running unbuffed and as I like my fair share of soloing I would rather not run unbuffed. Simply because playing unbuffed feels like slow motion gameplay.
Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:42 AM by waffel
The post above lays it out very nicely.

That being said, how about buffpot duration being based on realm rank?

20 min @ RR5?
Or
2 extra min per realm rank?
Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:49 AM by Riac
waffel wrote:
Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:42 AM
The post above lays it out very nicely.

That being said, how about buffpot duration being based on realm rank?

20 min @ RR5?
Or
2 extra min per realm rank?

i really like that idea

or an extension to the charge duration would be nice. since it doesnt require an alch to do it, its sort of like a victimless buff. i doubt the recharge npc will complain :p
Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:15 AM by Woodspryte
Just add a +Effect Duration bonus on to the Mastery of the Arcane buff. Gives players the option to make their buffs stronger/longer by speccing into it.
Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:08 PM by Yokahu
Woodspryte wrote:
Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:15 AM
Just add a +Effect Duration bonus on to the Mastery of the Arcane buff. Gives players the option to make their buffs stronger/longer by speccing into it.

Longer, good idea; stronger, not so good.
The self-buffing classes will be in an even bigger disadvantage if you keep giving buffs to classes that were originally balanced without buffs.
Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:50 PM by Sido
Victos wrote:
Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:23 AM
I think the whole buff system of DAoC is completely wrong. Buffs should've never provided so many stats to begin with.

Playing a class in any other MMO feels like playing the class, buffing it then feels like the same class a little bit better.

In DAoC playing an unbuffered class feels like slow motion garbage, playing a caster unbuffed is absolutely horrible. Playing the same classes buffed doesn't just make them somewhat stronger, it changes the whole feel of the classes.

No way in hell should a system be implemented where gear provides not even half of the stats buffs provide. Who ever thought capping gear at 75 but throwing buffs of value 155 around would NOT lead to issues clearly smoked the wrong stuff. (Hey let's give buffs twice the value of gear AND make them concentration based AND put all of them on a single class! No way in hell would anyone think of making a bot out of this!)

I personaly love this particular game design, because you have to rely on others to get stronger on your toon, and roles are clearly separated between classes & spec. There are already sooo many Massively Soloplayer Online rpg out there where interactions between toons of a same side are at best optional and where death+rez combination has no important drawback.
Tue 19 Mar 2019 4:41 PM by Victos
Sido wrote:
Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:50 PM
Victos wrote:
Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:23 AM

I personaly love this particular game design, because you have to rely on others to get stronger on your toon, and roles are clearly separated between classes & spec. There are already sooo many Massively Soloplayer Online rpg out there where interactions between toons of a same side are at best optional and where death+rez combination has no important drawback.

Well the thought process of "hey make them rely on eachother" might be good, but the execution is highly flawed. The buffs, if one decides to make them that strong, shouldn't be placed on a single class (which basically only force everyone to play with said class, not together with others. Monopoly - bad) and shouldn't be uncapped range + conc based. The last point is the reason they implemented a range cap though, so that one is fixed.

But I think forcing specific group setups by design isn't necessarily the best way to balance stuff or make it entertaining - especially when these groups don't contain all classes or aren't even efficient with some of them. Just look at PvE, no one needs a BM/Zerk/Merc, just bomb the shit out of every spot you find.

If you want to make a game not "soloplay" but force them to group, then just implement buffs that only work on - others - rather than self buffs.

Imagine a friar, he has a D/Q buff - for himself - which provides nothing in a group setting besides free conc. A simple, yet not necessarily optimal, solution would be to give friars D/Q and remove it from clerics. Now if a group doesn't want to run full charges they have to invite a friar instead of laughing at him because he's basically useless.
Wed 20 Mar 2019 12:49 AM by waffel
Yokahu wrote:
Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:08 PM
Woodspryte wrote:
Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:15 AM

Longer, good idea; stronger, not so good.
The self-buffing classes will be in an even bigger disadvantage if you keep giving buffs to classes that were originally balanced without buffs.

I mean it’s a bad idea, but self buffing classes can spec in mastery of the arcane too, so it’s a moot point. I used to respec my ranger at a trainer to all mastery of the arcane + full pathfinding and buff up, then respec to a normal spec to level up. Was nice having superbuffs for 25 min.
Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:21 AM by dante`afk
Man we should be glad there are buff pot timers. GMs essentially gave us another minigame within the game. Rotate buffs, time them, make sure to be on point with using the next buff. All within a 10 minute timewindow. Oh the thrill!

It's amazing.
Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:59 PM by Sevorin
I vote to remove buff pots all together. IMO its no different than buff botting.
Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:57 AM by Tillbeast
They need to give the classes with self buffs in there specialities potions/elixirs to imitate skill lines off rival classes. For example hunters and rangers get a potion with a slam effect and blocking bonuses. Not right that some classes get effectively free skill points. Not singling scouts, just using them as an example but having buffs both normal and specialty buffs giving the scout better buffs than what you get from in beastcraft and pathfinding is wrong. There are plenty of other classes who self buffs. If your not a class that buffs with self buffs the simple option is group with a buff class like a shaman or cleric etc.
Wed 27 Mar 2019 9:49 AM by Dindelion
I don't understand the idea of the current buff pots. Either you get good buffs or none, It's weird juggling every 10min for average buffs : you need them to compete against someone using them, it nerfs self-buff classes, but it's still an average bonus to apply every 10minutes, tedious. Also, why not giving a speed of the realm pot ? It's the same logic with buffs tbh, I'd argue speed is more important and would make more sense than buffs because moving without speed is actually hell.

Imo, I'd say get rid of them completely in RvR, let them usable in PvE (with an easier / cheaper recipe ?) so all classes can still level up nicely. But if you keep them, why not putting a speed pot too, and better duration ?
Thu 28 Mar 2019 4:53 PM by Sharky04
remove all buff pots except endu for speed 6.
Thu 28 Mar 2019 5:34 PM by chryso
Perma speed 6 should not be a thing. Remove that one also.
Fri 29 Mar 2019 12:37 AM by Sharky04
Perma speed 6 will be also there without pots, but group setup will be much more difficult. Would make the game way worse.
Wed 10 Apr 2019 3:10 AM by lolhisup
Also, removing recast timer for potions of same kind would be cool too, or maybe make it one second instead of five.
Wed 10 Apr 2019 1:43 PM by Rewin
adding new potions: half stat value, double timer~o~
Wed 10 Apr 2019 1:59 PM by Sepplord
Rewin wrote:
Wed 10 Apr 2019 1:43 PM
adding new potions: half stat value, double timer~o~

we have something similar to that

no buffs on infinite timer
Wed 10 Apr 2019 5:12 PM by Mauriac
All for 20 minute buff pots and charges. Also would like to see non offensive charges off the global cool down. Or at least on 1 minute. Two is excessive. Leave offensive on 2 minutes
Mon 15 Apr 2019 6:43 PM by Jaxx
Sevorin wrote:
Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:59 PM
I vote to remove buff pots all together. IMO its no different than buff botting.
Yes im agree.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:43 PM by Yokahu
Adding a buff NPC will have less of a backlash since players could have already spend a lot of money buying and crafting pots. I’m fine either way anyway.

In my opinion this QOL is needed... I believe many players are logging less and less because of the hassle of keeping up with the current pots/charges timer and having to farm just to support their RvR which is the core of DAoC. At least farming is like a chore to me, and eats a lot of my playing time. Not sure for how long I can keep this up. I’ve been logging less and less myself because of this.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:11 PM by Numatic
Either way having to juggle buffs is annoying. Really the only people who use them are solo ,duo and some smallman. Gruen had openly said they know juggling hurts soloers the most but at the same time they are the only ones who really use them (unless a grp has ooc issues and they use them to fill out). They either need to increase the timer (which will have the least impact imo) or remove buff pots altogether. Face it as a solo/duo having a full grp roll you isnt going to matter if you are buffed or unbuffed.

Also I believe buff charges should be limited to 1 at a time. This is just my opinion.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:15 AM by Dominus
FYI, after 10 pages of this thread, no GM has responded... there will be NO extension to buff pot timers... period... full stop... end of story... lock this effing thread. kkthx.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:23 AM by Quik
Dominus wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:15 AM
FYI, after 10 pages of this thread, no GM has responded... there will be NO extension to buff pot timers... period... full stop... end of story... lock this effing thread. kkthx.

There SHOULDN'T be an extension to buff pot timers...period...full stop...end of story...lock this effing thread. kkthx.
Tue 23 Apr 2019 5:36 AM by Tarticus74
Timers for pots need sorting and extending.

I have to play and farm cash just to have enough money to buy pots to be competitive in RvR so yes extend the buff duration.

Or just put in buff NPCs will effect the buff pot Market but I'm sure people can live with that.

Another good proposition was to extend the buff duration as per the quality of the pot. That sounded very interesting.
Mon 29 Apr 2019 6:00 PM by Rulamas
I vote for extending the times to 20 minutes. I have an alchemist toon and 10 minutes is just too short. I am constantly making buff pots and having to drag lots around with me . It's a water of time and energy.
Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:19 PM by jackatom74
Timers should be increased to 20 min
Thu 9 May 2019 1:26 PM by Apfelisina
jackatom74 wrote:
Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:19 PM
Timers should be increased to 20 min

agree
Fri 10 May 2019 5:36 AM by Moid
Buff pots should be removed from the game.
Fri 10 May 2019 8:27 PM by The Skies Asunder
Moid wrote:
Fri 10 May 2019 5:36 AM
Buff pots should be removed from the game.

I am not necessarily against removing pots all together, but I have to say that the game is *incredibly* slow without buffs. The casting speeds, and attack speeds are a joke without buffs. I would prefer just giving everyone access to full buffs, IE: Bots, or merchants, as removing them will make the gap between 8 mans and smallman/solo even higher. Buffs have always been a pretty dreadful design in this game unfortunately, and you basically have to have them to compete at all.
Wed 22 May 2019 9:28 AM by lbrillault
I agree 10 mn is a joke.. Maybe 15 mn is a good compromise.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Open Community Votes or the latest topics