Updated Stream Delay Poll

Started 12 Jul 2018
by Mura
in Open Community Votes
Original post by Enrighteous
Hello please give your input on any changes you would like to see (if any) regarding the currently instated 10 minute stream delay.

https://www.strawpoll.me/16211723

Once again please leave your input in the comments for further clarification on why you choose your answer.

It absolutely should require a delay to prevent sniping and spying.
Thu 12 Jul 2018 2:58 PM by Shadanwolf
What is the rationale for a delay? It's purpose ? Reasons to have or not have one ?
Sat 14 Jul 2018 7:43 PM by Budikah
Shadanwolf wrote:
Thu 12 Jul 2018 2:58 PM
What is the rationale for a delay? It's purpose ? Reasons to have or not have one ?

With no delay you are essentially a spy portal for whoever watches your stream. They'll see your location as well as anything you see on your screen. It's a free visual crossrealm feed.

Streaming rules should be considered, although some seem excessive even to me.

- cover the chat so that your realm chat is not being publicly broadcast.

- cover the kill feed as this can also act as a broadcast

- if you are in a BG, perhaps ask the leader

- don't broadcast voice comms without permission from the group

I had a few instances where BG members were streaming with little delay or no delay which made moving the BG with any sort of stealth pretty much impossible.

It comes down to what you are streaming too. Some groups do it to attract fights and they don't care if you know where they are/what's coming over comms. Others do.

In a nutshell, streaming turns into an x-realm snipping tool depending on how it's used.
Sat 4 Aug 2018 10:55 PM by JORAAL
I agree for a delay but I’m my opinion 10 is a bit too much it should be 5 minutes which is ok
Sat 4 Aug 2018 11:22 PM by Zansobar
There definitely should be a delay and I see no reason why it shouldn't be a lengthy one. The audience watching the stream should not be playing the game (at that time) so whether it is a 30 min or 1 hour delay it shouldn't matter to them, they are just watching in game video.
Sat 4 Aug 2018 11:41 PM by Quik
I say 30 minutes minimum
Sun 5 Aug 2018 12:04 AM by Enrighteous
Hello please give your input on any changes you would like to see (if any) regarding the currently instated 10 minute stream delay.

https://www.strawpoll.me/16211723

Once again please leave your input in the comments for further clarification on why you choose your answer.
Sat 11 Aug 2018 4:28 AM by JaggedOne
Why does everyone ignore the fact that Discord exists ? All people have to do is get in a private Discord server (by private I mean non-Phoenix) and they can pass information back and forth between realms on a real-time basis. It doesn't make any difference whether you set a timer for 10 minutes or an hour. I don't understand why people don't get this and stop talking about stream timers and realm-switch timers....

EDIT: I'm not advocating doing this, and would not do it myself because it violates my personal ethics. I am just pointing out what should be obvious to anyone who gives this subject 30 seconds of thought.
Tue 16 Oct 2018 10:22 AM by Sepplord
the huge difference there is: to excahnge that information you need people from the other side cooperating with you...not just a streamer trying to get views
Fri 19 Oct 2018 7:11 AM by magicbuns
Do you want a healthy server or a ghost town? A small delay should be SUGGESTED, obviously chat boxes should be covered. Countless people have came back to DAOC via twitch streams, videos, ect. And these media sources have actually attracted NEW PLAYERS.

Streaming is healthy for the server, those actually benefiting from "stream sniping" are generally low-skilled, toxic, and have little to no impact on the actual outcome of 8v8's, smallmans, or any combat associated with the FZ.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 1:51 PM by Kaosfury
I stream the server Daily 4 hours, anything less than a 10-minute delay you're asking for trouble, this game is extremely competitive there are people that specifically log into my stream to snipe, even though we don't do aggressive eight-man or anything like that, they know I'm out and about and simply seen somebody that gets clicked in my stream gives away their location.

Anybody who feels like it should be less doesn't understand Dark Age of Camelot and doesn't understand the repercussions and that knowledge is power in this game

My 2 cents... see you in game
Sun 27 Jan 2019 10:35 PM by Papa Banter
I stream on a daily basis and am an old school long time player of DAOC ...as a streamer i deal with stream sniping in any competitive game played and actually welcome the attention, in DAOC if we are sniped it basically just brings the fight to me...again i welcome this....as far as the realm...8 mans are wandering looking for a fight, view on the stream would have no effect upon them due to the speed in which they travel...the zerg is doing the rvr tasks and everyone knows where that is again my stream will have no real effect upon them...if there is a keep take or relic raid going on, everyone is notified via battle chat, again my stream has no real effect upon that...at any time anyone can view my stream and know exactly what i am doing so if we were to be cooperating or cross realming in anyway it would be known by all and recorded and then punishment would be fair...honestly there are many ways to communicate out of game for the "cheaters" and as a streamer that would not be the reputation that would help my business grow....

Business...that brings me to the REAL reason that no delay is absolutely the correct answer....As a streamer we are providing an entertainment platform in which the community can interact and enjoy "the show", being interactive with chat is essential to the success of any streamer. A delay would make it impossible for the steamer to be interactive and would impact the quality of stream. As this is a business no streamer would continue to stream this awesome game.

As a stream we give the community a safe place to hang out, ask questions, and enjoy DAOC content. We advertise the game and give people that have never played DAOC before a place to check it out. We provide a link to Phoenix download page, speak exceptionally about the game, the quality of life changes, and the developers. (Free Advertisement) We have assisted in the growth of the server and want to continue to support this great game and with no delay we could attract lager streamers which could bring even larger numbers. In today's game world streaming is an integral aspect of growing and sustaining any game platform . Marketing is good for growth and growth is good for all....I personally want to play DAOC for as long as population makes it fun...

Please all....vote for no delay then come banter with the family....

Tnx...Papa Banter
twitchtv.com/familybanter
Thu 31 Jan 2019 6:44 PM by wyan69
I think it should be up to the streamers discretion, ive streamed Live server with 0 delay and had no issues in RvR, it actually found us some fights, other than the Zerg leader not liking the no delay, everything was fine. Ive had so many people come back to daoc by watching my stream.
Mon 4 Feb 2019 10:05 AM by Sepplord
wyan69 wrote:
Thu 31 Jan 2019 6:44 PM
I think it should be up to the streamers discretion, ive streamed Live server with 0 delay and had no issues in RvR, it actually found us some fights, other than the Zerg leader not liking the no delay, everything was fine. Ive had so many people come back to daoc by watching my stream.

Other than some players around me not liking me streaming their position/strategy and plans to the enemies, i personally never had a problem

*facepalm*
Mon 4 Feb 2019 8:20 PM by Quik
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 10:05 AM
wyan69 wrote:

Other than some players around me not liking me streaming their position/strategy and plans to the enemies, i personally never had a problem

*facepalm*

LOL

Up to the streamers discretion...

No officer, I was using my own discretion and I thought 120 was safe in a school zone...
Sat 9 Feb 2019 6:00 PM by MisterCotton
Quik wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 8:20 PM
Sepplord wrote:
wyan69 wrote:

*facepalm*

LOL

No officer, I was using my own discretion and I thought 120 was safe in a school zone...

No... its more like not having ADT home security... not a crime.
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:08 PM by warden50
Quik wrote:
Sepplord wrote:
wyan69 wrote:

*facepalm*

LOL

That is the most retarded thing I read today... and I read a LOT of retarded shit.

If you realy want to play that card this is what you should have said :

You are in a car, so you should respect the road code = You are on twitch, you have to respec Twitch terms of services
You are on Twitch and a private DaoC server requests you add a delay on your stream = You are in your car and the radio station you are listening to requests you dont go faster than 10 miles per hour on the highway

Does that seem right to you ?
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:50 PM by Sepplord
warden50 wrote:
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:08 PM
Quik wrote:
Sepplord wrote:

*facepalm*

LOL

That is the most retarded thing I read today... and I read a LOT of retarded shit.

You are in a car, so you should respect the road code = You are on twitch, you have to respec Twitch terms of services
You are on Twitch and a private DaoC server requests you add a delay on your stream = You are in your car and the radio station you are listening to requests you dont go faster than 10 miles per hour on the highway

I agree that his analogy is not very good, but yours is completly misleading.

The staff of the phoenix server makes the law for the server. You play on their server, you obey the rules. Comparing their say to recommendations of a radio station is ....ignorant at best (let's put it that way).
Wed 13 Feb 2019 3:31 PM by warden50
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:50 PM
warden50 wrote:
Quik wrote:
LOL

I agree that his analogy is not very good, but yours is completly misleading.

The staff of the phoenix server makes the law for the server. You play on their server, you obey the rules. Comparing their say to recommendations of a radio station is ....ignorant at best (let's put it that way).
I think its pretty much the same thing actualy. It would be like "if you want to listen to our radio you have to follow our rules on the road". Isnt it ?
Wed 13 Feb 2019 5:04 PM by PingGuy
If you were a 3rd party, licensing the content of that radio station so that you could rebroadcast it, then your analogy would fit. And in that case, the 1st party you are licensing the content from would absolutely have complete say over how you use it. Just like Phoenix does.
Sat 16 Feb 2019 4:58 PM by Quik
warden50 wrote:
Quik wrote:
Sepplord wrote:

*facepalm*

LOL

Ok sorry I was trying to throw some humor in...

No my example wasn't perfect but it was still a WHOLE lot closer than yours.

The point that should be made is that a LOT of people do not want live streaming (myself included) and the GM's decided against it.

If people can't see the dmg it can cause when a realm is trying to take a relic or any time consuming project, well I doubt you care much about raids like these, but a lot of us do.

The odds of someone using this to cause issues is small, but I don't want to deal with odds, I want a fair game at all times without worry someone is streaming and helping the other realms.

GM's said no, so move keep playing the game and accept it, or sit here and whine you didn't get your way and sulk.

Either way I will continue to play this amazing server knowing the dev's are doing everything they can to keep everything fair =)
Sat 16 Feb 2019 5:02 PM by Ceen
Already voted 3 times.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 4:04 PM by MisterCotton
Quik wrote:
Sat 16 Feb 2019 4:58 PM
warden50 wrote:
Quik wrote:
LOL

Ok sorry I was trying to throw some humor in...

No my example wasn't perfect but it was still a WHOLE lot closer than yours.

The point that should be made is that a LOT of people do not want live streaming (myself included) and the GM's decided against it.

If people can't see the dmg it can cause when a realm is trying to take a relic or any time consuming project, well I doubt you care much about raids like these, but a lot of us do.

The odds of someone using this to cause issues is small, but I don't want to deal with odds, I want a fair game at all times without worry someone is streaming and helping the other realms.

GM's said no, so move keep playing the game and accept it, or sit here and whine you didn't get your way and sulk.

Either way I will continue to play this amazing server knowing the dev's are doing everything they can to keep everything fair =)

[edit - Abuse]
Sun 17 Feb 2019 4:06 PM by MisterCotton
Sepplord wrote:
wyan69 wrote:

*facepalm*

That is ridiculous. Try to stream snipe other people from someones stream thats not the streamer, its nearly impossible.

also, why isnt the culture to call out stream snipers instead of streamers? If someone in your group is stream sniping call them out like they are using radar. Is that too hard to understand?
Sun 17 Feb 2019 5:50 PM by yasow
Hej, we already said that we don't discuss the delay any further, please don't dig up old threads to continue the discussion. Thanks.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Open Community Votes or the latest topics