Level 50 pvp zone

Started 4 Nov 2019
by lolhisup
in Suggestions
I suggest a small zone, where level 50s can go, and do pvp. In this zone, if you die, you respawn in the zone. Since it is a small zone, it means that it won't take you 30 minutes to find the enemy that just killed you after you died. Instead, you can go out and find your enemy again within 2 minutes or so. I just want to play this game but there just isn't a good way to play it. 8 man, is like a legacy thing. You do 8 man, if you lived breathed and pooped daoc for 20 years. I played DAoC in vanilla when it originally came out and I had a 50 Friar, but I never really played much because I was playing other MMOs and other games at the time and to me dark age was just the least compelling of what was available.

It is like in order to do 8 man you need to be someone that has lived breathed and shit daoc for 20 years, so if that isn't you, then your options for RvR is basically run with a giant zerg. But zerg only happens at certain times of the day. If the people that lead those zergs aren't online, then you can't really do anything.

You can try to small man or go solo, but then you'll just get run over by zergs yourself.

And the worst part of all of this, is no matter what choice you can make, you are looking at probably 20 minutes after you die before you are back to the spot where you were before AND you eventually find combat again. Yo that is so abysmal. In other games, there is maybe maximum like 3 minutes between legit combat scenarios.

If you really look at it, for every 60 minutes that you are available to be in combat, maybe 15 minutes at best is combat. The rest is running around, standing and doing nothing/waiting, pve type stuff with guards and keeps. And this is like a good scenario. For the average person, it is probably like 1 minute combat per 60 minutes lol.

I have personally witnessed it. I have ran around and followed 8 men. They do nothing for like 25 minutes trying to find people what a waste of time lol. Why not just make a small pvp zone.

If someone doesn't have a lot of experience or they are trying to get better or learn, you have to have combat after combat after combat after combat. Getting smashed by zergs over and over doesn't teach you anything (besides avoid the zergs lel, which sometimes you can't even really avoid them... I mean you can... but eventually you'll get rolled in some situations). You need something to grip on to and you need to have an actual chance of victory. But if all you can do is just run away from zerg or get smashed by zerg or if you want you can run with a zerg yourself, but you don't really learn a lot that way because all the fights, if you do win, they are effortless because it is just 30 people piling onto 3 people lol.
Mon 4 Nov 2019 6:02 AM by Kampfar
Tldr you want arena
Mon 4 Nov 2019 6:58 AM by majky666
Here is 1v1 zone, but nobody goes there.
Mon 4 Nov 2019 8:01 AM by llaenor
lolhisup wrote:
Mon 4 Nov 2019 2:44 AM
I suggest a small zone, where level 50s can go, and do pvp. In this zone, if you die, you respawn in the zone. Since it is a small zone, it means that it won't take you 30 minutes to find the enemy that just killed you after you died. Instead, you can go out and find your enemy again within 2 minutes or so. I just want to play this game but there just isn't a good way to play it. 8 man, is like a legacy thing. You do 8 man, if you lived breathed and pooped daoc for 20 years. I played DAoC in vanilla when it originally came out and I had a 50 Friar, but I never really played much because I was playing other MMOs and other games at the time and to me dark age was just the least compelling of what was available.

It is like in order to do 8 man you need to be someone that has lived breathed and shit daoc for 20 years, so if that isn't you, then your options for RvR is basically run with a giant zerg. But zerg only happens at certain times of the day. If the people that lead those zergs aren't online, then you can't really do anything.

You can try to small man or go solo, but then you'll just get run over by zergs yourself.

And the worst part of all of this, is no matter what choice you can make, you are looking at probably 20 minutes after you die before you are back to the spot where you were before AND you eventually find combat again. Yo that is so abysmal. In other games, there is maybe maximum like 3 minutes between legit combat scenarios.

If you really look at it, for every 60 minutes that you are available to be in combat, maybe 15 minutes at best is combat. The rest is running around, standing and doing nothing/waiting, pve type stuff with guards and keeps. And this is like a good scenario. For the average person, it is probably like 1 minute combat per 60 minutes lol.

I have personally witnessed it. I have ran around and followed 8 men. They do nothing for like 25 minutes trying to find people what a waste of time lol. Why not just make a small pvp zone.

If someone doesn't have a lot of experience or they are trying to get better or learn, you have to have combat after combat after combat after combat. Getting smashed by zergs over and over doesn't teach you anything (besides avoid the zergs lel, which sometimes you can't even really avoid them... I mean you can... but eventually you'll get rolled in some situations). You need something to grip on to and you need to have an actual chance of victory. But if all you can do is just run away from zerg or get smashed by zerg or if you want you can run with a zerg yourself, but you don't really learn a lot that way because all the fights, if you do win, they are effortless because it is just 30 people piling onto 3 people lol.

In my opinion this is a pretty bad idea for 2 reasons :

- 1/ if you die and have a bad respawn point you can get camped by enemies and in like 10 you will be tilted and you'll throw your comp by the window.

-2/ It really drops down the strategic aspect of the RvR (about respawn, boat time, travel time, etc ...)
Mon 4 Nov 2019 10:10 PM by lolhisup
I definitely don't count the solo zones or small zones as what they are supposed to be at all.

First, ask your realm about them, and ask people to show you where they are. It will (unless it is asked recently) probably take a few iterations of asking questions to get people to actually point to where they are. So I am guessing there are a lot of people that if given an exam, wouldn't even be able to point to the map of their location.

Imo, not even knowing where the places are or what they do or how they work, this is a failure in and of itself, insofar as to make a solo or small man area.

The kicker though is that it isn't even a separate instance. They are just sitting in the frontier. I think this is probably what kills it. Also, you have to travel there in the first place. That kills it for sure. Imagine being a solo just trying to get to the solo zone and your realm doesn't even have a keep nearby to port to so you just have to hoof it from the relic town and you just get run over by FGs and zergs on the way to the solo zone. You need something that people are aware of, it has to be easy to get to, and I think it should be a separate instance, otherwise groups could just roll through if they wanted to. A separate instance I think feels more safe from zergs and things like this. It isn't the frontier. There aren't going to be huge (meaning like 3fg+ I feel like) groups running around that are taking keeps.

Something else I want to point out, I am definitely not knocking the devs at all. I am not sure if that is what people have thought reading my posts, but I want to make this point now. I have played on many different private servers for different MMOs over time. I played Uthgard, DoL, some other DAoC server, I have played P1999, I have played many WoW classic servers, I have played private servers for an old ass Korean MMO that I won't name. The devs care and I like how they are trying to do things. I get that I am not the traditional dark age player so I am going to have complaints, but this is one of the best dev teams I have ever seen doing a private server.

"- 1/ if you die and have a bad respawn point you can get camped by enemies and in like 10 you will be tilted and you'll throw your comp by the window."

As far as this, I do not think you should have a spawn point into a zone like this without having insta gib purple guards around. Like in the frontiers, there are the relic towns surrounded by the guards when you choose to port to Frontier. Something like this, just put some guards in a small circle so you have a chance to buff up. Enemies can run by, see if people are there but they can't get close enough to just kill you while you're afk letting your dog out. Or maybe you should have a wall to hide behind, I don't know, I am just expressing interest in a small pvp zone, instanced would be nice, as far as every tiny detail I am not sure I am qualified to lay all of that out but in my mind I have general ideas for how things would be but I am not the traditional DAoC player so I will let the people who understand things better decide if it were to come to it.

Essentially I am basically suggesting a battleground, I just don't want to say the word battleground because people will freak out, but if you call it a level 50 pvp zone, then that is something else. But I am not necessarily suggesting a battleground, because I think when people see the word battleground they think like Thidranki with a keep. I don't even really care that much about a keep. I think it would actually be cool if they had something like a keep, but it was open, like you can't take it and claim it, but you can still go inside and use it for cover and lay an ambush or try to fight people inside of it. Like the way the solo zones are set up now, it's like a keep in that it's a castle thing but there isn't ownership or anything like that. But, I am not sure if something like this would be possible. Like months ago, I didn't do it that much, but in Old Frontier they had those Flags and you stood on the Flags and you captured them for your realm. Maybe a keep like that, where a realm "owns" the keep by keeping so many people in whatever the boundary would be, but there aren't guards and stuff. This way it would let people know there are enemies in this keep area, but you don't have the whole PvE with the guards and stuff.

"-2/ It really drops down the strategic aspect of the RvR (about respawn, boat time, travel time, etc ...)"

100% it does. If it is a small zone, and you respawn in the zone, and there are no boats, you don't have to consider things like this. You know where the enemy respawns. You may not know if they continue to play, maybe they log after they die but you know where they are. My goal is just to fight other players, to try and maximize the rate at which I can get into a fight. One decent fight that lasts 25 seconds for every one hour of play is terrible. I am not looking to destroy the frontiers and keep taking and relics and towers and zergs. That is all fine. I just want another option if I am just looking to do combat with other players. Combat.

Something else I want to say is that what kills the solo zones I think is basically that you have to travel there first, and then there are three of them. It is cool you can port between them, that is interesting. But imagine having to explore the solo zone, and then maybe someone else is doing the same thing, but they are at the solo zone in hib, and you're at the solo zone in mid, and neither of you know the other is there, so you both just waste your time. Then one of you says, I will go check out the Alb solo zone, and the other says I will go to the hib solo zone, and you miss each other again. The reason why you can't just port to the solo zone automatically I think is because then people would just use it as a free port when their keep ports are down or something. Basically it will be exploited. But if it was an instanced pvp zone, you don't have to worry about people leveraging the extra free ports to get an advantage while capturing keeps or something.
Tue 5 Nov 2019 12:40 AM by Goforit
lolhisup wrote:

Not true. Did you try it?
Tue 5 Nov 2019 12:48 AM by Goforit
I dont reall get what you want. A small zone where everyone can go? So we have 200 people in that small zone?
Its too much too read anyway
Tue 5 Nov 2019 1:59 AM by lolhisup
Goforit wrote:
Tue 5 Nov 2019 12:40 AM
lolhisup wrote:

Yes but I play a Minstrel. I can run away from zergs if I see them in time. What has happened is I attack someone, and since I am not a big damage class, I basically have to rely on kiting with my pet and trying to snare with my weapon. It doesn't happen fast but my experience has been that a bunch of people will add and kill me.
Tue 5 Nov 2019 1:59 AM by lolhisup
Goforit wrote:
Tue 5 Nov 2019 12:48 AM
I dont reall get what you want. A small zone where everyone can go? So we have 200 people in that small zone?

Works for me
Tue 5 Nov 2019 2:06 AM by lolhisup
Goforit wrote:
lolhisup wrote:

I have also witnessed zergs kiling solos, so it isn't like this is something that hasn't happened before...?
Tue 5 Nov 2019 10:49 AM by Goforit
lolhisup wrote:
Tue 5 Nov 2019 1:59 AM
Goforit wrote:
Tue 5 Nov 2019 12:48 AM

Works for me

and that is not zerging!?
Tue 5 Nov 2019 10:53 AM by Goforit
lolhisup wrote:
Tue 5 Nov 2019 2:06 AM
Goforit wrote:
lolhisup wrote:

I have also witnessed zergs kiling solos, so it isn't like this is something that hasn't happened before...?

Sure it happens. But you said, that it always happens. And thats not true. You can do solo, without meeting zergs. A bigger problem are maybe smallmens or 8men that kill you. Dont know if thats a zerg.
Sat 18 Apr 2020 9:54 AM by Lance
agramon should be mordred rules
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics