RA Base Patch Level Change

Started 6 Nov 2018
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
We're changing the Realm Ability base patch level from 1.65 / old frontiers to the current live New New Frontiers.

Base patch level means just that though, it's the basis and not the final state.

The next update will include NNF RAs with these changes:
- charge is gone as an RA, OF charge (free sprint) will for now remain as base ability for merc / bm
- duelist's reflexes (offhand hit chance for alb / hib, second hand damge for mid) remains as passive
- mastery of arts/arms/archery/arcane remains for now
- tireless, long wind remain as they were since the last update
- no RR5 abilities for now
- serenity remains as it is
- necromancer RAs are more caster like

Things that will happen over the next updates:
- rescaling all actives with absolute damage / heal values to correspond to our current non toa / non cl HP amounts
- decimation trap
- juggernaut
- proper vanish mechanics
- reflex attack

Things that are still actively being discussed
- removing charge entirely or giving zerk the OF charge ability too
- RR5: keeping them gone, adding them as they are or giving people an exclusive choice (can only take 1 from a couple per class archetype)
- reintroducing wild arcana
- PD, either removal or reduction of effectiveness
- moc

Please note that the implementation of the active realm abilities started just last friday (2nd november), expect a noticeable amount of bugs and please report them. Especially the stacking / interaction between different realm abilities.
To find the correct behavior please test it on the official pendragon test server.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 5:09 PM by Sei
Holy little Pony

I m now crying of joy
Tue 6 Nov 2018 5:23 PM by Ombrix
More the time passes , closer we get to ywain ^^ just make a copy with very good change/balance and it’s perfect 👌🏽

Phoenix can be Ywain 2.0 👌🏽🤩
Tue 6 Nov 2018 5:26 PM by Druth
Once again the cry babies gets stuff they cant handle changed to their liking!

Serious though, I like the decision pretty sure the server will be much easier to balance around NF RAs.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 5:34 PM by idknemore
NF RA's > NNF RA's
Tue 6 Nov 2018 5:39 PM by daocgod
Good riddance
Tue 6 Nov 2018 6:15 PM by Zansobar
I believe this is the proper path forward and a very good change.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 6:51 PM by Magesty
Great change. I have been beyond impressed with the progressive decisions the dev team has been making with regards to balance and mechanics. I know some people will be bursting with nostalgic rage upon reading this thread, but it really is the best decision for a healthy server going forward.

Quick thoughts while digesting this information--

1) Viper needs to be SEVERELY nerfed or, ideally, completely removed. Period. It is way too potent of an ability and has essentially no counter play, especially as a solo player.

2) I would strongly advise adding in the RR5 abilities, and being willing to tweak them as needed. Without RR5s the NF RA system feels... hollow. Giving classes an option to select their ability seems like it would be clumsy, and might result in some unforeseen problematic combinations. The design of most of the abilities is fairly thematic and they honestly aren't in that bad of shape from a design perspective with the NNF changes.

3) I think keeping PD in the game isn't a bad idea as long as it is removed from non list casters and reduced in value.

4) Consider adding in Snap Shot to the crossbow line if the RR5 is going to be Soldier's Citadel.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 7:30 PM by chois
problem with nf ra on bowmen we have mcl, raging power , serenity, ethereal bond.... pretty sure we ll never have a lack of power to cast a pet...... :p
Tue 6 Nov 2018 8:04 PM by Cadebrennus
No PD. Especially the casters that max it out, puts them in the equivalent of armor.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 8:15 PM by Thinal
I haven't played NNF and I have some questions.

1. Is this the target list, other than the exceptions in the OP?
https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/realm-abilities

2. Do any abilities have prerequisites as some do now, or can I directly invest in any I choose?

3. Other than the RR5 list, are all RAs available to all classes? Some seem especially tilted to specific classes, like healing or damage spells; am I going to be able to cast those as a tank?
Tue 6 Nov 2018 9:20 PM by Magesty
Thinal wrote:
Tue 6 Nov 2018 8:15 PM

2. Do any abilities have prerequisites as some do now, or can I directly invest in any I choose?

3. Other than the RR5 list, are all RAs available to all classes? Some seem especially tilted to specific classes, like healing or damage spells; am I going to be able to cast those as a tank?

1) I believe that list is fairly accurate, but might have some old abilities listed.

2) No prerequisites. Only freedom.

3) RAs are limited by class. I believe this character builder is fairly accurate in terms of how they will be assigned: http://www.excidio.net/charplaner/
Tue 6 Nov 2018 9:24 PM by Farel
Explicitly NO to New Frontiers RAs.

Old Frontiers = Old (classic) RAs
    New Frontiers RAs take away much from the uniqueness of each realm
    New Frontiers RAs are also balanced around ToA Ablities
Tue 6 Nov 2018 10:22 PM by keen
Best news since the server came up!
Tue 6 Nov 2018 10:43 PM by Hurleybird
This is one of the worst changes that could be made
Tue 6 Nov 2018 10:45 PM by Nehm
Hi, I have two questions:
1. Will you make sure to update all the tooltips or whatever its called (when you right click to delve a RA etc)? For example Purge now has 5 lvls (???) but they all say 30 minutes and nothing else. Whats the difference? Do we have to google (newnewnew) RAs to be able to spec? Buggy things like this (missing/incorrect delve info has been a thing since beta started) really makes the server feel really cheap. Sorry to say.

2. Will you be making these kinds of drastic major changes, whatever they might be, once the server is live? I am very much looking forward to phoenix, but I don't want to invest any time into something that can change so drastically over night.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 10:54 PM by Uthred
1. Yes, tooltips & infos will be correct before launch.

2. No, we will make all major changes during i50.
Tue 6 Nov 2018 10:55 PM by vulna
Awesome change!
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:00 AM by imissswg
gruenesschaf wrote:
Tue 6 Nov 2018 3:54 PM
We're changing the Realm Ability base patch level from 1.65 / old frontiers to the current live New New Frontiers.

How about adding the actual NF? 😃
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:33 AM by Sepplord
imissswg wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:00 AM
gruenesschaf wrote:

and kill the server before it even started?

jk, no idea if that would happen, bt i am highly against that
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:49 AM by defiasbandit
I vote to return to Old RAs.

New RAs dont belong in classic DAOC. Some classes have been gutted.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:50 AM by Waygone
imissswg wrote:
gruenesschaf wrote:

I like the RA NF changes, but would LOVE to see BGs from NF as well as keep layouts. Would spice keep taking up quite a bit.
Also, would be nice to make porting to keeps a thing for hibs to get in emain action quicker
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:51 AM by Renork
Waygone wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:50 AM
imissswg wrote:
gruenesschaf wrote:

I like the RA NF changes, but would LOVE to see BGs from NF as well as keep layouts. Would spice keep taking up quite a bit.
Also, would be nice to make porting to keeps a thing for hibs to get in emain action quicker

This ^ or at least half-way...
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:56 AM by Waygone
Renork wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:51 AM
Waygone wrote:
imissswg wrote:

Imo, if any realm owns the keep in their realm port zone (emain, hadrian's, or Odin's), they should be allowed to port there. If not, if they own one specified keep in their adjacent zone (Brefine, Pennine, Jmatland), they should be allowed to port there. If they don't own these specific keeps, they need to get busy and take them..
Wed 7 Nov 2018 1:00 AM by Takii
defiasbandit wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:49 AM
I vote to return to Old RAs.

Says the guy who admitted to having never played New frontiers...
Wed 7 Nov 2018 1:12 AM by relvinian
1.81 > 1.65

Just go to 1.81 in a classic server setting.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 1:18 AM by Ashman
Phoenix Immortal
Wed 7 Nov 2018 5:44 AM by Isavyr
defiasbandit wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:49 AM

What class was gutted?
Wed 7 Nov 2018 7:15 AM by Qri
is there a list of all the ras somewhere?
does this mean, new mastery of stealth is active now?
Wed 7 Nov 2018 8:07 AM by Disco
Now, implement Speedwarps and everything is fine
Wed 7 Nov 2018 10:06 AM by Rexoo
Love that you guys are going for more basic setup... But as for now, all I see is that (CC classes are going to rule the playground) I hope I am wrong.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 10:26 AM by Gwendolein
Sorry but this is changing the balance of the setups completly...

The new RA system without charge is a huge setback for all tank groups and espically alb tank groups.

- increase cost for purge 4 points to 10 / 15 points
- no charge
- BOF for everyone
- PD on all caster
- Endu changes as per last patch (which force alb to play pally)
- Battery for everyone
- TWF on standard hib and mid classes (Warden and BD)
- Moc 1 for shamy (yeah, free rupt)
- Ichor for everyone....

This will force another dark age of cast alot.. therfore if you want to run as ALB Tank you definitly require a theurg for rupt and BOAD.

Cleric
Cleric (Fiar would be great but imo to weak as healer -> no heat and cold resists)
Pally (yeah another 0 damage slot)
Ministrel
Sorc
Theurg
Merc
Arms

For sure Alb will still be as strong as ever with caster setup, even without the old SOS. But we will see alot more bodytrain groups...
Wed 7 Nov 2018 10:37 AM by Luluko
nice those shorter timers are really needed for the amount of points invested and its also better to have no specc prequisite like aug stats to get to the better ra's
Wed 7 Nov 2018 1:56 PM by jkpix
Disco wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 8:07 AM
Now, implement Speedwarps and everything is fine

this so much. i don't understand why devs (not only on this freeshard) think about/implement new RAs without speedwarps, the only logical answer i can come up is with: they are clueless.
i dont mean to troll or insult anyone responsible for the changes but introducing new RA (which is good, because they are the only way to get a balanced server setting) without speedwarps is just idiotic.

also, you dont need MLs at all to introduce warps (i am 100% sure someone would come up the obligatory "but SW are MLs" statement). mentalists get baseline warps on live and thats basically all you need to have a balanced setting. new RAs with baseline SW at lvl50 for casters (or high 40s depending on what BGs there will be).

you dont need to remove charge either when you introduce SWs, charge is a good RA for offtanks and should be implemented.

without SWs every inc will basically look like this: SOS on inc - counter SOS immediatly after. yes, with SWs tankgroups will most likely SOS on inc anyway, but it is a very different fight dynamic.

NF new RAs are balanced as they are, there is absolutely no need to castrate or remove some of them. all you need to do is add speedwarps additionally.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 2:03 PM by Renork
Speedwarps are the one thing I enjoyed about ToA.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 2:08 PM by inxi
Speedwarps would be very annoying in OF frontiers. You'd end up with every milegate being a huge bottleneck where your speed drops due to warp and you'd prolly have warps all over the areas between milegates making for awkward movement due to downtime spent killing them every now and then.

Maybe making warps only last ~30sec to 1min duration so they aren't eeeverywhere after fights end.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 2:23 PM by jkpix
inxi wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 2:08 PM
Speedwarps would be very annoying in OF frontiers. You'd end up with every milegate being a huge bottleneck where your speed drops due to warp and you'd prolly have warps all over the areas between milegates making for awkward movement due to downtime spent killing them every now and then.

Maybe making warps only last ~30sec to 1min duration so they aren't eeeverywhere after fights end.

reduce SW lifetime down to 2 or 3 minutes for all i care, you usually dont fight/stay too long in one anyway and move on to the next one. saying that SWs would be annoying because its OF doesnt make ANY sense though. There are only 2 milegates per zone, same story on live, warps are literally 2shot by any (off)tank so its not like its a huge task after all.

milegates are a bottleneck regardless of the presence of speedwarps, you can and do get caught around them whether or not there are speedwarps. SWs are the only counter to SOS or charge (indirectly, as they split the tankgroup / slow them down if tanks dont yolo). New RA without warps will be yet another tanktrain fest like uthgard1 was.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:11 PM by Expfighter
This is a HORRIBLE IDEA, Leave the OF RA's in, this IS OF, if I wanted to play with the garbage NF or NNF or the NNNF Ra's I would play live!

And if you keep these NF RA's, then it is NO longer 1.65 so stop using that in your descriptions.

This started out with such great hope, loved the server when beta launched, but the more and more custom changes just screw up the GOOD thing you had!

I won't play here

But the more and more I look at this, it seems that this is UTHGARD 3.0!
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:17 PM by Thinal
Magesty wrote:
Tue 6 Nov 2018 9:20 PM
Thinal wrote:

1) I believe that list is fairly accurate, but might have some old abilities listed.

3) RAs are limited by class. I believe this character builder is fairly accurate in terms of how they will be assigned: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/realm-abilities

The URL you gave me is the same one I had posted. It mentions the complete list of RAs, but other than the RR5 list, does not say which RAs pertain to which classes. Where can I get that information?
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:25 PM by Magesty
Thinal wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:17 PM
Magesty wrote:
Tue 6 Nov 2018 9:20 PM
Thinal wrote:

3) RAs are limited by class. I believe this character builder is fairly accurate in terms of how they will be assigned: https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/realm-abilities

The URL you gave me is the same one I had posted. It mentions the complete list of RAs, but other than the RR5 list, does not say which RAs pertain to which classes. Where can I get that information?

My mistake. I pasted the wrong link.

http://www.excidio.net/charplaner/

I think this is up to date, although the best way to check these things would be to go on Pendragon.
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:41 PM by Magesty
Expfighter wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:11 PM
This is a HORRIBLE IDEA, Leave the OF RA's in, this IS OF, if I wanted to play with the garbage NF or NNF or the NNNF Ra's I would play live!

And if you keep these NF RA's, then it is NO longer 1.65 so stop using that in your descriptions.

This started out with such great hope, loved the server when beta launched, but the more and more custom changes just screw up the GOOD thing you had!

I won't play here

If you want 1.65 with no custom changes there is already a server with those settings. Last time I checked it was doing really well because players were really digging the game play and mechanics.

Judging by your writing style I'm guessing a progressive dev team will do nothing but ruffle your feathers. Trying to play here is probably not worth the stress.
Thu 8 Nov 2018 12:38 AM by Takii
Lol @ "this is no longer 1.65".

This stopped being 1.65 a very long time ago. If NF RAs are the threshold for you then at least word your complaint properly and complain about NF RAs specifically, not the patch level.
Thu 8 Nov 2018 1:22 AM by Expfighter
Magesty wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:41 PM
Expfighter wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 3:11 PM

I won't play here

If you want 1.65 with no custom changes there is already a server with those settings. Last time I checked it was doing really well because players were really digging the game play and mechanics.

Judging by your writing style I'm guessing a progressive dev team will do nothing but ruffle your feathers. Trying to play here is probably not worth the stress.

NO TROLL, i actually had 20 level 50's here on beta already before the ITEM wipe, loved the servers but with the terrible changes in stealth, low damage in archery, i was already on the edge. I had great confidence in the dev team, but that has eroded with the NNF RA's and the generic BS! Just make the damn server Mordred already and let the cheaters have fun for the month before it closes for good.

And i did play UTHGARD for a year and a 1/2, but the GM's there are GD DOUCHEBAGS, Abydos, Gnome, Blue, i deleted every toon and left!

this is a free server, got it! but they have strayed so far away from 1.65 it is a lie now! Might as well just delete all the changes they made here and turn the server into a free LIVE patch lvl server, that's what it's becoming! next will be NNNF, then dopplegangers, then TOA, CLs, OW, EV, LABY, CATACOMBS, Vampiirs and Shitlocks! Played DAoC for 16 years constant but that is coming to an end i guess.

great game it was before the idiot millenials f*&^ed it up
Thu 8 Nov 2018 3:58 AM by Takii
Cue "old man yells at clouds" meme.
Thu 8 Nov 2018 6:40 AM by Ceen
Nice, Old RA suck big time.
Thu 8 Nov 2018 1:47 PM by Dominus
Takii wrote:
Thu 8 Nov 2018 3:58 AM
Cue "old man yells at clouds" meme.

LOL! And I'm 54!

Thu 8 Nov 2018 2:34 PM by Magesty
Well done troll...? No way someone actually exists that fits that stereotype so well AND plays DAoC.
Thu 8 Nov 2018 3:37 PM by Anaethema
Magesty wrote:
Thu 8 Nov 2018 2:34 PM
Well done troll...? No way someone actually exists that fits that stereotype so well AND plays DAoC.

I've played with/against Exp since 2001 on Tristan and he's always been like that.
Thu 8 Nov 2018 4:30 PM by poisonclover
noticed my shadowblade can get determination, /remove

also noticed Mastery of magery.. increase DD damage... so in theory which I will test, can I use weapons with DD procs and it would increase their damage? /ponder
Sat 10 Nov 2018 4:36 PM by phixion
Good decision, new RA's is the way to go.
Tue 13 Nov 2018 3:47 AM by Gnarrg
Waygone wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:56 AM
Renork wrote:
Wed 7 Nov 2018 12:51 AM
Waygone wrote:

Imo, if any realm owns the keep in their realm port zone (emain, hadrian's, or Odin's), they should be allowed to port there. If not, if they own one specified keep in their adjacent zone (Brefine, Pennine, Jmatland), they should be allowed to port there. If they don't own these specific keeps, they need to get busy and take them..

That's the way to go, you can't port to a zone you don't fully own, Emain is always disputed due to the PKs. Would strongly incentivise keep taking as well.
Tue 13 Nov 2018 3:58 AM by Gnarrg
After playing for the last two days it's become quite clear that the new RAs need a lot of balancing. Caster groups are extremely strong right now, we didn't stand even the slightest chance with our Mid tank or mixed groups. With PD even classic Hib bomb groups seem viable again... it's just way too strong and our healers couldn't do a thing against the massive damage and high interruption potential. Without a real chance of dying quickly casters can play much more aggressively and don't have to kite (much). After switching over to Hib I've seen this from the other perspective, assist trains aren't that scary anymore and the druids were able to heal against it. We've wiped the Mid groups every time, Alb caster groups were more competitive but most lacked NS so we still won. Right now assisting each other as casters with base stun is just crazy effective. When tanks are on you just purge, MOC and bomb.
Tue 13 Nov 2018 7:05 AM by Icculus
Terrible. You tested for months on a ruleset and are now changing it right before live while we have i50 and insta rr6. How will you actually test progression and balance? I actually think new RA is the superior system by far, but you are building for failure. As much as the *other* server gets criticized for being stubborn, at least we knew what to expect. This server has so much promise and yet now it feels like all my time in beta has been completely worthless. This is a huge shift in balance and imo the beta process should be restarted.
Tue 13 Nov 2018 7:32 AM by Waygone
You have 2, or near two full months still to test these changes. PLENTY of time to test and tweak. And, testing for high RR is, imo the best way to test this change. I agree that new RAs are superior to old. Was I getting used to old RAs? Heck yes I was! I am still getting used to the new ones and testing right now. What I feel is that many have stepped away from the game and decided to wait for launch. If they want to have a good idea of the changes, and what to expect, get in there and test, make suggestions, and find bugs to help out.
As long as radical changes like these aren't done post-launch I am fine with it.
How can you say that adding features like new RAs, that you say "are far superior " be setting the server up for failure? Failure would be represented by failing to change to a superior system even with plenty of time to test.
Tue 13 Nov 2018 7:36 AM by Cadebrennus
To continue to get good data regarding RAs they should reinstate CV for at least another week or two
Tue 13 Nov 2018 11:51 AM by relvinian
Gnarrg wrote:
Tue 13 Nov 2018 3:58 AM
After playing for the last two days it's become quite clear that the new RAs need a lot of balancing. Caster groups are extremely strong right now, we didn't stand even the slightest chance with our Mid tank or mixed groups. With PD even classic Hib bomb groups seem viable again... it's just way too strong and our healers couldn't do a thing against the massive damage and high interruption potential. Without a real chance of dying quickly casters can play much more aggressively and don't have to kite (much). After switching over to Hib I've seen this from the other perspective, assist trains aren't that scary anymore and the druids were able to heal against it. We've wiped the Mid groups every time, Alb caster groups were more competitive but most lacked NS so we still won. Right now assisting each other as casters with base stun is just crazy effective. When tanks are on you just purge, MOC and bomb.

I have seen this time and again. It looks like this-- Mez FOREVER. Stunned FOREVER. Dead

When I went to airborn school they taught us if your first chute fails to deploy the reserve chute. Then if there is a problem with the reserve you are supposed to pull the reserve back to you and throw it away from you or something. Incredulous, I asked how long does that take. The instructor said you have the rest of your life to do it.

Well guess what? The CC in this game reminded me of that story. How long do you get to be CC'd? The answer is-- the rest of your life.
Wed 14 Nov 2018 11:34 AM by jkpix
Gnarrg wrote:
Tue 13 Nov 2018 3:58 AM

It has nothing to do with PD but with the lack of charge on offtanks. The problem lies in leaving certain new RAs out instead of just implementing them as a whole (including RR5's) and adding the one ability needed to avoid an either tank heavy or caster heavy meta: Speedwarps.
In any normal, balanced setting PD on casters is so far down on the priority list you usually dont spec it prior to R10 other than as a placeholder when saving points for a bigger RA.
Wed 16 Jan 2019 8:13 PM by teiloh
Would have preferred OF RAs with some tweaks and a couple of infusions from NF here and there. The progression on passives is nice however.
Thu 24 Jan 2019 7:02 PM by Roks
So zerkers dont get charge?
Plus savages lose their ability get charge as well.

This is like the LA nerf.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics