Relic Bonuses

Started 25 Oct 2018
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
The next update will include the basics of our relic bonuses.

Relics will be charging up their bonuses over 10 days. Picking up a relic will reset the bonus, so even if your relic attack fails but you manage to pick it up you will have damaged your enemy / reset their bonus (reset on pickup will be a slightly later update, next update will only have the charge mechanic on capture).

Bonus for Enemy Strength Relics:
+5% Melee Damage after 10 days, does not affect cap damage
+10% Craft Speed Bonus after 10 days
+10% Feather Drop after 10 days

Bonus for Enemy Magic Relics
+5% Magic Damage after 10 days, does not affect cap damage
+5% Heal after 10 days
+10% Craft Speed Bonus after 10 days
+10% Feather Drop after 10 days

The charging works like this:
For 5% bonuses:
1% for day 1 and 2
2% for day 3 and 4
3% for day 5 and 6
4% for day 7, 8 and 9
5% for day 10+

For 10% bonuses:
1% for day 1
2% for day 2
3% for day 3
4% for day 4
5% for day 5
6% for day 6
7% for day 7
8% for day 8
9% for day 9
10% for day 10+
Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:06 PM by defiasbandit
Some good changes here. This is an improvement over the old system.
Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:36 PM by Dve
I dislike the idea of relics having an impact on power balance of realms and classes. Can we try to remove that?

But whatever bonus you will put unto it - relics in general always reward the stronger (= bigger) realm, and give incentives to play on the more populated realm instead of playing the underpopulated realm. It's a downward spiral, since lower player numbers also mean it's less likely to recapture the relics. For this reason I suggest, that there should be - additional to the bonus - also a malus for having relics.

Let's say you kept the bonus damage on relics (which is a bad idea in my book, but keep it for this example ), then at least give the other realms more bonus RPs for missing their relics - that may incentivize the players on the less populated realm to log on. With their numbers growing, you will achieve a better population balance, which in return may lead to the relics changing hands again. Or if you are afraid of the slippery slope of too many RP bonuses, just reduce the RP gain on the relic dominating realm.

edit:
RP gain increase/reduction and bonus damage are just examples here. I know both of them are not very good ideas.
I hope someone may have better ideas to put into this suggestion.

edit2:
realm population may correlate with relic domination, but from my experience its not to the same degree on every realm. some realms have better tools and abilities for keep & relic siege than others *animists cough*
Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:47 PM by defiasbandit
DAOC is about Midgard v Hibernia v Albion. Relics are the key to all of this.

I like that there are rewards for holding relics for longer periods of time.

Instead of damage bonuses, what if holding an enemy relic awards your realm either 15% feather, crafting speed, and bounty points or 15% xp, crafting speed, and gold bonuses. Instead of 5% Magic and 5% Melee Damage. Additionally you earn Relic Points for holding enemy relics.

Once one realm amasses a certain total amount of Relic points they are the Relic War winner.

Think of it like a relic vault that keeps filling up as you hold enemy relics.

There could be an underdog bonus for capturing and holding relics if one realm is super far behind in terms of total relic points.

Winning the Realm War grants the winning realm unique titles, cosmetics, dyes, a special realmwide event, an rp bonus, and a commemoration statue in their Capital City. A week long party for the relic war winner.

1 week break after a realm is declared the victor.

I think it is important that there is a winning realm in any relic system. It can create realm pride and unite players on a realm to fight for everyone.
Fri 26 Oct 2018 2:28 AM by Scout123
defiasbandit wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:47 PM

I thought you said DAoC was about PvE?
Fri 26 Oct 2018 6:38 AM by defiasbandit
Scout123 wrote:
Fri 26 Oct 2018 2:28 AM
defiasbandit wrote:

Well most players focused on PvE and Mythic began designing the game around that with SI and TOA. Most players who played DAOC in its prime didn't really RvR too much from what i remember. Can't confirm though I could be wrong.
Sat 27 Oct 2018 1:05 PM by Takii
defiasbandit wrote:
Fri 26 Oct 2018 6:38 AM
Scout123 wrote:
defiasbandit wrote:

Well most players focused on PvE and Mythic began designing the game around that with SI and TOA. Most players who played DAOC in its prime didn't really RvR too much from what i remember. Can't confirm though I could be wrong.

Lol have you actually ever played this game on live...
Sat 27 Oct 2018 1:25 PM by Ganaka
Back to the subject of the thread....

The delayed bonus is a great idea! However, it would seem that the over-populated realm would still have a runaway freight train advantage if they have all 3 relics for a long period of time. What happens if one realm has all the relics for 1 month? 2 months? What happens when people reroll to the over-populated realm?
Sat 27 Oct 2018 5:52 PM by defiasbandit
Takii wrote:
Sat 27 Oct 2018 1:05 PM
defiasbandit wrote:
Scout123 wrote:

Yea I played this game back when it had hundreds of thousands of players not a couple hundred like now. Most players on live during SI and TOA focused on PvE.
Sun 28 Oct 2018 12:38 AM by cortexqc
very often the possession of relics is related to the largest rvr population so why damage advantage bonus to the powerfull realm?
yes the system of damage increasing over time with reset is a good mitigate system but why simply don't give damage bonus?

replace them with :
RP bonus? like 10% RP bonus per relics ? (6 relics 60% bonus RP)
and fixed amount of feather token for each day of possession can be claimed by a rvr npc.
The powerfull realm can make more RP and clain daily feather.
Craft bonus is good ^^

on the opposite side
damage bonus need to be offer to other underpopulated/powerless realm.
when a realm lost one of his relic it gain a (5%) damage/heal buff and if it lost the 2 (10%)

This way :
- Powerfull realm can take advantage on gaining RP rank exp and buy some stuff/craft etc.
- Weakest realm can gain some little advantage on rvr encounter and have a chance to go back on the rvr race.
Sun 28 Oct 2018 10:38 AM by Smilo

Lol what the heck did i just read?
Sun 28 Oct 2018 2:27 PM by Ganaka
defiasbandit wrote:
Sat 27 Oct 2018 5:52 PM
Takii wrote:
Sat 27 Oct 2018 1:05 PM
defiasbandit wrote:

Yea I played this game back when it had hundreds of thousands of players not a couple hundred like now. Most players on live during SI and TOA focused on PvE.

I feel that most people were doing PVE because it was "mandatory" to compete RVR. Many of the more powerful items had bonuses that could not be replicated in crafting.

What I liked about DAOC was the team PVP.
Mon 29 Oct 2018 8:48 PM by defiasbandit
I think the new Relic Bonuses are pretty good. I know many players do not prefer % damage bonuses, but this new system keeps them more balanced than before.
Fri 7 Dec 2018 11:00 PM by Raunz
Relics giving bonus xp/rps/gold/feathers should be enough, no need to have some snowball effect with relic bonuses.
Tue 11 Dec 2018 11:07 AM by Kaziera
I would like to see some bonus to siege for realms that miss relics
Tue 11 Dec 2018 10:27 PM by Ardri
The REALM scaling system still doesn't stop everyone from swapping realms on day 10. In my opinion an ACCOUNT bound scaling system over say 30 days would be better. Reward the PLAYER who is loyal to a realm the longer they stay on it, not the realm as a whole that they're going to. Only your account/realm loyalty should matter in my opinion.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics