Reskin NPC

Started 13 Aug 2018
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
One of the next updates will introduce an npc where you can get new models for items.

The npc has a preview feature where an npc will spawn with equipment identical to yours wearing the selected item, ie you select the jester hat then the spawned preview npc will wear exactly what you are wearing but the hat will be replaced with the jester hat. The preview npc is only visible to you.
If you give the reskin NPC the item afterwards it will deduct 10000 BP and apply the model, it will not remove the existing color or emblem (or effect).
The NPC will also trade feathers to bounty points (only feathers -> BP, not the other way around). The exchange rate will be 10 feathers to 1 BP, this may be adjusted.

The available models will depend on what you are currently wearing (ie do not put the items you want to reskin in your inventory, you have to wear them to show the preview and the preview is required before you can buy the new model).

We will start with the realm specific helmets (jester hat, tarboosh, wolf helm, winged helm, fur cap, robin hood hat, leaf hat, stag helm, gandalf hats) as well as some popular ToA models (like guard of valor, antalya shawl / magma cloak, shades of mist, scarab vest etc.). The list of available models will greatly increase over the coming days.

All models will only work on things where they make sense (no plate wearing caster, no golden spear blunt weapon etc.).
Mon 13 Aug 2018 11:18 PM by rubaduck
I love the fact that you are giving the players the possibility to look unique through more then colors. It is a lot more pleasurable to walk around in good looking gear looking mighty as hell! Good job Phoenix staff!
Tue 14 Aug 2018 1:48 AM by phixion
This sounds amazing, will there be an option to skin your gear to look like your epic armour?
Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:04 AM by Cotea
What about the chance to have weapons look like Champion Weapons?
Tue 14 Aug 2018 3:05 AM by Magesty
Cotea wrote:
Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:04 AM

Champion Weapon skins are god-tier
Tue 14 Aug 2018 6:27 AM by Glimmer
Very nice idea and change! Keep it up !
Tue 14 Aug 2018 10:06 AM by Cotea
Magesty wrote:
Tue 14 Aug 2018 3:05 AM
Cotea wrote:
Tue 14 Aug 2018 2:04 AM

Champion Weapon skins are god-tier

Yea remember having it on Genesis... think it would be awesome on Phoenix
Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:46 PM by Ignusar
I really like the reskin idea. But i would suggest a 3:1 ratio instead of the 10:1.

10.000 bounty = 30.000 feathers
30.000 feathers / 7000 per Galla raid (Hib) = 4x - 5x Galla

Even at this ratio it will be expansive for a lot of player. Considering you taking items before skins you will end up being in Galla for more than 20x times (4-5 items + 2 skins).
Tue 14 Aug 2018 5:53 PM by Fiore
Many great changes love you thanks :-)
Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:21 PM by Hedien
I love the idea.
Since you are including toa gear, can you include champion weapons ? These were really good looking.

Hed.
Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:42 PM by Varano
I'm confused. So you can have a glowie golden spear?
Thu 30 Aug 2018 3:09 PM by Kaziera
Varano wrote:
Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:42 PM

Sadly yes. The ridiculousness of a dual wielder with 2x golden spear with glow effect , zahurs crown with halo plus Gov will be real. Oh wait it was allready real. As shown during the pvp event in lamfothas sound......

It was truly disgusting.
Thu 30 Aug 2018 3:16 PM by Aincrad
Kaziera wrote:
Thu 30 Aug 2018 3:09 PM
Varano wrote:
Wed 15 Aug 2018 1:42 PM

Sadly yes. The ridiculousness of a dual wielder with 2x golden spear with glow effect , zahurs crown with halo plus Gov will be real. Oh wait it was allready real. As shown during the pvp event in lamfothas sound......

It was truly disgusting.

Why is this such an issue? It's not like they deal more damage or have better gear by looking the way they want to look. I do not see a problem with this and I think it's cool they give us the option to look cool.
Thu 30 Aug 2018 3:21 PM by Kaziera
Its hideous because it looks like it ist only made to be extra sparkly to make others envious.

I dont want more effects and skins. I want my mmo come from a fantasy world and not a cartoon world. I want my swords to look like swords.

And dual wielding swords that look like spears and sparkle just kills the immersion for me.
Tue 4 Sep 2018 9:07 PM by Nehm
I like the idea of being able to reskin items, but I agree on previous posters that I think the current focus on "epic" weapons are a bit over the top. Is there any chance to see more options for reskin to classic crafted skins? For example I'd love to reskin my crafted 3.8spd right hand mace to look like the crafted 3.4spd left hand mace, and so on. Maybe these kinds of reskins should also be cheaper than the big flashy epic things.
Tue 4 Sep 2018 10:32 PM by phixion
I too think some of the skins available are over the top.

I would remove the ToA junk... it never fit the games aesthetic anyway.
Tue 4 Sep 2018 11:08 PM by Niix
I too agree the reskins are way too much... the helm glows and ridiculous ToA weapons are just too much. The glows are insane too, most don't even fit the weapon properly and it just make the game look horrible.

I like the idea of reskining weapons, but should only be able to reskin to any available weapon in the game (ie. if you can obtain a drop of certain skin, that should be available for reskin ... via crafting or drops). Champion weapons may be one exception, tho still should be stuck to class (why can I change my hammer to shaman champ weapon) lol?

I also like the idea of once purchased a skin, you can swap to and from it without re-payment... basically a collection of purchased skins.
Wed 5 Sep 2018 1:34 AM by hallibel
agree with most of the things said above, a sorc wearing a wizard champion staff , eld wearing a chanter staff ect it just makes it look like a random freeshard. wont even talk about the shield with something like a sword glows...

being able to reskin sure, but let's not make a skald look like a thane or the opposite.
Wed 5 Sep 2018 1:40 AM by hend
I also really feel like the reskins make the game looking like a trash free shard with some combinations that never been possible on live servers (before BS). To me, if we aim for a quality DAOC server we have to make everything clear : a runemaster cannot look like a spirit master, nobody can use double artifacts token (malice X2 etc.), toa skins are also questionable on a 1.65 server imo, and so to me there is no way to accept 1.80+ skins like the BS crawns etc. I can accept the new skins because it is matter of taste but everything needs to remain clear (this class is this class).
I personaly hate when it looks like a trash custom freeshards : https://imgur.com/a/UZi9oaL
Wed 5 Sep 2018 9:17 AM by gruenesschaf
The effect thing will receive some more restriction down the line and have a whitelist of models per effect.

I really don't get the argument wrt no runemaster staff on spirit master to make a sm look like a sm though, with crafted staffs they'd look the same anyways and you couldn't distinguish them, really not seeing how a different staff skin makes a difference.
Wed 5 Sep 2018 12:39 PM by Nehm
gruenesschaf wrote:
Wed 5 Sep 2018 9:17 AM
The effect thing will receive some more restriction down the line and have a whitelist of models per effect.

I really don't get the argument wrt no runemaster staff on spirit master to make a sm look like a sm though, with crafted staffs they'd look the same anyways and you couldn't distinguish them, really not seeing how a different staff skin makes a difference.

The whole idea with the epic armors and weapons was to give each class something unique. Anyway, like above poster said: all these types of skins does nothing other than making the server feel cheap. And we really don't want that, this server is so great in so many ways. Also they make the game look more like a cartoon than a fantasy game. I know of course that this server does not aim for a strict 1.65, and that's good! But, we still want to keep the classic "feel" and in this case many people would agree that these skins cross the line.

My wish: please start by implementing all the crafted item models, that should be more than enough in the beginning. To for example being able to reskin a 4.2spd 1h sword to look like the 3.4spd left hand sword. Then yes of course some "unique" models could for sure be avalible, but there should be a difference in the BP cost for them. At the moment the BPs are so easy to earn that there is nothing to save up for or looking forward to. Everyone can reskin to epic weapon after a few hours of RvR.
Wed 5 Sep 2018 12:48 PM by hallibel
let's say i screenshot you one of those non modded caster : wich class is it ? answer will be i don't know, sm rm bd ?
then another screenshot with the same caster with a bd champion staff : wich class is it ? well during a fight for those who have played live their brain will instantly tell its a bd, for half a second atleast until you realize oh wait its a freeshard people can look like whatever they want...

not that i care really about the fighting part the guy will land a spell and then you get his class but it just make the game really ugly (double golden spear ect). even those chapter10 helm are horrible to watch, ywain has been a disaster the last few years and those skins are just too much and remind me from ywain.

just wanted to give my 2 cents its certainly not going to push me away from the server but there will definitely be some people logging in watching these ''model abuse'' thinking oh well just another shitty random freeshard watch the way they look, i'm out.
Wed 5 Sep 2018 12:55 PM by hend
gruenesschaf wrote:

It works with new players. The problem is a big part of the population played on TOA and NF. So we have already a clear image of how looks the game. If i see a wizard staff, my brain instantly understand i m facing a wizard by reflex, and then i take one second of reflexion to think "well this is phoenix, not the real dark age, it can also be another class". With crafted staffs my brain instantly tells me by reflex "you don't know". To me thats a huge different, it's not only a matter of taste, it has a small impactt on the gameplay.
Wed 5 Sep 2018 1:08 PM by Druth
As long as we don't get horses...
Wed 5 Sep 2018 10:17 PM by Frigzy
gruenesschaf wrote:

It's all about immersion. These details break it and players prefer not to play in a clownfiesta. Everyone has at least some degree of roleplayer in them. This an MMORPG after all.

If there is any area where Phoenix can fuck up it is here. Firstly due to failing to understand the concerns of your playerbase and secondly because immersion is not taken into account properly. The first point puts Phoenix on par with that other server, the second puts Phoenix below it. Please don't make those mistakes. We love this server and the work you do. We all want this to turn out as well as we're hoping it will.

Also, I think plenty of players would love to just have access to the SI weapon skins and some ToA/class CL gear (for hib for instance the new spear designs were awesome in and of themselves. nothing fancy champion weapon style, just refreshing classic-like designs).

Lastly, please make the reskins cost 10x more. Right now it feels like it's worth as much as dinging realmrank 3.
Thu 6 Sep 2018 7:47 AM by Uthred
As we are still in Beta, nothing is set in stone at this point. Last nite i reworked the effect merchants and a lot of effects will not be possible anymore after this is patch is uploaded. I also took a look at the reskin npc and made minor changes to it.

Besides that, we are still thinking about changing prices for reskins or changing bps per kill. The amount of bps per tasks already got nerfed. We are also thinking about (maybe) removing champion skins from the reskin merchants and make them only accessable via very rare events/quests or whatever. We havent finally decided about that yet, but we still have some ideas in our mind.
Thu 6 Sep 2018 1:53 PM by klaggorn
hend wrote:
Wed 5 Sep 2018 12:55 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:

It works with new players. The problem is a big part of the population played on TOA and NF. So we have already a clear image of how looks the game. If i see a wizard staff, my brain instantly understand i m facing a wizard by reflex, and then i take one second of reflexion to think "well this is phoenix, not the real dark age, it can also be another class". With crafted staffs my brain instantly tells me by reflex "you don't know". To me thats a huge different, it's not only a matter of taste, it has a small impactt on the gameplay.

I don't understand all the bickering regarding this topic. You expect us to believe that because a class is holding a staff that is for another classes epic, that you are going to be thrown so far off your game that you cannot hope to recover? I've heard some dumb arguments about stuff being changed, but this has to be the most ludicrous one thus far. So when everyone ran tartaros gift or a crafted staff, your brain was sent into an eternal purgatory that you crashed and couldn't remember what buttons to press anymore? You want to complain about a shield having a sword glowy on it, I can see your point, kinda, but the rest of your argument is really just stupid.

The mods look cool. That's it. They have 0 effect on game play.
Thu 6 Sep 2018 4:51 PM by hend
Yes it disturbs me to see classes wearing item skins that has been designed for unique classes, and we been used to these specificities till more than 12 years. It can influence me in some situations. Imagine 2 casters incoming in front of you, one has a wizard staff, another one has a sorcerer staff. If you have to decide who you gonna imezz, who you gonna amnesia, who you gonna perfor artery, i guess most of the time you gonna hit the guy looking like how a sorcerer looked like on live during 12 years. You can also imagine people abusing of this : a group of casters reversing all the staffs and using same races for every caster, eld staff on the ment, enchant staff on the eld, ment staff on the enchant. When you think about changes you have to think about people who will abuse it. Of course it will not change anything for people who don't care about details in fights.
The question is, how far do we want to change the daoc experience on Phoenix ? The actual reskins create unique skins we never seen before. We actually saw this kind of skins before, on random freeshards.
Thu 6 Sep 2018 5:52 PM by gruenesschaf
The visible appearance from one caster to the next is just not how you can distinguish them here or on any pure classic server. You just cannot distinguish between a wizard and a sorc by just how they look, these staff reskins change nothing about it, they are just different staff skins, nothing more and nothing less.
Thu 6 Sep 2018 6:42 PM by hend
You can't distinguish but when you have to do a move and there is this 1% appearence difference, it influend your judgement and thats the point the appearence misled you. I don't see how someone who played on live alot cannot be misled at some point when classes pretend to be classes. If people are with 1.65 normal crafted gear you can't distinguish them and you are not misled at all, thats the difference, you are just betting without any influence.
Thu 6 Sep 2018 6:59 PM by klaggorn
Devs, please don't change this possibility because of this argument. This is one of the best features in your server. I love it as do most others.

Hend, sorc is Saracen or inconnu 99% of the time. Wizards don't exist in 8v8 where this would even matter. I've seen your videos so let's be real here that this isn't going to make you lose a fight because a sorc incoming at 3k range is going make you lose because of the way their staff looks.
Thu 6 Sep 2018 7:10 PM by hend
klaggorn wrote:
Thu 6 Sep 2018 6:59 PM
Devs, please don't change this possibility because of this argument. This is one of the best features in your server. I love it as do most others.

Hend, sorc is Saracen or inconnu 99% of the time. Wizards don't exist in 8v8 where this would even matter. I've seen your videos so let's be real here that this isn't going to make you lose a fight because a sorc incoming at 3k range is going make you lose because of the way their staff looks.
1I can accept reskin in some limits, with more rules like : you can reskin your item with all the items that YOUR CLASS can equip in any version. I m mainly talking about CL SKINS which are very class specifics. Other skins are just a question of taste to me and even if i disagree it doesn't matter.
I even think that most of the players will love the reskins, and even if i personally hate reskins, because i love when dark age looks like dark age and is not custom when its not needed, i ll accept when the majority wants.
I m very scare the reskin will go too far if we don't fight (for me its going too far yet) and i don't want the gms to spend their time on fighting abuses and adding useless features while the server is actually very far from being released.
2 Thats off topic, i love dark age and playing on a server i like more than i love my personal wining/losing ratio. Put you are pointing a good thing, most of the players discuss balance and version features through their own pleasure.
Sun 9 Sep 2018 10:19 PM by FrackinReavers
gruenesschaf wrote:
Thu 6 Sep 2018 5:52 PM
The visible appearance from one caster to the next is just not how you can distinguish them here or on any pure classic server. You just cannot distinguish between a wizard and a sorc by just how they look, these staff reskins change nothing about it, they are just different staff skins, nothing more and nothing less.

Im sorry, but lol. Target priority is a thing, and that makes visual distinction matter. Class champion weapons should be limited to their classes.
Mon 10 Sep 2018 12:20 PM by Aegis15656
would be nice to reskin the Necro pets, I'm really not fond of the current models.
Mon 10 Sep 2018 9:29 PM by ColdHands
FrackinReavers wrote:
Sun 9 Sep 2018 10:19 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:

Im sorry, but lol. Target priority is a thing, and that makes visual distinction matter. Class champion weapons should be limited to their classes.

Learn your spell animations and its not a problem.. With reskins its actually easier to know who is who because everyone is not carrying that same Generic crafted staff
Tue 11 Sep 2018 2:02 PM by Hanshi
Waste o time.. this is a pvp game not a fashion show..how about instead of stupid stuff for 9 year olds ya focus on game play.
Wed 12 Sep 2018 8:22 AM by hend
ColdHands wrote:
Mon 10 Sep 2018 9:29 PM
FrackinReavers wrote:
Sun 9 Sep 2018 10:19 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:

Learn your spell animations and its not a problem.. With reskins its actually easier to know who is who because everyone is not carrying that same Generic crafted staff

Thanks you for the L2P argument but the problem is there is planty of situations a caster is not casting (on INC ?) or is casting a spell that other casters can also cast.
Wed 17 Oct 2018 4:48 PM by Vack
Why where the Champion Skins removed? I've asked a thousand times and have gotten zero answers.
Please tell me its NOT because folks can't figure out what class is what because their staff looks different O.o

Anyway
I'd like them back

Thanks
Wed 17 Oct 2018 7:59 PM by Uthred
We removed the Champion reskins because it was too much blink blink.
Thu 18 Oct 2018 4:37 AM by Kwall0311
What about some of the ToA weapons? Noticed Malice is in but not battler. Or the spears!
Thu 18 Oct 2018 5:10 AM by depth
I cant help but feel like Hend secretly won the most unfounded agrument in daoc history.

BREAKING NEWS:
"Very renowned daoc player cant tell what class something is on inc without a brown staff visual queue!"

My eyes almost rolled out of my head. I love your videos. I love your enthusiasm for Phoenix. But please hire an attorney if you ever get in legal trouble.
Thu 18 Oct 2018 7:28 AM by Sepplord
depth wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018 5:10 AM
But please hire an attorney if you ever get in legal trouble.

Sorry for Off-Topic: You should ALWAYS do that. Even if you are an attorney yourself (but then you would probably already know that)
Thu 18 Oct 2018 7:34 AM by vitu
Uthred wrote:
Wed 17 Oct 2018 7:59 PM

Have you considered to limit the weapons to their original classes and make them cost 20k, so that they are an investement?
Thu 18 Oct 2018 7:38 AM by defiasbandit
vitu wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018 7:34 AM
Uthred wrote:

Have you considered to limit the weapons to their original classes and make them cost 20k, so that they are an investement?

It becomes silly if everyone is running around with them. That was part of the issue.
Thu 18 Oct 2018 8:03 AM by romulus
*sigh*

I do miss my Aten's shield...
Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:07 AM by Uthred
vitu wrote:
Uthred wrote:

Yep, we did. Also no more Chain-Gandalf-Hats.
Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:41 AM by Kaziera
Uthred wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018 10:07 AM
vitu wrote:
Uthred wrote:

Me likeh! Although i loved my troll skald with the steeple hat on live.
Fri 19 Oct 2018 12:53 PM by klaggorn
[/quote]

Worst change ever.
Fri 19 Oct 2018 3:44 PM by Ardri
All ToA skins should be added. They have been part of the game for so long it's iconic to the look of DAoC. Tartaros staff, battler/malice, cyclops shield, etc all have unique looks but still fit imo.
Fri 19 Oct 2018 3:55 PM by klaggorn
Wtb red tartaros gift
Thu 25 Oct 2018 3:23 PM by Vack
meh
Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:03 PM by Kralin
Not a fan of TOA skins or later. Since this is 1.65 in spirit, I wish we only had glowies and lusters. Special models should be rare.

If you want TOA/CATA/LABY, play live.
Wed 23 Jan 2019 9:49 PM by Hector
Kralin wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:03 PM
Not a fan of TOA skins or later. Since this is 1.65 in spirit, I wish we only had glowies and lusters. Special models should be rare.

Agree 100%
Thu 24 Jan 2019 10:22 AM by inoeth
Hector wrote:
Wed 23 Jan 2019 9:49 PM
Kralin wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:03 PM

Agree 100%

play uthgard when you dont want it?!
stupid
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics