Rework of the Small Man / Solo Incentive

Started 28 Jul 2019
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
We were kind of hoping that the small bonus at those places might already be enough, however, it apparently is not. For that reason we're going to rework it. Depending on feedback a change should happen in the next week.

The current proposal would be as follows:
We're going to use the weird structures / keeps in emain / hw / og as the solo areas, going there will allow you to teleport to any of the other 2 solo areas, dieing in any of the solo areas will allow you to teleport to any one of them after releasing, just like the EV teleport.
The teleport from one solo area to another or from your relic town to any of these areas will have a 1 minute after combat or release cooldown, as well as an additional 2 minute cooldown after the last teleport as well as an enemy vicinity check.

For small man (up to 4 people) it will work exactly the same with the mazes: go to any of the mazes and be able to teleport to any of the other two, die in one of them and be able to teleport to any of them via the teleporter in your relic town.
The teleport from one maze to another or from your relic town to any of these areas will have a 1 minute after combat or release cooldown, as well as an additional 2 minute cooldown after the last teleport as well as an enemy vicinity check.

The teleport points will be randomized, for the mazes if the group leader selects a destination all nearby group members are teleported to the same spot.

The current 10% bonus will be removed, mob placement near those areas will be adjusted.

Joining a group will lock you out of the solo area teleport for 10 minutes starting once you leave the group. Entering any of the solo areas will lock you out of the small man / maze teleport for 10 minutes. Being in a group of 5 or more people will lock you out of the small man area teleport for 10 minutes starting once the group size returns to 4 again / you leave the group.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:22 AM by Kaseylol
The problem isn't that people don't want to smallman or need a perk to do it. The problem is that it's far too rewarding to just zerg keeps in a BG for anyone to put in effort into an actual fight.

These convoluted patches to promote smallman are just missing the point entirely; as long as people can join a BG and zerg around and get mega RPs/hour with tasks they will keep doing it. The effort vs RP reward balance is way too high to bother with anything else for most players.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:31 AM by Moid
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

You guys will end up chasing your tails trying to please everyone all the time and end up pissing everyone off instead.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 2:10 AM by Strays
Kaseylol wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:22 AM
The problem isn't that people don't want to smallman or need a perk to do it. The problem is that it's far too rewarding to just zerg keeps in a BG for anyone to put in effort into an actual fight.

These convoluted patches to promote smallman are just missing the point entirely; as long as people can join a BG and zerg around and get mega RPs/hour with tasks they will keep doing it. The effort vs RP reward balance is way too high to bother with anything else for most players.

Potentially controversial opinion: 8v1-4 is horrible for server health, and I believe it's the reason why smaller number options can't flourish.

I've tried A LOT to make a duo/trio/quad work on Phoenix.. and it doesn't. After RR6 you only get about 7k/hr zerging towers -- but I think there's more to it.

I don't disagree with you, but I think there's another point to note that people don't smallman/solo because being smashed by a static 8-man guild is not fun. Being killed 8v1, 8v2, or 8v4 isn't fun -- and there's really no disincentive/reason for them not to run you over for free RP. If being smashed as a solo/smallman rewards the same points to the 8man as killing members of another 8man, the 8man is going to target you out for easier kills and faster RP gains. The obvious exception to this is stealthers soloing, as 8mans can't find them as quickly.

Zerg isn't necessarily bad for server health. In fact, I'd say it's good for it. It allows casual/lower skilled people an environment to play the game in that isn't being hulk smashed by the same pre-set 8man tryhard team 24 hours a day and still receive good rewards for it. The 8man guilds are not exactly hurting for RP gain, as they tend to top the RP gain/day effortlessly on herald.. However this environment leads to 8mans targeting out solo/duo/trio/quads and farming them as free food because all of their other effortless kill targets are inside the zerg. The only downside to zerg versus zerg gameplay is that 8mans have fewer free kills to roll.

If you want to see 1/2/4man group setups flourish, then reduce or remove the reward an 8+man gets for rolling you into paste with zero resistance. It is my experience that playing those group sizes in an environment that promotes utilizing twice as many people to just roll over the competition's lower numbers is what ruins the ability to play in those smaller numbers. Smallmans know to avoid zerg areas, and if you're avoiding the zerged areas you're likely being turned into paste by the 8man who is also avoiding the area.

Over all, the underlying issue is that competing in lesser numbers against the rr8+ static 8man groups is impossible -- and they're going to target you with priority as you're free food. To avoid being effortlessly rolled, people are pushed into the zerg to hide from the stinky 8v1 Gouda.

The answer isn't removing the reward from the zerg, the answer is removing the reason why people feel like they HAVE to zerg to participate in rvr -- which is avoiding being 8man'd into bits. If my options are being obliterated by 8mans for zero rp/hour, or joining a zerg and not dealing with them at all for minuscule rp/hr-- I'm joining the zerg. If I'm forced into trying to small man versus 8mans because there's no other options, I'm logging out.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 2:27 AM by Kaseylol
Strays wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 2:10 AM
Kaseylol wrote:

Potentially controversial opinion: 8v1-4 is horrible for server health, and I believe it's the reason why smaller number options can't flourish.

I've tried A LOT to make a duo/trio/quad work on Phoenix.. and it doesn't. After RR6 you only get about 7k/hr zerging towers -- but I think there's more to it.

I don't disagree with you, but I think there's another point to note that people don't smallman/solo because being smashed by a static 8-man guild is not fun. Being killed 8v1, 8v2, or 8v4 isn't fun -- and there's really no disincentive/reason for them not to run you over for free RP. If being smashed as a solo/smallman rewards the same points to the 8man as killing members of another 8man, the 8man is going to target you out for easier kills and faster RP gains. The obvious exception to this is stealthers soloing, as 8mans can't find them as quickly.

Zerg isn't necessarily bad for server health. In fact, I'd say it's good for it. It allows casual/lower skilled people an environment to play the game in that isn't being hulk smashed by the same pre-set 8man tryhard team 24 hours a day and still receive good rewards for it. The 8man guilds are not exactly hurting for RP gain, as they tend to top the RP gain/day effortlessly on herald.. However this environment leads to 8mans targeting out solo/duo/trio/quads and farming them as free food because all of their other effortless kill targets are inside the zerg. The only downside to zerg versus zerg gameplay is that 8mans have fewer free kills to roll.

If you want to see 1/2/4man group setups flourish, then reduce or remove the reward an 8+man gets for rolling you into paste with zero resistance. It is my experience that playing those group sizes in an environment that promotes utilizing twice as many people to just roll over the competition's lower numbers is what ruins the ability to play in those smaller numbers. Smallmans know to avoid zerg areas, and if you're avoiding the zerged areas you're likely being turned into paste by the 8man who is also avoiding the area.

Over all, the underlying issue is that competing in lesser numbers against the rr8+ static 8man groups is impossible -- and they're going to target you with priority as you're free food. To avoid being effortlessly rolled, people are pushed into the zerg to hide from the stinky 8v1 Gouda.

The answer isn't removing the reward from the zerg, the answer is removing the reason why people feel like they HAVE to zerg to participate in rvr -- which is avoiding being 8man'd into bits. If my options are being obliterated by 8mans for zero rp/hour, or joining a zerg and not dealing with them at all for minuscule rp/hr-- I'm joining the zerg. If I'm forced into trying to small man versus 8mans because there's no other options, I'm logging out.

I don't disagree with any of this but the main issue is really a lot simpler - if you zerg around in a 100 man BG you should get VERY little RPs. IN NO OTHER GAME, EVER MADE, does it promote such a massive one-sided meta of just BG keep-take.

The fact you don't even need to tag anyone or do anything at a keep to get RPs is why this issue is on Phoenix. There's zero incentive to push for fair fights, more tags, etc. You can play phoenix every night and get plenty of RPs to not need to do anything else, ever. As long as there are keeps to take there's zero issue. Zero thought required on how to get kills, find fights where enemies don't run, tag players for assist RP, or anything but mindlessly zerg. This is what midgard is doing today and I don't understand how GMs/Devs of this server look at it and are at all proud of what they've done. It's such a far reach from OG daoc that it doesn't even feel like DAOC.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:05 AM by bm01
If I'm understanding this correctly, this allows solo players (or small groups) to teleport to a place where bigger groups can't? But it doesn't prevent bigger groups to go there and kill everyone, right? So in a sense, there won't be many more fair fights than there currently are around Bledmeer or where the current defense task is. The RP gain will also be lower because of that. For me, as a visible speedless class, not being able to get speed back after winning a fight is a big problem.

Maybe I'm missing something but I believe this incentive doesn't really cater to anyone. I'm still willing to give it a try though.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 5:13 AM by Cadebrennus
Moid wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:31 AM
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

You guys will end up chasing your tails trying to please everyone all the time and end up pissing everyone off instead.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 5:59 AM by MacPrior
Strange decision, to port smalls/solos anywhere randomly.

Perfect occasion for the HighRRs and for the Bomb Group to farm porting Solos and Small Groups on the endpoint.

Solos area traditionally in NF was around Beno/DC/Bled Bridges and Piers. Solos and Small ganking with pleasure the Leveling Spots in NF.

Actually don't see any ground to promote exactly this type of RvR.
There are plenty of ppl don't cares about grouping, creating a group with all needed classes, filling groups and just running solo and small men with the zerg.
To build the group is on other hand quite difficult - half of them running in small with zerg or beside, half of them doesn't want to join anything.
LFG becomes a kind of disappointing on the server too. "I will logg out in half an Hour" "I stay solo", "I run small men".

Promote the 8er Group Play Style will bring far more for the server. But again, not sure - the randomly port in somewhere will be the right decision in general.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:06 AM by Druth
I solo most of the time, with some sieges adding in for rps (yeah, not to proud to admit, unlike some, I care about rps)
The reward is a slow moving title, and the thrill of the rare 1v1's.

And I think it's fine. A MMO should not promote "limited people" gameplay, having people around you should be encouraged.
Is why stelthers are inherently a bad design, because a large group of them wants stealth AND the ability to compete 1v1. Stealth groups are annoying as F, but they play the game as MMO's are meant to be played.
Is why TWF was bad, it rewarded HUGE rewards to solo players that could ignore dying and just cash in. They did not need a healer to support them vs. zergs.
Is why buff pots, charges, heal pots etc etc... are inherently bad, because they support people not wanting to group others.
And the list goes on...
And remember, I am one of those anti-socials most of the time (but frequent afk's forces me to sadly).

Soloing is not a natural stage in a game with 7 vacant spots in your "group". 8man is the natural stage of the game (but no adding etc... is not).
You are not forced to do it, it's a choice, the reward is supposed to be in your own mind.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:07 AM by CronU
MacPrior wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 5:59 AM
Strange decision, to port smalls/solos anywhere randomly.

Perfect occasion for the HighRRs and for the Bomb Group to farm porting Solos and Small Groups on the endpoint.
gruenesschaf wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:15 AM
The teleport from one solo area to another or from your relic town to any of these areas will have a 1 minute after combat or release cooldown, as well as an additional 2 minute cooldown after the last teleport as well as anenemy vicinity check.

imo currently every incentive that is going away from zerging is a good one.
At least its worth trying.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 8:29 AM by Kaseylol
People should join a BG to take a keep to cut port, get df for pve or a raid , force action to that keep for defense / siege rp, go for relics, etc.

People should not be able to stay in that BG and still get sufficient rps to not do anything else.

"okay we got port, my bg is so large enemies don't even want to come near it, I gotta do something else to get rps"

Boom now people log alts, farm feathers, smallman, 8man, go to a battleground, do a raid, etc.

This game was never designed to just be massive bgs fighting each other constantly and its a fact. Even if it was, task rps prevent bgs from even having to fight each other, and they often don't. People argue 8man isn't fun because high rr groups like PK steamroll most others but the truth is that the majority of players just have zero incentive for diversity to even try to form an 8man to fight it. This is why the population has been dying, barely anyone is doing raids or DS, and the majority of the sever is just afk keeptake bgs.

It's pretty sad when Hibernia is storming down Albions towers and keeps and Albion doesn't even have a bg up. Hibs should immediately realize albs don't have a bg and will face little opposition and be pressured to do something else to get rps/have fun.

Oh well, the sever pop will continue to go down and the massive imbalance of Frontier realm population will keep being an issue.

https://unixgeek.com/phoenix.html
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:42 PM by Killaloth
I'll skip straight away the usual nonsensical replies from people that like trolling without even trying the change beforehand.

FYI there are few players that wouldn't join the keepzerg even if paid 1P per hour to do so. I do my rps solo/smallman roaming mainly and that's it. Pvdoor makes me sad. Imagine if all zerg surfers were instantly 13L tomorrow, what would they do? Continue to bang on doors? Would they become good players because of their rank? No. They would simply have a 13L toon worth nothing because they learnt nothing about their class.

Winning tough fights with your lvl 49 rr3 bard buddy makes good fun and good memories. Take your Skald and OP bonedancer and come have fun. Take your mini and sorc/friar/necro and come have fun with your strong classes. You won't have a single good memory of this game if you keep banging on doors.

I will try the change and then comment, thanks again for trying to make this a server good to play for both zergers and solo/smallman.

And yes, server population decrease during the summer, surprise surprise!
Sun 28 Jul 2019 1:59 PM by gotwqqd
Strays wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 2:10 AM
Kaseylol wrote:

Reducing or eliminating rp from out of balance by numbers kills won’t stop the slaughter. They simply love the killing and everything tied to the killing(grieving etc)
Tue 30 Jul 2019 6:34 AM by Arla
People are worth realm points based on the realm rank they have acquired. Do not jack this server up by trying to finesse everything and cater to the first complaining "victim" of a ruleset. The more this server moves from launch the less I want to play.
Tue 30 Jul 2019 3:18 PM by BaldEagle
Could cause less action in the frontiers. Not sure if this is it, chief.

Reduce rewards for zerging, but increase relic bonuses. Maybe make it so you can't realm switch to a realm which currently holds more than 2 relics?
Tue 30 Jul 2019 3:38 PM by Kwall0311
BaldEagle wrote:
Tue 30 Jul 2019 3:18 PM

Reduce rewards for zerging, but increase relic bonuses. Maybe make it so you can't realm switch to a realm which currently holds more than 2 relics?

Why would this cause less action? Its likely to fix some the people humping Bled/DC/Beno, sitting there WAITING for a fight to pop up infront of them . The zergs will still have their zergs, and the 8 mans will still have their 8 mans.

Being able to solo away from the bridges/boat drops to stay away from those players sounds good to me.

This is nothing but good.
Tue 30 Jul 2019 4:25 PM by Aph
Killaloth wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:42 PM
I'll skip straight away the usual nonsensical replies from people that like trolling without even trying the change beforehand.

FYI there are few players that wouldn't join the keepzerg even if paid 1P per hour to do so. I do my rps solo/smallman roaming mainly and that's it. Pvdoor makes me sad. Imagine if all zerg surfers were instantly 13L tomorrow, what would they do? Continue to bang on doors? Would they become good players because of their rank? No. They would simply have a 13L toon worth nothing because they learnt nothing about their class.

Winning tough fights with your lvl 49 rr3 bard buddy makes good fun and good memories. Take your Skald and OP bonedancer and come have fun. Take your mini and sorc/friar/necro and come have fun with your strong classes. You won't have a single good memory of this game if you keep banging on doors.

I will try the change and then comment, thanks again for trying to make this a server good to play for both zergers and solo/smallman.

And yes, server population decrease during the summer, surprise surprise!

This is the truth. The players who only think of RPs as incentive to drag them away from pvdoor should think about why they enjoy playing daoc.

If you don’t have time to form a group and look for other groups while not enjoying Zerg or soloing, then you should play something else?

On topic; it seems logical to use the existing structure for purposes like this. It’s sad that the small man players can’t create their own action though. I think OF was better suited for small man action; especially when we had the rotating mid -> hib -> alb task system. Was kind of unwritten rules that smaller grps and solo ppl went to the non task zones to duke it out. Good times!
Tue 30 Jul 2019 4:54 PM by vxr
Kwall0311 wrote:
Tue 30 Jul 2019 3:38 PM
BaldEagle wrote:

Why would this cause less action? Its likely to fix some the people humping Bled/DC/Beno, sitting there WAITING for a fight to pop up infront of them . The zergs will still have their zergs, and the 8 mans will still have their 8 mans.

Being able to solo away from the bridges/boat drops to stay away from those players sounds good to me.

Because apparently if zergs/8mans can't find solos to kill than there is no action..
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:04 PM by Isavyr
1) (minor issue) Siege tools cost money--why? Many players do not purchase them because they are unwilling to spend money to attack a tower. There should never be a disincentive from engaging in RvR. Towers, which were originally designed for small-man (though it's moot whether it succeeds in attracting small-men), are affected by this. Is it possible to have free siege weapons, but limited to "unique" and therefore only able to carry one at a time? Another way of doing that is simply making them heavy. 150 weight-units ought to be sufficient.

2) (major issue) There are few objectives for small-man. Instead of sending people off to corners of the map which have no relevance, why not add closer/more relevant captures? Ideally, there are objectives suited for all sizes--anyone can capture, small group can capture, large group can capture. Currently, it's FG or multiple FG, with no foci for small-men. It's no surprise that small man hardly occurs.

Bridge captures could be an "anybody" objective--create two campfires (one on each tower) which have an anti-stealth area limited to the battlements. Make a flag in the very center that requires people to stand there to capture, so they must control the center and not the sides. Make it relevant to RvR by reducing siege damage to nearby structures if you don't own the bridges ("supply points". Add in a hastener on the sides, as that's very desirable to small groups and directly supports their playstyle.

Other objectives could be created in middle of nowhere, but again, they need to be relevant/useful.

3) (major issue) 8-man ESPORT mode is always at odds with a healthy thriving community, imo. This is the elephant in the room. The larger the number of people required to form a competitive group, the fewer groups you'll see forming. Plus, it feels a lot more busy when 16 people are split across four groups instead of two. I think some way of limiting group size in limited instances should be implemented--something that feels organic.

I think #3 is difficult to tackle, but certainly the first two ideas philosophies could be explored better and I believe that would help. I think the tasks were a great idea in OF, and demonstrates that the team can do better. This feels like a half-baked idea (but I'm glad that it's there--better than nothing!)
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:15 PM by vxr
Isavyr wrote:
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:04 PM
Bridge captures

That's an interesting idea. Tons of bridges, can really help spread the action. +1
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:18 PM by Sleepwell
Kwall0311 wrote:
Tue 30 Jul 2019 3:38 PM
BaldEagle wrote:

I honestly hope it has the effect that you want it to have. I personally think that nothing will change. People like the instant constant action that the hotspots bring. Just because they like to gripe that they cannot have their solo fight with the same amount of action doesnt change much. I think what they really want is people to line up one by one and wait their turn to fight.

I hope it is good.... for those that want it. Time will tell. At least there will be a reply when the solo'ers gripe about being ran over at bled/beno/dc
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:19 PM by florin
vxr wrote:
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:15 PM
Isavyr wrote:
Bridge captures

That's an interesting idea. Tons of bridges, can really help spread the action. +1

Hope to find you next to Beno EV bridge
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:35 PM by vxr
florin wrote:
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:19 PM
vxr wrote:
Tue 30 Jul 2019 5:15 PM
Isavyr wrote:
Bridge captures

Hope to find you next to Beno EV bridge

Eh, the off bridges are a ghost town usually. Can stay there for 20-30 minutes without encountering anyone. On the other hand Dock bridges, especially beno are a death-trap. But I'll check out the EV bridge next time I am on and will be on the lookout for you
Tue 30 Jul 2019 7:04 PM by Roto23
Moid wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 12:31 AM

This reminds me of another saying...
You can pick your friends and you can pick you nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.
Tue 30 Jul 2019 7:15 PM by florin
I mostly run solo - with the understanding that I will get rolled by FG and put up a fight for 2 and 3 vs 1. What makes this tolerable is being able to release quickly and get back into action quickly (this is evidenced by the high death counts and kill counts of soloers.) Another reason why AMG/MMG in emain were so popular and why docks and bridges targets for coast guarders. So, if you can replicate the same fast turn around and have some sort of restrictions in place, you might have a winner. The randomness can help against people duoing informally and ganging up on soloers. Alternatively - using the current locations like bridges and docks creatively can also work with additional incentive to stay solo.

Cheers
Tue 30 Jul 2019 8:44 PM by Numatic
How about an incentive based on solo kills for the realm? Such as effecting tower/keep defense? Maybe a small solo only tower that can be fought over once a certain number of solo kills is achieved and the longer that spot is held, the better defense of your realms tower/keeps? I'm just spit balling really but I think encouraging solo kills rather than segregation is what we really need to be looking into.
Thu 1 Aug 2019 5:44 PM by vxr
gruenesschaf wrote:
We were kind of hoping that the small bonus at those places might already be enough, however, it apparently is not. For that reason we're going to rework it. Depending on feedback a change should happen in the next week.

We're going to use the weird structures / keeps in emain / hw / og as the solo areas, going there will allow you to teleport to any of the other 2 solo areas, dieing in any of the solo areas will allow you to teleport to any one of them after releasing, just like the EV teleport.
The teleport from one solo area to another or from your relic town to any of these areas will have a 1 minute after combat or release cooldown, as well as an additional 2 minute cooldown after the last teleport as well as an enemy vicinity check.

For small man (up to 4 people) it will work exactly the same with the mazes: go to any of the mazes and be able to teleport to any of the other two, die in one of them and be able to teleport to any of them via the teleporter in your relic town.
The teleport from one maze to another or from your relic town to any of these areas will have a 1 minute after combat or release cooldown, as well as an additional 2 minute cooldown after the last teleport as well as an enemy vicinity check.

The teleport points will be randomized, for the mazes if the group leader selects a destination all nearby group members are teleported to the same spot.

The current 10% bonus will be removed, mob placement near those areas will be adjusted.

Joining a group will lock you out of the solo area teleport for 10 minutes starting once you leave the group. Entering any of the solo areas will lock you out of the small man / maze teleport for 10 minutes. Being in a group of 5 or more people will lock you out of the small man area teleport for 10 minutes starting once the group size returns to 4 again / you leave the group.

Any update on the progress of this? I know you guys have a lot on your plate, but I have heard some good things about GvG command and am excited to try this out.

Thanks!
Mon 5 Aug 2019 5:02 PM by vxr
gruenesschaf wrote:

/bump again

I was excited to hear about this. Any update on when we can expect it? Or any update at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mon 5 Aug 2019 9:52 PM by gruenesschaf
Should be sometime this week
Mon 5 Aug 2019 11:32 PM by vxr
gruenesschaf wrote:
Mon 5 Aug 2019 9:52 PM
Should be sometime this week

Thanks <3
Wed 7 Aug 2019 10:48 AM by Uthred
Changes are in since last patch. As there seems to be some confusion about where to find the zones, here is an overview:
SOLO

[attachment=5]albsolo.JPG[/attachment] [attachment=4]hibsolo.JPG[/attachment] [attachment=3]midsolo.JPG[/attachment]

Small Man

[attachment=2]albmaze.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]hibmaze.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]midmaze.JPG[/attachment]
Wed 7 Aug 2019 3:26 PM by Uthred
Hey, it is me again. As there also seems to be some confusion about "rules" for these zones, let me clear things up.

The same rules are valid for those zones as in every other zone too.

"everyone from solo to zerg is allowed to go to the zones and to kill players"

These zones are meant as an incentive for people who like to play differently, but the zones arent an arena or anything like that.

If a zerg wants to go there -> allowed
If an 8 man wants to farm small man there -> allowed
If a small man wants to farm solos there -> allowed
If a small man adds on a two fighting small men -> allowed
If two solos kill one solo there -> allowed
and so on.

I hope this helped. Again. This is just an incentive to show players where they might find solos or small man. But we will never keep other players from going there too. Even with those zones up, it is still daoc, so everything that may happen to you everywhere else in the FZ might happen there to you too.
Wed 7 Aug 2019 5:59 PM by vxr
Uthred wrote:
Wed 7 Aug 2019 3:26 PM
Hey, it is me again. As there also seems to be some confusion about "rules" for these zones, let me clear things up.

The same rules are valid for those zones as in every other zone too.

"everyone from solo to zerg is allowed to go to the zones and to kill players"

These zones are meant as an incentive for people who like to play differently, but the zones arent an arena or anything like that.

If a zerg wants to go there -> allowed
If an 8 man wants to farm small man there -> allowed
If a small man wants to farm solos there -> allowed
If a small man adds on a two fighting small men -> allowed
If two solos kill one solo there -> allowed
and so on.

I hope this helped. Again. This is just an incentive to show players where they might find solos or small man. But we will never keep other players from going there too. Even with those zones up, it is still daoc, so everything that may happen to you everywhere else in the FZ might happen there to you too.

Thank you for this and the clarification.
Can you just clear one more thing up. Is it against the rules NOT to engage someone? If we see an enemy in any zone/region are we compelled to fight them? Or can we choose not to engage. I assume that we can choose to attack or not attack anyone, but some people are arguing that not attacking may be considered x-realming.

Thanks!
Wed 7 Aug 2019 6:17 PM by Gweinyth
I am pretty sure you can choose not to engage. There are plenty of times I am running solo through an area to reach my group and I run past someone hoping they don't engage with my bard. If just ignoring to engage someone is against the rules stealthers are breaking the rules all the time.
Wed 7 Aug 2019 6:28 PM by vxr
Gweinyth wrote:
Wed 7 Aug 2019 6:17 PM
I am pretty sure you can choose not to engage. There are plenty of times I am running solo through an area to reach my group and I run past someone hoping they don't engage with my bard. If just ignoring to engage someone is against the rules stealthers are breaking the rules all the time.

I would agree, but some would suggest otherwise.
Wed 7 Aug 2019 7:30 PM by Gweinyth
It would also be almost impossible to enforce or you would have a lot of people in trouble for something they might not have even noticed. Besides hoping that when I do see someone and I try to run on past, there are times when I am focused on the little dots on my map and don't pan effectively. Yes I can admit it. These are also the times the enemy often engages. How can you hold someone accountable for not engaging if they don't see the enemy?
Wed 7 Aug 2019 8:43 PM by Wooshh
Is it normal? Found just now in solo mid zone, ppl from All 3 realms sitting together, bowing, setting duels, watching duels
Wed 7 Aug 2019 8:46 PM by Ceen
Wooshh wrote:
Wed 7 Aug 2019 8:43 PM
Is it normal? Found just now in solo mid zone, ppl from All 3 realms sitting together, bowing, setting duels, watching duels
You mean champions and bonedancers? ^^
I had some fun during the evening but it's getting old already
Wed 7 Aug 2019 9:56 PM by vxr
Wooshh wrote:

Why does it bother you? If you don't like it then you can
a - attack them at will
b - form a group to roll them
c - go somewhere else

no one is forcing you to play that way.

I actually prefer solo without the whole /beckon /bow thing, but it's just something soloers tend to do. You don't have to respect it. Just play the way you want.
Wed 7 Aug 2019 10:33 PM by Wooshh
vxr wrote:
Wed 7 Aug 2019 9:56 PM
Wooshh wrote:

a - attack them at will
c - go somewhere else

I actually prefer solo without the whole /beckon /bow thing, but it's just something soloers tend to do. You don't have to respect it. Just play the way you want.

i find it frustrating, i search a fight, i finally find a red and he kisses me, while he is friendly sitting with someone of my realm and of the third realm and i feel like i m very bad if i twf all them so i run away sad like my cat when i dont give her my food
Thu 8 Aug 2019 6:07 AM by inoeth
went there with my hunter, maybe rename the area to tank fighting ground ;D
Thu 8 Aug 2019 6:12 AM by Aph
Duelling in daoc was always tanks and assassins... nothing new here. I guess an occasional bd or necro (maybe bombzz) comes in now and then.
Thu 8 Aug 2019 6:43 AM by Stoertebecker
inoeth wrote:
Thu 8 Aug 2019 6:07 AM
went there with my hunter, maybe rename the area to tank fighting ground ;D

Live has the same areas as *Solo-Spots*, with the same problems, no los etcetc.
Thu 8 Aug 2019 1:48 PM by Killaloth
Wooshh wrote:
Wed 7 Aug 2019 10:33 PM
vxr wrote:
Wooshh wrote:

a - attack them at will
c - go somewhere else

i find it frustrating, i search a fight, i finally find a red and he kisses me, while he is friendly sitting with someone of my realm and of the third realm and i feel like i m very bad if i twf all them so i run away sad like my cat when i dont give her my food

I quit live after I realised I was roaming the frontiers solo and getting /wave /hug and /kiss from half the server. I hated it and I'll never do it again.

Just pick one fair target and inc. If more than one jumps on you go back with a 4-5 man and wipe the area.

More fun for everyone to have a "bad" guy to kill. Hugs and bows are boring
Thu 8 Aug 2019 2:10 PM by bm01
I had some fun yesterday. At first, there wasn't many people going to these areas (edit: the solo ones), and there was a bit of searching and hiding sort of dynamic. It was pretty nice. But quickly, many people arrived and we had to ask ourselves if we should get involved in other players' fights or not. Naturally, most of us didn't, since people came here to have nice fights, and not to overwhelm the opponents with numbers. If we did, we would have been forced to stick with our realm mates, and eventually we would just have grouped to benefit from group buffs, guard and such, killing the main reason to go there in the first place. Not being able to teleport back wouldn't even have mattered at that point. What I'm trying to say is that as soon as many people go there, it naturally becomes a dueling area for tanks (which includes SM, BD and Necros), where you "ask" your opponents before fighting them. The player density was too high to allow anything else.

That being said, duels are still interesting, but I'd prefer like a pretty big zone where you can roam as a solo player and search, ambush, hide, etc. Pretty much what we're already doing when roaming near docks, but with a slightly higher survivability and protection against groups. I think this is what these areas were intended to be, but for now it doesn't work.

But at least I know I'll be using the teleport to go to EM / HW without having to hop on a boat.
Fri 9 Aug 2019 7:30 AM by Pendalith
this is an awesome change , thank you
Sat 10 Aug 2019 1:49 AM by Azuell
Are there any small mans who are going to these zones? We haven't been checking too often but never see any other groups when we do. We would definitely start checking more if we knew others were going there though.
Sat 10 Aug 2019 11:50 AM by Aph
I have roamed it for some time with a duo, completely empty all realms. Should meet up in the alb maze area. Nobody goes there and it’s an awesome maze structure to battle in.
Sat 10 Aug 2019 7:11 PM by shintacki
We actually had decent action at the hib smallman zone last night. My alb 3 man fought a mid 3man a few times and there were a couple other Mids and hibs roaming for a bit. Still got rolled by a mid 8man a couple times there but it was pretty fun. At the very least the porters are nice for smallmans to get around a little easier. If we happen to find some fights then that's cool too.
Mon 12 Aug 2019 6:41 AM by Sepplord
friday night after 0:00 CET we found another 4man there once (though it was unclear if they were cruising by or actually in the zone).
We lost the fight, and went back but all zones were empty then.

Did a few checks saturday too between 22:00 and 2:00 CET and didn't find anyone neither.

I guess it's a hit or miss thing, population is just not THAT big to have multiple smallman groups running there around the clock. And if there are only 2groups the one getting beaten "often" doesn't come back after 2tries.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 5:50 PM by Caemma
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 12 Aug 2019 6:41 AM
friday night after 0:00 CET we found another 4man there once (though it was unclear if they were cruising by or actually in the zone).
We lost the fight, and went back but all zones were empty then.

Did a few checks saturday too between 22:00 and 2:00 CET and didn't find anyone neither.

I guess it's a hit or miss thing, population is just not THAT big to have multiple smallman groups running there around the clock. And if there are only 2groups the one getting beaten "often" doesn't come back after 2tries.
This is because the incentive to go there is basically none.
I often run in smallman, and I've tried to "use" this basic smallman area/system, but is simply not enough / poorly implemented..

I mean, a /smallman command similar to /gvg command that would list the smallman running (and which zone) would make smallman/solo action 100x times better than this zone, guaranteed results.

Lastly, imho... arenas should be used more often (maybe weekends?) to give some incentive to people to try out fair smallman/solo action, they might even like it and do it more often in the regular zones during regular days.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:11 PM by Sepplord
having a /smallman command similar to the GvG command would be intresting to see in action
Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:23 PM by Cadebrennus
vxr wrote:
Wooshh wrote:

a - attack them at will
c - go somewhere else

The whole /beckon /bow bullshit is toxic to the server because it is RP circle-jerk farming masquerading as "duels".
Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:03 PM by Azuell
Yes please for the gvg command for small mans. I've been asking for this for a while now but have yet to see a response from the staff. If they have no intention of doing it, I wish they would just come out and say it so I could give up hope. The game is getting to the point of being virtually unplayable for me as good fights are becoming increasingly rare.

I don't see any downside to it and wouldn't think it would require much work since it's already been done for 8 mans. The small man zones don't work and never did, even though it was a nice idea. We do use them for porting pretty frequently though which is nice.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:11 PM by gotwqqd
Azuell wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:03 PM
Yes please for the gvg command for small mans. I've been asking for this for a while now but have yet to see a response from the staff. If they have no intention of doing it, I wish they would just come out and say it so I could give up hope. The game is getting to the point of being virtually unplayable for me as good fights are becoming increasingly rare.

I don't see any downside to it and wouldn't think it would require much work since it's already been done for 8 mans. The small man zones don't work and never did, even though it was a nice idea. We do use them for porting pretty frequently though which is nice.
I’ve mostly leveled a stable of characters to 50 mingled in with rvr at 46+ while leveling.
Looking from the outside as a leveler there seems to be plenty for small man to do if you want. Travel around the participation keeps and docks that are lockdown
I see many take advantage of groups that are thinking they are safe in the keep area.
Thu 24 Oct 2019 6:34 AM by Sepplord
>We do use them for porting pretty frequently though which is nice.

don't you have to die in the zone to use the port afterwards?
Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:13 PM by shintacki
As albs we just port to eras and run to the maze to port. Faster than boating if you're going deep in to hib or mid when their ports are cut. Otherwise yes, if you want to port straight from the relic town to a smallman zone you have to die in a smallman zone.
Sun 27 Oct 2019 9:59 PM by Caemma
I see you guys (@Staff) are working on keep takes & zerg management according to today announcement...

Can you please also take a look into the smallman population, pretty please?
Wed 30 Oct 2019 11:22 AM by Goforit
Think, you first have to write about 10 pages, until you get consideration...
Tue 5 Nov 2019 6:37 PM by Caemma
Goforit wrote:
Wed 30 Oct 2019 11:22 AM
Think, you first have to write about 10 pages, until you get consideration...

This is really sad.
Tue 5 Nov 2019 6:38 PM by Riac
Caemma wrote:
Sun 27 Oct 2019 9:59 PM
I see you guys (@Staff) are working on keep takes & zerg management according to today announcement...

Can you please also take a look into the smallman population, pretty please?

not sure why they are bothering to even work on that stuff. those ppl are going to zerg no matter what, they dont need an incentive.
Fri 15 Nov 2019 11:12 PM by LionsGateFilms
I truly hope that this rework of the solo incentive works out, the main problem with solo zones isnt that there is noone in there, but that half groups and full groups of all realms will go in those areas and wipe anyone in them. leaving players who like to solo and try their mights with timing and skill instead of zerging down opponents all the time. The solo community here for the most part play on a set of untold rules/guidelines that cannot be purged out of the gameplay, nor should it be. saw the anger of alb stealth zerg fighting mids and hibs stealthers because they were destroying the solo/duo's that were in play. from what i heard the gm's sought to stop it by threatening a ban on those mids who participated in assisting the hibs to take out the alb stealth group.
this is rediculous nonsense, not only does mid have a MAJOR handicap in stealth gameplay (constant SB nerfs and stealth changes that favor alb and hib) but you wanted to silence the solo community who respect 1v1 fights? doing actions like that will dwindle the community faster and make people not want to play. ( i already have reduced my gametime due to the massive favor of other realms vs mid sneaks) its bad enough a rr3 ns can out dmg a rr7 sb but a rr7 sb cant compete with a rr10 same realm point difference, cant deny the bias and unbalance to truly keep SB's as the underdog.
the point is this, when you have stealth zergs in groups of 8 killing anyone in their way do you truly need to blame the 5 people teaming up with another realm (in respect without comms or words) to take out the 8+ losers who dont respect 1v1 2v1? you can only die so many times to that group looking for a decent fight before you decided to F it and log out for the night. so for me if i had the oppertunity to team up with a few hibs to take out a fg of alb sneaks i would do it in a heartbeat because obviously when u constantly solo 8v1 sucks a huge D. dont punish those few who respect the solo game, give the solo game its space like intended, improve it, so 8v1's wont happen in that area. so people can actually test their skill. thats what makes it fun. and please work on balance with sneaks.
Mon 18 Nov 2019 8:55 AM by Sepplord
this thread is from the summer, if the cahnges haven'T worked out it won'T suddenly change now...

and i bet you have confused something ingame. "teaming" up with one realm against the third isn't a bannable offense and i doubt anyone was threatened with a ban for that
Wed 20 Nov 2019 12:07 AM by Goforit
Well actually there are solo areas. People just dont use them. So blame the people!
Only thing, i can think at, would be some hastener there. Without, its really painful.
Wed 20 Nov 2019 8:31 AM by Lux.Thoras
Goforit wrote:
Wed 20 Nov 2019 12:07 AM
Well actually there are solo areas. People just dont use them. So blame the people!
Only thing, i can think at, would be some hastener there. Without, its really painful.

Did you ever look to this Areas ? This is only an area for Melee´s. Everything what needs Range, cannot go there.
Also as Melee, to fight inside those "pseudo" Keeps, it is not really funny.

Same for Small Man areas, if a small man is in this area, most of the time, you get killed by one full Group or more. For example the small man area in Hib is directly in front of the most favorite Raid Target -> NGED Tower.

I like the Idea to have those Areas for Small Man and Solos, but the actual solution does not really work.
Wed 20 Nov 2019 11:36 AM by Goforit
I agree that its preferably for melees. I have no problem with it, bec i wouldnt do solo with a caster.
So what you need for caster solo? A wide open field? Where you can farm melees with stun nuke nuke or kiting? Doesnt look very interesting.
I dont really know what you could improve there. You dont have to fight inside the keep, you can pull people out if you want.

Any suggestions for improvement?
Wed 20 Nov 2019 1:48 PM by Lux.Thoras
I do not have any suggestions for improvements which are realistic or feasible. At the moment, i have to take it as it is.
Also i do not want to have a plain area only, as you said, this would be worse too.

Edit:
The only idea i have is like a Solo or Small Man (max 4 people) Battleground where you can port into. As in the other Battlegrounds, it can be a bigger Area with Hills and plains and also possibly a small Tower, i don´t know.
Wed 20 Nov 2019 2:05 PM by Sepplord
while that does sound also appealing to a smallmanner like me, it would also take away smallmans from RvR

The daoc RvR picture is very diverse and, yes, while it leads to number-won fights quite often it also offers a lot of variety through adds and adding. There's a reason the tournament NPC never really took off and it isn't just because they really just want to stomp smallmen and soloers

Imo a similar thing to the GvG and cleanfight command the 8mans use, would also be worth a try for smallmen. It would let a smallman broadcast where they are roaming and make it possible to see where other smallmen are cruising.
Yeah, it might make a 6man smallmen chase the 4man around until they remove themselves of the list but i still believe it would be better to let different groupsizes queue into it than to limit it to a fixed size like 4 or 5
Wed 20 Nov 2019 2:26 PM by Lux.Thoras
I know what you mean and from that point of view I fully agree to that.
The Problem what I see to Solo´s and SmallMan is at the moment:
If you do not have Speed 6, in the SmallMan, you are fucked, because every full Grp or Zerg will catch and kill you. If there would be a SmallMan Battleground this would not happen.

But yes, something similar to the gvg would be also interesting.
Thu 21 Nov 2019 12:19 AM by Goforit
I think they dont want an additional battleground. This was already discussed. You draw out people of standard rvr zone, and you kill the foodchain
solo<smallman<8man. Thats what some people said.
I cant see any reasons against a gvg command for smallmen.
Sun 24 Nov 2019 3:25 PM by Caemma
The /smallman command would solve lots of frustration for who likes to smallman, without having to "trap them" inside a labirinth.
And the success of the current event (5v5) and the one before (3v3) shows that running in smallman is something that people likes too, other than allows different setups/classes..

It wouldn't really require much efforts/special things, i.e. something like this could work already:

/smallman toggle - register/unregister your group of 1,2,3,4,5 players on the smallman list
/smallman - shows any other registered smallman and their current zone, separated & ordered by group size

That would already let people know if there are other smallman running around, and where... so that they can at least try to find each other... or know if there is nobody out there.
The /smallman cleanfight could convince more smallman to actually toggle it (instead of just smallman without registring your group), but i would be already happy if there was the just command itself.

Maybe a rvr task that count how many registred groups you killed (while your group is registred) would incentivate more groups (/gvg too) to use such tools.
But again, this is not entirely necessary.
Sun 24 Nov 2019 3:32 PM by Uthred
Patch Notes: 2019-11-24 Sunday

new experimental /fairfight command for solos and small man up to 5 players, similar to the already existing /gvg command
- /fairfight toggle - toggle being listed as looking for fair fights
- /fairfight list - shows a list of people flagged as looking for fair fights
- solos only see other solos, groups see their group size +- 1
- you cannot toggle / list and you are not shown in the list if you were in a too large group within the last 10 minutes or any group at all in case of solo
Sun 24 Nov 2019 3:36 PM by Caemma
Uthred wrote:
Sun 24 Nov 2019 3:32 PM

new experimental /fairfight command for solos and small man up to 5 players, similar to the already existing /gvg command
- you cannot toggle / list and you are not shown in the list if you were in a too large group within the last 10 minutes or any group at all in case of solo
Ahahah, oh my.
I can't believe it, seems like a joke, I literally wrote that post 20 minutes after the patch... and now I see the patch notes!

Thanks for it, that was fast!
<3
Sun 24 Nov 2019 4:20 PM by Azuell
Uthred wrote:
Sun 24 Nov 2019 3:32 PM

I would like to take the time to praise the Phoenix staff on this glorious Sunday.
Sun 24 Nov 2019 8:45 PM by Goforit
nice nice, that came fast
Mon 25 Nov 2019 9:20 PM by BisbyHoughton
Anybody got any feedback to share with regards to how the new solo/small-man function is working?
Fri 29 Nov 2019 8:09 PM by Chihuahua
The list itself kinda meh tbh, not used widely yet. However solo zones are quite active at EU times now - usually hib solo zone.
Tue 3 Dec 2019 8:43 AM by Razur Ur
And where is /fairfight player Clean?
Sat 1 Feb 2020 4:14 PM by necrolove1
gruenesschaf wrote:

Not to make the game like live, but I smallman A LOT. one of the best things they ever did to incentivise smallmaning was introducing the Box/rubble supply quests. it brought action to EV towns and maze towers and there was many solos / smallman patrolling these areas. ( of course there's gonna be an 8man trying to get in on the fun from time to time just the way the game is.)

These quests can give a small amount of feathers or RP or both. make the turn in location a non campable area. This also gives people something to do if they can't get a group, keeps the mind busy and people logged in.

Maybe the quests can also have an RVR incentive, turned in at keeps to level them up faster? dunno how that would go coding wize, but and extra suggestion.
Sun 2 Feb 2020 2:46 AM by Frigzy
Seems like a good idea. Just don't give RPs for a quest like that. It's an insult to DAoC RvR.

Feathers would nice.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics