Friar's abusing Reflex Attack 5.

Started 16 Apr 2019
by thanatosdaoc
in Ask the Team
Friars are abusing Reflex Attack 5 in RvR/PvP to win 100% of melee engagements. (Reflex Attack 5 passive Merc/Bm/Zerk gets that on level 5 gives a 50% chance of doing a unstyled attack back at the person/persons attacking you in melee)

This passive RA is nothing to be scared of when used by Zerkers/Mercs/Bms, it simply doesn't do enough damage to be worth the points, and besides that it's cheesy as F' - But on a Friar it becomes a overpowered weapon they we're never suppose to have. When I slam a Friar on my BM and beat on him til slam is done - I will be close to dead because of the 300-400+ dmg unstyled swings he gets from using a low-speed staff 2H / The damage a Friar can do with Reflex Attack 5 is 3x the damage a zerk/merc/bm can do, it isn't balanced and I've seen Friars pull entire camps of blue/yellow mobs pulls with over 40+ mobs and kill them all with Reflex Attack, making them by FAR the best solo PVE' in the game if you have just abit of RP's. Making a class like that impossible to take down on a melee is making the game unbalanced. Either remove Reflex Attack completely from the game or in the very least' remove it from Friars - they are VERY strong as it is, giving them a passive 50% chance when struck by enemy in melee ''damage-shield'' that does 300+ damage is just insanely stupid.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:13 AM by Dominus
yep, nerf that shiz
Tue 16 Apr 2019 5:54 AM by teiloh
thanatosdaoc wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:50 AM
This passive RA is nothing to be scared of when used by Zerkers/Mercs/Bms, it simply doesn't do enough damage to be worth the points, and besides that it's cheesy as F' - But on a Friar it becomes a overpowered weapon they we're never suppose to have. When I slam a Friar on my BM and beat on him til slam is done - I will be close to dead because of the 300-400+ dmg unstyled swings he gets from using a low-speed staff 2H / The damage a Friar can do with Reflex Attack 5 is 3x the damage a zerk/merc/bm can do, it isn't balanced and I've seen Friars pull entire camps of blue/yellow mobs pulls with over 40+ mobs and kill them all with Reflex Attack, making them by FAR the best solo PVE' in the game if you have just abit of RP's. Making a class like that impossible to take down on a melee is making the game unbalanced. Either remove Reflex Attack completely from the game or in the very least' remove it from Friars - they are VERY strong as it is, giving them a passive 50% chance when struck by enemy in melee ''damage-shield'' that does 300+ damage is just insanely stupid.

A 2H Zerk will outdamage a Friar even w/o Vendo.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:54 AM by Druth
Is someone angry that friars total about 1-3 chars on top 250 rps/weekly?

Not saying it doesn't sound broken, but why even bother? Are friars dominating RvR with this ability?
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:29 AM by Dindelion
thanatosdaoc wrote:
Friars are abusing Reflex Attack 5 in RvR/PvP to win 100% of melee engagements. (Reflex Attack 5 passive Merc/Bm/Zerk gets that on level 5 gives a 50% chance of doing a unstyled attack back at the person/persons attacking you in melee)

BDs are impossible to take down on a melee
Necros are impossible to take down on a melee
-> Should we remove them too ?

Also, light tanks can "abuse" (or I'd say use... because what you described is just the point of this RA you know ?) just as good as the friar. You might want to take a visit in the Video subsection, and click on any Natebrunner thread for some hilarious 20s annihiliation.

I don't know in what world friar are VERY strong as it is, as a lot of classes can kite them (yeah and if your class can't, it's not a solo game btw). Also, kiting them makes those 30 points spent in this RA useless too.

I don't know why but I feel like OP is a stealther.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:45 AM by Lillebror
Try read, he state when he slam a Friar on his BM.

This sounds unbalanced, but alot is and it seems its intended
Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:21 AM by Druth
Lillebror wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:45 AM
This sounds unbalanced, but alot is and it seems its intended

Excactly, all powers has to be seen in a broader context.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:24 AM by Riac
Dindelion wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:29 AM
thanatosdaoc wrote:

BDs are impossible to take down on a melee
Necros are impossible to take down on a melee
-> Should we remove them too ?

glad you asked lol. yes, we should remove them too. also anis.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:44 AM by kiectred
thanatosdaoc wrote:

I love how the first thing you say is that it's not a problem on the class that YOU play. Congratulations, I've never seen such an incredibly unbiased opinion

If you're getting hit for 300-400 as a BM you're untemped and/or unbuffed, which wouldn't surprise me considering how much time you spend ganking greys and levelers in Snowdonia. Also, 40+ blue/yellow mobs? That's as wildly exaggerated as your claim that as a BM you're getting hit for almost 400 on an unstyled attack.

Game unbalanced? How many friars even have the RRs to get reflex 5 compared to how well BMs are doing in realm points? Friars are very strong as is? How about the fact that one of the highest mDPS classes in the game gets a 9sec anytime stun, oh and by the way they get triple wield, too. Lets give zerks shield slam, too. You're at an instant I-win if purge is down and even if purge is up you're likely to win, again, especially considering how often you go after lowbies.

I guess the TL;DR is sorry you lost a fight to one of the biggest underperformers in grouped RvR. Maybe stick to your strengths and avoid anyone that's not XPing on green-con mobs.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:27 AM by Blitze
I have reflex5, it’s a lot of points and powerful in certain situations and useless in many ... against DWers it’s best and it does 2-300 dmg against hib leather that’s weak to blunt.

Reflex attack has always been a friar thing (more so than other classes)... it was even an active in old RAs I think for friars.

If you think friars with reflex are close to the best pvers. Then you haven’t seen cabas or necros.

Also friars make a negligible difference to RvR as they are unpopular and don’t get RPs fast.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:57 PM by Lev
I think removing reflex attack from the least played class in RvR is not even an option.
still you can argue about it beeing active while stunned. this seems worthy of a discussion.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:25 PM by kiectred
Lev wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:57 PM
I think removing reflex attack from the least played class in RvR is not even an option.
still you can argue about it beeing active while stunned. this seems worthy of a discussion.

I was a bit surprised that it worked while stunned but it also kinda makes sense. It's a reflex, implying a certain level of involuntary/unconscious action in response to an attack. I dunno, just a thought... and it helps to not be totally helpless while being beat on for 8-9 seconds if purge is down. Imo, almost all stuns are a bit too long but that's another discussion entirely.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:20 PM by Mavella
I have no issue with this RA in theory but it probably shouldn't work while stunned or from all angles when behind the target. It should also probably have an ICD tied to weapon speed like previously mentioned. This is a damage shield on steroids and its obvious people are catching on to how strong it can be in a solo/smallman setting.

I don't think this is anything friar specific but this RA probably needs some minor tweaks.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:06 PM by Ardri
thanatosdaoc wrote:

I bet you're that guy in PvE who keeps hitting the boss mob when it has damage return shield up. You die via sudoku*, then complain to your healers that you never got heals.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:23 PM by Bradekes
Ardri wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:06 PM
I bet you're that guy in PvE who keeps hitting the boss mob when it has damage return shield up. You die via sudoku*, then complain to your healers that you never got heals.

seppuku?? I hope..
Sudoku almost made me wanna perform seppuku once.. Look up swordfish method and try to understand that s***...
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:26 PM by Ardri
Bradekes wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:23 PM
Ardri wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:06 PM

seppuku??

thatsthejoke.jpg
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:29 PM by Horus
Should not work while stunned. That is the only issue. Make Friars etc have to purge like everyone else.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:05 PM by Callofduty
If RA is working whilst stunned then that's a bug and you should submit a bug report
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:07 PM by Sharky04
I don't think this RA should work while stunned. The word stunned implicates you cannot move.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:59 PM by chryso
And how about we remove shield spec from light tanks while we are at it.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:17 PM by kedelin
This ra has always worked while stunned.... I know on live with my zerker out solo I could easily when against 3 to 4 shitty stealth zergers... quite funny after you kill first one and the next only needs 2 hits
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:31 PM by Budikah
It's 2019 folks. DAoC isn't nor will it ever be balanced for every matchup.

In this instance it's one class, a relatively unpopular one, that has to spec heavily into a single RA for anti-melee capabilities against fast swinging targets.

I'm sure it sucks to be one of those people but the list of things that suck in DAoC is pretty long - from Amnesia and Instamez to Animists setting up ambush traps that essentially auto gib you if you go past a certain point, to partially AFK Bonedancers waltzing around Life Tapping their way out of ridiculous situations.

1v1 balance in DAoC is always going to be a unicorn. Next time go ahead and snare/stun the Friar and put your bow to work if you want to try to 1v1 them and hop in the long line of classes and specs that run into brick walls.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:31 PM by Mavella
kedelin wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:17 PM
This ra has always worked while stunned.... I know on live with my zerker out solo I could easily when against 3 to 4 shitty stealth zergers... quite funny after you kill first one and the next only needs 2 hits

Unfortunately the "that's the way it always worked" isn't an adequate shield from the nerf bat as assassins learned with venom swapping.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:20 PM by Yokahu
Mavella wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:31 PM
kedelin wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:17 PM

Unfortunately the "that's the way it always worked" isn't an adequate shield from the nerf bat as assassins learned with venom swapping.

I don’t think the nerf of env can be compared to a possible RA nerf. Env got out of control due to a custom change done by Phoenix Devs, the /switch macro. The RA realm ability has not been indirectly affected by any custom change... at least none that I can think of.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:30 PM by Dariussdars
Budikah wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:31 PM
It's 2019 folks. DAoC isn't nor will it ever be balanced for every matchup.

In this instance it's one class, a relatively unpopular one, that has to spec heavily into a single RA for anti-melee capabilities against fast swinging targets.

I'm sure it sucks to be one of those people but the list of things that suck in DAoC is pretty long - from Amnesia and Instamez to Animists setting up ambush traps that essentially auto gib you if you go past a certain point, to partially AFK Bonedancers waltzing around Life Tapping their way out of ridiculous situations.

1v1 balance in DAoC is always going to be a unicorn. Next time go ahead and snare/stun the Friar and put your bow to work if you want to try to 1v1 them and hop in the long line of classes and specs that run into brick walls.
You do realize that no BDs actually use high Suppression in RvR, right?
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:39 PM by Mavella
Yokahu wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:20 PM
I don’t think the nerf of env can be compared to a possible RA nerf. Env got out of control due to a custom change done by Phoenix Devs, the /switch macro. The RA realm ability has not been indirectly affected by any custom change... at least none that I can think of.

Well we're also playing at a level where gear and abilities are completely different from the level they were when these reworked RAs were introduced on live. People have less stats, defensive tools, and TTK is completely different here.

We get a showcase of how ridiculous this RA can be multiple times a day with Natebruners uploads in the video section. These are obviously extreme examples but he wouldn't be killing buffed stealthers in 2 combat rounds without the aid of this RA in particular.

I also wholeheartly agree that the /switch command is what made venom swapping over the top but the devs obviously weren't convinced.
Sat 20 Apr 2019 6:17 PM by HtGeist
Would be lovely to see savages with reflex attack..inc 2 hand troll savages... question about reflex attacks..they unstyled hits..can they be blocked/parried etc like normal? and bm 3rd leg dmg add ,adds on reflex attack hits?
Sat 20 Apr 2019 6:23 PM by Bradekes
It's weird that all RA are balanced and do set dmg except this one.. Should just equalize the damage it seems like a no brainer...
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics