Why separate group size in event zones?

Started 15 Apr 2019
by phixion
in Ask the Team
Because what you get is essentially the same, you get people in groups of 3, dominating everyone else.

Unless you plan on making a purely solo zone, then why separate at all?

If there's anything I've learned about human nature, it's that people will do anything to win, so it makes sense that people will take advantage of this by making groups to the max size of the restrictions in place. Some even going beyond and having another 3 man following behind.

When you are solo, a group of 3 might as well be a group of 8 because you ain't gonna survive.

The event zone is a bit of fun now and then, but I just don't understand some of the decisions--Either make a solo zone or just lump everyone in the same area.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:58 AM by LedriTheThane
phixion wrote:
Mon 15 Apr 2019 6:39 PM
Because what you get is essentially the same, you get people in groups of 3, dominating everyone else.

Unless you plan on making a purely solo zone, then why separate at all?

If there's anything I've learned about human nature, it's that people will do anything to win, so it makes sense that people will take advantage of this by making groups to the max size of the restrictions in place. Some even going beyond and having another 3 man following behind.

When you are solo, a group of 3 might as well be a group of 8 because you ain't gonna survive.

The event zone is a bit of fun now and then, but I just don't understand some of the decisions--Either make a solo zone or just lump everyone in the same area.

I 100% agree. I get ran over often solo and contemplate why I even bother trying since the solo option seems pointless. I really recommend making an area like Arbor Glen a solo-only zone.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:02 PM by Amp_Phetamine
I agree. Solo's shouldn't be catered to in terms of class balancing; however, it would be nice during PvP events if there was a solo option available. As others have stated, you really only need two zones: Open pvp zone for everything from small man to 8 man to zerg and a solo zone.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:14 PM by Foofmonger
A solo and duo has a lot more of a chance versus 3 then they do 8?

Daoc is a team game and the 3v3 zone isn't a "solo zone", but a "smallman zone"?

It's that simple?
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:35 PM by phixion
Foofmonger wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:14 PM

Daoc is a team game and the 3v3 zone isn't a "solo zone", but a "smallman zone"?

It's that simple?

Really? Even the creators stated it's for all styles of play, which includes solo.

Too bad there's a bunch of people playing here who can't solo to save their lives and rely on extra numbers to get their RPs.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:42 PM by Lillebror
phixion wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:35 PM
Foofmonger wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:14 PM

It's that simple?

Really? Even the creators stated it's for all styles of play, which includes solo.

Too bad there's a bunch of people playing here who can't solo to save their lives and rely on extra numbers to get their RPs.
Or and OP solo class
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:07 PM by phixion
Lillebror wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:42 PM
Or and OP solo class

Like?

FYI most believe that SBs are the weakest assassin you can play.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 5:42 AM by Lillebror
phixion wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:07 PM
Lillebror wrote:
Or and OP solo class

Like?

I cant say if SB is the weakest or not among the assassins with the Phoenix settings, but your OP vs most other classes.
Thu 18 Apr 2019 8:28 AM by Salidry
Its amazing how there is always someone to cry if things dont go 100% in their favor.

Obviously a solo zone would favor you the most, as a high rank assassin, waiting for some lost wizards or mentalists to come check out the zone. So here you do anything ( aka asking for a solo only zone ) to have higher chances of winning. Human nature ... mmhhh...

Also, your statement is : there will be only 3man roaming. Sure about this? When i did couple runs in the test zone it was not the case. In addition, there will be plenty of opportunities for soloers to kill stuff since the fights will be very messy, healing classes will be less common etc.

Doing a solo only zone and another main zone satisfies obviously less people than doing a smallman zone and a main zone.
Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:28 PM by phixion
Salidry wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019 8:28 AM
Its amazing how there is always someone to cry if things dont go 100% in their favor.

Obviously a solo zone would favor you the most, as a high rank assassin, waiting for some lost wizards or mentalists to come check out the zone. So here you do anything ( aka asking for a solo only zone ) to have higher chances of winning. Human nature ... mmhhh...

Also, your statement is : there will be only 3man roaming. Sure about this? When i did couple runs in the test zone it was not the case. In addition, there will be plenty of opportunities for soloers to kill stuff since the fights will be very messy, healing classes will be less common etc.

Doing a solo only zone and another main zone satisfies obviously less people than doing a smallman zone and a main zone.

Yeah cos naturally, I destroy every other soloer out there. BMs? ez mode! Friars... PUH!!! so ez... Heavy tanks? Don't make me laugh.

This RR? Ez! I was gifted it, I didn't have to do anything to get it. I definitely didn't spend most of my lower RRs getting ripped by NS and Melee Rangers. NOPE!

The eagerness to please groups here is tiring, not once have soloers been taken in to consideration. Why?

There's plenty of zones for grouping and zerging, why can't soloers get thrown a bone?
Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:35 PM by Amp_Phetamine
phixion wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:28 PM
Salidry wrote:

Yeah cos naturally, I destroy every other soloer out there. BMs? ez mode! Friars... PUH!!! so ez... Heavy tanks? Don't make me laugh.

The eagerness to please groups here is tiring, not once have soloers been taken in to consideration. Why?

There's plenty of zones for grouping and zerging, why can't soloers get thrown a bone?

Phixion does have a point here. What harm would a solo zone for the event cause? It's not like solo's are going to be participating in the other zones to a significant degree anyways (least I won't be foolish enough to venture into any grouped area solo).
Thu 18 Apr 2019 2:32 PM by Foofmonger
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:35 PM
phixion wrote:
Salidry wrote:

Phixion does have a point here. What harm would a solo zone for the event cause? It's not like solo's are going to be participating in the other zones to a significant degree anyways (least I won't be foolish enough to venture into any grouped area solo).

The biggest negative is that it would split the population even more then 2 zones will.

Is it really that hard to find 2 other stealthers to group with and do the 3 man zone? Or just go solo on your stealther and add in on fights?

Considering I've seen both of those happen numerous times in the test, I'm going to say no. You can still solo pretty easily on a stealther in the 3 man zone, and if you're good you may be able to pull off some 1v3, 1v2s vs some of the 3 mans roaming around. Or you could be smart and pick your battles and wait for people to be engaged and try to pick a target off and vanish.

I'm not against having a solo event by the way, I'm just trying to point out that the current event is good as it is and soloers can still participate just fine. Maybe at some other point in time they can do a solo only event, but why don't we all wait and see how this goes when its actually in action and not a test before we cry that this particular event isnt 100% what every single player wants (because it can never be).
Thu 18 Apr 2019 2:43 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Foofmonger wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019 2:32 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:35 PM
phixion wrote:

The biggest negative is that it would split the population even more then 2 zones will.

Is it really that hard to find 2 other stealthers to group with and do the 3 man zone? Or just go solo on your stealther and add in on fights?

Considering I've seen both of those happen numerous times in the test, I'm going to say no. You can still solo pretty easily on a stealther in the 3 man zone, and if you're good you may be able to pull off some 1v3, 1v2s vs some of the 3 mans roaming around. Or you could be smart and pick your battles and wait for people to be engaged and try to pick a target off and vanish.

I'm not against having a solo event by the way, I'm just trying to point out that the current event is good as it is and soloers can still participate just fine. Maybe at some other point in time they can do a solo only event, but why don't we all wait and see how this goes when its actually in action and not a test before we cry that this particular event isnt 100% what every single player wants (because it can never be).

Oh absolutely, and in regards to certain aspects I'm in agreement on both sides. I'll be checking out the 1-3 spot this weekend solo and may even pop in with two others. But the population splitting is negligible because we'd have what? 50+ players (and that's highly optimistic) going to the solo zone? Those same 50 will just do what we normally do outside of the event parameters. Stealthers have a better chance of roaming around the 1-3 zone then I would per-say but it's also my choice to predominantly roam solo and as such I'm not requesting the Dev's to cater to my decision. I'm just pointing out that including a pure solo area wouldn't really cause any harm, nor would it have much of an impact on the event population as the solo'ers (90% or more in my opinion) won't be participating to a significant degree in any case.

That being said I'm very pleased with the Phoenix staff to host an event and look forward to performing in it to the best of my capability
Thu 18 Apr 2019 4:08 PM by phixion
We have to remember, this is an event, not a permanent fixture.

How many times do you think a soloer is willing to be run over by 3 mans before they just go back to regular old RvR zones?
Thu 18 Apr 2019 4:29 PM by BTFD
phixion wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019 4:08 PM
We have to remember, this is an event, not a permanent fixture.

How many times do you think a soloer is willing to be run over by 3 mans before they just go back to regular old RvR zones?

I gave up after 1 run solo on visi and no speed.. Pointless
Thu 18 Apr 2019 4:31 PM by BTFD
The initial test where 8mans got split up; now that was fun)
Thu 18 Apr 2019 6:53 PM by tweedledumb99
phixion wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 9:07 PM
Lillebror wrote:
Or and OP solo class

Like?

I main an NS and hero, and Phixion has handed me my ass on the hero, but that's through skill - SB for sure is the least powerful of the three assassin classes and a middling solo class generally.

Exceptional players are exceptional, hence the name, so ill thank dull people in advance for not saying stuff like "but _____-player does really well on an SB therefore its an OP class!!1"
Thu 18 Apr 2019 9:15 PM by Numatic
Non stealth soloers never really got anything from mythic. It's always catered to groups which sucks because my playtime is extremely sporadic. I may have to afk for 5-15 minutes several times over the course of 2-3 hours. I cant group like that. Sometimes it's more sometimes it's less. Yesterday I had to afk pretty much after every death in rvr for several minutes. I try to make the best of it but it's a real downer that the solo gameplay in daoc has devolved and not evolved.
Thu 18 Apr 2019 9:36 PM by shintacki
Yeah you really cant solo in this event as a nonstealther. In my experience I was either jumped by a stealther 5 seconds after porting or lived long enough to be chased down by a 3man. But then again, soloing as a non stealth class in the frontier is pretty terrible. Im actually looking forward to running the frontier while the event is going on, maybe Ill stand a better chance at getting fair fights.
Fri 19 Apr 2019 10:18 PM by Ashman
y cry?
still plenty of solo wizards n green/blues leaving apk to farm 20h a day
Fri 19 Apr 2019 11:39 PM by Fugax
hibs already started to roll 6 mans, by just running next to each other as they are a guild. rip pvp event!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics