A discussion about the streaming delay of 10 minutes.

Started 17 Feb 2019
by MisterCotton
in Ask the Team
I'm a very interactive streamer, I think anyone that has seen me would agree.

I've streamed phoenix daily for 4 weeks.

I've had great interactions, and honestly believe I've brought players to phoenix, I constantly get asked how to sign up and play phoenix, which i can easily do because I do not run a delay. That was stopped today.

All recent polls including all normal players have shown that OVER HALF of polled players DO NOT WANT A DELAY************* . You claim you are listening to your players but you are ignoring this.

Why are still enforcing a delay? 10 minutes is literally ridiculous.

Anytime I join a group I ask to make sure everyone is OK with me streaming. I never run in BGs or Zergs. Why can't me any my group run with no delay if we don't want to?

I obviously will not be promoting Phoenix anymore as I cannot stream it.

***********(AMEND 38% want no delay, 25% want 10 minutes, 18% want 5 minutes, 10% want less than 5 minutes, 8% want longer than 10 minutes) Its obvious 10 minutes is not wanted by the population. I want to also point out this from the forums.... traditionally the more hardcore players come the forums, even as a hardcore DAOC player for 18 years I never check postcount or daoc forums - times are different)

Changed the title to be a bit less accusing.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:30 AM by Turtle006
The current poll on the forum has 38% (74 votes) of 194 players in favour of no delay. That is a far cry from half of all players, that is barely 2% of 3500 hundred players. Where are you getting your numbers from?
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:34 AM by MisterCotton
Turtle006 wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:30 AM
The current poll on the forum has 38% (74 votes) of 194 players in favour of no delay. That is a far cry from half of all players, that is barely 2% of 3500 hundred players. Where are you getting your numbers from?

The initial delay was put in from a poll of people during the beta, clearly a more hardcore audience. Obviously you cannot poll all active players (same as an election) 38% is clearly the majority of the vote if you look at the other numbers

edit: I believe in a delay regarding relic raids and if the leader of the group/BG leader requests it. Otherwise it should be the groups discretion
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:38 AM by Turtle006
MisterCotton wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:22 AM
All recent polls including all normal players have shown that OVER HALF of polled players DO NOT WANT A DELAY. You claim you are listening to your players but you are ignoring this.

This is blatantly false, 62% of players in the active poll are saying some sort of delay is good.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:43 AM by Jafeeio
Your group does not exist in a vacuum.

You will pass by soloers without speed, smallmen groups with less than speed 6, levelers, all of whom can easily be targetted by just watching your stream, and that is one of the reasons devs are enforcing a delay in RvR.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:45 AM by MisterCotton
Turtle006 wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:38 AM
MisterCotton wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:22 AM
All recent polls including all normal players have shown that OVER HALF of polled players DO NOT WANT A DELAY. You claim you are listening to your players but you are ignoring this.

This is blatantly false, 62% of players in the active poll are saying some sort of delay is good.

I amended my statement.

As I said in my amendment: (AMEND 38% want no delay, 25% want 10 minutes, 18% want 5 minutes, 10% want less than 5 minutes, 8% want longer than 10 minutes) Its obvious 10 minutes is not wanted by the population. I want to also point out this from the forums.... traditionally the more hardcore players come the forums, even as a hardcore DAOC player for 18 years I never check postcount or daoc forums - times are different)
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:51 AM by MisterCotton
Jafeeio wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:43 AM
Your group does not exist in a vacuum.

You will pass by soloers without speed, smallmen groups with less than speed 6, levelers, all of whom can easily be targetted by just watching your stream, and that is one of the reasons devs are enforcing a delay in RvR.

That's ridiculous imo, unless you are within range of the group streaming, seeing a target in someones stream that they passed and then travelling and locating them is not realistic.

i honestly don't believe stream sniping is that prevalent, especially in the daoc community...

TBH as someone who admits they have used radar (i'm open about this, I obviously dont use it anymore) it is much easier to use a third party program instead of a STREAM to hunt people down.

ridiculous and paranoia
Sun 17 Feb 2019 4:43 AM by Pops999
How would someone watching your stream know it's delayed or care unless they wanted to use the info. The delay should stand.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 4:53 AM by MisterCotton
Pops999 wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 4:43 AM
How would someone watching your stream know it's delayed or care unless they wanted to use the info. The delay should stand.

Wow. It's very obvious you know absolutely nothing about streaming.

Streaming is not just the game, it's the interaction. It's not like youre watching a YouTube video or a TV show.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:55 AM by sabyrtuth
All for the delay, we don't need spies.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 9:36 AM by The Skies Asunder
The paranoia is real in here apparently. I don't think the delay is needed, and it could even bring more players to the game if people could promote the server in a fun way.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 11:02 AM by Citian
Lol how dense can you get? There's a delay because it's a tactical game. E.g. position is critical and you're giving it away on something that anyone from any realm can log into: it's stupid. Get over your streaming channel and go to a different game ffs.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 11:59 AM by Patron
I like any form of bringing more player to phoenix.
But a delay is a must streamingwise and even i cannot follow the argue for no delay, you should keep up your streams.
For promo the delay have no impact, right?
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:17 PM by Numatic
Unfortunately it's one of those things that CAN be exploited without a delay. I think 10mins may be a bit harsh but it does need a delay. I'm sure the OP is genuine in his sincerity but the fact remains is that you cant trust everyone to play by the rules.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:50 PM by MisterCotton
Citian wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 11:02 AM
Lol how dense can you get? There's a delay because it's a tactical game. E.g. position is critical and you're giving it away on something that anyone from any realm can log into: it's stupid. Get over your streaming channel and go to a different game ffs.

Lol, position on roaming emain with this many people is "tactical"? that's a joke.

I genuinely believe it is not work watching someone's stream and positioning yourself to gank them. That would be incredibly challenging to actually pull off.

Also, good strategy in tell someone that doesn't agree with you to leave the game. That'll always sustain the health of a game /s
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:55 PM by MisterCotton
Numatic wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:17 PM
Unfortunately it's one of those things that CAN be exploited without a delay. I think 10mins may be a bit harsh but it does need a delay. I'm sure the OP is genuine in his sincerity but the fact remains is that you cant trust everyone to play by the rules.

I appreciate your kindness in your reply

I have played a week in rvr without delay and days without streaming it. I saw zero change in fights, hits, wins and loses.

TBH it actually felt like we got the drop on most fights while I was streaming

It's one of those things that feels right but isn't:

You shouldn't stream because people will use your video to their advantage = you should lock your doors to prevent break-ins

Both are not true.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:56 PM by MisterCotton
Patron wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 11:59 AM
I like any form of bringing more player to phoenix.
But a delay is a must streamingwise and even i cannot follow the argue for no delay, you should keep up your streams.
For promo the delay have no impact, right?

I have seen it have no impact myself.

Edit: I have had people message me to say they thought it was cool they were on stream or saw my run by. Streaming brings more than myself joy
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:05 PM by MisterCotton
The Skies Asunder wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 9:36 AM
The paranoia is real in here apparently. I don't think the delay is needed, and it could even bring more players to the game if people could promote the server in a fun way.

Totally agree, I think the paranoia, elitism, and unfortunately age go hand in hand. I knew this would be an issue streaming Dark Age of Camelot as the game was huge before streaming became a thing.

To check out a game I don't just jump in, I look at streams. I look at whose play, how many and then I interact with the streamer to see what they think and to get tips and pointers for beginning.

Legit thinking about taking hours and making a montage of people asking if they should play Phoenix, how to start, and pointers for beginning.

Shit I wouldn't be able to do with a 10 minute delay

Edit: I want to add that these are the casual types of players that do not come to forums, this is the community the polls and forum conversations miss. Times have changed, while I love Phoenix, look at how much interaction is on the forums compared to the size of the player base.

People are casual now.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 3:24 PM by Uthred
No plans on changing it atm. Said it a billion times before. Thanks.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics