Any chance of Hunters getting some love?

Started 20 Dec 2018
by Siouxsie
in Ask the Team
Hi,

I've always loved playing hunter, but the hunter pet hits like a wet rag. With the melee damage nerf and the spec AF charge buffs already making the pet only hit for like, 29, the pet is also very slow. It would be nice if we could actually compete. Perhaps add proc disease to the hunter's pet? Or make them faster so they can actually chase people down? (They're supposed to!) and maybe have them hit for some decent amount? Spear damage is already pretty low, and a minstrel can charm a pet that can hit for 150-200. Is there any chance of Hunters actually getting some boost to make them playable in RVR?

Thanks.
Thu 20 Dec 2018 12:24 PM by jenskamen
Well rangers and scouts dont even have a pet.
Hunter has pet
Scout has shield
Ranger has dmg add buff

Im not sure how viable it is in frontier zones but as hunter you can also charm insects up to level 50 if im not mistaken
Thu 20 Dec 2018 12:46 PM by Mancave
Hunters are definitely the weakest archer and cannot 1v1 well.
Thu 20 Dec 2018 1:01 PM by Siouxsie
jenskamen wrote:
Thu 20 Dec 2018 12:24 PM
Hunter has pet
Scout has shield
Ranger has dmg add buff

Im not sure how viable it is in frontier zones but as hunter you can also charm insects up to level 50 if im not mistaken

Scout can slam -- this is a great advantage in melee, and they have slowest bow so best crit shots in game
Rangers have dual wield in melee which makes them incredibly powerful meleers
Hunters get a pet that is weak, can be outrun, and can't damage, ,plus spear damage that is sub-par.

Clearly hunters got the worst combinations. Sure, the pet can interrupt, but any decent caster can root or mezz the pet as it slowly and painfully makes its way to the caster.
Thu 20 Dec 2018 1:29 PM by jenskamen
So i take it not really an option / no option to charm insects in the FZ? (i have really no clue if there are any good and at multiple locations so its viable)
Fri 21 Dec 2018 7:11 PM by SuperNerd739
The theme of Hunter class is super appealing, but how they play in DAOC doesn't appeal to me. Like in Classic WoW, my fav toon is Hunter and I spend most of my talent points into pet spec, which makes my pet extremely powerful. I love the play style. DAOC does not offer that option =(
Mon 24 Dec 2018 4:26 PM by Siouxsie
jenskamen wrote:
Thu 20 Dec 2018 1:29 PM
So i take it not really an option / no option to charm insects in the FZ? (i have really no clue if there are any good and at multiple locations so its viable)

It depends. The Cathal Valley mobs were all demons and uncharmable (Hunters can only charm "animals" or "insects" there were neither of those in CV)
The big problem is hunters can only charm mobs up to 82% of their level, so level 41 pet is highest you can go. This makes the pet pretty weak anyway.
Wed 26 Dec 2018 5:54 PM by inoeth
You can only charm green mobs, the lvl 32 avatar is blue so it is always slightly stronger.
I dont get why anyone would actually charm a pet xD
Also there are no pet available for hunters which have any special ability like heal or stun
Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:47 AM by inoeth
Siouxsie wrote:
Mon 15 Apr 2019 5:56 AM
inoeth wrote:
Wed 26 Dec 2018 5:54 PM
You can only charm green mobs, the lvl 32 avatar is blue so it is always slightly stronger.
I dont get why anyone would actually charm a pet xD
Also there are no pet available for hunters which have any special ability like heal or stun

Not entirely true. Hunter can charm a lvl 17 arachite priest mob in Gna Faste that can heal (it's about as useful as a lvl 18/24 BD heal pet) ... it also provides a +AF buff that stacks with the Hunter's self buff.

The highest level pet a Hunter can charm is lvl 41 which isn't great. Would have been better if Hunter could charm red pets like a minstrel.

i was obviously talking about rvr there
Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:11 AM by Leandrys
Maybe Phoenix's charge RA on the pet each minute, or something like that. Could be a nice addition.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:12 AM by Lillebror
Siouxsie wrote:
Mon 24 Dec 2018 4:26 PM
jenskamen wrote:
Thu 20 Dec 2018 1:29 PM

It depends. The Cathal Valley mobs were all demons and uncharmable (Hunters can only charm "animals" or "insects" there were neither of those in CV)
The big problem is hunters can only charm mobs up to 82% of their level, so level 41 pet is highest you can go. This makes the pet pretty weak anyway.

On top of that is all mobs that get charmed get nerfed as soon they are charmed
Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:22 PM by Joc
After playing a hunter I do think that bow damage is about right. The problem is that the pet really is weak. I'm not asking for a crazy amount of damage, but maybe an enrage on the pet, run speed increase on pet, or a moderate disease % chance proc. Definitely not all of those, but one or 2 or those could bring them back to par with the other 2 archers.

Bow is very very tricky to balance. If it goes even slightly too high (and again I think its about perfect right now) it really causes huge imbalance in the small scale rvr. The identity of the hunter seems to be the pet. The problem is that the pet is extremely situational at best.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 2:11 PM by HtGeist
Call a spade a spade the pet blows donkey d.. had it in the back of a orange mob i was melee'ing too out of 10 attacks it hit once..for 32dmg..33 bc spec using the 32 so called best pet..it was even str/con buffed cos pve..and its not anormal for it to whiff 60% of the attacks even from the back of mobs..that and crap dmg..self buffs lower then rangers etc..it adds up.

Side note wonder if we mcould keep uppland clear of the throng of nightshades rangers and petstrells,if mids didnt have the 2 weakest stealthers..i hear sb might get good around rr7 but who would suck it up until then?
Mon 15 Apr 2019 2:46 PM by Expfighter
Siouxsie wrote:
Thu 20 Dec 2018 1:01 PM
jenskamen wrote:
Thu 20 Dec 2018 12:24 PM
Hunter has pet
Scout has shield
Ranger has dmg add buff

Scout can slam -- this is a great advantage in melee, and they have slowest bow so best crit shots in game
Rangers have dual wield in melee which makes them incredibly powerful meleers
Hunters get a pet that is weak, can be outrun, and can't damage, ,plus spear damage that is sub-par.

Clearly hunters got the worst combinations. Sure, the pet can interrupt, but any decent caster can root or mezz the pet as it slowly and painfully makes its way to the caster.

Slam gets purged 99.99999999% of the time, so slam is not a fair argument, you cannot purge a pet, you cannot purge dw and the dmg add!

Next please!
Mon 15 Apr 2019 6:18 PM by Horus
It's been proven via testing that hunter + pet does as much damage as rangers w/dmg add

Hunters have the bonus of being able use a dmg add charge...no "pet" charge for rangers.

Pets also can interrupt. Ranger have no interrupt ability like that.

Slam is an " I win" for scouts unless purge happens to be up. Also with shield and the ability to get Master Of Blocking they still have a good chance of winning or stringing the fight out long enough for help to arrive.

In general, I think all archers are balanced against each other in melee. The bow spec line needs to be tweaked. Just needs to scale better. Composite Spec between 50 to 60 should have a more dramatic increase in dmg..even if it means lowering the dmg at 50 composite.

That and stealth detection needs to be normalized. No penalty.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:07 PM by Tillbeast
Horus wrote:
Mon 15 Apr 2019 6:18 PM
It's been proven via testing that hunter + pet does as much damage as rangers w/dmg add

Hunters have the bonus of being able use a dmg add charge...no "pet" charge for rangers.

Slam is an " I win" for scouts unless purge happens to be up. Also with shield and the ability to get Master Of Blocking they still have a good chance of winning or stringing the fight out long enough for help to arrive.

In general, I think all archers are balanced against each other in melee. The bow spec line needs to be tweaked. Just needs to scale better. Composite Spec between 50 to 60 should have a more dramatic increase in dmg..even if it means lowering the dmg at 50 composite.

The pet is aweful. On paper yes it looks useful but its way to slow to be useful for anything bar being a crowd controllable damage add when already in melee. If you are in melee its an instant dam add but with a 2 min cd as its released once fight is over (unless multiple opponents). As an interrupt tool its again useless due to its speed. Its not worth speccing beastcraft at all if your an alchemist, the speed shout is useful but easily broken. The pet needs to be able to move at a speed quicker than a normal sprinting player but not be able to keep up with healer/sorc speed. The hunter at the moment is the poor cousin of the 3 archer classes, the scout is the best pure archer whilst the ranger is hands down the best all rounder. The hunter is poor in comparison, yes we can hit hard as a ranger with his dam add and with our pet but a 2h spear/sword is suicide vs any class with lots of evade and this is where the ranger wins out big style...against a non evade class a ranger/hunter is pretty equal but once you start facing evade class's the hunter struggles. However that's the disadvantage of two handed weapons it is more important our class defining ability is brought up to parity with a scouts shield. Stealth detection should be normalised I agree.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:56 PM by stinsfire
Hello Devs,

will you ever answer anything concerning archers? You made a statement a long time ago that you are looking into changes and never ever made a statement about archers again and started to completely ignore any archer topics.

I am tired of writing my suggestions and thoughts into the new "Will you ever buff archers?" thread every week just for it to be ignored.

And yes.. please make pets useful. give them proc or speed or both or whatever.. I posted detailled ideas about what is wrong with the hunter and archer in general. If you are interested in that check my profile.

But for gods sake.. stop ignoring these threads.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 9:15 PM by Tool73
Lets see: Scout got love cause of reduced imun stun timer, so they can slam 2 times in a single fight (if clever), ranger got love cause of upgrade 2 weapon usage (damgetable), hunter got: nerf, cause he get popped, when pet starts fighting and pets dont pop targets who just sneaked away (and that was the hunters original strengh vs other assasins, thanks to his pet, to hunt them down).

ALL Arches don`t have the permission to True Sight, the only ra giving you advantage to assasins and escpecially vs the vanish ra, cause true sight also popped vanish.

So better roll a SB or other realms archers.
Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:22 PM by AngelRose
Anyone claiming the pet is NOT useless has never played a hunter. And, seriously, if the pet causes you any issues then you are a terrible player. It can be out run, out damaged, out cc'd. It is the worst pet in the game and basically worthless
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:02 AM by waffel
May want to look into the tests run showing pet vs. ranger damage add that was mentioned elsewhere on the thread.

And if someone is outrunning your pet they:
Aren’t damaging you (since they’re running from your pet)
Aren’t interrupting you (since they’re running from your pet)

This means you’re not being damaged and are open to doing damage.

Also, what situation are you in where you need a super speed pet to constantly attack runners? Why don’t you just shoot runners in the back??

The devs are never going to make hunter pet work differently than every other pet in the entire game.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:54 AM by AngelRose
waffel wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:02 AM
The devs are never going to make hunter pet work differently than every other pet in the entire game.

wtf are you talking about?

Druid pets stun from green con and up. BD pets have 2 or 3 sub pets that can nuke, disease, debuff or cast buffs like haste. the main one just melees.
Theurg pets snare nuke, or they stun chain, or they run on speed 5ish and melee (depending all 3 specs). SM pets stun like druid pets, and they intercept melee hits for the sm. Chanter pets can snare nuke and they can summon a variety of pets, i.e a tank, a dotter/interrupter, or a snake nuker. Necro pets sprint and melee while letting the user cast even if in combat

Literally everything that can be summoned is better than hunter pet here. Hunter pet is as useful as a blue con that just melees and doesn't sprint
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:59 AM by Quik
AngelRose wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:54 AM
waffel wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:02 AM

wtf are you talking about?

Druid pets stun from green con and up. BD pets have 2 or 3 sub pets that can nuke, disease, debuff or cast buffs like haste. the main one just melees.
Theurg pets snare nuke, or they stun chain, or they run on speed 5ish and melee (depending all 3 specs). SM pets stun like druid pets, and they intercept melee hits for the sm. Chanter pets can snare nuke and they can summon a variety of pets, i.e a tank, a dotter/interrupter, or a snake nuker. Necro pets sprint and melee while letting the user cast even if in combat

Literally everything that can be summoned is better than hunter pet here. Hunter pet is as useful as a blue con that just melees and doesn't sprint

This. The hunter pet is 100% useless.

When I played hib I ignored it and the dmg output was pathetic on it.

On Alb later it was the same thing.

People need to play the class before commenting. Hunter pet is absolute garbage in its current state.

I would LOVE to play a hunter focusing on spear/BC but it is in a very bad place right now/
Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:16 AM by waffel
So if the damage on hunter pet is terrible, but logs show it out damages ranger damage add, it must mean ranger add is terrible.

So I agree, buff hunter pet and ranger damage add. Thanks.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:50 AM by AngelRose
You have already proven in many threads you have no idea what you are talking about.

Not sure if intentional and just trolling....hope so
Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:21 AM by Quik
waffel wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 1:16 AM
So if the damage on hunter pet is terrible, but logs show it out damages ranger damage add, it must mean ranger add is terrible.

So I agree, buff hunter pet and ranger damage add. Thanks.

You don't seem to understand...Ranger does a WHOLE lot more dmg then a Hunter...it isn't even close...the fact that the hunter pet does more dmg then the ranger dmg add means nothing when the combined total is still lagging drastically behind.

Get a temped out ranger and a temped out hunter w/ pet both focusing on melee and magic tree and watch as the ranger destroys the hunter.

The ONLY thing close between hunter and ranger is archery which is not what I am referring to. I want a hunter w/ spear that is viable and right now they are not even remotely close.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:00 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Whole lot of QQ going on and paper DAoC theories.

You wanna know why 95% of the "suggestions" get ignored? Because it's a cesspool of "My class needs to be able to kill every type of opponent out there. If I cannot, you need to buff my class so it has the capability to do so". That's why nearly everything is ignored.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 5:31 AM by jelzinga_EU
Horus wrote:
Mon 15 Apr 2019 6:18 PM

There is so much mis-information on the internet and forum. People parrot stuff around. Hunter + Pet does as much damage as rangers w/dmg add against a stationary, non-parrying, non-evading, non-blocking enemy. In other words: Against casters. Once you start adding typical abilities you see commonly in RvR as a stealther, it behaves quite differently. 25% block and evade penetration make DW >>>> 2H the entire equality goes away. The irony is that rangers often do not see that, because they themselves are just as low defensive as hunters (only Evade 3). You might see a 27-30% evade-rate on assassins as a ranger, the hunter sees a whole lot more.

Hunters have lowest range, which on its own isn't a big deal, but with elevation the difference is getting (a lot) bigger. To top it off, their bows are also the fastest which matters because of the initial damage with archery is thus lower (initial shot is instant from the enemy PoV when archer opens from stealth). Not all fights open from stealth, but that problem is the same for hunters as for rangers (and scouts).

Hunter can pick 2 damage-types with Spear (that is a strong feature) but not the damage-type enemy stealthers are weak to. Enough discussions about slash-weak Mid leather, same goes for their reinforced...

Then there is the pet, it sounds so awesome in theory - but in practice.. No. Extremely low damage, procs enemy ablatives/heals, runs very slow. If only the avatar would spawn next to/on your target and keep up with sprint it was something. In its current state it is almost useless.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 5:48 AM by Lillebror
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:00 PM

You wanna know why 95% of the "suggestions" get ignored? Because it's a cesspool of "My class needs to be able to kill every type of opponent out there. If I cannot, you need to buff my class so it has the capability to do so". That's why nearly everything is ignored.

You can add to that, that a few classes just slam you and kill you before it wears out.
If you hit a person for 50-60 sometimes even less, and then opponent turn and hit back for 200-350 you see where they all want changes.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 2:09 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Lillebror wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 5:48 AM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:00 PM

You can add to that, that a few classes just slam you and kill you before it wears out.
If you hit a person for 50-60 sometimes even less, and then opponent turn and hit back for 200-350 you see where they all want changes.

SOOOO many reasons this could be happening. Build, template, armor tables between both opponents just to name a few. I could create a thread right now and say I got hit for 550 damage! Mercenaries need buffs! But what is important to note is that I was hit by a spec heat nuke for 550 damage after being heat debuffed (hypothetical)... you see where I'm getting at? 75% of these threads and posts are just random complaints regarding players inability to perform well in a specific situation with almost NO data to back any of it up.

Ah shit man, I got killed ONE TIME by a shadow blade, shadow blades are obviously over powered, no reason they should be able to kill a light tank. Buff light tanks or nerf shadow blades (hypothetical #2).
^this is the extent of the majority of the posts out here. What is important to note is that this shadow blade perfed successfully, got creeping death off, all poisons were available to apply, weapon str/con debuff proc'd, had a nice rotation of armor reactives/heals, heal pots were up, etc. etc. The QQ needs to goooooo.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 2:45 PM by Lev
Amp_Phetamine wrote: Whole lot of QQ going on and paper DAoC theories.

pets were nerfed only yesterday. of course this means, hunters pets are even worse than before.

still: realistically the only thing that seems possible for hunters is upping the dex/qui buff values to these:
http://genuapp.appspot.com/char/class/hunter.html

the low buff values and the weak pet lead to the state the hunter is in:
archery is great, but only to about 35 to 40 spec.
stealth is great, but only to about 34 to 37 spec.
BC is more or less worthless if you run dex/qui charges & AF charges & pots (the pet interrupts at low levels just fine and the run speed can be green).
leads to whole lot of spear (actually you would have points to go over 50 :p ), but in reality you never want to melee as an archer. if you do, better make a SB.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 2:57 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Lev wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 2:45 PM

pets were nerfed only yesterday. of course this means, hunters pets are even worse than before.

still: realistically the only thing that seems possible for hunters is upping the dex/qui buff values to these:

BC is more or less worthless if you run dex/qui charges & AF charges & pots (the pet interrupts at low levels just fine and the run speed can be green).
leads to whole lot of spear (actually you would have points to go over 50 :p ), but in reality you never want to melee as an archer. if you do, better make a SB.

Yeah, I was saddened to hear about the pet patch due to how bad the Hunter's pet already is. They certainly need some review and alterations, beast craft is certainly the best line to tweak and there's opportunity for improvement there.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:04 PM by cere2
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 2:57 PM
Lev wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 2:45 PM

Yeah, I was saddened to hear about the pet patch due to how bad the Hunter's pet already is. They certainly need some review and alterations, beast craft is certainly the best line to tweak and there's opportunity for improvement there.

Have to say I think BC and PF should go the route of 'live"
They killed those lines when they let buff pots be a thing.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:07 PM by Lillebror
Dont come and tell classes are balanced.

Take All tanks, light tanks and assassins and use there styles on a test dull.
When some classes can dash out Max a 100 hit and some 3-400hits.

The cost classes with stealth pay for that ability is ALOT

Archers need ton of love.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:14 PM by Tndiesel
This server Hates Archers so don't hold your breath.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:53 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Tndiesel wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:14 PM

Yeah man, those 700-800 damage crit shots are such a joke. Archers are completely worthless, /delete em.
Fri 19 Apr 2019 2:50 AM by waffel
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:53 PM
Tndiesel wrote:

Yeah man, those 700-800 damage crit shots are such a joke. Archers are completely worthless, /delete em.

Have you heard of making a template?
Fri 19 Apr 2019 11:26 AM by Frostburn
Shot for around 1k with 2 arrows by a ranger not long ago on my skald , in a template... maybe lucky Crits ? Still seems like decent damage...
Fri 19 Apr 2019 12:18 PM by Lillebror
Archers are not fine, they need sone stealth love so they not 100% assassin food, only 95% =)
Fri 19 Apr 2019 8:29 PM by stinsfire
Frostburn wrote:
Fri 19 Apr 2019 11:26 AM
Shot for around 1k with 2 arrows by a ranger not long ago on my skald , in a template... maybe lucky Crits ? Still seems like decent damage...

If you are losing vs an archer on a skald I cannot help you anymore. You have every tool to fuck up an archers life. And never ever have I been hit for 700-800 dmg with a critshot by any archer on my Thane or Hunter. And they are not even temped. And if it was lucky crits you would have seen it in the combat log.. no room for speculation. If you want to complain about something, you better pay attention to what actually happened.You don't even remember if it was a normal shot or a critshot or a normal shot that had additional crit damage....

And noone in this thread is complaining about archery damage. The thing is.. its only good for leeching. In 1on1 you are either engaged, rupted or your target runs out of bow range before he is dead. As a skald you have a 1500 range insta snare and everyone who roams solo should have a 1500 dd charge on an item. If you utilize those archers are free RP. If he attacks you on max range you only have to move 500 units closer or make two steps back and start spamming /rofl because he is out of range.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:15 PM by Amp_Phetamine
waffel wrote:
Fri 19 Apr 2019 2:50 AM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tndiesel wrote:

Fully templated with MP armor - obviously one ranger learned how to deal damage with his bow, others should seek advice from those that know what they're doing.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:45 PM by Horus
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:15 PM
waffel wrote:
Amp_Phetamine wrote:

Fully templated with MP armor - obviously one ranger learned how to deal damage with his bow, others should seek advice from those that know what they're doing.

I'm 325 buffed dex, using a 5.5 speed bow, 53 bow spec, using the correct best arrows v armor types. I've never hit a crit for 800 on a lev 50. My crits are usually in the 600s on solos, well less than that against grouped players. Often in the 400s. For reference my max crit is 1000 on grays mobs. So screen shots of all these 800 crits you are getting hit for please. I do often hit for max crit vs blue or green con players.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:56 PM by Tillbeast
Same with my hunter, against blue or untemplatated, ungrouped players I can get some nice hits, ok 5.0 speed bow will never out damage a hib or alb bow nor should it but once I target grouped or templated characters 350-400 crits are the norm. Over 300 dex, fully templated and I do the same damage as my runies dd but I can cast that every 2 seconds. Stopped playing my hunter long time ago, until they boost bow damage I am not interested, if I wanted to play a melee stealthier I would play a sb which I am doing. Made the same RR as my hunter 4.6 in 3 days rather than the 2 weeks it took my hunter. Class is a joke if you want to be an archer.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 5:34 PM by stinsfire
Hello devs? Ask the team? Can we have an answer please? Hello? Is there a away to @ someone on the forum?

I'm 325 buffed dex, using a 5.5 speed bow, 53 bow spec, using the correct best arrows v armor types. I've never hit a crit for 800 on a lev 50. My crits are usually in the 600s on solos, well less than that against grouped players. Often in the 400s. For reference my max crit is 1000 on grays mobs. So screen shots of all these 800 crits you are getting hit for please. I do often hit for max crit vs blue or green con players.

My thane is level 50 and semi temped (most important stats on cap, most important resists capped and all 20+) and I usually get critshot in the 500 range by scouts. This guy must be having constant hallucinations.. otherwise I cannot understand his multiple complaints about 800+ crits.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 6:45 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Horus wrote:
Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:45 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:15 PM
waffel wrote:

It was a single ranger (Jumboshrimp) or something like that - Lurikeen. So far he's the only one that has hit that hard. All the others are usually in the 400-600 range (depending on obviously multiple factors).
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics