Scouts

Started 30 Mar 2020
by nkeplinger1
in Ask the Team
Are there any planned changes for scouts? In all seriousness, they seem to be very underwhelming compared to other stealth classes in general, but specifically when compared to hunters and rangers.
Mon 30 Mar 2020 2:39 AM by gotwqqd
Scouts and wardens need help
Scouts because they are underpowered
Wardens because they are boring as hell
Tue 31 Mar 2020 1:26 PM by Expfighter
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 30 Mar 2020 2:39 AM

Wardens need NOTHING! they have ALL the good tools already!
Buffs, Heals, speed, PBT, TWF!

Scouts have what, a shield?
Rangers have duel wield, self buffs, and speed burst
Hunters have Spear damage, Self buffs, speed burst, and a dog?
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:26 PM by protege
Expfighter wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 1:26 PM
gotwqqd wrote:

A 99% root style with no immunity.

Any decently played scout is a tough fight for almost any melee class... assassins included.
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:35 PM by daytonchambers
Expfighter wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

The Scout is in a unique position to spec a defensive ability that relies on dex on a class where dex is the primary growth stat.

Swinging at a scout and seeing 40%+ block rates AFTER the dual wield reduction is pretty common. Pair this with their ability to engage and that shiny new root with no immunity and their defensive capabilities are higher than any other archer. Plus these abilities can be partially shared with a groupmate via guard. No other archer has that kind of group utility.
Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:12 PM by Cadebrennus
daytonchambers wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:35 PM
Expfighter wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

The Scout is in a unique position to spec a defensive ability that relies on dex on a class where dex is the primary growth stat.

Swinging at a scout and seeing 40%+ block rates AFTER the dual wield reduction is pretty common. Pair this with their ability to engage and that shiny new root with no immunity and their defensive capabilities are higher than any other archer. Plus these abilities can be partially shared with a groupmate via guard. No other archer has that kind of group utility.

I've been saying this for years, especially when I play Alb. Scouts are the absolute best shield mates.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:48 AM by nkeplinger1
The arguments regarding a scout's defensive capabilities are not wrong, but they are irrelevant. Unless grouped with other scouts or infiltrators, scouts do no do enough damage to end a fight before getting added by more enemies. A hunter is nearly impossible to beat 1v1 with a scout when the hunter is played correctly. You can't kite someone with a pet, nor is a scouts shield more beneficial than hunter 2h damage. Ranger dual wield - the same argument could be made. My original post was regarding how scouts compare to other stealth classes - and that is at the very bottom of the list.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:20 AM by Riac
nkeplinger1 wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:48 AM
The arguments regarding a scout's defensive capabilities are not wrong, but they are irrelevant. Unless grouped with other scouts or infiltrators, scouts do no do enough damage to end a fight before getting added by more enemies. A hunter is nearly impossible to beat 1v1 with a scout when the hunter is played correctly. You can't kite someone with a pet, nor is a scouts shield more beneficial than hunter 2h damage. Ranger dual wield - the same argument could be made. My original post was regarding how scouts compare to other stealth classes - and that is at the very bottom of the list.

just do yourself a favor and pick another class. alternativly, you could just keep playing suck ass archers and keep being upset about it, either way it doesnt matter to me. tbh i hope they never "fix" archers and that seems to be the general consensus of everyone else that doesnt play an archer.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:46 AM by easytoremember
daytonchambers wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:35 PM
Expfighter wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

"Just play in a group bro"

meanwhile everywhere else
NOOOOOoOoOoo YOU CANT JUST STEALTH ZERG MY HECKIN GANKARINOS
Wed 1 Apr 2020 3:56 AM by nkeplinger1
Riac wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:20 AM
nkeplinger1 wrote:

just do yourself a favor and pick another class. alternativly, you could just keep playing suck ass archers and keep being upset about it, either way it doesnt matter to me. tbh i hope they never "fix" archers and that seems to be the general consensus of everyone else that doesnt play an archer.

I'm not asking them fix archers. I'm asking them to fix the scout. Do yourself a favor and reread my post. Compared to the other two archer classes in the game, the scout is underpowered. If you couldnt care less, I'm unsure why you felt the need to reply to something you obviously didnt read.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 1:16 PM by Sepplord
Shouldn't scout be easily the best peeler?
Dexbased shieldclass with a no-immunity det-ignoring spammable root

When that ability got introduced i thought it might break the realmbalance completely but seems like noone is willing to abuse such an OP ability
Wed 1 Apr 2020 1:57 PM by Horus
nkeplinger1 wrote:
Mon 30 Mar 2020 2:02 AM
Are there any planned changes for scouts? In all seriousness, they seem to be very underwhelming compared to other stealth classes in general, but specifically when compared to hunters and rangers.

Funny how in Dark Age of Slamalot scouts complain about shield spec. Slam is the most used, most valuable style in the game. And scouts get it plus more. Are you sure you want to give up shield for dual wield? Or Spear?

You also have the benefit of easy and available self buffs no spec required. Not there in Classic DaoC.

Scout ranged damage has the same issue as any other archer. ..and need help like any other archer.

You want to be melee effective? Do what a ranger has to do an give up on any bow spec and put all your points into shield and melee and get all melee RAs. Pick your race and damage type based on melee focus.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:03 PM by Cadebrennus
Horus wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 1:57 PM
nkeplinger1 wrote:

Funny how in Dark Age of Slamalot scouts complain about shield spec. Slam is the most used, most valuable style in the game. And scouts get it plus more. Are you sure you want to give up shield for dual wield? Or Spear?

You also have the benefit of easy and available self buffs no spec required. Not there in Classic DaoC.

Scout ranged damage has the same issue as any other archer. ..and need help like any other archer.

You want to be melee effective? Do what a ranger has to do an give up on any bow spec and put all your points into shield and melee and get all melee RAs. Pick your race and damage type based on melee focus.

I've been saying this for years but no one actually wants to do it. It's perfectly viable.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:04 PM by Cadebrennus
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 1:16 PM

When that ability got introduced i thought it might break the realmbalance completely but seems like noone is willing to abuse such an OP ability

That would require players to "think outside of the meta", and we all know that isn't happening.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:55 PM by Neso
I'm assuming most scouts have their slam purged, so they wtfOP root and run whilst being shot in the back or casted upon.
Which sounds like it actually benefits the others archers?
Wed 1 Apr 2020 3:58 PM by Kwall0311
Neso wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:55 PM
I'm assuming most scouts have their slam purged, so they wtfOP root and run whilst being shot in the back or casted upon.
Which sounds like it actually benefits the others archers?

Its more of an escape tool in my experience, and ive used it alot. Anyone with a quarter of a brain can counter it in a 1v1. Even in the stealth group setting its not like youre extending a fight. Rangers/NS can shoot-dd if snared out, Hunters can shoot/pet etc. SB might have it the worst with only being able to use throwing.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 5:52 PM by daytonchambers
easytoremember wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:46 AM
"Just play in a group bro"

meanwhile everywhere else
NOOOOOoOoOoo YOU CANT JUST STEALTH ZERG MY HECKIN GANKARINOS

Because I clearly said that the only thing going for them is group utility, and the 40%+ block rate part was absolutely irrelevant.

But since you brought it up... name a single stealth class in Midgard or Hibernia that has any sort of group utility whatsoever. You cant, because there isn't one.

Meanwhile two out of three alb sneaks have utility that benefits a visible group in rvr or pve.

And I hate to break it to you genius, but two infs plus a mincer or two and then a scout is far more the norm here and THAT is what people who complain about stealth groups are talking about.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 6:15 PM by gotwqqd
Horus wrote:
nkeplinger1 wrote:

Let’s see
Ranger and hunter both have buff line(more applicable with ranger....no pet) and they seem to not rely solely on combined force pot, rather spec deep into the buff line
Wed 1 Apr 2020 6:40 PM by mhenfhis
Sepplord wrote:

well armsman can do it, and will do it better and give more utility to the group.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 6:43 PM by mhenfhis
Horus wrote:

A full melee spec'ed ranger will outdps by miles a full dps scout, DW +Path > Shield
Wed 1 Apr 2020 7:45 PM by Sepplord
mhenfhis wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 6:40 PM
Sepplord wrote:

well armsman can do it, and will do it better and give more utility to the group.

Armsman doesn't have the scout-only custom shieldstyle that roots targets, is not effected by det/stoism and does not trigger an imunitytimer.

Imagine the armsman snares being 100%snares....that's what the scout would do as peeler
Wed 1 Apr 2020 9:48 PM by Riac
nkeplinger1 wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 3:56 AM
Riac wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 2:20 AM
nkeplinger1 wrote:

I'm not asking them fix archers. I'm asking them to fix the scout. Do yourself a favor and reread my post. Compared to the other two archer classes in the game, the scout is underpowered. If you couldnt care less, I'm unsure why you felt the need to reply to something you obviously didnt read.

what i meant is idc if you keep playing a shit class and having a bad time, its quite funny to me. what i do care about is them buffing archers in anyway. fuck that leachen-ass class.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 10:48 PM by Cadebrennus
mhenfhis wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 6:43 PM
Horus wrote:

A full melee spec'ed ranger will outdps by miles a full dps scout, DW +Path > Shield

Can the full melee spec Ranger (who has sacrificed stealth, or bow, or both) block for his buddy, engage for himself, or have a kickass snare ability without sacrificing anything? Dude, it's the Scouts' players' faults if they can only think of checkers when trying to play chess.
Thu 2 Apr 2020 12:41 AM by Neso
Playing around on char builder and it sounds pretty fun as an 8-man peeler:

45 shield - 9 sec slam & 99% 14 sec root
44 thrust - 27 sec snare
33? archery - whatever
30? stealth - whatever

Det 9, Volley, IP, Purge

Rooted? whip out bow and pewpew with some volley.
All you need now is a decent player and a group willing to try it...
Thu 2 Apr 2020 1:28 AM by Riac
Neso wrote:
Thu 2 Apr 2020 12:41 AM
Playing around on char builder and it sounds pretty fun as an 8-man peeler:

45 shield - 9 sec slam & 99% 14 sec root
44 thrust - 27 sec snare
33? archery - whatever
30? stealth - whatever

Det 9, Volley, IP, Purge

Rooted? whip out bow and pewpew with some volley.
All you need now is a decent player and a group willing to try it...

seems like a shitty pally or arms.
Thu 2 Apr 2020 1:42 AM by Neso
Well yeah, it looks fun on paper daoc. Although small shield, armor type, dmg table etc..rip
Thu 2 Apr 2020 1:50 AM by Riac
Neso wrote:
Thu 2 Apr 2020 1:42 AM
Well yeah, it looks fun on paper daoc. Although small shield, armor type, dmg table etc..rip

not to mention that lack of hp, and the recquired RAs that were laid out is like rank 7 lol. gl, hope your group is patient.
Sun 5 Apr 2020 9:12 AM by mhenfhis
Cadebrennus wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 10:48 PM
mhenfhis wrote:
Horus wrote:

Can the full melee spec Ranger (who has sacrificed stealth, or bow, or both) block for his buddy, engage for himself, or have a kickass snare ability without sacrificing anything? Dude, it's the Scouts' players' faults if they can only think of checkers when trying to play chess.

Full melee ranger can kill a sb/infil without problem without using IP for example, and yet able to kill things with bow.

Where a full melee scout can kill... nothing? Oh yeah they can stun ppl too dead.
Sun 5 Apr 2020 9:43 AM by Cadebrennus
mhenfhis wrote:
Sun 5 Apr 2020 9:12 AM
Cadebrennus wrote:
mhenfhis wrote:

Full melee ranger can kill a sb/infil without problem without using IP for example, and yet able to kill things with bow.

Where a full melee scout can kill... nothing? Oh yeah they can stun ppl too dead.

Where does any Assassin player say that they've lost to an Archer who had IP down? Where does an Archer say that they can regularly beat Assassins without IP? Archers as Assassin killers just aren't on the Assassin players' radar. Right now the Assassin players are complaining that they can't kill tanks fast enough. Just think about that.

In addition, there are the classes within the archetypes that do better in (or need) group play, and others that can solo. Your argument is like pointing out that a Bard can't solo, but a Skald can. They both have an archetype (speed, cc, interrupts) but both perform vastly different in RvR. I'm not even going to bother pulling Minstrels into this argument because they're vastly overpowered, and I think so even when playing my Merc.
Sun 5 Apr 2020 1:19 PM by mhenfhis
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sun 5 Apr 2020 9:43 AM
mhenfhis wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:

Where does any Assassin player say that they've lost to an Archer who had IP down? Where does an Archer say that they can regularly beat Assassins without IP? Archers as Assassin killers just aren't on the Assassin players' radar. Right now the Assassin players are complaining that they can't kill tanks fast enough. Just think about that.

In addition, there are the classes within the archetypes that do better in (or need) group play, and others that can solo. Your argument is like pointing out that a Bard can't solo, but a Skald can. They both have an archetype (speed, cc, interrupts) but both perform vastly different in RvR. I'm not even going to bother pulling Minstrels into this argument because they're vastly overpowered, and I think so even when playing my Merc.

Did you actually play this server?Solo? Any high rr melee ranger/hunter can kill perfectly a assassin without using ip. Why you talk about bards and skalds? or even misntrels? or assassins complain about cant kill tanks?
I was pointing about that you said that Rangers/Hunters, have to sacrifice something so they can go full melee and they will be able to stand toe on toe vs an assassin, where a scout, well doesn't matter if it goes 50slash/50shield that wont be able to beat down in melee an assassin.
Sun 5 Apr 2020 3:21 PM by Cadebrennus
mhenfhis wrote:
Sun 5 Apr 2020 1:19 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
Sun 5 Apr 2020 9:43 AM
mhenfhis wrote:

Did you actually play this server?Solo? Any high rr melee ranger/hunter can kill perfectly a assassin without using ip. Why you talk about bards and skalds? or even misntrels? or assassins complain about cant kill tanks?
I was pointing about that you said that Rangers/Hunters, have to sacrifice something so they can go full melee and they will be able to stand toe on toe vs an assassin, where a scout, well doesn't matter if it goes 50slash/50shield that wont be able to beat down in melee an assassin.

Scouts are simply leagues better than a Hunter or a Ranger in a group (visi or stealth) whereas a Hunter or Ranger is better solo. I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend about that.
Sun 5 Apr 2020 11:11 PM by dbeattie71
My Ranger can shoot a bow? How am I finding this out now lol.
Fri 10 Apr 2020 10:12 PM by nkeplinger1
I don't think anyone is suggesting we build a "super class" and make scouts/archers as op as they are on live. This server just has balancing issues regarding the archer classes. If you don't want scouts to do solid bow dps, but also don't want them to do solid melee dps, you effectively have made a broken class. Take the dumb ass 99% snare away from scouts and make them a competitive class some other way. The 99% snare is absolutely useless unless you're fighting a pure tank class. Where a hunter/ranger can solo against a wide variety of enemy classes, a scout can not. Assassin classes on this server can beat any other class in the game 1v1 if played correctly and continues to get stronger. If reducing scout damage was done to deter scout zergs, you've only made scouts more group dependent. Everything is cause and effect. If you want archer classes to solo make them soloable (which is possible without making them op). Scouts are basically a stealth support class on this server. This all follows a common theme; realm/class balance is terribly managed on this server. You people tell me I shouldn't be able to solo on a scout, while ranger/hunter solo freely. Meanwhile, bonedancers are running around with a 4sec recast on lifetap and goes untouched.
Sat 11 Apr 2020 6:43 PM by Horus
Laughing as I watched a scout eat a higher RR sb for lunch yesterday in melee in CG.

Was extra funny was I tried to add after the fight with bow and he blocked over half my shots. Then I ate a perf from an infilt...

Yea, shield is worthless...

Might ask around the realm. There is at least one player who knows how to play a scout.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics