Audio Remaster

Started 25 Mar 2020
by Holocape
in Ask the Team
Hello!

So this could be shut down quickly or go on to be quite awesome.

I am an Audio Designer working at a AAA games company and a returning, nostalgic player to this game.

One of the things I have noticed is how dated the sounds are. They are all Mono 22kHz files with some occasional stereo.

I'd love to go through the game audio and remake a lot of the sounds from the game, primarily the spells which I think are very harsh and sound quite bad to today's standards.

I have tested this locally, there is a 'sounds' folder which contains WAVs and these WAVs appear to just get called by the game code, there is no compression/conversion, etc. This means, by swapping the file out with the exact same file name it will play that instead. It would mean for other people to use what I create, they would need to create a backup of the sounds folder and then replace the folder with my folder.

"You may not modify any part of the Dark Age of Camelot client. This includes but is not limited to:
Any hardware or third-party software, altering movement speed of your character, revealing positions of enemy players (as Radar), Jump-Hacks, Client mods that change weather pattern, fog, terrain, or object positions. "

This rule appears to be there for cheat detection or modification for personal gain.

This would not be for any of the above and instead would be for the enjoyment/audio pleasure of players.

There are two routes we could go down also.

1. Revitalize the existing sounds. This means the files would be the same size and source but some processing would be applied to balance these out to remove harsh or bassy frequencies. This would be kept exactly the same as the current audio but with some slight EQ, Compression, De-essing, etc.

2. (preferred) Find all sounds and their associated animations and completely change them to be up to date and impactful. Full frequency cinematic goodness.

If there are strict reasons as to why this would not be possible, I would love to hear it. From my point of view, if an asset doesn't affect gameplay and enhances the experience then I can't see a reason this would be detrimental to the game.

Thanks!
Fri 27 Mar 2020 4:03 PM by Lillebror
As far i know its not allowed for cheating purpose.

You could add special sounds, lyrics etc for diffrent abilitys, purge, or styles etc so its easyer to do follow ups
or know to time yours abiltys.

you might be able to do what you want together with the team and change and improve everything but thats up to them.

I read about this ages ago and i tried to look up some normal sound files and they are not easy to cross match with abilitys ingame.
also think i read they overwrite each time you zone. But i really like your idea.
Fri 27 Mar 2020 6:59 PM by ZioRed
I know that what I'm going to say is of no or little interest to anyone and that everybody knows, though I'd like to remember that DAoC client is a registered trademark and copyrighted product by Mythic/EA and making any change to the client (including models, sounds and any other official asset) violates the EULA, so if you make those changes available on internet could bring to a legal action from them.

If you want to do that on your own PC then it's fine since nobody will know, but personally I wouldn't make it publicly available on internet.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics