Why is POC entrance not a safe zone?

Started 4 Jan 2020
by Delegator
in Ask the Team
Yeah this is another note about animists camping the POC entrance with mushrooms. Why is this even remotely OK? DF has a safe entrance. Frontiers have a safe entrance (true of both old and new frontiers). Yet, POC allows animists to stack mushrooms and immediately kill enemies before they have a chance to do anything.

To me this is an undesirable side effect of the removal of the zone-in timer, and it's a loose end that needs to be cleaned up.
Sat 4 Jan 2020 6:46 PM by Forlornhope
Totally agree, there has to be some middle ground between preventing people from abusing the immunity timer to farm rps and abusing the lack of one to do the same thing. Unfortunately the vast majority of this server are literally here to farm the easiest rps they can, which is why you see rr10 8mans farming different docks all day picking off solos and small mans trying to just get to a boat. Frankly people can complain about the changes the devs have made all they want, in the end it's the player base that is going to kill this server,
Sat 4 Jan 2020 8:30 PM by watbrif
I also agree on this and other issues already mentioned (handing in rewards at the docks, getting boats at the docks). In my opinion, all of these activities should take place in a safe zone. The problem is that they are bottlenecks that players can't avoid (if you want to go into POC, you need to port - hence you have no chance to fight back). This means that you basically get punished for playing the game and not for bad decisions on your part. I remember that the devs also said that handing in the branches etc. is part of the risk of levelling in NF - but I can reduce the risk for instance by levelling off the beaten track. But I have to hand in the rewards at the docks. That's why getting ganked at the docks feels unfair (similar to getting wiped when porting into POC).
Sat 4 Jan 2020 9:03 PM by Runental
If you stay to long at entrance in poc you'll get killed by thunderstorms or something on live.
About 30 seconds somewhat.
No idea why there isn't a similar feature here.
Sun 5 Jan 2020 1:08 PM by daytonchambers
How is this any different than say a SB, Inf, or Nightshade camping the entrance for the very same reason?

I agree that the thunderstorms from live or some variation of that mechanic would make sense, regardless of what class is exploiting this
Sun 5 Jan 2020 2:19 PM by Patron
Another qq about animists?
What is the definition of whataboutism?

1. Killing peoole not kill the server. This is daoc and killing players is what makes daoc so great.

2. There is no 100% Safety in fz and it should not be there.
There are other dungeons where u can do the same stuff as in poc. Dont go there if you cannot deal with dieing.

3. Good idea, you can meet me at entrance in poc next time and i hope some nerfedtoground animists do the same.
Reading the forum is awesome, i choose the debuffswords for my ns only because of qq in forum. I love you all, here i can read how to bring the most damnation over my enemys. Just great

See ya lil whiners and thx for the rps
Sun 5 Jan 2020 5:55 PM by Ashman
NF is wonderful isnt it?

see you soon all are welcome <3
Sun 5 Jan 2020 6:15 PM by gotwqqd
Patron wrote:
Sun 5 Jan 2020 2:19 PM

1. Killing peoole not kill the server. This is daoc and killing players is what makes daoc so great.

There are other dungeons where u can do the same stuff as in poc. Dont go there if you cannot deal with dieing.

3. Good idea, you can meet me at entrance in poc next time and i hope some nerfedtoground animists do the same.
Reading the forum is awesome, i choose the debuffswords for my ns only because of qq in forum. I love you all, here i can read how to bring the most damnation over my enemys. Just great

They are not asking for 100% safe zone
Only something that protects those that port in and are killed with no chance of retaliation
Sun 5 Jan 2020 7:06 PM by easytoremember
Runental wrote:
Sat 4 Jan 2020 9:03 PM
If you stay to long at entrance in poc you'll get killed by thunderstorms or something on live.
because that's really, really gay
The entrance being camped is less retarded than being killed by nothing for standing somewhere
Sun 5 Jan 2020 8:16 PM by watbrif
easytoremember wrote:
Sun 5 Jan 2020 7:06 PM
Runental wrote:
because that's really, really gay
The entrance being camped is less retarded than being killed by nothing for standing somewhere

Calling things "gay" and "retarded" surely showcases your ability to present a reasonable, convincing argument.
Sun 5 Jan 2020 9:31 PM by Loki
easytoremember wrote:
Sun 5 Jan 2020 7:06 PM
being killed by nothing for standing somewhere

You haven't been paying attention, we were talking about dungeon campers its not really just "somewhere", it's a very specific spot. And only one class can take full advantage of it, because of its dps output in a very short period of time (apparently nerfed into the ground).

It's a German guild that does it constantly, minimum 2 animists cus one has to shroom in the back (they got burned by my thane a few times when they didn't). They hire sneaks to pop stealthers trying to go around, because mid stealthers can potentially get in and stealth right away even though placing shrooms in a certain spot will still pop them 2-3 seconds later. They also hire a certain rr9 Hero to guard and afk near them Sometimes there's a bard too, really a group of lowbies no matter the levels doesn't stand a chance.

So of course you'll get people like Assman above be cocky and invite people to come at them, because that's the only way he can enjoy the game

You can see, the entire thing is specific and planned, you can't really call it "standing somewhere"

At this point a mechanic that lets people at least load in and be able to buff up/summon pets is just common sense, and the lightning storm mentioned above will at least give people coming in some space.
Mon 6 Jan 2020 3:25 AM by Sepplord
Potentially a dumb question:

wouldn't it be possible to bring back the old immunity timer, but having it cancel itself early when an input is made by the user?

Aka if someone zones in and does nothing he has the immunity just as it was before it got removed

but if he moves, chats, buffs, then he loses the shield?

The camping would still be lame but at least people wouldn't get killed while in loading screen
Mon 6 Jan 2020 9:21 AM by Lipsi
To be honest, i have never seen a xp group run to POC together as one group (except after they died, if they try to come back as a single group to join forces, or for the occasional summoners hall raid).
Most of the time, it will be one by one, i'm not talking seconds for "loading screen" but minutes, sometimes even more (with group starting to xp and running for pick ups every time a group member finally zones in^^) etc.

So yes, loading screen can be frustrating when shroom fields is on the other side but it isn't limited to animists, bomb groups with a couple slams, stealth group with couple minstrels for i-stun, etc. It's all the same.

You're true that you don't stand a chance and it is frustrating and unfair. But is RVR supposed to be fair ? i think not. Nothing in RVR is safe, many situations occur when you don't stand a chance. If POC entrance is farmed, just don't run back to it, this is common sense for RVR locations, like if you're a FG trying to take towers and one is defended with 80 mids, will you run back to it ?

Runental wrote:

I like the idea, but honestly, i'd hate even more getting killed by a thunderstorm if i somehow freeze on loading screen, than to get killed by ennemies waiting xD
Mon 6 Jan 2020 2:55 PM by Delegator
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 5 Jan 2020 1:08 PM
How is this any different than say a SB, Inf, or Nightshade camping the entrance for the very same reason?

Because literally ANY class could solo camp the entrance, but only animists can do so with both impunity (being out of range of attacks even if the target doesn't immediately die) and with such overwhelming damage (multiple stacked forest hearts will kill anybody). The difference is that every other class can be fought upon zoning -- they can't annhilate you solo before you can move.

Did you seriously not know that?
Mon 6 Jan 2020 2:58 PM by Delegator
Patron wrote:
Sun 5 Jan 2020 2:19 PM

a. this is not about animists in general. It is about the specific case where animists can kill opposing players without any risk whatsoever. That, to me, is the definition of an exploit. Just like having a necro pet in a wall, for example.

b. There actually ARE 100% safe zones in the frontiers. The entrance to DF. The portal towns protected by wizards with massive range. In other words...the places where you zone in. Which is what the entrance to POC is. But you knew that already.

c. who is the whiner - the person who asks a question with documented reasons for it, or the person who whines about people doing so?
Mon 6 Jan 2020 4:17 PM by daytonchambers
Delegator wrote:
Mon 6 Jan 2020 2:55 PM
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 5 Jan 2020 1:08 PM

Because literally ANY class could solo camp the entrance, but only animists can do so with both impunity (being out of range of attacks even if the target doesn't immediately die) and with such overwhelming damage (multiple stacked forest hearts will kill anybody). The difference is that every other class can be fought upon zoning -- they can't annhilate you solo before you can move.

Did you seriously not know that?

Of course I know that an ani can burst someone with a full stack of shrooms, stop treating everyone like idiots. That said, I'm pretty sure a decent RR assassin can burst some poor lv 45 on his way to an xp group just as easily.

There needs to be something in place that prevents loitering at the entrance. Which is why the other half of my post, which you failed to quote, was:

"I agree that the thunderstorms from live or some variation of that mechanic would make sense, regardless of what class is exploiting this"
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics