Has Anyone Else Noticed That "The Team" Rarely Answers Questions Here?

Started 4 Nov 2019
by ExcretusMaximus
in Ask the Team
It's ( blindly estimated) 90% players answer questions with shaky numbers or anecdotal evidence.

Why have a section asking the developers questions if they're not going to answer them?
Tue 5 Nov 2019 12:37 PM by Chaskha
I don't think they are DAoC Encyclopedia.
I find that technical questions are often answered by Gruenes.
I find that decisional questions on current state or the future are often answered by Uthred or a GM.

Context is that they work intensively on the server and maybe are focused on more pressing matters?

I'm pretty satisfied by the interactions even if I've had questions or ideas that I had wished to be adressed by the deciders rather than the players.
Wed 6 Nov 2019 1:13 AM by gruenesschaf
Most things are answered by players, not really a need to just repeat the same thing again. Some that don't receive an answer have already been answered recentlyish, some answers would require discussions (Why not make x behave this way) and some answers would lead to comments (Why is x like this).

Then you have threads like enemy pet ignoring walls / doors involving nice people while the subject at hand is something has been explained again and again, that it's due to missing dynamic pathing which is even mentioned in https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10919

I usually respond to questions regarding some mechanics that can be answered with facts / formulas while somewhat avoiding opinion pieces. Initially the idea for the ask the team forum was to literally answer all questions, however, that was quite naive and it's just not feasible or actually has downsides.
Some questions show that something either is wrong or might be wrong and hence a proper answer would either be "yes, it's broken, not fixing it at this time" or require a fix / change which in turn would require internal discussions before hand which itself gets exhausting if only one or even none of the involved parties have any actual interest or knowledge of the subject matter at hand or might even require additional extensive testing like npc damage / buff scaling.
Then there are a couple questions that to answer factually correct would require testing on live to see if their starting position / claim is even accurate which would again be quite time extensive and the alternative would be a generic "show that it really is like that on live as you claim, make sure you do it exactly like this....", which is something we did but usually that results in no testing and instead just more anecdotal stories.
Then some are asked in a tone that won't receive any amount of effort or the one asking has a history of using that tone.
Wed 6 Nov 2019 11:21 AM by Goforit
Joke deleted. Please make no jokes in this subforum! They will find you!
Wed 6 Nov 2019 11:42 AM by kiectred
Goforit wrote:
Wed 6 Nov 2019 11:21 AM
They never answer my questions

I was curious, so I went back through your posts. You haven't posted a question here at least as far back as July. You don't even have a post on the "suggestions" forum that has been ignored. I'm on mobile and the mobile site is sorta rough, so maybe I missed something, but you don't even have a question posted in need of answering.

Edit: found one small discussion of keep repairs you jumped into which was not addressed, but it wasn't in this forum and it wasn't your post.
Wed 6 Nov 2019 10:59 PM by Goforit
Looool. You have nothing else to do!?
I didnt post in this subforum, thats right. But in other subforums, sorry for being not precise enough. I already asked several questions, but never got an answer from staff. Some were maybe before July, maybe you should check that.
I have no big problem with not getting an answer. It was rather a joke. Dont really know why you check that!?
Sat 9 Nov 2019 3:41 PM by Dyvol
You have to keep in mind that while we are members of the staff we also have full time jobs and a family. As Grüns shad said most questions are answered via the community itself so why repeat.

We also have many things we look at the forums the discord and also in game chat. If you have a problem that is in need of an urgent response it’s best to try to get in touch via the game or via discord as this will alert us to the problem.
Wed 13 Nov 2019 4:42 AM by omicidi
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 4 Nov 2019 11:16 PM
It's ( blindly estimated) 90% players answer questions with shaky numbers or anecdotal evidence.

Why have a section asking the developers questions if they're not going to answer them?

This is why no one wants to group with you.

These dudes work for free, created the best daoc ruleset, and literally bend over backwards to help folks in a timely matter.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics