100% Miss rate on bolts?

Started 26 Aug 2019
by Horus
in Ask the Team
So I was playing around with my baby Eldritch over the weekend. He is well below 50 but I thought I would try my hand at helping realm defense. I had a situation where I was able to launch a few bolts at some enemy Albs (lev 50 targets). Every time they missed with a the message "miss chance: 100%"

Seems odd. I would expect low damage since I am well below lev 50... I would even expect to miss often...but 100%?
Mon 26 Aug 2019 3:04 PM by CronU
Horus wrote:
Mon 26 Aug 2019 2:03 PM
So I was playing around with my baby Eldritch over the weekend. He is well below 50 but I thought I would try my hand at helping realm defense. I had a situation where I was able to launch a few bolts at some enemy Albs (lev 50 targets). Every time they missed with a the message "miss chance: 100%"

Seems odd. I would expect low damage since I am well below lev 50... I would even expect to miss often...but 100%?

as soon someone is engaged into melee combat the missrate of bolts will raise to 100%. this effect is not instant, but within a 2-3 second timewindow.
Mon 26 Aug 2019 4:42 PM by Ashok
CronU is right.

On live you get a message that "the target is in melee combat" which is just a fancy wording for 100% miss.
On Phoenix you get the number without fancy wording.
Mon 26 Aug 2019 4:53 PM by Roto23
So I can avoid bolts by just attacking someone? And, whats the diff between a bolt and any other damage spell? And... How can you tell the difference?
Mon 26 Aug 2019 5:18 PM by Sepplord
Roto23 wrote:
Mon 26 Aug 2019 4:53 PM
So I can avoid bolts by just attacking someone? And, whats the diff between a bolt and any other damage spell? And... How can you tell the difference?

a bolt is a projectile that leaves the casters hand when he finishes casting, then it flies towards you, similar to an arrow with homing-function, and when it hits you get damaged
normal damage spells just "happen" at their target when the caster finishes a cast

Bolts have a longer ranger 1875 (iirr) and have a cooldown, so they can't be spammed. Afaik the most common bolter would be firewizard that can even specc for 3bolts if he wants to. Most other Bolters only have 1-2Bolts available (iirr)

Since it is a 2-3second window after engaging in melee before you get bolt-immune and the bolt doesn't take 2-3seconds to fly to you actively avoiding a bolt, by seeing it and then engaging in melee is not feasible (though it could in theory be possible with you engaging melee as soon as the bolt is visible and then SOSing away from the bolt...maybe...my guess would be that the bolt still hits you before the 2-3seconds are over)
Mon 26 Aug 2019 5:35 PM by Horus
Ashok wrote:
Mon 26 Aug 2019 4:42 PM
CronU is right.

On live you get a message that "the target is in melee combat" which is just a fancy wording for 100% miss.
On Phoenix you get the number without fancy wording.

OK, maybe that was it. Thanks for the clarification.
Tue 27 Aug 2019 1:04 PM by gotwqqd
What is the reasoning from taking away a huge part of some classes because "melee"?
Tue 27 Aug 2019 1:23 PM by Freedomcall
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 27 Aug 2019 1:04 PM
What is the reasoning from taking away a huge part of some classes because "melee"?

Because this is DAoC?
Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:40 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Let's not forget that if you're under level 35 all of your spells will have a 99% resist and all bolts will have 100% miss.

Just in case you were trying to help while being under 35.
Wed 28 Aug 2019 1:19 PM by Horus
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:40 PM
Let's not forget that if you're under level 35 all of your spells will have a 99% resist and all bolts will have 100% miss.

That was actually probably this scenario. I was indeed under 35.
Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:23 PM by Freedomcall
Horus wrote:
Wed 28 Aug 2019 1:19 PM
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:40 PM

That was actually probably this scenario. I was indeed under 35.

Actually that's not the case for rvr.
Resistance chance from pve and rvr differs, and you can land spells pretty well on high purples on rvr.
Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:37 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Freedomcall wrote:
Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:23 PM
Resistance chance from pve and rvr differs, and you can land spells pretty well on high purples on rvr.

They changed it months ago here, if you're under 35 you can't land a spell on a level 50 player.
Thu 29 Aug 2019 9:03 PM by Freedomcall
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:37 PM
Freedomcall wrote:
Thu 29 Aug 2019 6:23 PM

They changed it months ago here, if you're under 35 you can't land a spell on a level 50 player.

That is not true.
Not sure about bolts cuz they are totally different thing, but my casters under 35 still hits lvl50 char very well with their spells. Although resist chance is a tad higher, but its not like 90%.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics