Spiritmaster Pets and Intercept

Started 2 Aug 2019
by mze
in Ask the Team
Spiritmaster Pets do intercept 9/10 Hits, thats a fact.
Several people mentioned that in the tracker and there is an open case since more than a year:

https://tracker.playphoenix.online/issues/75e99c26-69b3-46c2-a9a2-e233a9820daa

Why is this still a thing? Just put a timer on intercept, like on live. The pet can only intercept a hit once every 30 seconds.
Instead of focusing on getting mechanisms that automatically detect crossrealmers or buffbot accounts, you should be going for game balance (which is the real issue why playercount is dropping).

Please do something, and don't leave bugs like this open for so long.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:06 AM by CronU
mze wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 8:26 AM
The pet can only intercept a hit once every 30 seconds.

This is enormous imo. once every 30 sec. then you basically dont need the pet at all.
Yes the intercept rate is to high, i'm with you on this point. BUT dont nerf him to uselessness.
And please dont start to discuss how op sm is in rvr.
IF it would be totally over the top, there would be way more spiritmasters, that actually play that char in rvr. (cause 80% of every mid has a lvl 50 sm, since they are that easy to level up)
instead the sm ranking is this:
https://herald.playphoenix.online/characters/realmpoints?time-frame=all-time&filter=spiritmaster
3x rr8,
3x rr7,
just 70 sm's above rr5.

Just 2 classes have less rr5 characters after 7 months:
Paladin (54 rr5+) (2x rr8+, 5x rr7)
Valewalker (57 rr5+) (4x rr8+, 7x rr7)

So basically sm is the third least played class in rvr. If his pet would be as op as you say, this wouldn't be the case.

greez Clary (switched from rr4L6 sm (Clarina) to augh short after launch, cause sm didnt really fit in any kind of mid setup)
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:08 AM by Ceen
Same for the stun procs. The stars have to align for not getting stunned.
The whole pet is an intercept/stun machine its retarded.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:11 AM by CronU
Ceen wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:08 AM

That being said, by a rr11 minstrel with PURPLE pets. x.x
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:12 AM by Ceen
CronU wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:11 AM
Ceen wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:08 AM

That being said, by a rr11 minstrel with PURPLE pets. x.x
I dont play minstrel you are misinformed
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:27 AM by Druth
You really just have to compare necro and sm.

Both are popular in PvE, both are hard for pure melee to kill, but where one has 18 with 2+ mio. rps. the other has 6.
Where sm can be interrupted with instas while you attack, necro can not.

SM pet intercept falls into the category of "anti-fun" for melee, but is in no way unbalanced.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:40 AM by Uthred
Glad you know why the playercount is dropping. Also very glad that you know so much about the server even though you just joined a month ago.

Anyways, a simple look on this --> https://playphoenix.online/patch-notes and you would have noticed that we are doing way more than just searching for multi accounts.

But lets stick to the facts as you claim to know them.

First fact is, that your fact is wrong. The rate isnt 9/10. If im not totally wrong the rate should be at 75%, which isnt 9/10. Simple math.

Another fact is that we are doing a research on the intercept rate and, surprise, next fact: this takes time and manpower. And coming to another fact, we are only doing this in our freetime (while you are playing and complaining here).

Fact no. 6 or 7, too lazy to count tbh, is that some times things happen, where we have to change plans and have to focus on different things than were planned. Surpringsly (a lot of surprises in here, right?) this happened shortly when this lovely goldseller guy was going nuts and we had to focus on this first. Or remember the DDOs attacks? (Ah sorry, no. At this time you didnt have an account and werent playing yet. My bad, i forgot.) Or maybe remember when we had to switch in no time the client? Or when this other guy spammed and promoted his radar? I could even tell so much here, but i dont want to bore you. Fact is, these things happen and we dont know when (and sometimes even not why), but if they happen, other things have to wait. Sorry, very sorry. Not.

Next fact (sorry, im not done yet) is that we already solved more than 2k bug reports and only about 350 arent solved yet. Thats a pretty nice ratio, right? Close to your 9/10. Just kidding, Giggles.

Did i forget to mention any more facts? I guess so. Maybe that not all things can be solved as easy as you have "suggested" in here. But therefor you have to open your mind and stop focusing on yourself and your nightshade-that-got-pwned-by-a-sm-pet-point-of-view. But dont worry, thats why we are here. You dont have to deal with such things, we will do the work for you and hopefully (I really, really, really hope very soon) we will have solved that issue to your satisfaction. Irony off: This means we are researching and we are collecting facts and data. This doesnt mean that the rate will get nerfed nor that it will get buffed. It also doesnt mean that we started the research just because of some whiners on the forum. It just means that we are looking into it (we already were before this thread has been opened). But believe it or not, it is not that easy to find out. As soon as we have gathered enough facts and data, we will make a decision if something has to be changed or not.

Last but not least fact: Im going stop now and as this is the "ask the team" section im going to answer your question, even it was really hard to find in your post: Yes, we are looking things up and working on that damn-old bugreport. Thank you for understanding and also for playing Phoenix.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 11:06 AM by Kaziera
#devsalt
Fri 2 Aug 2019 11:27 AM by Merg
The truth is, people are realizing how nasty and boring is playing on a server that is going to die anyway in a few months and they are quitting.

The more the population decreases, the more people will quit, because they fill find themselves roaming around in a empty land, get bored and quit.

Also, the Official World of Wacraft CLASSIC servers are coming in a few weeks. (End of August)
The Free to play Campaign (Endless conquest) is coming in november on the Official DAOC servers.

Gonna be interesting to see the population numbers in november/december. Probably arround 500-600 tops.

The end is near.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 11:34 AM by florin
Merg wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 11:27 AM
The truth is, people are realizing how nasty and boring is playing on a server that is going to die anyway in a few months and they are quitting.

The more the population decreases, the more people will quit, because they fill find themselves roaming around in a empty land, get bored and quit.

Also, the Official World of Wacraft CLASSIC servers are coming in a few weeks. (End of August)
The Free to play Campaign (Endless conquest) is coming in november on the Official DAOC servers.

Gonna be interesting to see the population numbers in november/december. Probably arround 500-600 tops.

The end is near.

And whatever loyalty has been created is eroded by poor attitudes.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 12:09 PM by Druth
Merg wrote:

They promised that for soon to be 2 years, and the first expected was 2018, then 2019. It's not here, and it wont come, they do not have the resources to make it happen.

WoW classic will hurt though.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 12:18 PM by Merg
Druth wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 12:09 PM
Merg wrote:

They promised that for soon to be 2 years, and the first expected was 2018, then 2019. It's not here, and it wont come, they do not have the resources to make it happen.

WoW classic will hurt though.

they sent out a newsletter email yesterday, saying that they will make it happen this fall. i understand its hard to fully believe them, but i think they are going to keep their promise this time.

lets see
Fri 2 Aug 2019 12:26 PM by CronU
Merg wrote:

And this is something the devs cant do anything against.
That is a complete fault of the community and not the devs.
I already mentioned that in other threads.
Uthgard 2 - no QOL's - no incentive to change anything at all. had the exact same result as Phoenix is facing now.
And Phoenix was from the start on a completly diffrent setup then Uthgard.
Alot of QOL's, community can bring in suggestions to improve the server (in some ways, not everything).
But it's simply a fact that almost every DAoC Player is playing this game.. for nostalgia... for (depending on the players) 3-12 months and then they will stop because they get bored of this nostalgic game.

I am really really happy how the staff is handeling this stucked situation. They still fixing stuff day in day out, trying to improve the overall DAoC experince with custom Instances and RP incentives for Solos/Smallmens or now 8mans, by not hurting the zergplayers.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 12:47 PM by Dominus
can't wait!
Fri 2 Aug 2019 1:00 PM by florin
I think if everyone stayed off the forums and discord - we would all complain less
Fri 2 Aug 2019 2:42 PM by Uthred
florin wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 1:00 PM
I think if everyone stayed off the forums and discord - we would all complain less

Very true. Especially those accounts that were just created to spread toxicity in here like the merg one.

[attachment=0]merg.JPG[/attachment]

But probably just a huge coincidence.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 3:11 PM by vxr
Uthred wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 2:42 PM
florin wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 1:00 PM

Very true. Especially those accounts that were just created to spread toxicity in here like the merg one.

merg.JPG

But probably just a huge coincidence.

Hahahahaaha good eye! <3
Just created an account.... 2 hours ago and I can tell from my extensive experience of the loading screen that this server sucks!
GTFOH
Fri 2 Aug 2019 5:42 PM by vxr
mze wrote:
Several people mentioned that in the tracker and there is an open case since more than a year:

Why is this still a thing? Just put a timer on intercept, like on live. The pet can only intercept a hit once every 30 seconds.
Instead of focusing on getting mechanisms that automatically detect crossrealmers or buffbot accounts, you should be going for game balance (which is the real issue why playercount is dropping).

TLDR:
****Out of all 39 classes, SM is the only one not represented in the top 250 RPs
SM doesn't need a nerf, it actually needs a buff according to the numbers I crunched. I don't really think it needs a buff. It is a solid class. Very strong in duels. Just allow the pet to sprint in combat please. Intercept is the bread and butter of the class and the reason I rolled SM. If you nerf intercept, you really need to look into heavily buffing other aspects of the class. I would suggest just leaving it as is (other than sprinting in combat =) ).

Okay now regarding OP:

Can we make some assumptions and agree on some points before we debate this issue.

- First is that the pet intercept is only good solo or duo. The larger the group the less useful intercept is. FGs are not relying on SM pet to intercept.
- Second the intercept is completely useless against casters.
- Thirdly can we agree that the better a class is at something the more likely we will see them in that position? For example assassins/Skalds/Minstrels are better solo than light tanks and therefore there are more of them solo.
- Dueling is not the same as solo and this game is not balanced around either dueling or solo. Pet intercept is very strong in a dueling situation, but doesn't help at all against getting running over by FG. Unlike stealth which is not great in duels but an amazing solo ability.
- DS - almost impossible to get a group for DS as an SM. I only have been in one and that was a guild group.
- Lastly can we agree that SMs aren't heavily utilized in RvR on this server? RvR groups would much more prefer RMs and BDs over SMs.

So if we can agree on these points and that intercepts main use is in solo lets take a look at the solo numbers:

In the top 250 solos: there is only 1 SM out of 250. Lets also point out that this SM is #579 in RPs and #411 in deaths. So that's a bad RP to death ratio.

The following is a list of how many solo kills each class is represented on the top 250 solo kills:
Class CountOfClass
Nightshade 56
Shadowblade 52
Infiltrator 48
Skald 20
Minstrel 20
Scout 9
Hunter 9
Ranger 9
Champion 6
Bonedancer 5
Thane 3
Mercenary 2
Blademaster 2
Necromancer 2
Reaver 2
Warrior 1
Friar 1
Sorcerer 1
Spiritmaster 1
Paladin 1

Okay, fine like I said the game is not balanced around solo. So lets take a look at the top 250 Realm Points on this server
Out of all 39 classes, SM is the only one not represented in the top 250 RPs

Class CountOfClass
Healer 19
Bard 14
Minstrel 13
Sorcerer 13
Shadowblade 12
Skald 12
Infiltrator 11
Druid 11
Shaman 11
Bonedancer 10
Cleric 10
Reaver 8
Ranger 8
Nightshade 7
Berserker 7
Blademaster 6
Runemaster 6
Necromancer 6
Cabalist 5
Enchanter 5
Hero 5
Savage 5
Warrior 5
Mentalist 5
Valewalker 4
Mercenary 4
Eldritch 4
Champion 3
Animist 3
Wizard 3
Hunter 3
Friar 2
Thane 2
Warden 2
Armsman 2
Scout 2
Paladin 1
Theurgist 1

On top of all this, the pet doesn't sprint in combat. So I am usually roaming around without sprinting. If I get hit and I am spiriting the pet will fall behind. Even worse is that the path-finding is some times bugged and I am constantly looping to keep pet within intercept range.

During the 1v1 event, I was unable to kill Wicenz (9L7 minstrel at the time). Not a single round out of our I think 3 matches. Yes, he had to use hit and run tactics, but regardless I was unable to kill him. We had a short chat and we both agreed that if he plays perfectly, that it is near impossible for me to kill him. So Minstrel > SM 1v1 and Minstrel is a requirement for RvR. Nerf minstrels? No.

Same situation with Shelena (9L6 BD at the time of the event). I came close a few times, but I had to kite for days and still could not kill.

In conclusion: If you nerf intercept, what is left for the SM? What role does it play? I guess I can farm hulks all day long.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 7:07 PM by Isavyr
Bombzz, pretty good points. I think the poster is more concerned that 1) he didn't win a fight and is probably experiencing 2) general Assassin frustrations.

It really has little to do with SM, imo. I've killed SMs on my nightshade from fast/consistent rupts. Who knows what this guy was doing, but my guess is he's using slowest PA weapon, and then frustrated when he isn't rupting the SM with it reliably.

The SM is a unique class and, having both played against them and played on them, I don't see any reason for modification. Assassins, on the other hand, not in a good place, in my opinion. They do only do a few jobs well: [1] provide intel (which they aren't rewarded for) [2] attack casters on walls and maybe [3] find archers (not really sure that they do it well, or whether its even good).

Most of the time, though, they're just "griefer"s, attacking XPers or casters that cannot fight back. There entire design is bad, and the game would be better off, imo, either without them entirely, or a rehaul.
Fri 2 Aug 2019 9:48 PM by gotwqqd
Nice arguments to validate the SM class is NOT overpowered.
Mon 5 Aug 2019 7:42 AM by Anelyn77
vxr wrote:
Fri 2 Aug 2019 5:42 PM
mze wrote:

TLDR:
****Out of all 39 classes, SM is the only one not represented in the top 250 RPs
SM doesn't need a nerf, it actually needs a buff according to the numbers I crunched. I don't really think it needs a buff. It is a solid class. Very strong in duels. Just allow the pet to sprint in combat please. Intercept is the bread and butter of the class and the reason I rolled SM. If you nerf intercept, you really need to look into heavily buffing other aspects of the class. I would suggest just leaving it as is (other than sprinting in combat =) ).

Okay now regarding OP:

Can we make some assumptions and agree on some points before we debate this issue.

- First is that the pet intercept is only good solo or duo. The larger the group the less useful intercept is. FGs are not relying on SM pet to intercept.
- Thirdly can we agree that the better a class is at something the more likely we will see them in that position? For example assassins/Skalds/Minstrels are better solo than light tanks and therefore there are more of them solo.
- Dueling is not the same as solo and this game is not balanced around either dueling or solo. Pet intercept is very strong in a dueling situation, but doesn't help at all against getting running over by FG. Unlike stealth which is not great in duels but an amazing solo ability.
- DS - almost impossible to get a group for DS as an SM. I only have been in one and that was a guild group.
- Lastly can we agree that SMs aren't heavily utilized in RvR on this server? RvR groups would much more prefer RMs and BDs over SMs.

So if we can agree on these points and that intercepts main use is in solo lets take a look at the solo numbers:

In the top 250 solos: there is only 1 SM out of 250. Lets also point out that this SM is #579 in RPs and #411 in deaths. So that's a bad RP to death ratio.

The following is a list of how many solo kills each class is represented on the top 250 solo kills:
Class CountOfClass
Nightshade 56
Shadowblade 52
Infiltrator 48
Skald 20
Minstrel 20
Scout 9
Hunter 9
Ranger 9
Champion 6
Bonedancer 5
Thane 3
Mercenary 2
Blademaster 2
Necromancer 2
Reaver 2
Warrior 1
Friar 1
Sorcerer 1
Spiritmaster 1
Paladin 1

Okay, fine the like I said the game is not balanced around solo. So lets take a look at the top 250 Realm Points on this server

Class CountOfClass
Healer 19
Bard 14
Minstrel 13
Sorcerer 13
Shadowblade 12
Skald 12
Infiltrator 11
Druid 11
Shaman 11
Bonedancer 10
Cleric 10
Reaver 8
Ranger 8
Nightshade 7
Berserker 7
Blademaster 6
Runemaster 6
Necromancer 6
Cabalist 5
Enchanter 5
Hero 5
Savage 5
Warrior 5
Mentalist 5
Valewalker 4
Mercenary 4
Eldritch 4
Champion 3
Animist 3
Wizard 3
Hunter 3
Friar 2
Thane 2
Warden 2
Armsman 2
Scout 2
Paladin 1
Theurgist 1

On top of all this, the pet doesn't sprint in combat. So I am usually roaming around without sprinting. If I get hit and I am spiriting the pet will fall behind. Even worse is that the path-finding is some times bugged and I am constantly looping to keep pet within intercept range.

During the 1v1 event, I was unable to kill Wicenz (9L7 minstrel at the time). Not a single round out of our I think 3 matches. Yes, he had to use hit and run tactics, but regardless I was unable to kill him. We had a short chat and we both agreed that if he plays perfectly, that it is near impossible for me to kill him. So Minstrel > SM 1v1 and Minstrel is a requirement for RvR. Nerf minstrels? No.

Same situation with Shelena (9L6 BD at the time of the event). I came close a few times, but I had to kite for days and still could not kill.

In conclusion: If you nerf intercept, what is left for the SM? What role does it play? I guess I can farm hulks all day long.

If they give your pet sprint, I want necro pets to sprint as well to maintain the balance, would you agree on that? (and maybe add some procs to lower ranks of pets to make them more interesting and more options, one could proc an unbreakable snare, other a disease, other a stun). But at least the sprint (when caster sprints).

Cheers <3

/Aicha's bunch of toons.
Mon 5 Aug 2019 12:29 PM by vxr
Anelyn77 wrote:
Mon 5 Aug 2019 7:42 AM
vxr wrote:
mze wrote:

TLDR:

Okay now regarding OP:

Class CountOfClass
Nightshade 56
Shadowblade 52
Infiltrator 48
Skald 20
Minstrel 20
Scout 9
Hunter 9
Ranger 9
Champion 6
Bonedancer 5
Thane 3
Mercenary 2
Blademaster 2
Necromancer 2
Reaver 2
Warrior 1
Friar 1
Sorcerer 1
Spiritmaster 1
Paladin 1

Okay, fine the like I said the game is not balanced around solo. So lets take a look at the top 250 Realm Points on this server

Class CountOfClass
Healer 19
Bard 14
Minstrel 13
Sorcerer 13
Shadowblade 12
Skald 12
Infiltrator 11
Druid 11
Shaman 11
Bonedancer 10
Cleric 10
Reaver 8
Ranger 8
Nightshade 7
Berserker 7
Blademaster 6
Runemaster 6
Necromancer 6
Cabalist 5
Enchanter 5
Hero 5
Savage 5
Warrior 5
Mentalist 5
Valewalker 4
Mercenary 4
Eldritch 4
Champion 3
Animist 3
Wizard 3
Hunter 3
Friar 2
Thane 2
Warden 2
Armsman 2
Scout 2
Paladin 1
Theurgist 1

If they give your pet sprint, I want necro pets to sprint as well to maintain the balance, would you agree on that? (and maybe add some procs to lower ranks of pets to make them more interesting and more options, one could proc an unbreakable snare, other a disease, other a stun). But at least the sprint (when caster sprints).

Cheers <3

/Aicha's bunch of toons.

Really? I didn't realize that necro pet doesn't sprint in combat. How come when I am trying to kite necros the pet always seems to lag behind? Or if the necro decides to run/kite me the pet cannot keep up. And yes, I do think they should sprint if they don't. I am not sure about those procs though lol.
Mon 5 Aug 2019 1:24 PM by florin
You chatterboxes will get it nerfed but necro pet seems to be faster than sprint like hunter pet. It will outrun me to catch someone while I’m on realm speed and sprint.
Mon 5 Aug 2019 1:27 PM by florin
vxr wrote:
Mon 5 Aug 2019 12:29 PM
Anelyn77 wrote:
Mon 5 Aug 2019 7:42 AM
vxr wrote:
TLDR:

Okay now regarding OP:

Class CountOfClass
Nightshade 56
Shadowblade 52
Infiltrator 48
Skald 20
Minstrel 20
Scout 9
Hunter 9
Ranger 9
Champion 6
Bonedancer 5
Thane 3
Mercenary 2
Blademaster 2
Necromancer 2
Reaver 2
Warrior 1
Friar 1
Sorcerer 1
Spiritmaster 1
Paladin 1

Class CountOfClass
Healer 19
Bard 14
Minstrel 13
Sorcerer 13
Shadowblade 12
Skald 12
Infiltrator 11
Druid 11
Shaman 11
Bonedancer 10
Cleric 10
Reaver 8
Ranger 8
Nightshade 7
Berserker 7
Blademaster 6
Runemaster 6
Necromancer 6
Cabalist 5
Enchanter 5
Hero 5
Savage 5
Warrior 5
Mentalist 5
Valewalker 4
Mercenary 4
Eldritch 4
Champion 3
Animist 3
Wizard 3
Hunter 3
Friar 2
Thane 2
Warden 2
Armsman 2
Scout 2
Paladin 1
Theurgist 1

Cheers <3

/Aicha's bunch of toons.

Really? I didn't realize that necro pet doesn't sprint in combat. How come when I am trying to kite necros the pet always seems to lag behind? Or if the necro decides to run/kite me the pet cannot keep up. And yes, I do think they should sprint if they don't. I am not sure about those procs though lol.

It’s poor control on the player. They should snare you, wait for pet to catch up if it was a pet snare and not ichor. Newer necros tend to out run the pet while it’s casting
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics