Will this game run on Linux?

Started 27 Mar 2019
by chryso
in Support Center
I was thinking about how I used to run this game on a 300MHZ pc back in the day and I was looking at my raspberry pi 3 sitting next to the television.
That got me to wondering if I could run phoenix on raspbian or a similar OS. Has anyone tried this with any success?
Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:02 AM by longrb
short tldr; NO, BUT YES, but no.

A single board computer aka pi3 running daoc in linux.

ask urself, How well would an android phone with 1gb of Ram handle daoc? After it uses a bit of the 1gb for graphic processing, also the gui you will likely want unless you're bash savy and know exactly what you're building (file system, device blocks, package manager with repos, and ..... nvm this can't be a tldr short.

Anyhow, before I step over my own toes troubleshooting how many ways this could be done , here u should read up a little here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/nuget/faqs/nuget-faq

here

https://github.com/Dawn-of-Light/DOLSharp

also

see here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

if this all looks like a pain in the ass at that point. the answer is just no.

but yes!

So many ways you could. Likely u could build even build a playable daoc client for android, and when you do, please share the open source for us all to get this on touch screen tablets!

but NO!

You're likely not going to have the resources needed to work around the fact that daoc was built to run optimal in a windows environment, they put shit tons of money in making sure they could use as few resources as possible in doing so to reach the largest audience they could cost effectively.

also pi3 is Arm. gonna be some moar work to get that goin.

The too longer didn't read:

However, Comma,

It's Linux. You can Build it however the F u want. No one can tell you the answer is no. EA would've liked you to believe long ago that it's impossible to emulate daoc at all.

The Gamebryo system is a suite of modular C++ libraries. Game developers can combine and extend the libraries to modify the engine for a particular game. Gamebryo's design emphasises a rapid prototyping approach aimed at an iterative development process.

The Gamebryo engine supports several deployment platforms including Microsoft Windows (DirectX 6-11), Mac, iOS, Android, Linux(OpenGL), Gamecube, Wii/WiiWare, PSX, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Gamebryo 4.0 is the latest version of the engine, designed to merge the original Gamebryo system with its LightSpeed spin-off.

NetImmerse games
Game Year Platform(s) Developer Publisher
Dark Age of Camelot 2001 Windows Mythic Entertainment Vivendi Universal Games

so this means with effort, some probing, compiling, and wee bit of reverse engineering (likely) you can run daoc on linux as a user client connected to phoenix.

You can run almost anything on Linux. But for windows based games, you'll have to use WINE, and mono, and possibly suffer without official graphics card drivers depending on system. with that said, heres some things to consider.

You may be looking at compiling the client yourself , check into DOL emulator for info on that i imagine.

or, as above, check around for a repository containing, WINE, MONO and a few other things you'lll need. all of these will take system resources on top of DAOCs minimum requirements. Wines official desc.

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator" is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

probably the most stable, yet resource consuming IMO is to well, use a virtual machine, install windows in the virtual machine, install daoc in the virtual windows environment... and at this point , wtf.

Final thoughts: Rants!

daoc on linux, sure, but not worth the time to even read this damn post

Did that stop anyone? Hell no! Why not? Because we ask questions like this: can u play daoc on linux? can you play nintendo games on a sega saturn? is merdian 59 open source for realz?! Do you think my mother knows she can already use linux and does so every time she picks up her samsung galaxy to asks me why her brand new desktop is so slow "because i just see a spinning wheel on facebook, what do you mean call internet tech support and ask the technician if they even know what the difference is between a megabit and a megabyte?

If you read this far, and still sort of follow, you may be realizing what I now have.

The real challenge is found when we start asking this
"Can we run linux in daoc? Windows? Mac? "
is that the real purpose of the relics? Can they be used to open a shell inside the shell?
Thu 28 Mar 2019 12:13 PM by chryso
Thank you for the interesting and detailed reply. So the answer is "probably" with a lot of work but it would likely not run well.
I have noticed that even RetroPie causes it to run hot. I can imagine that a zerg would probably cause a heat shut down in no time.
Tue 9 Apr 2019 1:40 PM by raghh
runs flawlessly on any ubuntu release since beta launch.

https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4634&p=29141&hilit=Linux#p29141
Sat 11 Jan 2020 11:49 PM by SonicWaringham
I gonna try DAoC on my old device.
SM-G930F (Samsung Galaxy S7)

Guess qemu should work on Kali Linux, any advices for Kernel rebuild?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/development/kernel-kali-nethunter-galaxy-s7-t3475407
if it shouldn't work anyway -> proxmox

Gonna take some time, overall the mobile device hardware performance reached awesome Level!

This leaves only the software as a reason that it shouldn't work. But software can be customized.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Support Center or the latest topics