Is My Character Name Okay? - Don't Want It Changed

Started 9 May 2020
by Urzawolf
in Support Center
I rolled a new Valewalker and was trying out garden related names and noticed the name "Hoe", was available, so I took it. My question is, will this result in any sort of ban or name change due to the similarity to the word "ho"? Per Google, the definition of a Hoe is a garden tool, which seems perfect for a Valewalker. Furthermore when the word "ho" is spelt as "hoe" it is actually a misspelling of the word. Anyways, I spend a lot of time picking names for my toons, so I don't want to spend time leveling it up if it will be changed to something I don't like. Let me know and I can change my name if needed. Thanks!
Sat 9 May 2020 7:44 PM by easytoremember
You'll get reported a lot for it by underage unaware of it being an actual word
Should be fine still
Sat 9 May 2020 8:09 PM by Quik
Pretty sure our dev's are smart enough to understand hoe is a tool used in gardening and your a nature based toon.
Sat 9 May 2020 8:14 PM by gotwqqd
Urzawolf wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 7:25 PM
Anyways, I spend a lot of time picking names for my toons...

Well, maybe on your other characters
Sat 9 May 2020 8:38 PM by dbj
Quik wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 8:09 PM
Pretty sure our dev's are smart enough to understand hoe is a tool used in gardening and your a nature based toon.

That's sexist
Sat 9 May 2020 8:41 PM by Quik
dbj wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 8:38 PM
Quik wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 8:09 PM

That's sexist

I bet some people might actually think that. Been trying to convince my wife I'm sexist for years to no avail...yet.
Mon 11 May 2020 1:19 AM by watbrif
Not a native speaker myself - but I don't think you have to shorten that name in order to to have 9/10 people associate it with something else; which begs the question why you would want to give your character that name. But in a world of Elon Musks - who am I to judge.
Mon 11 May 2020 4:11 PM by Urzawolf
watbrif wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020 1:19 AM
Not a native speaker myself - but I don't think you have to shorten that name in order to to have 9/10 people associate it with something else; which begs the question why you would want to give your character that name. But in a world of Elon Musks - who am I to judge.

I wanted to name my character something garden related, and names such as farmer, scythe, harvester, etc. were all taken. As you indicate, you are "associating it with something else" just because you can do that, does it mean it should also be banned as a name? Are words that can have multiple meanings and interpretations going to get my character named changed, if they are spelled the way it should be for something non-offensive? I don't want to end up leveling up a toon to have it changed to randomnamenumbernine.
Mon 11 May 2020 5:17 PM by Quik
Urzawolf wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020 4:11 PM
watbrif wrote:

I wanted to name my character something garden related, and names such as farmer, scythe, harvester, etc. were all taken. As you indicate, you are "associating it with something else" just because you can do that, does it mean it should also be banned as a name? Are words that can have multiple meanings and interpretations going to get my character named changed, if they are spelled the way it should be for something non-offensive? I don't want to end up leveling up a toon to have it changed to randomnamenumbernine.

A hoe is an actual gardening tool and is used ALL the time. I work at a retail store and we sell hoes and I have never had anyone EVER complain about what it is called.

Having said that, you will have people complain but I have a feeling that the dev's will understand.

It is amazing at what people make themselves get offended at...
Mon 11 May 2020 10:47 PM by watbrif
Urzawolf wrote:
watbrif wrote:

I doubt it would be changed. I think if you double-check with a GM on discord you'd get a definite answer. Us lesser mortals can only guess anyway.
Mon 11 May 2020 11:28 PM by Patron
Yes, check up with Uthred is the best base for this name. Its funny that religious names like jesus or mohamed is forbidden but a GMs name is SAI BABA. Very funny

Beside this, i dont care for special names.
I had in UO for 10 years a Tamer called Dixlap.
After 2 month on Genesis i was forced to change the name...
Ofc i dont want names like Auschwitz or Hitler or such bs, but for me personally, the name Hoe sounds funny, and much more funny is, its a gardening tool. In German it called Hacke. Funny again because its a description for the feeling after 2 beer too much
Mon 11 May 2020 11:30 PM by Quik
Patron wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020 11:28 PM
Yes, check up with Uthred is the best base for this name. Its funny that religious names like jesus or mohamed is forbidden but a GMs name is SAI BABA. Very funny

Beside this, i dont care for special names.
I had in UO for 10 years a Tamer called Dixlap.
After 2 month on Genesis i was forced to change the name...
Ofc i dont want names like Auschwitz or Hitler or such bs, but for me personally, the name Hoe sounds funny, and much more funny is, its a gardening tool. In German it called Hacke. Funny again because its a description for the feeling after 2 beer too much

Hacke is German for a hoe and also means being drunk? OMG that's great I'm gonna have to use that here.
Mon 11 May 2020 11:39 PM by Patron
A new star is born
Tue 12 May 2020 9:56 AM by inoeth
Quik wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020 5:17 PM
Urzawolf wrote:
watbrif wrote:

A hoe is an actual gardening tool and is used ALL the time. I work at a retail store and we sell hoes and I have never had anyone EVER complain about what it is called.

Having said that, you will have people complain but I have a feeling that the dev's will understand.

could not refrain from laughing
languages are so funny sometimes
Tue 12 May 2020 4:05 PM by Quik
inoeth wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020 9:56 AM
Quik wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020 5:17 PM
Urzawolf wrote:

could not refrain from laughing
languages are so funny sometimes

LOL I knew when I wrote this it was a bad idea
Sun 21 Jun 2020 2:12 AM by Failwalker
No worries. I've seen people running arround that literlly were named Sperm,shit or thot. GM said its fine... OK then.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Support Center or the latest topics