The Realm Switch Timer: Questions and Answers.

Started 3 Sep 2019
by romulus
in Support Center
Hi!
There are always a lot of questions about the Realm Switch Timer on the forums and on Discord. I wanted to create a Q & A post that can be linked from other places whenever someone has a question about the timer and how it works. Here are some of the more common questions and their answers.

Q: What is the Realm Switch Timer?
A: Here on Phoenix you can create and play characters in all three realms, with one little condition: once you are involved in action in an RvR zone on one realm, you are prohibited from entering an RvR zone on a different realm for 4 hours.

Q: What does "action in an RvR zone" mean?
A: Action is defined as any involvement in a player or mob kill. This also includes if you die in an RvR area or are healing someone who is fighting a mob or another player in an RvR area.

Q: What are the RvR zones?
A: RvR zones are any zone where RvR combat may occur. These areas include the Frontiers, Battlegrounds, Darkness Falls, and Paths of Conflict/Summoners Hall.

Q: I joined a BG and but all I see are XXX sent something from an RvR zone. What gives?
A: If you join a battlegroup while you still have an active timer from a different realm, you will not be able to receive battlegroup messages until your timer expires.

Q: Is there any way to know how much time is left on my realm switch timer?
A: Yes! You can use the in-game command /timer which will tell you if you have an active timer, which realm you are currently locked to, and how much time remains on it for your account.

Q: When I log into the game, I am at the realm select screen. Is this normal?
A: Yes. This is perfectly normal. You can always log into any realm if you want to PvE. You are only prohibited from entering an RvR area if you have an active realm timer from a different realm.

Q: I am in-game and when I try to port to the Frontier/DF/BG it is taking me to my capital city instead?
A: This means that you have an active realm timer and you will be unable to enter your desired location until it expires.

Q: I can't enter an RvR zone but /timer says I have no active timer?
A: This usually happens when someone in your household has an active timer. Until their timer is expired, you will be treated as being on the same timer. For players that use VPNs, household can include other players that use the same ingress IP address.

Q: I don't hang around on the forums much. Where else can I get realm timer info?
A: You can use the command !realmtimer in the #bot-commands channel of the Phoenix discord server for a realm timer rules summary.

Hopefully, this helps folks understand the Realm Switch Timer and how they can manage their RvR playtime on different realms a little bit better! Let me know if you have any further questions, or if I got something wrong (It happens!)

NOTE: I update this document to keep it relevant to the current realm timer information. Some posts in this thread might not be relevant to the current timer implementation!

Happy gaming!
/hugs
:hugging:
Wed 4 Sep 2019 6:22 AM by Uthred
Sticky.
Tue 26 Nov 2019 12:33 AM by sylvynyr
Not sure if its just me, but the Realm-Switch Timer app (which is pretty awesome btw, thanks!) seems to look at the wrong directory.

The app is hardcoded to look at:
%APPDATA%\Electronic Arts\Dark Age of Camelot[b]phoenix[/b]

But my directory appears to be:
%APPDATA%\Electronic Arts\Dark Age of Camelot[b]LotM[/b]

I found the code in the included Form1.cs file:
https://github.com/tamlan-tenderheart/RealmSwitchTimer/blob/master/RealmSwitchTimer/Form1.cs
private FileSystemInfo getMostRecentlyUpdatedIniFile()
{
DirectoryInfo DirInfo = new DirectoryInfo(
Path.Combine(
Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData),
"Electronic Arts",
"Dark Age of Camelot",
"phoenix");

and changed the last line to:
private FileSystemInfo getMostRecentlyUpdatedIniFile()
{
DirectoryInfo DirInfo = new DirectoryInfo(
Path.Combine(
Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData),
"Electronic Arts",
"Dark Age of Camelot",
"LotM");

Then recompiled with this command:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe RealmSwitchTimer.csproj

Which seemed to create a new exe here:
...\RealmSwitchTimer-master\RealmSwitchTimer\bin\Debug\RealmSwitchTimer.exe

Which now works as expected

YMMV
Tue 26 Nov 2019 8:24 AM by majky666
Perfect, this is what was needed. Thanks for post this Q&A.
Wed 27 Nov 2019 7:12 PM by romulus
sylvynyr wrote:
Tue 26 Nov 2019 12:33 AM
Not sure if its just me, but the Realm-Switch Timer app (which is pretty awesome btw, thanks!) seems to look at the wrong directory.

Hi sylvynyr!
It seems that for some the data directory is \phoenix and for some, it is \LoTM. I'm not sure why that is exactly, but I suspect it has something to do with whether you played Live before installing Phoenix (I had not).
I will change the code to work with either condition and upload a fix. Thanks for the hotfix ad instructions for folks that are using \LoTM, and I'm glad you like the tool!

/hugs
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Support Center or the latest topics