Cast effects visually too small

Started 13 Aug 2019
by zuluhead
in Support Center
Hi,

since a few days, i have a interesting problem with my Client - Cast effects are visually way too small, so i often can't see them. Asked in /advice if others have the problem too, and yes, i'm not alone with this.

Example: When i cast "Sould Vacuum" with my Necro, it should display a large, reddish effect above the mob. The effect is so small, that with regular mobs it's not visible, with small mobs, it's barely visible.

What i already tried:

- Completely wiping DAOC off my PC (including Registry Keys and AppData Folder) and doing a complete, clean reinstall -> Same issue
- Installed DAOC on my wife's PC, which has a different GPU than mine (Mine: AMD Radeon RX470, Hers: NVIDIA GTX 1060) -> Same issue
- Fiddled around with various driver settings (Shader Cache, ...) -> Same issue

Does anyone has an idea what to do? It's hard to play without these effects as i have to rely on the Message window to determine if my spell has resisted or not.

Zuluhead
Tue 13 Aug 2019 6:26 AM by REVOLTE
1. stop playing necro. its a broken ass garbage class thats not balanced in the slightest
2. what has changed at your end? reinstall, driver patch, etc. etc.
3. is the issue client and/or class/spell/mobspecific? (do other ppl with the same class have the same issue on the same mob? does the spell effect look the same for a third person?)
4. stop playing necro.
5. looking forward for more qualified responses since this sounds super abuseable ♥
Tue 13 Aug 2019 7:02 AM by zuluhead
From what i've read on /advice, it's not only a necro issue, a wizard told me he has the same issue since a few days.

From what i can tell, nothing has changed on my side, except for the things i already tried and mentioned above. Eventually a Windows update which has been installed in the background, but i'm not entirely sure and have to check when at home. Why should this be abuseable? It's super shitty to not see your cast effect, it's like "/effects none" all the time (and yes, i have "/effects all" enabled :-))

I can't stop playing Necro, i simply like them too much ;-)
Tue 13 Aug 2019 7:12 AM by REVOLTE
weird. and interesting.

it would be abuseable in a way that if its recreatable and theres a way to force spell effects to be smaller than intended, there might possibly also be a way to enlargen them. imagine a caster firing a huge flare gun everytime they cast a spell. pretty neat.
Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:47 AM by zuluhead
After doing a little more research on this, it seems, that the problem only affects some mobs ...

Example where the effect isn't visible:

(exactly at this moment, there should be the effect above the mob). Example where the effect is shown as expected (taken 1 minute before the above screenshot, same client, no relog):

Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:01 AM by Sepplord
Don't know if this is the problem, or if it is just similar/related

but i have noticed that some mobs get the cast-effects shown inside their models.
While some mobs would have the effect above their heads/bodies, some others i would think the effect isn't shown but then notice that it clips a little bit out of the chest of the mob.
Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:12 AM by zuluhead
It seems that you encountered the problem too :-)
Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:42 PM by Dominus
haven't played in a while, but I noticed that cast effects would disappear altogether at times.. seemed like a server side issue as many people (at the time) responded in /advice when I brought up the issue that they were having the same issue (at the same time).
Tue 13 Aug 2019 1:34 PM by gruenesschaf
Dominus wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:42 PM
haven't played in a while, but I noticed that cast effects would disappear altogether at times.. seemed like a server side issue as many people (at the time) responded in /advice when I brought up the issue that they were having the same issue (at the same time).

It's a client issue. At some point it just stops showing effects altogether or at least for yourself, e. g. the well known bug when playing a pbae class in pve for some time that it doesn't show the spell animation anymore, a similar thing can happen with effects on enemies but that's usually rarer.
Then there is also a somewhat related issue that the client can't show certain spell effects together, a somewhat common one (or at least important one where it actually becomes obvious) where that happens is SoS, if certain effects have started very recently (within the last 50ish to 100ms) and are still ongoing the sos animation is just not shown.
Tue 13 Aug 2019 3:29 PM by zuluhead
So essentially, i'm forced to wait until EA releases a fix for the client?
Tue 13 Aug 2019 4:47 PM by gruenesschaf
zuluhead wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019 3:29 PM

If it only affects certain mobs and does so on multiple installations you can be reasonably sure that it's just the way that effect plays on those and is not something that will ever be fixed.
Wed 14 Aug 2019 2:29 AM by gotwqqd
I’ve found this problem depending on the skins of mobs

For instance one of the single target dots of a mentalist(base or spec) the effect cannot be seen when cast on the humanoid mobs that are with the white boars
Wed 14 Aug 2019 5:08 AM by REVOLTE
gruenesschaf wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019 1:34 PM
Then there is also a somewhat related issue that the client can't show certain spell effects together, a somewhat common one (or at least important one where it actually becomes obvious) where that happens is SoS, if certain effects have started very recently (within the last 50ish to 100ms) and are still ongoing the sos animation is just not shown.

THAT explains a LOT.
thank you!
Wed 14 Aug 2019 6:38 AM by Sepplord
zuluhead wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019 3:29 PM

You could also just deal with it and enjoy the rest of the game. It is hardly a gamebreaking bug
Wed 14 Aug 2019 2:13 PM by Ashok
Most noticeably IMO when the target is casting + actually starts moving the moment your effect is applied; removing any visual effect.
Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:25 PM by florin
Sounds like the same issue with those mobs I reported 7 months ago
https://tracker.playphoenix.online/issues/004bab33-73bc-49cb-ae45-961214f0a5a5
Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:32 PM by gruenesschaf
florin wrote:
Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:25 PM
Sounds like the same issue with those mobs I reported 7 months ago
https://tracker.playphoenix.online/issues/004bab33-73bc-49cb-ae45-961214f0a5a5

Yep, some mobs just are weird. The choice is basically between no animation and the proper model or using a different model / replacing the mob entirely.
Thu 22 Aug 2019 5:04 PM by stripperrella
i don't know if i am right, but i would test with different mob sizes, it could eventually fix the problem or have caused it.
Anyway my first though was video drivers kinda ^^

Hope i have helped. this is a thing only staff can do. if you need help testing it, i belive many would do right on.

peace
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Support Center or the latest topics