All Thanes (and Valkewalkers) can use staves, so do it!

Started 10 Jun 2019
by Anelyn77
in Midgard
The reason behind this post, is to help new and old thane players by pointing out that they - as a hybrid caster - can use / equip a staff.

Why would you want to do that you may ask? Well the answer is simple, all RoG staves have 50 focus in all spell lines. What does that do for you directly? It greatly reduces your power consumption when chain casting (be it AoE hammers, or single target DD).

This only works on true casting hybrids, like Valkewalker and Thane, albion does not have such a class (to my knowledge), and does not affect other hybrids (like skald for example).

And 2nd part is to even further help you guys use that staff. Simply put make this macro:

/macro Staff /switch 2h <slot> ---------------- Where <slot> is the number of the slot in your backpack, you have 5 bags each can contain up to 8 items.

What this macro will do, is simply switch between your equipped 2h item (be it the staff or the 2h hammer in thane case - most cases, as some go sword or axe w/e), with a simple click. This does not reset your swing timer! You can instantly style your 2h, or slam if you swap to your 1h/shield.

What I do is normally put my staff (or 2h) in the bag 5, last slot, because I never use /moveitem sell #bag5 - EVER, so I won't accidentally sell my staff or 2h.

Hope this will help you all have a smoother leveling, more fun (Cause more hammers spam) in raids and bg keep takes / retakes. If you find yourself having troubles getting the macro to work, please feel free to poke for me in EJ Alliance, I'm a proud member of Chaos guild, and simply ask for Ashami / Aesha / Anelyn / Bnotashamed / Ashamie, most of allies (<3 much you guys) know me by now and can point you in my direction!

Happy Hammers Time everyone!

/Bnotashamed R3l9 pac healer

PS: as of posting this - just remembered to mention it as is part of the reason why I made the thread - I helped 49 thanes of various levels from various guilds to use staves, and am sure there are more out there that MAY not know about it.

PPS: I take no credit for this, is just basic information I had knowledge of, and happy to share with everyone interested, is not an exploit or anything of sorts, it is a game mechanic.
Mon 10 Jun 2019 5:26 PM by vxr
That's interesting. I thought focus only worked on pure casters.
Mon 10 Jun 2019 5:34 PM by Anelyn77
Thanes and VWs are considered casting hybrids, as they have nukes with cast time And it works, give it a try
Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:13 PM by kvothe
Anelyn77 wrote:
Mon 10 Jun 2019 5:34 PM
Thanes and VWs are considered casting hybrids, as they have nukes with cast time And it works, give it a try
Well its a bug thx for sharing.
Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:16 PM by Anelyn77
If it is a bug, then fix it by all means, just surprised that "nobody" knew about it until now, as I learnt about it on Hib when leveling my valewalker.
Tue 11 Jun 2019 11:15 AM by inoeth
Anelyn77 wrote:
Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:16 PM
If it is a bug, then fix it by all means, just surprised that "nobody" knew about it until now, as I learnt about it on Hib when leveling my valewalker.

valewalker is different since he starts as a caster therefore he is mor like a caster who can melee, also single focus staves which have focus on aboreal path should work
with thanes its the opposite, hes meele who can do casting... if focus worked on thanes, its clearly a bug
Tue 11 Jun 2019 1:45 PM by dbeattie71
Anelyn77 wrote:
Mon 10 Jun 2019 6:16 PM

I did that with my VW, LT with staff, switch for melee.
Wed 12 Jun 2019 8:57 AM by Sepplord
i agree that it shouldn't work on thanes, and thought it would also not work on VW...but if it does...that's a good tip

i was expecting this to be about faking being a squishy caster (which is also a good thing to do)
Thu 13 Jun 2019 5:55 AM by Dunga
Doesnt work for me (Thane).... it doesnt matter if i wear a 50 fokus staff, a 2hander, nothing,.... i always cast the same amount of spells till im ooc. (testet with the single dd).
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics