Hunters: How do you deal with Assassins?

Started 1 Feb 2019
by Nebu
in Midgard
Fellow Hunters,
I'm currently a 2L6 Hunter and find that I really struggle when I encounter assassins. Right now I have Long Wind, Tireless, and Purge 2 as my RA's. Any suggestions on how I can improve against assassins? All input welcome.
Mon 4 Feb 2019 9:34 AM by rawlph
really not much of a chance for you. try to avoid main routes and obvious positions
Mon 4 Feb 2019 12:43 PM by dudis
Does envenoms work on this server if you get an assassin buddy to aply them to your weapons?

If so, keep a bag of 1h swords in your invenotry with slow-poison to help you get some distance (and hope the other guy didnt use one on you).

Kinda cheesy but meh
Mon 4 Feb 2019 2:04 PM by inoeth
dudis wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 12:43 PM
Does envenoms work on this server if you get an assassin buddy to aply them to your weapons?

If so, keep a bag of 1h swords in your invenotry with slow-poison to help you get some distance (and hope the other guy didnt use one on you).

Kinda cheesy but meh

wont help you because you die whithin the stun after pa
Mon 4 Feb 2019 2:09 PM by dudis
inoeth wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 2:04 PM
dudis wrote:

Kinda cheesy but meh

That's what purge and IP are for I suppose. At least you can win a fight every 15 minutes!
Mon 4 Feb 2019 3:15 PM by inoeth
dudis wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 2:09 PM
inoeth wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 2:04 PM
dudis wrote:

Kinda cheesy but meh

That's what purge and IP are for I suppose. At least you can win a fight every 15 minutes!

well you dont in most cases thats the point...
Mon 4 Feb 2019 3:58 PM by Thinal
It gets much easier once you get IP. The RAs you have I'd agree should have been first (Tireless/LW/purge2), but IP should take all your realm points for a while. IP4 (65%) is about where I'd stop and look around at other RAs.

The assassins do not get IP, which is why this makes a difference.
Mon 4 Feb 2019 5:48 PM by Nebu
I agree completely and have finally purchased IP 1. I plan to get at least IP3 before looking at other RA's.

As an aside: As an experiment, I initiated combat on a RR6 inf running visible toward me while I was stealthed. I hit him with a crit shot (35 bow spec) and had time for 2 more shots while he closed (both evaded). He hit me and then evaded and stunned me, which I purged. We exchanged for a bit before I ultimately died leaving him at half health.

While looking at the logs, I noticed that his main hand was hitting for almost as much as my spear (within 12 on most shots). This was with me purging his weakness poison along with his stun. My melee resists are capped in case you were wondering.

Seems bow and 2h are a bit weaker than I had anticipated. Right now at my RR I can really only attack wounded, sitting, or Low rr caster enemies with any reasonable chance of success. Some of this is my own errors, which I'm learning from.
Mon 4 Feb 2019 7:05 PM by j.camp633
Nebu wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 5:48 PM
I agree completely and have finally purchased IP 1. I plan to get at least IP3 before looking at other RA's.

As an aside: As an experiment, I initiated combat on a RR6 inf running visible toward me while I was stealthed. I hit him with a crit shot (35 bow spec) and had time for 2 more shots while he closed (both evaded). He hit me and then evaded and stunned me, which I purged. We exchanged for a bit before I ultimately died leaving him at half health.

While looking at the logs, I noticed that his main hand was hitting for almost as much as my spear (within 12 on most shots). This was with me purging his weakness poison along with his stun. My melee resists are capped in case you were wondering.

Seems bow and 2h are a bit weaker than I had anticipated. Right now at my RR I can really only attack wounded, sitting, or Low rr caster enemies with any reasonable chance of success. Some of this is my own errors, which I'm learning from.

Your biggest problem is your spec.
Yes assassins are going to always be a tough fight for you, but you can’t spec 35 bow 35 spear at low RR and expect to do enough damage.

I would Spec 50 bow, 40 beast and try to kite and only use your spear out of desperation.
Mon 4 Feb 2019 7:35 PM by Nebu
j.camp633 wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 7:05 PM
Your biggest problem is your spec.
Yes assassins are going to always be a tough fight for you, but you can’t spec 35 bow 35 spear at low RR and expect to do enough damage.

I would Spec 50 bow, 40 beast and try to kite and only use your spear out of desperation.

I'm 35 Bow, 39 Spear, 40 BC. Not sure where you got the 35 spear from. The difference in bow damage from 35 to 50 is pretty small for the number of points invested, so I opted against that. I also find that kiting is only effective against hibs as most infs have a pet minstrel for speed.

Have you played a hunter on this server at endgame? I don't see one in your sig.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 8:58 AM by inoeth
50 weapon is the way to go to reduce assassins evade as much as you can.
50 bow ..... Again is total bs! 35 is enough and i actually wont spec higher than 27
Tue 5 Feb 2019 1:11 PM by Sepplord
Nebu wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 5:48 PM

RR2 VS RR6 isn't a small difference, but besides that: did you have combined buffpotion active + Dex/Qui (and maybe even haste and or str/con buff charges active?)
Tue 5 Feb 2019 1:45 PM by Ashenspire
High weapon is good because it reduces evade, but high bow is bad, even though it does the same thing? Makes sense.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 2:55 PM by Smilo
Ashenspire wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 1:45 PM
High weapon is good because it reduces evade, but high bow is bad, even though it does the same thing? Makes sense.

Bow is - essentially - an unstyled attack, much easier to evade/parry/block than any spear/sword style, so yeah it makes a lot of sense.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:52 PM by Ashenspire
Unstyled attacks aren't harder to dodge/party/block. To hit bonus only effects the final hit check. Your weaponskill is what determines your chance to penetrate defenses (dw/shield and 2h/parry no bonuses notwithstanding)
Tue 5 Feb 2019 4:12 PM by Ardri
Ashenspire wrote:
Tue 5 Feb 2019 3:52 PM
Unstyled attacks aren't harder to dodge/party/block. To hit bonus only effects the final hit check. Your weaponskill is what determines your chance to penetrate defenses (dw/shield and 2h/parry no bonuses notwithstanding)

Lawyered
Tue 5 Feb 2019 4:55 PM by Tillbeast
Hunter vs Assassin is pretty much an auto win for the assassin unless hunter is really high RR, IP5 and Purge2 at the least. Its the new MoS and stealth detection rules that screw you over, they always 100% see you first unless they don't have 50 stealth (what assassin don't have composite 50 stealth). By time you see them they are lining up their strike and its too late. Having MoS as part of the stealth ability and not a separate RR gives assassins more freedom to take offensive RA's which don't help. Also there is no physical defence RA nor truesight. Assassins are king of the hill now with no natural predators to hunt them down like the old melee spec archers with MoS 4 or 5.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 5:17 PM by Nebu
Tillbeast wrote: Hunter vs Assassin is pretty much an auto win for the assassin unless hunter is really high RR, IP5 and Purge2 at the least. Its the new MoS and stealth detection rules that screw you over, they always 100% see you first unless they don't have 50 stealth (what assassin don't have composite 50 stealth). By time you see them they are lining up their strike and its too late. Having MoS as part of the stealth ability and not a separate RR gives assassins more freedom to take offensive RA's which don't help. Also there is no physical defence RA nor truesight. Assassins are king of the hill now with no natural predators to hunt them down like the old melee spec archers with MoS 4 or 5.

I think this is an accurate assessment (+1). I hope that the Devs realize the effects the new vision mechanics have (not only changes in MoS, but also the removal of Camo)
and reevaluate the role of archers in the stealth meta.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 7:03 PM by Calconious
Ya, they really need to make the view distance even from the start or have increased stealth spec points go towards it. So If people are both speced say 35 stealth.. Assassin would have the advantage 250 to 150, but if the Archer were to up stealth to like 45... that bonus would go away and start to favor the Archer. So 50 stealth spec on a Archer would have it's uses. Just throwing an idea out there!

Every Assassin I've encountered so far on my hunter is like RIGHT next to me when I first see them. There needs to be an equal chance for me to fire off a shot or 2 as they have to line up their Perf IMO.
Tue 5 Feb 2019 9:21 PM by Sepplord
i can't say for sure archers are fine regarding Assassins. I dont have practical Experience Post i50. But the amount of people that mention shooting arrows on a stealthed assassin is mind boggling

An archer and an Assassin meating in stealth should be a very favorable fight for the assassin. Otherwise there is no reason to play an Assassin. If archers are comparable melee wise but bring their range to the table additionally. an archers Job isnt to clear the milegates but to to ambush from the hill or from behind a tree.

If bow is too weak, then make bow stronger...Not their melee
Tue 5 Feb 2019 9:36 PM by Cadebrennus
If both are unstealthed and it's a straight up brawl Assassins will win every time because Envenom (even without Viper) is just that strong.

Early Beta as a Visi full melee spec Ranger I was just over 50/50 vs Assassin. At the end of Beta after physical damage was nerfed I lost every single fight vs an Assassin no matter how the fight started. Physical damage isn't nerfed now as bad as it was at the end of Beta but it is still overshadowed by Envenom and magic (such as DD shouts etc.)
Wed 6 Feb 2019 12:01 PM by Tillbeast
I agree with the statement that if an assassin gets the jump on an archer then assassin should win. Also if it's just a normal fight with no surprise the assassin should be favourite. Problem is detection. Archers have absolutely no way of avoiding the assassin with the new MoS rules and stealth detection ranges. Low RR archers use to choose MoS to see assassin first and avoid him. High RR archers who specced for melee would choose MoS to hunt other stealthers. Assassins back then would either choose MoS to avoid the melee archers or chose offensive RA's to kill their targets quicker. There was a balance then whereas now it's all in assassins favour. Revert MoS back to how it was, change the detection ranges to how it was problem is fixed. Good assassins will stick catch archers but good archers will be able to avoid assassins.

If this is not addressed it will lead to bigger problems. Currently an archers only defence vs an assassin is.....another archer. You are just going to get full groups of archers banding together to protect themselves from the lone assassin and that assassin is going to soon get fed up of getting a kill on 1 lone archer only to get a dozen arrows in the back and half a dozen puppies biting his ass from archers group mates. Most stealthers enjoy the solo game but you can't solo as an archer with how MoS works.
Wed 6 Feb 2019 1:24 PM by Sepplord
back then?

when back then?

The timeframe between new RAs and TOA was exceptionally small, for the most time "back then" there was no MOS at all...

and like you said, MOS was picked for assassins to counter archers MOS. All MOS did was make it even harder for low RR stealthers to join the stealthwar, and it made all stealther weaker when fighting visible fights (since they had spent RAs on MOS)

I exclusively played Archer "back then" and when MOS released it was fun for a few days but i soon was wishing for the old system back because it had the exact opposite effect. Stealthgroups were the ones utilizing it the best, because you only needed one of the group to have it and the rest could specc combat-RAs, while the solo-community was kind of forced to also have it or be completely in the dark (literally ).

Tillbeast wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 12:01 PM
Most stealthers enjoy the solo game but you can't solo as an archer with how MoS works.

Simply untrue, Archers soloed perfectly fine before MOS. An archer job is not to clear milegates or stealth through them alone. I often arrived in Emain and didn't dare to go near the milegate, i would be near on a hill and await my chance. Either ambush someone coming through, then get out of there as fast as i could, and not go there for the next 10-15minutes (usually make a loop toward MMG) because now the assassin are looking for me on that hill. Or await a situation where realmmates/groups are closeby and travel through the milegate together with them.

The archers defense against Assassins is not going into the assassins natural habitat.

A question that is consistently being dodged by archers is: if archer VS assasins is balanced for stealth VS stealth encounters, what reason is left to play an assassin over an archer? Why would anyone through away the ability to kill people from afar if their is no substantial benefit to your ability to kill people up close?
Wed 6 Feb 2019 5:35 PM by Tillbeast
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 1:24 PM
back then?

when back then?

The timeframe between new RAs and TOA was exceptionally small, for the most time "back then" there was no MOS at all...

and like you said, MOS was picked for assassins to counter archers MOS. All MOS did was make it even harder for low RR stealthers to join the stealthwar, and it made all stealther weaker when fighting visible fights (since they had spent RAs on MOS).........my low rr hunter on Mid Perc was rarely killed by other stealthers I just chose the correct RA to avoid other stealthers, first realm points I earned got me MoS 4. I could still kill my intended targets (low rr casters) without dps orientated RA's and avoid the majority of other enemy stealthers. I just used the tools available to me. Pointless complaining when you get uncovered and owned by an MoS 3 assassin when your RA's are aug dex, falcons eye etc

I exclusively played Archer "back then" and when MOS released it was fun for a few days but i soon was wishing for the old system back because it had the exact opposite effect. Stealthgroups were the ones utilizing it the best, because you only needed one of the group to have it and the rest could specc combat-RAs, while the solo-community was kind of forced to also have it or be completely in the dark (literally )....easy again to avoid by choosing MoS 5. This means they detect you at normal detection range which is not a lot. My argument is for archers btw not assassins, I don't think I would take MoS above 3 with an assassin till high rr to avoid the high rr melee stealthers. Again players working together utilising an RA to earn RP's because they know there targets refuse to spend realm points on the counter is just the game working as intended. Sometimes the game forces you to take boring stuff. Hell be great spending all those points I spent on MoS 5 and putting them in more fun RA's like volley, improved criticals, improved stats etc. They mean jack squat when your face down having been uncovered by someone who chose more relevant RA's

Tillbeast wrote:
Most stealthers enjoy the solo game but you can't solo as an archer with how MoS works.

Simply untrue, Archers soloed perfectly fine before MOS. An archer job is not to clear milegates or stealth through them alone. I often arrived in Emain and didn't dare to go near the milegate, i would be near on a hill and await my chance. Either ambush someone coming through, then get out of there as fast as i could, and not go there for the next 10-15minutes (usually make a loop toward MMG) because now the assassin are looking for me on that hill. Or await a situation where realmmates/groups are closeby and travel through the milegate together with them.....sorry that quote was meant for solo archers on Pheonix not the old live servers which you could solo on although it was never as easy as soloing with an assassin. On Pheonix archers are pointless until high rr when they can take IP5 and 10 min purge and even then with the way envenom currently works may not be enough.

The archers defense against Assassins is not going into the assassins natural habitat.....we don't have a choice, we both hunt similar targets, cloth casters, we both prefer choke points where enemy cannot manoeuvre and we hang around the edges of the zerg trying to pick off stragglers. We just are always in same area due to our roles. With the new stealth detection rules we cannot avoid you, you always see us first, always hit first and as you are well aware stealther vs stealther more often than not comes down to who sees and hits first.

A question that is consistently being dodged by archers is: if archer VS assasins is balanced for stealth VS stealth encounters, what reason is left to play an assassin over an archer? Why would anyone through away the ability to kill people from afar if their is no substantial benefit to your ability to kill people up close?
...answer to this question is easy. Assassins kill quickly and are extremely efficient at killing their intended targets...casters and other assassins. Not affected by bubble and huge dps burst ability. Yes sometimes a 10 min purge cloth caster may get a quick cast cc off but what assassin don't take purge itself asap? Now an archer has very limited targets due to the million of defences the game puts in vs archers...bubble, shield block, 15 sec crit immunity after first crit from an arrow, pets not losing target when you stealth, in hunters case a slow ass pet etc. An archer should and does always lose in a fight vs an assassin if caught in melee. With the old MoS archers if they chose could forsake other dps orientated RA's and take MoS hoping it is higher than the assassins MoS and evade them by seeing them first. Yes at really high RR an archer who specs for melee with MoS 5 IP5 and 10min purge was an assassins nightmare but assassins have 2 natural answers to this to counter MoS 5 melee archers....first one being MoS 5, you see each other at same time so you have as much chance of getting that important first blow as your opponent and secondly if its not going well you vanish. Not sayin assassins are easy to play, RA's and RR's are irrelevant if you have no positional awarewess and cannot line up your hits correctly

I don't mean to offend you or anyone but complaining about an RA, in this case Mastery of Stealth being used to uncover you when you have available the perfect counter for Mastery of Stealth available is wrong. If you don't choose to take that option and you are then beaten by it then its your fault and the game is working as intended. My Hunter was rarely unstealthed by either visible or stealth teams using MoS because I chose at the expense of other RA's the RA that helped me defend against them.....Mastery of Stealth

Now on phoenix it is very very different. Archers have absolutely zero defence vs an assassin. An assassin with 50 stealth always sees the archer first and I mean always. there is never a situation where an archer can see the assassin first, no RA, no item absolutely nothing. An assassin will always see an archer at 250 units (both have 50 stealth) whereas an archer sees an assassin at 125 units. this make life as an archer ridiculously hard on this server, we are free rps for assassins until we get to high realm rank. The stealth detection radius should be the same for both archer and assassin although minstrel should need to be closer to detect but they have a million ways to deal with a lone stealthier.
Thu 7 Feb 2019 7:26 AM by Sepplord
Tillbeast wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 5:35 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 1:24 PM
back then?

when back then?

and like you said, MOS was picked for assassins to counter archers MOS. All MOS did was make it even harder for low RR stealthers to join the stealthwar, and it made all stealther weaker when fighting visible fights (since they had spent RAs on MOS).........my low rr hunter on Mid Perc was rarely killed by other stealthers I just chose the correct RA to avoid other stealthers, first realm points I earned got me MoS 4. I could still kill my intended targets (low rr casters) without dps orientated RA's and avoid the majority of other enemy stealthers. I just used the tools available to me. Pointless complaining when you get uncovered and owned by an MoS 3 assassin when your RA's are aug dex, falcons eye etc

I exclusively played Archer "back then" and when MOS released it was fun for a few days but i soon was wishing for the old system back because it had the exact opposite effect. Stealthgroups were the ones utilizing it the best, because you only needed one of the group to have it and the rest could specc combat-RAs, while the solo-community was kind of forced to also have it or be completely in the dark (literally )....easy again to avoid by choosing MoS 5. This means they detect you at normal detection range which is not a lot. My argument is for archers btw not assassins, I don't think I would take MoS above 3 with an assassin till high rr to avoid the high rr melee stealthers. Again players working together utilising an RA to earn RP's because they know there targets refuse to spend realm points on the counter is just the game working as intended. Sometimes the game forces you to take boring stuff. Hell be great spending all those points I spent on MoS 5 and putting them in more fun RA's like volley, improved criticals, improved stats etc. They mean jack squat when your face down having been uncovered by someone who chose more relevant RA's

Tillbeast wrote:

Simply untrue, Archers soloed perfectly fine before MOS. An archer job is not to clear milegates or stealth through them alone. I often arrived in Emain and didn't dare to go near the milegate, i would be near on a hill and await my chance. Either ambush someone coming through, then get out of there as fast as i could, and not go there for the next 10-15minutes (usually make a loop toward MMG) because now the assassin are looking for me on that hill. Or await a situation where realmmates/groups are closeby and travel through the milegate together with them.....sorry that quote was meant for solo archers on Pheonix not the old live servers which you could solo on although it was never as easy as soloing with an assassin. On Pheonix archers are pointless until high rr when they can take IP5 and 10 min purge and even then with the way envenom currently works may not be enough.

The archers defense against Assassins is not going into the assassins natural habitat.....we don't have a choice, we both hunt similar targets, cloth casters, we both prefer choke points where enemy cannot manoeuvre and we hang around the edges of the zerg trying to pick off stragglers. We just are always in same area due to our roles. With the new stealth detection rules we cannot avoid you, you always see us first, always hit first and as you are well aware stealther vs stealther more often than not comes down to who sees and hits first.

...answer to this question is easy. Assassins kill quickly and are extremely efficient at killing their intended targets...casters and other assassins. Not affected by bubble and huge dps burst ability. Yes sometimes a 10 min purge cloth caster may get a quick cast cc off but what assassin don't take purge itself asap? Now an archer has very limited targets due to the million of defences the game puts in vs archers...bubble, shield block, 15 sec crit immunity after first crit from an arrow, pets not losing target when you stealth, in hunters case a slow ass pet etc. An archer should and does always lose in a fight vs an assassin if caught in melee. With the old MoS archers if they chose could forsake other dps orientated RA's and take MoS hoping it is higher than the assassins MoS and evade them by seeing them first. Yes at really high RR an archer who specs for melee with MoS 5 IP5 and 10min purge was an assassins nightmare but assassins have 2 natural answers to this to counter MoS 5 melee archers....first one being MoS 5, you see each other at same time so you have as much chance of getting that important first blow as your opponent and secondly if its not going well you vanish. Not sayin assassins are easy to play, RA's and RR's are irrelevant if you have no positional awarewess and cannot line up your hits correctly

I don't mean to offend you or anyone but complaining about an RA, in this case Mastery of Stealth being used to uncover you when you have available the perfect counter for Mastery of Stealth available is wrong. If you don't choose to take that option and you are then beaten by it then its your fault and the game is working as intended. My Hunter was rarely unstealthed by either visible or stealth teams using MoS because I chose at the expense of other RA's the RA that helped me defend against them.....Mastery of Stealth

Now on phoenix it is very very different. Archers have absolutely zero defence vs an assassin. An assassin with 50 stealth always sees the archer first and I mean always. there is never a situation where an archer can see the assassin first, no RA, no item absolutely nothing. An assassin will always see an archer at 250 units (both have 50 stealth) whereas an archer sees an assassin at 125 units. this make life as an archer ridiculously hard on this server, we are free rps for assassins until we get to high realm rank. The stealth detection radius should be the same for both archer and assassin although minstrel should need to be closer to detect but they have a million ways to deal with a lone stealthier.

I don't see where i am complaining. The thing i do not want (MOS-detection-range) isn't ingame. I am arguing against the complainers here ^^
I have played archers long before MOS was implemented. Archers have tools to avoid assassin detection, and i described them in my above comment. If you really think that forcing both archers and assassins into spending 30+points for MOS is beneficial to the stealthers then i don't really know what to tell you. It increases the RR-barrier of entry into the stealthwars AND makes all stealthers even weaker VS visibles. Archers advocating for MOS are shortsighted and shooting themselves in the foot.

An assassin also doesn't always see an archer first, they don't see smart archers at all, because they don't go where assassins go. Quit stealthing into chokepoints as an archer and your survival time will shoot up.
Thu 7 Feb 2019 12:19 PM by Tillbeast
Saying don't go to choke points (mile gates) is so naive. Yes don't walk up to or near the archway goes without saying. Tell me where in the frontiers thats not the mile gates and nearby areas an archer can find his preferred target and avoid assassins? Answer is there is nowhere. I could hunt in a middle rvr zone like Jamtland and I will not die once to an assassin, however I will kill absolutely nothing as absolutely nothing will be available to kill.

Smart archers do make it more difficult. They do as you do, go high on a hill or hang back further from the archway. That is great tactics and would work bar 1 little problem....Assassins don't stand still they know where the good archer spots are and come looking for them and there is absolutely no defence an archer has against that bar getting lucky. An assassin 100% of the time spots an archer first, always. If an archer sees the assassin it's 100% garaunteed the assassin has already seen the archer unless his monitor is turned off

MoS needs to be reinstated to how it was. If a stealther chooses to ignore the answer to getting spotted they deserve to get repeatedly killed. Yes it kind of forces stealthers to take it but an archer who spends 30 points on MoS can still kill his preferred targets almost as easy as an archer who spends 30 points on dps related realm abilities yet can avoid getting ganked by someone with high MoS.

If the stealth detection rules don't change I fear for the future of the stealth game. There is an obvious answer to how an archer can defend himself from an assassin and that's another archer in group. Better yet a full group of archers. Assassins will soon get fed up of uncloaking an archer who he thinks is alone only to get half a dozen arrows in his back from archers mate's. This will force assassins to group and there goes the solo game which is why most people play stealthers
Thu 7 Feb 2019 1:05 PM by Sepplord
Tillbeast wrote:
Thu 7 Feb 2019 12:19 PM
Saying don't go to choke points (mile gates) is so naive. Yes don't walk up to or near the archway goes without saying. Tell me where in the frontiers thats not the mile gates and nearby areas an archer can find his preferred target and avoid assassins? Answer is there is nowhere. I could hunt in a middle rvr zone like Jamtland and I will not die once to an assassin, however I will kill absolutely nothing as absolutely nothing will be available to kill.

Smart archers do make it more difficult. They do as you do, go high on a hill or hang back further from the archway. That is great tactics and would work bar 1 little problem....Assassins don't stand still they know where the good archer spots are and come looking for them and there is absolutely no defence an archer has against that bar getting lucky. An assassin 100% of the time spots an archer first, always. If an archer sees the assassin it's 100% garaunteed the assassin has already seen the archer unless his monitor is turned off

MoS needs to be reinstated to how it was. If a stealther chooses to ignore the answer to getting spotted they deserve to get repeatedly killed. Yes it kind of forces stealthers to take it but an archer who spends 30 points on MoS can still kill his preferred targets almost as easy as an archer who spends 30 points on dps related realm abilities yet can avoid getting ganked by someone with high MoS.

the assassin has a risk when he goes on random hills to find archers...to not meet anyonea and miss out on the people going through the milegate in the meantime. The archers can safely snipe people going through a milegate from a far. They don't have to go near the milegate to find targets.
Especially with tasks there are constant streams of solos/smallman going through the milegate and then to the taskzone. If you have problems currently finding people to shoot at without going near a milegate i don't really know how to respond to such a ridicolous claim.

If the stealth detection rules don't change I fear for the future of the stealth game. There is an obvious answer to how an archer can defend himself from an assassin and that's another archer in group. Better yet a full group of archers. Assassins will soon get fed up of uncloaking an archer who he thinks is alone only to get half a dozen arrows in his back from archers mate's. This will force assassins to group and there goes the solo game which is why most people play stealthers

If the stealth detection rules do change I fear for the future of the stealth game. There is an obvious answer to how a stealther can defend himself from being weak because they spent 3RRs on detection/anti detection RAs, and that's another stealther in group. Better yet a full group of stealthers. Stealthers will soon get fed up of uncloaking another stealther who they think is alone only to get half a dozen arrows in his back from stealthers mate's. This will force all stealthers to group and there goes the solo game which is why most people play stealthers

See how that works both ways? Being dramatic about the "future of the stealthgame" is similar to the people predicting the death of the server because something isn't going their way.

Archers have loads of advantages over assassins in several aspects of the game
The one thing where assassins excel over archers is the direct matchup with both in stealth.
Thu 7 Feb 2019 5:03 PM by Tillbeast
I think its best to agree to disagree. From what I make out you think stealth detection should be class based as it is now with assassins being king of the hill whereas I think it should be based on earned abilities where whoever chooses the relevant ability has the advantage.

By the way the problem with your statement concerning the stealth war is wrong. A lone stealthier with MoS 5 don't really care about having to have mates, he can solo quite happily knowing that he has chosen relevant RA's to prevent being unstealthed. Now if a stealthier had MoS 4 and was worried about someone with MoS 5 uncovering him it makes sense that he groups up for protection. Now when a MoS 5 stealthier sees him unless all of his mates are MoS 5 he will see them too and prob choose to avoid. Now if his mates are all MoS 5....well played, you set a trap and he has fallen for it.

Currently there is no way to increase an archers or minstrels detection range so grouping up make sense. Probably was over dramatic but stealthers prefer solo play and with current rules its better if non assassins group up to protect themselves from assassins which may lead to other issue.

I know MoS has its problems, you have mentioned some but there is never an easy solution to anything but archers on Pheonix are in a real bad shape. We have lost lots of important abilities like MoS. Losing physical defense is a huge blow and not having access to true sight anymore is a major disadvantage. If I recall did we not use to have a bow shot that automatically broke bubble or at least ignored it. We have penetrating arrow but that is not 100% reliable and is tied in to bow spec. We don't have the burst damage that an assassin has nor the control a minstrel has. Range is the key, to close and your soon in melee, too far and they move out of range. An assassin just walks up to target stealthed and hands him a huge stun which by time its ended target is almost dead, snared, dotted and diseased. How I would love a bow shot that snared!!!

Maybe MoS is not the answer but this current stealth detection rules are in my opinion a lot worse as there is no way to improve your situation as an archer. Saying don't hang around a mile gate is wrong. You say that with these tasks there are a lot of small man teams running about. I find plenty of small man teams and full groups but very few solo casters (guess the assassins get them at mile gate) How on earth does an archer deal with 2 players at once, a minstrel can and an assassin maybe kill one before other gets him but an archer has little chance, as just 1 interrupt screws up his dps chain. Archers bread and butter on this server is lone cloth casters and unstealthed stealthers who are engaged with someone else, we don't have the tools to take on multiple opponents single handed. A hunter has his pet but it will not stop a player character (wish it did lol. Yay!! Puppy solod that minstrel, who needs the hunter ).

Easiest solution would be to make all stealthers detect each other at 125. Detecting at 250 would make it too easy to avoid an assassins attack whereas 125 means its who reacts first. However I do prefer MoS being reinstated as it was. You don't need a huge amout of RA's to do your job as an assassin or archer. MoS 5 and purge, you already have the tools in your class skills to deal with your primary targets. Think that's RR5 for MoS 5 and purge. More often that not its who hits first wins regardless of aug stats and imp criticals anyhow. Also all you need is purge to beat a caster unless caster silly RR as an assassin or melee archer. Thing about MoS is yes it does cause some issues but MoS itself solves those issues. If you don't take the tools offered you, you have no one else to blame bar yourself if your beaten by someone who does. There are no tools currently available to help archers improve there stealth detection abilities.

Good hunting (unless your a Hib )
Fri 8 Feb 2019 9:12 AM by Sepplord
I don't think archer need nothing, i am all for giving them PD (i was wrongly informed that they had it, which skewed my view also) and camoflage or something else back. It really seems that they are not strong enough (seemed like that in beta and the reports now are backing that up). I have less problems with archers being harder to spot, instead of making assassins easier to spot.

I just believe heavily that MOS is bad for ALL stealthers. It will cancel itself out and make all stealthers weaker VS visibles (do we really want that?) and give new stealthers an even harder time getting into the stealthwar. "Mandatory" RAs were always something i disliked and Purge is alrady taking a load of points that i don't really have choice about.

In the end i guess we really have to agree to disagree, because you want the archer to be buffed into the closecombat-stealthwar, and i rather think it should be buffed in the areas that define an archer.

Good post btw.
Fri 8 Feb 2019 5:28 PM by Pirhana7
Like another person said unless you get the jump on an enemy assassin with bow shots, The best thing to do is hit them with the Spear anytime chain that snares them (make sure your pet doesn't break it right away) then sprint away for a few seconds and then sick your pet on them. Keep panning to see what they are doing, if they keep chasing just keep running while you pet hurts them, either engage them once you think they are hurt enough or turn and shoot once you think you can finish them off.

Now there are some factors.... Some times you have a Garrot snare keeping you from getting away, you just have to keep trying to land your snare to get away. Sometimes they get away from your pet...
Sometimes while trying to land your snare chain you get some evade chains off and actually win the fight.

I think in most cases the Hunters getting destroyed are because they are not running barrels with their self buffs.
Sat 9 Feb 2019 12:24 AM by Nebu
Pirhana7 wrote:
Fri 8 Feb 2019 5:28 PM
I think in most cases the Hunters getting destroyed are because they are not running barrels with their self buffs.
Here's an experiment for you:
1. Test your bow and melee damage on the test dummy with capped resists. Use self buffs if you have them.
2. Add barrell buffs and check damage again.
3. Compare the difference in damage.

While I agree that the barrel buffs help, you still need IP and Purge just to have a slim chance at equal RR. Weapon swapping, high evade rates, re-application of poisons, significantly better stealth view range and the ability to use rps more directly for damage all widen the gap between assassin and archer effectiveness.
Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:08 AM by inoeth
Pirhana7 wrote:
Fri 8 Feb 2019 5:28 PM
Like another person said unless you get the jump on an enemy assassin with bow shots, The best thing to do is hit them with the Spear anytime chain that snares them (make sure your pet doesn't break it right away) then sprint away for a few seconds and then sick your pet on them. Keep panning to see what they are doing, if they keep chasing just keep running while you pet hurts them, either engage them once you think they are hurt enough or turn and shoot once you think you can finish them off.

Now there are some factors.... Some times you have a Garrot snare keeping you from getting away, you just have to keep trying to land your snare to get away. Sometimes they get away from your pet...
Sometimes while trying to land your snare chain you get some evade chains off and actually win the fight.

paper daoc
i always run fully buffed but if i meat an assasisn im dead.
you mentioned the snare combo... yes on paper that looks cool but in real rvr you barely get that off because the second in chain only has low to hit bonus (15% miss chance) or you get evaded. but even if you can land it and run away drawing your bow, they simply vanish.

its very sad hunters are so bad here vs assassins... they can simply chose to kill you and you dont have the chance to turn their intention around ;(
Tue 12 Feb 2019 7:28 AM by lefo
inoeth wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:08 AM
its very sad hunters are so bad here vs assassins... they can simply chose to kill you and you dont have the chance to turn their intention around ;(

This is not entirelly true. If you have purge and healing potion, you still can do something.
Tue 12 Feb 2019 8:45 AM by inoeth
lefo wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019 7:28 AM
inoeth wrote:

This is not entirelly true. If you have purge and healing potion, you still can do something.

Its true in 9/10 times even with ip purge and heal pots
Tue 12 Feb 2019 9:03 AM by Cadebrennus
lefo wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019 7:28 AM
inoeth wrote:

Ummmm...... die a little slower? I guess that's something.
Tue 12 Feb 2019 11:47 AM by lefo
Well, you can also use debuff proc on them. If i attack them from a distance they dont stand a chance neither.
Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:57 PM by Wenceslaw
Here's my strategy for fighting assassins:

Step 1) Get the drop on them, then open with the rear stun style. (spear)
Step 2) Laugh because their purge is down!
Step 3) Attack them from behind for 5 seconds. Miss. Miss. Miss.
Step 4) Marvel at how much damage they can do in a single combat round.
Step 5) Release.
Fri 15 Feb 2019 12:58 AM by jg777
lefo wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019 11:47 AM
Well, you can also use debuff proc on them. If i attack them from a distance they dont stand a chance neither.

Yes. The archer archtype shouldn’t be equal to the assassin in Melee combat because that’s what the Assassins do- archers have the ability to fight at range. Every class will have a nemesis, either specific class/s or archtype/s, that generally have the upper hand on them.

I’d like to see the archer archtype bow lines adjusted/increased, and a look at each classes special abilities- I believe Rangers may need a look at CD rates, Hunters BC line for example. Perhaps the buffs can even go away and replaced with beefed up other things, or replaced with buffs that are either unique and/or meaningful to them and not obtainable from pots.

However stealth is fine to me, Assassin archtype should be superior to archer archtype in that area.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 8:58 AM by adamaxis
It was a mistake to not give Hunters Evade III - they had it in the Beta for the original game along with being able to wear Chain armor. Mythic promised they'd get it back for over half a decade, yet they never received it.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 5:18 PM by Nebu
jg777 wrote:
Fri 15 Feb 2019 12:58 AM
However stealth is fine to me, Assassin archtype should be superior to archer archtype in that area.

I have an issue with this statement.

Yes, Assassins should have the advantage in melee.

If a melee encounter between stealthers happens, then the Assassin should have the ADVANTAGE. In the current situation, not only do Assassins have better stealth detection but they also have better melee. Archers have no counter to either making an Assassin victory more of a certainty than simply an advantage. Allowing archers a better chance to avoid detection would make the Assassin melee advantage more reasonable.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 7:07 PM by AngelRose
I see a lot of sins in this thread, that do not want to lose their easy rps. Or people who have never actually played a hunter on Pheonix (not beta), and engaging in paper doac.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 8:35 PM by adamaxis
What I don't understand is where this perception comes from that assassins are the anti-archer class, specifically vs Hunters - if an equal-level assassin wins every melee fight vs hunter, get favorable odds in a number of tank fights, and beat casters most of the time, then why is the assassin considered anti-archer? Why do they have a stealth advantage? What is the actual point of having a class with no natural counter?

Granted, I haven't invested in a hunter on this server - I had a 50th hunter back around the game's launch til about 2004, and I played a 50th hunter on Uthgard back from 2007-2009(and somewhat after they incorporated OF), but in those cases, he was never capable of beating an assassin at melee and rarely won a fight vs one even with a crit-shot landing - hunter just doesn't have the weapon skill to hurt an assassin; they evade some 90% of all attacks and can evade a high number of bow shots. Assassins don't even have to land crit strike to beat a Hunter, all they need to do is make contact with a poison and it will do most of the work for them - throw in ridiculous chains like dragonfang spam and it's not even a fight. The class got beat into the dirt by nerfs back in the day and never really recovered from them.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 1:32 PM by Gryntrar
My Experience from playing Melee-hunter for the past few nights. Currently RR4, with LW-Tireless-Purge2-MoP6 and RA dumping in Aug Dex.

im not fully temped, i have basic understanding of the 1v1 movements and im not running with IP yet, because id rather learn to outplay with a competitive dmg output than outplay and outlast with a 15 min CD.

Yes Assassins/archers are tough, and yes Hunters are the butt of the stealth game right now. But there is no class out there with a 100% win chance pr default.
If the hunter eats the PA and engages with stick+newest anytime spam. yeah you are obviously gonna lose 99.9% of the fights.
Its hard to explain without doing the paper bit.

Step 1) There are ways to not eat the PA every time, an example could be, You see an assassin in stealth, and lord knows he sees you, Do not face him and try to get in the first hit so he f's up his PA, if you do that, you're gonna have a bad time. turn away from that shit.

Step 2) Great, you're now in a fight with a dude who has high evade and wants a piece. first off, you wanna use your Engage ability for the hit-chance (Obviously)
Your aim is to get the back stun, so you line that up, with your engage as a backup, do this while walking into him and back up, (Makes his char turn his back for a short period) .. Did back-stun land? (If no, keep trying, you're dieing here) (If yes, he is losing quite a bit of hp from that followup, and this is a great time to pop a health pot, cos you're still almost dieing). i haven't figure out what to do when the enemy strafes a lot, but still trying stuff out.
Step 3) Repeat the last part of step 2 until /wave or /release

I'm not saying this is easy to win at all, i think i lose 80% fights vs NS and rangers.. but i feel like i eat Infiltrators most of the time (Not sure why). and scout fights are long, but get that pet out before the slam so he cant cheese you with the bow stuff, and its pretty fair from there.

Disclaimer: Eat the PA and you're definitely dead.

I'm not trying to polish the hunter too much, its still a class with massive disadvantages. but its totally doable.. and its much more fun to win a 1v1 vs another stealther knowing that you´re playing the runt of the litter.
Tue 26 Feb 2019 12:10 AM by relvinian
You never win when vanish is up.

Vanish is up, you will lose or draw.
Tue 26 Feb 2019 7:21 AM by inoeth
Gryntrar wrote:
Mon 25 Feb 2019 1:32 PM
My Experience from playing Melee-hunter for the past few nights. Currently RR4, with LW-Tireless-Purge2-MoP6 and RA dumping in Aug Dex.

im not fully temped, i have basic understanding of the 1v1 movements and im not running with IP yet, because id rather learn to outplay with a competitive dmg output than outplay and outlast with a 15 min CD.

Yes Assassins/archers are tough, and yes Hunters are the butt of the stealth game right now. But there is no class out there with a 100% win chance pr default.
If the hunter eats the PA and engages with stick+newest anytime spam. yeah you are obviously gonna lose 99.9% of the fights.

Step 1) There are ways to not eat the PA every time, an example could be, You see an assassin in stealth, and lord knows he sees you, Do not face him and try to get in the first hit so he f's up his PA, if you do that, you're gonna have a bad time. turn away from that shit.

Step 2) Great, you're now in a fight with a dude who has high evade and wants a piece. first off, you wanna use your Engage ability for the hit-chance (Obviously)
Your aim is to get the back stun, so you line that up, with your engage as a backup, do this while walking into him and back up, (Makes his char turn his back for a short period) .. Did back-stun land? (If no, keep trying, you're dieing here) (If yes, he is losing quite a bit of hp from that followup, and this is a great time to pop a health pot, cos you're still almost dieing). i haven't figure out what to do when the enemy strafes a lot, but still trying stuff out.

I'm not saying this is easy to win at all, i think i lose 80% fights vs NS and rangers.. but i feel like i eat Infiltrators most of the time (Not sure why). and scout fights are long, but get that pet out before the slam so he cant cheese you with the bow stuff, and its pretty fair from there.

I'm not trying to polish the hunter too much, its still a class with massive disadvantages. but its totally doable.. and its much more fun to win a 1v1 vs another stealther knowing that you´re playing the runt of the litter.

if you are on the move and running towards an assassins, there is basicly no chance to see them first and turn away. that only works if the assassin is slow. and yes you are right if you dont eat the pa you have a chance to win but its still very rare.

btw its easier to kill infiltrators than ns because of armor resists you simply deal more dmg to infiltrators.
Tue 26 Feb 2019 8:38 AM by Gryntrar
inoeth wrote:
Tue 26 Feb 2019 7:21 AM
Gryntrar wrote:

if you are on the move and running towards an assassins, there is basicly no chance to see them first and turn away. that only works if the assassin is slow. and yes you are right if you dont eat the pa you have a chance to win but its still very rare.

btw its easier to kill infiltrators than ns because of armor resists you simply deal more dmg to infiltrators.

My scenario when turning away and not engage the assassin to get the first hit, is obviously in stealth, if you assumed i meant that it was viable when running around visible, then i suggest taking the obvious steps for winning fights firstly. Not running around visible would be the first one, youll get a feel of what the odds are of getting jumped where you are, and you take a calculated risk, but its a free PA --> Win for the assassin as previously mentioned.
Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:17 AM by inoeth
Gryntrar wrote:
Tue 26 Feb 2019 8:38 AM
inoeth wrote:
Gryntrar wrote:

My scenario when turning away and not engage the assassin to get the first hit, is obviously in stealth, if you assumed i meant that it was viable when running around visible, then i suggest taking the obvious steps for winning fights firstly. Not running around visible would be the first one, youll get a feel of what the odds are of getting jumped where you are, and you take a calculated risk, but its a free PA --> Win for the assassin as previously mentioned.

nono i meant being stealthed too. im pretty sure its the doppler effect, but there was alot of discussion about it and ppl said there was not doppler effect.... maybe its serverlag or something else, but if i run (stealthed) straight towards an assassin, i never! see the pa coming. if it was not like that i would not have complained about that in several threads....
Tue 26 Feb 2019 11:14 AM by Gryntrar
inoeth wrote:
Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:17 AM
Gryntrar wrote:
Tue 26 Feb 2019 8:38 AM
inoeth wrote:

nono i meant being stealthed too. im pretty sure its the doppler effect, but there was alot of discussion about it and ppl said there was not doppler effect.... maybe its serverlag or something else, but if i run (stealthed) straight towards an assassin, i never! see the pa coming. if it was not like that i would not have complained about that in several threads....

Ahh.. That is a problem i dont seem to have im afraid, i see them just fine, with enough time to react, at the moment i have 51 comp stealth. But it might have something to do with movement patterns when stealthed, i basicly run around very prisonbitch jumpy, i assume theres always someone able to see me when im in areas where i believe stealthers might be.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics