Playing support in Midgard - looking for final spec advice

Started 24 Dec 2019
by colechar
in Midgard
For whatever reason, I enjoy playing support classes so when I switched over to Midgard, I created both a healer and a shaman. Both characters are close to level 40 now so I’m starting to contemplate final specs. Due to my very limited playtime, and lack of elite reflexes/skills , I will be focused on PvE ... I could see joining the PvP battle group occasionally, but that would probably be the extent of it. Anyway, I had preconceived notions on each but I was looking for input from those of you who are have more experience in end-game PvE.

Shaman. As much as I like the subterranean line, my plan was to go deep into the Augmentation line (47) to get the red endurance, dex/qui and str/con buffs. The rest (25) would go into the Mending line. Basically, it would be a buff bot spec with some ability to help out healers. I’d neglect the subterranean line almost entirely because it has very little use in PvE. For random ROG farming, DS or other high level PvE groups, would this be an appreciated spec or are others more sought after?

Healer. I really like the Augmentation line and I was thinking that I would put 44 points in it for the last celerity buff, 31 points in Mending with the remaining points in Pacification for the low level power regeneration buff. However, I know there are a lot of bomb groups that would not take advantage of the high Augmentation line and would much prefer a high Pacification healer. Looks like I could have a pretty decent tri-spec with 25 in Mending, 32 in Augmentation (yellow celerity) and 35 in Pacification (yellow power regeneration and 9s AOE stun). Seems to me that spec would be useful for any group. For places like DS, is there an expectation for a specific spec? That tri-spec looks solid to me.

Last question, is the resist rate against mobs affected by the caster’s level or the spell level? I’m speaking specifically about the AoE stun if I were using the level 2 or 11 stun if I am Augmentation specced.

In summary, if you were playing a healer and/or shaman with a PvE focus, what would your spec be and why.
I appreciate any input from you all.
Wed 25 Dec 2019 2:22 AM by gotwqqd
Farming spec Shammy is cave/aug
Wed 25 Dec 2019 10:01 AM by Lipsi
colechar wrote:
Tue 24 Dec 2019 6:43 PM
Shaman. As much as I like the subterranean line, my plan was to go deep into the Augmentation line (47) to get the red endurance, dex/qui and str/con buffs. The rest (25) would go into the Mending line. Basically, it would be a buff bot spec with some ability to help out healers. I’d neglect the subterranean line almost entirely because it has very little use in PvE. For random ROG farming, DS or other high level PvE groups, would this be an appreciated spec or are others more sought after?

As much as some PVE doesn't hurt to get templated for RVR, some RVR doesn't hurt to get a few Realm Ranks for PVE. Especially, if your focus is purely PVE, you won't go high in ranks, but the first few ranks are easily achieved and very fast with just a little bit running for tasks and random group/zerg.
If i were playing a shaman with your objectives, i would set myself a target of at least 3L3, this is really fast and easy to get and you can train with it :
- MCL (3 points)
- Master of arcane 7 : +20% buff effectiveness (20 points)
With master of arcane 7, you can get the same value using level 36 and 37 str/con and dex/qui buffs than the ones you'd get training augmentation to 46/47. It will cost you less concentration, enabling you to buff more people and you can spec mending higher if that is your thing with 33 mending / 42 augmentation.

My concern in your spec isn't so much about lower mending (i think mending for shaman has low utility so the difference between 25 spec heal and 33 spec heal is hardly worth that many points), but the concentration limit that you'd reach using purple s/c and d/q buffs, plus endo, plus acuity. You'd have better buffs (that saves you 20 realm ability points) but you wouldn't be able to buff everyone.
Thu 26 Dec 2019 2:40 AM by colechar
Lipsi wrote:
Wed 25 Dec 2019 10:01 AM
colechar wrote:
Tue 24 Dec 2019 6:43 PM

As much as some PVE doesn't hurt to get templated for RVR, some RVR doesn't hurt to get a few Realm Ranks for PVE. Especially, if your focus is purely PVE, you won't go high in ranks, but the first few ranks are easily achieved and very fast with just a little bit running for tasks and random group/zerg.
If i were playing a shaman with your objectives, i would set myself a target of at least 3L3, this is really fast and easy to get and you can train with it :
- MCL (3 points)
- Master of arcane 7 : +20% buff effectiveness (20 points)
With master of arcane 7, you can get the same value using level 36 and 37 str/con and dex/qui buffs than the ones you'd get training augmentation to 46/47. It will cost you less concentration, enabling you to buff more people and you can spec mending higher if that is your thing with 33 mending / 42 augmentation.

My concern in your spec isn't so much about lower mending (i think mending for shaman has low utility so the difference between 25 spec heal and 33 spec heal is hardly worth that many points), but the concentration limit that you'd reach using purple s/c and d/q buffs, plus endo, plus acuity. You'd have better buffs (that saves you 20 realm ability points) but you wouldn't be able to buff everyone.

Really appreciate the input and I had not thought of the concentration cost of the higher buffs.
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:53 PM by Hangel
About shammy spec I have tried 47 buff but at the end it's impossible to use all red buff, so I moved to 43 buff (1 red resist), 27 cave (1st pbaoe disease it's a must) and 18 heal (low heal but need only 1% of power)
Tue 7 Jan 2020 5:49 PM by bettercasey
Playing a healer comes down to 3 things.
Either you go pac for cc with back up healing, 40mend/aug for faster cure ns and heals or trispec for a little of all 3.
(Unless of course you have a set 8man that by chance wants something different)

Shaman is 43 aug, 27cave with 18mend
(Unless you plan on solo/Zerg surfing with cave)
Tue 7 Jan 2020 7:41 PM by Wolfir666
Hangel wrote:
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:53 PM
About shammy spec I have tried 47 buff but at the end it's impossible to use all red buff, so I moved to 43 buff (1 red resist), 27 cave (1st pbaoe disease it's a must) and 18 heal (low heal but need only 1% of power)

That's a pretty good and useful skill for most occasions.
Personally i went 43 aug 31 cave 10 mend myself , so not too far off and you can still kill a bit by yourself 😊
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics