Skald...any argument for not going 50 BS?

Started 9 Oct 2019
by gotwqqd
in Midgard
Any justifiable reason to lesson BS and up weapon and/or parry?
Wed 9 Oct 2019 10:58 AM by Muse
Valid Point. 1 skill in weapon is 1% damage. So from 39 to 47 Hammer its aeound 8% damage you loose. My Point is That i Play Skale for interrupts while in Solo / small the dd damage is worth it.
Wed 9 Oct 2019 12:12 PM by Sepplord
Muse wrote:
Wed 9 Oct 2019 10:58 AM
Valid Point. 1 skill in weapon is 1% damage. So from 39 to 47 Hammer its aeound 8% damage you loose. My Point is That i Play Skale for interrupts while in Solo / small the dd damage is worth it.

two things i don't understand:

a) more weapondmg doesn't result in better interrupts either, so why the higher weapon over higher BS?

b) what is the baseline for 100% when you say each point is 1%? Does 40hammer do 1.01times as much as 39, and 42 1.01times as much as 41? Or what base are we talking about?
Wed 9 Oct 2019 12:39 PM by Muse
If you Play for grpwise you dont care about dd dmg nor resist Rate. Thats why you dont need to Go for the Last dd for dmg. Lower dd lvl is less Power cost.

For the % dmg i sprcced 39 weapon Hit a dummy and with 47 weapon the same. The result was 1% damage for each Point i spent. Base dmg was from 39 weapon
Wed 9 Oct 2019 12:47 PM by REVOLTE
eh....the trade off between 50 bs and 44 weapon is a very simple one.

44 weapon gives you a quite noticeable dps boost plus its less power hungry which can come in handy in more drawn out fights, while 50 bs offers a very slight burst increase(because of the higher DELVE of the last shout. not because of the spelllevel per se, since every skald out there should have at least MoF II), a better healthreg song which barely ticks in combat plus red elemental resist songs which are pretty useless for mids in most scenarios.

so this means:
solo&smallman = 44/46
8man: either spec is fine.

i personally would always choose 44/46 because i think that even in an 8v8 scenario the increased pressure on the healers outweighs the very very minor benefits of a 50bs spec.
Thu 10 Oct 2019 12:10 AM by gotwqqd
REVOLTE wrote:
Wed 9 Oct 2019 12:47 PM

44 weapon gives you a quite noticeable dps boost plus its less power hungry which can come in handy in more drawn out fights, while 50 bs offers a very slight burst increase(because of the higher DELVE of the last shout. not because of the spelllevel per se, since every skald out there should have at least MoF II), a better healthreg song which barely ticks in combat plus red elemental resist songs which are pretty useless for mids in most scenarios.

so this means:
solo&smallman = 44/46

i personally would always choose 44/46 because i think that even in an 8v8 scenario the increased pressure on the healers outweighs the very very minor benefits of a 50bs spec.
What about 43BS/50axe or hammer/xx parry
Thu 10 Oct 2019 7:33 AM by REVOLTE
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019 12:10 AM

very wonky and inefficient.
unlike the 44/46 spec, the dps boost by going 50 weapon does NOT come at a small price.

by going 50 weapon you gain...
..a moderate amount of dps plus access to very underwhelming lvl50 styles (ragnarok - good style...but sword line is garbage compared to hammer. | tyrs fury - again....good style...but designed for 1v1 fights which is moot since the build itself sucks at 1v1 because of the same reason, why the lvl 50 HAMMER style does. | mjolnirs fury - cool name for a cool style. SADLY, with this build you end up having two points in parry. yes. two. and parrying is a prereq for the pre-style of mjolnirs fury, which renders the style utterly useless. and if that wasnt enough you will want to use every parry you get to use the revenge - thors answer combo which not only applies a dehaste but also a 7sec STUN)

the cons of this build(compared to 44/46 that is) are countless however so ill make it short...
- worse dmg song: almost but not quite negates your dmg boost you gain by going higher weapon when going out solo....amount of suckage increases exponentially w the amount of melees in your group
- worse shouts: having to use a lvl34 shout is disgusting. it gets resisted and deals little deeps.)
- parry: you have none. well....as mentioned before. two points. its still very bad.
- no red resist songs: the spirit/body/energy songs are underutilized and undervalued. ever ran without an auger in zerg for example and faced a saracen doing things with his staff at boltrange? press that energy song, enjoy 20% increased resist and shrug off that silly aoe mezz. your whole group that is. ever tried to solo a necro? or a sorc? weaving the correct resistsongs in wins fights you should have clearly lost.

i could elaborate further but i think by now you get my point.
Fri 11 Oct 2019 4:56 PM by gotwqqd
REVOLTE wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019 7:33 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019 12:10 AM

very wonky and inefficient.
unlike the 44/46 spec, the dps boost by going 50 weapon does NOT come at a small price.

by going 50 weapon you gain...
..a moderate amount of dps plus access to very underwhelming lvl50 styles (ragnarok - good style...but sword line is garbage compared to hammer. | tyrs fury - again....good style...but designed for 1v1 fights which is moot since the build itself sucks at 1v1 because of the same reason, why the lvl 50 HAMMER style does. | mjolnirs fury - cool name for a cool style. SADLY, with this build you end up having two points in parry. yes. two. and parrying is a prereq for the pre-style of mjolnirs fury, which renders the style utterly useless. and if that wasnt enough you will want to use every parry you get to use the revenge - thors answer combo which not only applies a dehaste but also a 7sec STUN)

the cons of this build(compared to 44/46 that is) are countless however so ill make it short...
- worse dmg song: almost but not quite negates your dmg boost you gain by going higher weapon when going out solo....amount of suckage increases exponentially w the amount of melees in your group
- worse shouts: having to use a lvl34 shout is disgusting. it gets resisted and deals little deeps.)
- parry: you have none. well....as mentioned before. two points. its still very bad.
- no red resist songs: the spirit/body/energy songs are underutilized and undervalued. ever ran without an auger in zerg for example and faced a saracen doing things with his staff at boltrange? press that energy song, enjoy 20% increased resist and shrug off that silly aoe mezz. your whole group that is. ever tried to solo a necro? or a sorc? weaving the correct resistsongs in wins fights you should have clearly lost.

i could elaborate further but i think by now you get my point.
Would 46/39/25 for higher parry work better or is 44 weapon a smarter choice
Fri 11 Oct 2019 8:25 PM by Liah
My skald is 50 Bs, all thats possible in hammer (think like 42?) and nothing in parry. havent heard anyone cry about it yet and i like it

edit: if you plan on playing solot though u wouldnt want to use this spec
Fri 11 Oct 2019 11:06 PM by gotwqqd
REVOLTE wrote:
Wed 9 Oct 2019 12:47 PM

so this means:
solo&smallman = 44/46

Why MoF?
For the very small resist reduction for snare/mezz?
Seems better spent elsewhere unless high RR
@50 with 46 BS using ((spell level + character level)/2)+MoF=Resist level

No MoF
Shouts are 46.5/47.5
Root/Mezz 45.5/46
Is it worth spending for the minimal increase?
Especially MoF2. The others are nearly capped with MoF1
Sun 13 Oct 2019 5:55 PM by REVOLTE
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 11 Oct 2019 11:06 PM
Why MoF?

because its damn good. best value points ull ever spend on a skald.

your formula is not correct. mof affects spelllevel. its not (spelllvl+charlvl)/2 + mof. its [(spelllvl+mof)+charlvl]/2.
so nothing caps with mof I and pretty much all your stuff (mezz, snare and DD(s)) ALMOST caps with MoF II.

back to specs....ofc many skald specs work. as long as you go 43 bs you can pretty much do your basic job of providing speed and rupting. so its not like you are suddenly going to feel crippled by going for a suboptimal spec. feel free to test many different ones...but i doubt you will find a better spec than 44/46 rly.
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:03 AM by gotwqqd
REVOLTE wrote:
Sun 13 Oct 2019 5:55 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 11 Oct 2019 11:06 PM
Why MoF?

because its damn good. best value points ull ever spend on a skald.

your formula is not correct. mof affects spelllevel. its not (spelllvl+charlvl)/2 + mof. its [(spelllvl+mof)+charlvl]/2.
so nothing caps with mof I and pretty much all your stuff (mezz, snare and DD(s)) ALMOST caps with MoF II.

back to specs....ofc many skald specs work. as long as you go 43 bs you can pretty much do your basic job of providing speed and rupting. so its not like you are suddenly going to feel crippled by going for a suboptimal spec. feel free to test many different ones...but i doubt you will find a better spec than 44/46 rly.
Hmmm
Problem is in last 3 days I’ve seen adamant posts, three different formulae, on how MoF works with resistance calculation.
Mine and yours are pretty close... only difference is where MoF boost is added. The other doesn’t even take into account caster level...only target level. As if there is no difference with a level 50 casting a level 12 spell vs a level 12 casting it
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:08 PM by REVOLTE
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:03 AM
Mine and yours are pretty close...

not really...yours would double mofs value.
im 99% sure my formula is correct. at least my tests indicate that mof II is optimal bang/buck-wise for a 46 bs spec.
Mon 14 Oct 2019 7:15 PM by gotwqqd
REVOLTE wrote:
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:08 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:03 AM
Mine and yours are pretty close...

not really...yours would double mofs value.
im 99% sure my formula is correct. at least my tests indicate that mof II is optimal bang/buck-wise for a 46 bs spec.

I didn’t mean numerically
I meant which factors used...they are same.
The other uses enemy level instead of caster level
Tue 15 Oct 2019 12:18 PM by Roto23
Keep in mind that even if you have MOF 1000 there will still be a 12% chance to get resisted.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics