Skald - why hammer over axe?

Started 12 Sep 2019
by Vrykolakes
in Midgard
I'm new to Skalds and after reviewing the styles, just curious why most Skalds go hammer. Is the endurance cost that significant of a difference?

For solo rvr, is the haste debuff in axe not appealing for fighting other melee toons? Do you parry enough that you can reliably get the haste debuff from the hammer style?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Thu 12 Sep 2019 2:53 PM by Makrist
I heard someone that plays a skald comment once before that the axe line is full of bleeds which break snares. If true that may explain a good part of the weapon choice. Its also worth noting 4 out of 7 armor types in Alb and Hib are vulnerable to crush. Only one is vulnerable to slash.
Thu 12 Sep 2019 5:13 PM by Vrykolakes
I don't think I saw too many bleeds in axe line, but the vulnerability is something I didn't consider, as I haven't played melee before. Thanks 😊
Thu 12 Sep 2019 8:42 PM by Cadebrennus
Vrykolakes wrote: ↑
Thu 12 Sep 2019 5:13 PM
I don't think I saw too many bleeds in axe line, but the vulnerability is something I didn't consider, as I haven't played melee before. Thanks 😊

https://drunkenranger.shivtr.com/forum_threads/3112553

If you're primarily chasing support and want the best damage table, go with Axe/Sword, since Slash damage is neutral to all Albs and has a bonus vs Druids/Wardens, and is negative only to Bards, who are on a lower ABS level anyways. Blunt damage (Hammer) will put you at a negative for 2 Alb support classes (Cleric and Minstrel) and only have a bonus against one Alb support class (Friar, who's already in a very low ABS armor anyways: Leather), and negative for all Hib support except for the Bard. If you're primarily soloing then it really depends on who is also soloing in the frontier and how often you expect certain classes to show up.
Thu 12 Sep 2019 9:01 PM by gotwqqd
Vrykolakes wrote: ↑
Thu 12 Sep 2019 5:13 PM

I’ve always thought the axe line was miss best.
But it is the breaking of cc that most favor the hammer line for
Wed 18 Sep 2019 10:54 AM by REVOLTE
a tad late, i know, but...uhm...in addition to the other things mentioned in this thread..........there are no good endgame axes, while theres plenty of viable hammers to choose from.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 11:55 AM by inoeth
dudes the main reason for hammer is conquer lvl 29 back side snare style
Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:56 PM by Keelia
inoeth wrote: ↑
Wed 18 Sep 2019 11:55 AM
dudes the main reason for hammer is conquer lvl 29 back side snare style
Yea took a while for someone to post it.
Tue 7 Jan 2020 6:20 AM by pegasus30
Main reason to go hammer is to get backsnare positional for solo and group. It is also you can get 2 chain stun style going from reactional parry and side positional mainly when solo.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics