How to spec an Archer Ranger ?

Started 5 Jun 2019
by Shadanwolf
in Hibernia
Besides 50 archer(yes that is a given)...how would you spec the rest. I have been going Pathfinding so far but now that I'm 49..I need to make final decisions. Your thoughts and suggestions please.
Wed 5 Jun 2019 8:09 PM by Horus
My current spec and why at RR6L7..but this is just me. You preferences may vary

Keen

Stealth = 35 I would like go lower but I'd hate to lose the MoS at 35
Pierce = 25. I just really like Diamondback off evade stun. I still suck at melee but at least I have a chance if a pet gets on me in keep defense or if I have to finish someone off who is almost dead and on me...
PF = 48 With the buff changes I think that last dex quick is just too good. I have 370 dex with PF+dex pot (and some aug dex RA and MoArc 2)
Bow = 42 That is just what was left after I got the things I wanted above.

If I had to go 50 bow I think I would just lower my stealth to 30 and pierce (or CD) to 16 and understand that I would be a vulnerable close range target. But you would have max range dmg that way....

I'm still squishy but I just could not bring myself to be THAT squishy..although if I get bored I might try it sometime just to see how it works.
Thu 6 Jun 2019 12:49 AM by stewbeedoo
I'm not sure an Archer Ranger spec is what you will really want. I think Hybrid or even Melee is the way to go. Of course it depends on your playstyle.

My rationale:
1. Tests made on the old archery system showed only a 7% damage increase from 35 to 50 Bow. So back in the day, and for the most part today, the standard was 35 Bow (for Rapid Fire).
2. The other issue is that you will fight all kinds of classes (assassins, shield classes, etc.). Pretty much the only thing you will be able to kill with your Bow alone are casters (using Rapid Fire to keep them interrupted and apply constant damage as they try to get out of range). Shield classes can use Engage and nullify your Bow and against assassins you will often be melee only. I end up using the Bow to get a few shots in and then melee most fights. So I would spec Bow no higher than 35 and put the rest in Weapon and Celtic Dual.
3. The last issue is Pathfinding vs Potions. As an Archer Ranger you will want very high Dex and will be tempted to go high PF and maybe even MoArc. This will give you a higher Dex than you can get using Pots, but I think the Spec and RA points are far better spent on other things.

Have fun with whatever you decide!
Thu 6 Jun 2019 3:46 PM by inoeth
yeah guys keep specing 50 bow! my hunter is waiting for you ;D
Wed 12 Jun 2019 10:08 AM by Virn
50 bow until 5L via BG, volley and rapid fire will be your mains skills.

After 5L :
If you continue BG only, keep 50 bow like you will not be efficient in close combat (reroll BM if you want close combat in BG).
If you prefer solo/duo/stealth group 35 bows or less seems a good way.

Edit : With my test I saw 8% dmg's gap between 35 and 50. Like this and looking the cost, 8% seems awfull. However with volley you put 8% per sec and can continue to growth your bow's dmg if your specs (skills and RR) focus only this path. Trust me, in a BG a groundassist of 2 rangers' volley is insane to lighten the ennemies' line.
Thu 13 Jun 2019 1:11 AM by Victos
Virn wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2019 10:08 AM
50 bow until 5L via BG, volley and rapid fire will be your mains skills.

After 5L :
If you continue BG only, keep 50 bow like you will not be efficient in close combat (reroll BM if you want close combat in BG).
If you prefer solo/duo/stealth group 35 bows or less seems a good way.

Edit : With my test I saw 8% dmg's gap between 35 and 50. Like this and looking the cost, 8% seems awfull. However with volley you put 8% per sec and can continue to growth your bow's dmg if your specs (skills and RR) focus only this path. Trust me, in a BG a groundassist of 2 rangers' volley is insane to lighten the ennemies' line.

8% is 8% no matter how many arrows you're shooting, so that argument is invalid. 15 levels for 8% is just utter garbage and shouldn't even remotely be considered a viable option.

8% basically means that someone with these 8% deals the same damage in 13 arrows as someone without it deals in 14. (12.5 vs 13.5 but let's just assume nice numbers here and don't shoot half-arrows)

Skill levels from 35 to 50 however means 645 skill points, which is enough to push another line from 1 to 35 and have 16 skill points left.

I myself wouldn't (ever) trade a whole lvl 35 skill-line for "one arrow more" every 13 arrows.
Thu 13 Jun 2019 2:06 AM by gotwqqd
BG?
BM?
Thu 13 Jun 2019 3:51 PM by Sepphiroth75
Do not go above 35 bow because it is simply not worth it. I wanted to be a high spec bow ranger so i tried 45 bow but for what you gain over 35 bow you really gimp melee.

Currently at rr6 i am 35 bow 34 pierce 25 cd 42 pathfinding (best af buff) 34 stealth.

I think this is a solid spec. I can hang in melee and my bow damage with yellow dex/quick and some falcons eye and aug dex is solid.

Only other spec i would do if you are set on being a bow ranger is 48 pf 35 bow.
Thu 13 Jun 2019 6:49 PM by gotwqqd
Sepphiroth75 wrote:
Thu 13 Jun 2019 3:51 PM
Do not go above 35 bow because it is simply not worth it. I wanted to be a high spec bow ranger so i tried 45 bow but for what you gain over 35 bow you really gimp melee.

Currently at rr6 i am 35 bow 34 pierce 25 cd 42 pathfinding (best af buff) 34 stealth.

I think this is a solid spec. I can hang in melee and my bow damage with yellow dex/quick and some falcons eye and aug dex is solid.

Only other spec i would do if you are set on being a bow ranger is 48 pf 35 bow.
This is such a telling comment that archery needs to be addressed. If you have no reason to spec 50 it’s pretty pathetic
Fri 14 Jun 2019 12:53 PM by Sepphiroth75
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 13 Jun 2019 6:49 PM
Sepphiroth75 wrote:

This is such a telling comment that archery needs to be addressed. If you have no reason to spec 50 it’s pretty pathetic

You are correct. 40 bow gives penetrating arrow 2 which im not even sure works because i dont see a difference from penetrating arrow 1 at 30 bow. Then at 45 bow is rapid fire 2 which only uses less endurance than rapid fire 1 at 35 bow.

Only thing specing 50 bow over 35 is a little damage per shot but like i said the gain you get from it will ruin your melee or pathfinding spec. If you really want to gain good bow damage invest in falcons eye, i have around 330 dex 35+16 bow with falcons eye 5 and its pretty nice damage. Its not the best but i can actually melee in fights which happens alot even thou im trying to be a bow ranger.
Fri 14 Jun 2019 10:06 PM by Azuell
Sepphiroth75 wrote:

How do you do against assassins here? I was leveling up a NS since on live I played a Scout and wanted to try an assassin at 50. I'm thinking about doing a Ranger instead but it seems like archers are pretty weak here.
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:17 PM by Virn
Victos wrote:
Thu 13 Jun 2019 1:11 AM
I myself wouldn't (ever) trade a whole lvl 35 skill-line for "one arrow more" every 13 arrows.

Okay, you didn't read or understood my previous post. I said that a ranger with 50 in bow is a good battlegroup spec only. Why ? Because you'll never charge an ennemie's battlegroup in front line or only to finish receding ennemies (I give you a free tips, you can finish too with your bow far away).

Moreover, if we optimize all this spec (cap D/Q buffs and RR skills), dmg's gap between a classic specs with 35 bow and a particular specs with 50 bow continue to growth. Indeed, 8% is a raw result with no RR and buffs. I think that we gain easily 12% (min) dmg if this way are totaly focused. But your answer will be same of previous : "used 645 points for 12%+ blabla invalid argument blabla garbage spec blabla".

You must understand that, with my POV, spend too much points in close weapons is useless. Why ? Because you'll never charge an ennemie's battlegroup ; sorry for this ironic repetition . Spend points in close weapons to take snare or stun skills is enough, those skills used sometime to help healer/magician followed by ennmies during a charge.

However, as I said on my previous post, if you play alone or in stealth's group 35 or less in bow is a better way.
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:29 PM by Roto23
can any of you guys recommend a good Thid hunter spec?
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:37 PM by cere2
Roto23 wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:29 PM

I would try...
21 bow
21 bc
15 stealth
6 spear/sword

Kite fo yo life!
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:45 PM by Roto23
cere2 wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:37 PM
Roto23 wrote:

I would try...
21 bow
21 bc
15 stealth
6 spear/sword

Kite fo yo life!

I guess I should have mentioned that I want to be able to take on Ns's and Inf's. I don't know if that is possible but I have seen videos of a 50 hunter doing well against them. I don't know how that plays out at lvl 24 though
Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:25 PM by cere2
Roto23 wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:45 PM
cere2 wrote:
Roto23 wrote:

I would try...
21 bow
21 bc
15 stealth
6 spear/sword

Kite fo yo life!

I guess I should have mentioned that I want to be able to take on Ns's and Inf's. I don't know if that is possible but I have seen videos of a 50 hunter doing well against them. I don't know how that plays out at lvl 24 though

Going to be a tough one there. Might have to drop bow and go full on bc/melee
Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:08 PM by Cadebrennus
Roto23 wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:45 PM
cere2 wrote:
Roto23 wrote:

I would try...
21 bow
21 bc
15 stealth
6 spear/sword

Kite fo yo life!

The dog should count as an extra attacker which reduces enemy evade which is probably the main reason they're doing well.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 9:09 AM by Virn
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 13 Jun 2019 2:06 AM
BG?
BM?

BG = Battlegroup (or Battleground in other case)
BM = Blademaster

Edit : Okay with last patch Volley skill is totaly killed ; now 50 in bow have no sens. /respect 35 bow & all RR.
Wed 19 Jun 2019 6:49 PM by Victos
Virn wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:17 PM
Victos wrote:
Thu 13 Jun 2019 1:11 AM

Okay, you didn't read or understood my previous post. I said that a ranger with 50 in bow is a good battlegroup spec only. Why ? Because you'll never charge an ennemie's battlegroup in front line or only to finish receding ennemies (I give you a free tips, you can finish too with your bow far away).

Moreover, if we optimize all this spec (cap D/Q buffs and RR skills), dmg's gap between a classic specs with 35 bow and a particular specs with 50 bow continue to growth. Indeed, 8% is a raw result with no RR and buffs. I think that we gain easily 12% (min) dmg if this way are totaly focused. But your answer will be same of previous : "used 645 points for 12%+ blabla invalid argument blabla garbage spec blabla".

You must understand that, with my POV, spend too much points in close weapons is useless. Why ? Because you'll never charge an ennemie's battlegroup ; sorry for this ironic repetition . Spend points in close weapons to take snare or stun skills is enough, those skills used sometime to help healer/magician followed by ennmies during a charge.

However, as I said on my previous post, if you play alone or in stealth's group 35 or less in bow is a better way.

Yeah, because I disagree with your post I must thereby not have read or understood it, what a conclusion.

You will end up in melee combat sooner or later and you're putting yourself at an even bigger disadvantage just to gain 8%, which is again just a single arrow every 13 arrows. In a "battlegroup" (you're talking about a zerg-only spec I guess?) each individual spec is hardly relevant anyways so I would rather pick a good all-rounder even if it's just for the occasional melee fight, the way to the zerg or for occasional non-zerg-gameplay.

I think 35+ in bow is wasted potential given the current state of archery unless you're somehow magically in an environment that puts you at range for the full duration of a fight - and - make specs actually matter (because 8% dmg are even less relevant when 30 archers shoot the same target, besides minimal rp distribution based on total damage). That might change in the future however.

So yes, I do understand your position and you're free to do what ever you want with your skillpoints, but I think zerging makes specs irrelevant and "always being at range" is not the reality, at least not for the vast majority of players.
Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:41 AM by Leandrys
No he's right when talking about BG's ranger, i've made a little lurikeen 18 dext/1 consti at creation and quickly xp'ed her to 50 to see 100% max'ed out bow's damages by myself, honnestly, it's pretty good, it's that simple, been turning in a few hours with her and i was at 20K+ rp per hour very easily.

Almost 400 dext at 3L+, falcon's eye starting to grow very decently, damages are very good against clothies (700+ minimum, peaking at 900+ depending of buffs) and RF'ed, devastating on leather, 93 dext/quick with a little touch of MoA, ofc quickness is miles away beyond the 250 cap but it's helps a lot when i get debuff'ed, i almost do not feel it in firerate.

Melee ? I just don't care, i'm never at melee, either i kill at distance or run away, there's no point engaging one target at melee in battlegroups, any point in it is a waste, melee ranger or not i'll die under any magical damage source, and as a ranger i can not climb walls, melee = useless in BGs.

So yeah, if you want to play archer in a casual way into BGs, go for it and for real, add any damage's source you're able to, the rest doesn't matter at all, but do it for real, no celt/shar/dwarf races.

But then, i can't stop myself thinking to scout who should be the best archer in DAOC, and isn't at all on Phoenix...
Thu 20 Jun 2019 10:23 AM by Shadanwolf
Leandrys wrote:
Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:41 AM
No he's right when talking about BG's ranger, i've made a little lurikeen 18 dext/1 consti at creation and quickly xp'ed her to 50 to see 100% max'ed out bow's damages by myself, honnestly, it's pretty good, it's that simple, been turning in a few hours with her and i was at 20K+ rp per hour very easily.

Almost 400 dext at 3L+, falcon's eye starting to grow very decently, damages are very good against clothies (700+ minimum, peaking at 900+ depending of buffs) and RF'ed, devastating on leather, 93 dext/quick with a little touch of MoA, ofc quickness is miles away beyond the 250 cap but it's helps a lot when i get debuff'ed, i almost do not feel it in firerate.

Melee ? I just don't care, i'm never at melee, either i kill at distance or run away, there's no point engaging one target at melee in battlegroups, any point in it is a waste, melee ranger or not i'll die under any magical damage source, and as a ranger i can not climb walls, melee = useless in BGs.

So yeah, if you want to play archer in a casual way into BGs, go for it and for real, add any damage's source you're able to, the rest doesn't matter at all, but do it for real, no celt/shar/dwarf races.

But then, i can't stop myself thinking to scout who should be the best archer in DAOC, and isn't at all on Phoenix...

So you specced how ? Max Pathfinding and Max bow ?
Thu 20 Jun 2019 2:04 PM by Horus
Leandrys wrote:
Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:41 AM

I'd like to see some screenshots of 900+ crit shots against level 50 targets who are not sitting. FE does not affect crit shot.
At RR6L8 at have aug dex 6, PF48 and MoA2 (no point in going higher, it does not affect the buffs any further)
My self buffed + Potion dex is 370 (396 with bard base dex which I rarely have).
I am at 58 ( 42+ 16) bow.
With a 5.5 speed bow and right arrow for the job I never crit for 900 unless the target is sitting or not lev 50.

Standard crit on cloth is around 600, maybe a little higher
Reg shot is a little above 300

If there is something that I am missing to get 900 crits I sure would like to know about it.
Fri 21 Jun 2019 12:30 AM by Leandrys
It's bus fighting, some of your targets do not even have buffpots on, even if temp'ed, and a lot of people using pots sometimes can not refresh them cause of timer.

I didn't increase FE at the beginning as i just wanted to max out damages on crit shot to start with her, want for max dext, when buffed by another player i was beyond 400 dext at 3L.

The spec is viable, it's just another gamestyle, you have to be the perfect a55hole when playing full bow, if i was going to play her for real, i would simply not even bother with melee, even at 8L+, i just do not care at all about purge/IP fighting, just wanted to try a real full bow ranger by myself, it's ok, RPs are easily raining all over you, momentum and positionning are all you need. Gonna let her rest quietly at 4L now, if was a fun day of RvR tho.

But let's be clear, you DPS will never get close to any caster's one, you do not roll an archer to reach high levels of DPS anyway, one quick burst at the worst time psosible for the enemy if all you're aiming for.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:59 PM by watbrif
Sorry for this banal question (but given the various patches the live version has gone through, I'm slightly confused now): what does Quickness do for an archer (apart from melee weapons speed, 50% of evade)? Does it affect bow speed in any way?
Sun 28 Jul 2019 4:03 PM by gotwqqd
watbrif wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:59 PM
Sorry for this banal question (but given the various patches the live version has gone through, I'm slightly confused now): what does Quickness do for an archer (apart from melee weapons speed, 50% of evade)? Does it affect bow speed in any way?

Yes bow draw/release
Dex is bow damage
Sun 28 Jul 2019 4:21 PM by watbrif
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 4:03 PM
watbrif wrote:
Sun 28 Jul 2019 3:59 PM

Yes bow draw/release
Dex is bow damage

Perfect, thanks for the quick response.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics