How hard is it to land a Conflagration with a Valewalker?

Started 1 Apr 2019
by DinoTriz
in Hibernia
It's the 4th style in the VW evade chain, but man it looks like it hits hard.

How common can you pull it off in RVR?

It would be the only reason why I'd go 50 Scythe.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 11:07 AM by Crash Tan
I think the main reason for 50 scythe is for WS and it is debatable if arb is worth going over 38...
Mon 1 Apr 2019 11:30 AM by DinoTriz
Crash Tan wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 11:07 AM
I think the main reason for 50 scythe is for WS and it is debatable if arb is worth going over 38...

Thanks!
Mon 1 Apr 2019 12:48 PM by dudis
Damage looks great indeed but I'd be amazed if anyone has ever pulled of a 4-style off-evade chain in RvR.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 4:51 PM by Auranyte
dudis wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 12:48 PM
Damage looks great indeed but I'd be amazed if anyone has ever pulled of a 4-style off-evade chain in RvR.

With our crappy miss-rate, its amazing if you can pull one off in pve. I don't even have the 3rd in the Parry chain on my bar because then 2nd in chain misses so much.

Valewalkers as a whole are built as a caster with caster melee miss rates. If you don't believe me that Valewalkers were created with a caster as a base, try comparing your mana costs on spells with and without a focus staff. VW mana cost are reduced with a focus staff just like all other cloth casters in the game. The one nice thing is that we can put Arb Focus on a scythe and lower our spell costs that way.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 6:25 PM by Foofmonger
Happy to try and help here, but I'm gonna keep my responses concise and to the point.

1. The style does hit hard and has the VW's best growth rate combined with a DD proc.

2. You will not pull it off commonly in RvR, but it is possible to pull it off very occasionally. You will likely only ever see it pop in 1v1 or smallman situations where you are fighting someone who is tanky enough to live long enough to get hit by the whole chain, and who doesn't have high avoidance defenses (evade/block/parry), or if they do have high avoidance defenses, they get unlucky with RNG, and also you don't get CCed in the middle of the chain. Basically, it's super duper niche. I do not have in specced, so I will never pull it off in RvR, but I do and can occasionally pull off the 3rd style evade/parry chains. I'd assume I'd be able to occasionally get conflag off if I had it.

3. Don't go 50 scythe? It's not a good spec.

To respond to some of the other comments on the thread.

1. Yea the only reason to go 50 scythe is for the WS increase over 44. You don't go 50 scythe for Conflag. That being said, I wouldn't ever touch 50 scythe as spec.

2. VW's don't have "crappy miss rates", they are to be expected based on the weapon table and the +to hit on the styles that the VW has. Biggest issue VW has with miss rate is Winter's Scythe having a +5 instead of a +10, but it's a minor issue. As per it pertains to the question proposed in this thread, all of the evade chain attacks have either a +10 or +15 to hit, so miss rate is a lesser concern over evade/parry/block when it comes to pulling off a 4 style reactive chain (which is not to say that misses don't happen, just that it's no different then most melee classes trying to land 4 style reactive chains, it's just naturally difficult).

And the obligatory TLDR to answer the original question: It ain't easy!
Fri 28 Feb 2020 3:09 PM by gotwqqd
The +to hits need to be adjust an additional +5 on sawgrass and it’s chain styles

Winter scyth also needs bump
Thu 5 Mar 2020 6:15 AM by palidian
Auranyte wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 4:51 PM
dudis wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 12:48 PM

With our crappy miss-rate, its amazing if you can pull one off in pve. I don't even have the 3rd in the Parry chain on my bar because then 2nd in chain misses so much.

Valewalkers as a whole are built as a caster with caster melee miss rates. If you don't believe me that Valewalkers were created with a caster as a base, try comparing your mana costs on spells with and without a focus staff. VW mana cost are reduced with a focus staff just like all other cloth casters in the game. The one nice thing is that we can put Arb Focus on a scythe and lower our spell costs that way.

I dont have a poor hit rate. Is your weapon enchanted?
Thu 5 Mar 2020 6:17 AM by palidian
DinoTriz wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 10:54 AM
It's the 4th style in the VW evade chain, but man it looks like it hits hard.

How common can you pull it off in RVR?

It would be the only reason why I'd go 50 Scythe.

I go 44 scythe, as that 50 chain is almost impossable to pull off, first of all someone has to be stupid enough to duke it out with a valewalker, and if they do they have friends. I rarely get past the second in either chain.
Thu 5 Mar 2020 5:32 PM by Takeahnase
i pulled it off 3 times yesterday in 3 different 1v1 fights. It's definitely not easy though. All the fights were against (relatively) low rr 2H melee classes -- i think all three of them were skalds xD

i really think they should implement the live scythe styles that came into play shortly after the release of SI. That made the style chains considerably less tedious, and brought a fair amount of balance to the melee component of the VW. They probably won't implement those styles on Phoenix.

After playing a VW on live to r11 and lone enforcer, i was ultra skeptical about how well the VW would hold up on Phoenix in melee situations. So far, though, it seems to not be too bad, even for r3.

Here's a thread from last year:
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10150
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics