The Primary Role of a Mentalist is..........?

Started 9 Feb 2019
by Shadanwolf
in Hibernia
Some have said it is to de-mez and nuke. what do you say ?
Sat 9 Feb 2019 5:03 PM by Afuldan
Demezz and nuke whatever the ench is debuffing. Back up CC if your bard is asleep at the keyboard.
Sat 9 Feb 2019 11:31 PM by Arshesmaral
From everything I'm reading, the default RvR spec for a Mentalist is 45 Light/28 Ment/10 Mana, which would make your roles as such:
• Spec DD Nukes (preferably on targets with Heat Debuffs) as Afuldan said.
• Demezz friendlies, also as Afuldan said.
• With Mentalism as sub-spec, you also have the option of throwing out appreciable heals, but likely that would be secondary to your main goal of melting the faces off realm enemies. It's still a nice option to have, though.
• Single-target Mezzing, but by the time you would consider using that, they likely already have immunity timers going. Perhaps the odd duck in an encounter that escapes the AoE Mez?
• Looking good. You did make an Elf, right?
Sun 10 Feb 2019 5:34 AM by Shadanwolf
Made a Luri.....How key is that I have Elf ?
Sun 10 Feb 2019 7:19 AM by Frigzy
Luri or Elf are the best races. Both are up for preference. Lurikeens are great at not being seen and cast faster!
Sun 10 Feb 2019 9:38 PM by Arshesmaral
If you're looking to make an RvR character, go Lurikeen. Being small definitely has its advantages.
• However, Elves have better resistances, but that's so small a difference to not reeeeeeeeeally matter.
• A third option is making a Celt Mentalist. Someone clicking on you and seeing 'Celt' may opt to switch to another character for target priority. It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it. Plus, you get spiky hair, which is always in vogue.

If you're going a PvE route, either works, and is more about what race's backside you'd like to see at all times.
• However, male Elves don't 'ride the invisible bicycle' like male Lurikeens do when they run, which may not matter to most people - but it bugs the hell out of me.
• Female Lurikeens are just so adorable.

Conclusion: Make your Mentalist whatever race you want. It doesn't make that huge a difference.
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:23 AM by Shadanwolf
Well I'm sticking with Luri Thanks for all the suggestions. Currently running with a light spec for the AOE DD.My 20 level was quite effective in thin as a pure light
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:55 AM by Tritri
Play the way you want but know that leveling will be insanely faster as mana ment : easier to find group and easier to solo aswell

You can respec anytime you want ;p
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:58 AM by Shadanwolf
Thanks for the suggestion...I will defiantly look into it.
Mon 11 Feb 2019 3:41 PM by Relidar
Shadanwolf wrote:
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...I will defiantly look into it.

Not sure if that was on purpose, but i laughed
Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:51 PM by opossum12
Why would someone run 10 mana instead of 46 light?

Im my mind 46 light has way more value than getting a 30 pt HoT? You won't save anyone with that HoT, while the extra point in light saves you one full RR of composite light spec to get less resists on charm.

Essentially, a ment is
- prime spec nuker
- un'ccable demezzer
Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:55 PM by Shadanwolf
Currently my 21 level baby ment is 21 light. But i'm enjoying hearing all the opinions.
Fri 15 Feb 2019 1:02 PM by randomeclipse
My Luri is up to 21 so far, and I've just gone full Ment for group utility/buffs. I may swap over at 50 though, unless people are screaming for Mana Ments left, right and centre .
Fri 15 Feb 2019 2:28 PM by Tritri
I really don't see what you bring to a pve group as a mentalism spec.

You could argue that you bring heals, but if you want a healer you take any druid / bard / warden that will do the job just fine

Mana ment are prized not for their pom (bards can do it too), but for the HoT which doesn't generate any aggro, allowing for the pet to generate aggro without the healers generating any
They also bring a respectable aoedot which can help on high level mobs

So mentalism gives you : somewhat useless heals, a totally useless confusion (only bring chaos in a meta that want to control aggro), useless mezzes (only useful to mezz in melees group, and a melee group without bard isn't going anywhere if they don't have pot, and the bard got better mezzes... so you'll need to find a melee group that got end potion and no bard so that your mezz actually becomes useful). A cure demezz... useless again in pve (will be usefull on high end bosses)

Honestly, I'd prefere a sun ment over a mentalism ment anytime, at least they bring respectable aoe dps
Fri 15 Feb 2019 8:01 PM by opossum12
And yeah you only put points in mentalism at 40+ (with your mini ding points).

There is a reason the Mentalism line was revamped a couple times (now it's the best spec line on Live)
Wed 29 May 2019 5:01 AM by gotwqqd
Break CC
Fri 31 May 2019 8:21 AM by bigne88
One of your main role, witch noone mentioned yet, is to stun the MA, while the enchanter will debuff it and the eldritch will desease.

And ofc use your pet to rupt / demezz yourself.

Than Static Charge! It will take some practice to use it in the right moment (after a slam for istance), but is an amazing RA
Mon 1 Jul 2019 10:49 AM by Anelyn77
A bit older thread, but since I only play my mentalist here on hib and got to 6L1 yesterday, doing it all from solo, duo, small / 8m and bg / keeps take / defense.

1st) Make sure everyone knows how important a pet is for you and for the whole group. If they don't care about you having a pet, then you are in the wrong group and won't have a fun experience, period.

2) Keep said pet on passive until you get mezzd / rooted, nothing worse than your pet being 1.5-2k units away from you when you get CC, after you get immunity to at least 1 big CC, you can use your pet for rupts (but be careful and communicate with your bard / druids CC so your pet won't break important CC)

3) Always your first job is to demezz the bard, if bard is free and can demezz (always voice coms) you need to pay attention to your position, your MA position, and enemy position, so you are always in range to stun + nuke the MA target.

4) You have a strong AoE to clear pets, always communicate with your team, so they stay put (because pets bunch up which makes it easy to 1shot with 1 aoe instead of casting multiples), sure if you are nearsighted, stunned, rooted and can't break, they will go to eld or chanter (because bomb), but you can clear them from range so it's easier (IMHO).

5) Don't be shy to assist with single heals if needed, like when kitting / pulling back waiting on enemy to push etc, if you are not nuking, you can do this without problems and will be appreciated

6) Always communicate with your group when you drop ST, pref to combo it your warden TWF for maximum efficiency

7) Have fun, don't be afraid to play aggressive but know your limits (dictated by your support), call on disco when you get trained (and say your name, like Aicha stunned, big dmg inc on me), call which direction you are kitting if you need peels (with your shield, obv you will run towards them, but if they are on the other side of a TWF you won't run through it, so yeah makes sense no?).

That's it from me, have fun you all <3

PS:
If everyone on enemy team is root / mezz Immune, feel free to throw an AoE on any 3+ bunched peeps, use QC if needed, it's a great rupt and breaks enemy momentum so that your group can get the initiative, pmuch use all your tools and communicate with grp at all time, cheers!

/Aicha R6L1 Elf Mentalist proud member of <Emerald Knights>
Tue 16 Jul 2019 7:25 AM by gotwqqd
I’d love to see the live spec lines here.
NS, damage w/speeadheal
Would be interesting
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics