Valewalker spec

Started 27 Jan 2019
by FoxFritter
in Hibernia
I'm interested in making a valewalker..No clue if there's ONLY ONE way you should spec a VW...or if there are alternatives. If there are, explain them a bit to me.

I'm just trying to not gimp myself.
Sun 27 Jan 2019 2:57 AM by Mousline
I don't really play VWs but with my game experience I would assume that you want to max Scythe rest Arb to level. At 50 i'm not experienced enough to really comment so hopefully someone that knows more about them can help you out. Get Tireless 1 at level 5 with your first RSP it will help a lot for endo.
Sun 27 Jan 2019 8:32 AM by majedorcanie
SPEC
50 scythe 38 arbo 20 parry for group and solo.
50 scythe 43 arbo 2 parry for group only.
44 scythe 43 arbo 23 parry for group and solo too.
44 scythe 38 arbo 30 parry for solo.
44 scythe 34 arbo 35 parry for solo too.

RACE
Celt : +10 STR +10 DEXT +10 INTEL
SYLVAN : +10 STR +10 DEXT +10 VIVA

The minimum in scythe is 44 for back stun.
The minimum in arbo is 34 for the last absorption buff 33%.
For pex your level in arbo the rest in scythe until you obtain the 34% absorption buff.

RA : regen mana in first then tireless then long wind. For pex it's more easier.
Group : détermination and bezzadling aura and purge 1 or 2.
Solo : purge and ignore pain in first.

After passives strength, dext, viva, master of parry, mastery of pain, wild power like you want for solo and group.
Sun 27 Jan 2019 4:09 PM by FoxFritter
majedorcanie wrote:
Sun 27 Jan 2019 8:32 AM
SPEC

RACE

For pex your level in arbo the rest in scythe until you obtain the 34% absorption buff.

RA : regen mana in first then tireless then long wind. For pex it's more easier.

After passives strength, dext, viva, master of parry, mastery of pain, wild power like you want for solo and group.

Awesome, thanks a ton!

So, in your opinion, what do you think the best RvR spec would be?

Also, as I'm leveling is there a standard formula for pumping points level to level?
Sun 27 Jan 2019 4:20 PM by majedorcanie
Standart spec : 50 scythe 38 arbo 20 parry

Always your level in spec arbo.
For pull 3/4 Lifedrain then scythe.
First RA : regen mana.

Go charplan :
Lvl10 : 10 arbo 5 scythe
lvl 20 : 20 arbo 13 scythe
lvl 30 : 30 arbo 20 scythe
lvl 34 : 34 arbo 23 scythe
Lv 44 : 34 arbo 44 scythe
Mon 28 Jan 2019 10:03 PM by Pirhana7
FoxFritter wrote:
Sun 27 Jan 2019 4:09 PM
majedorcanie wrote:
Sun 27 Jan 2019 8:32 AM
SPEC

RACE

Awesome, thanks a ton!

So, in your opinion, what do you think the best RvR spec would be?

Also, as I'm leveling is there a standard formula for pumping points level to level?

I played a VW from the beginning on Iseult from the days no one understood how to play them until later on when they upgraded and became OPd lol
For Phoenix I would strongly recommend 44 Scythe, 46 Arb, 17 parry

With 44 Scythe you have the big back stun and still have very high weapon skill. There is no noticeable difference I damage or defense penetration compared to 50 Scythe, The style from 50 Scythe is the 4th chain in your evade chain which will very rarely ever be used or even needed. if you have made it to the 3rd style in your evade chain you have won the fight lol. 46 Arb gives you red 20% disease proc, this ability is very under apreaciated as it will slow your target so they cant get away, cant be healed very good, and also makes you tougher in a toe to toe fight. 17 parry will still let you see a lot of parries because it uses the 2hand parry bonus, add some moparry on that and you will be a defensive fighter with crazy reactionary damage and positional damage. Also your first ra should be Tireless, as it will let you chain fights and rarely have to sit.
Tue 29 Jan 2019 5:27 PM by majedorcanie
I played a VW too on Orcanie and Ywain (2004-2013).
I come back on Ywain in 2017 too.
Up to Arbo 43 to 46 just for a buff with 5% more chance to proc with the proc at 36 is not a good idea for me.
After on this server the scythe style 50 is unusable but it's a big up for your WS for solo/small men to pass the defense.
In Arbo 38 +11 + RR is enough for damage.
Not a big difference with 46 +11 +RR.
Wed 30 Jan 2019 8:20 AM by Pirhana7
majedorcanie wrote:
Tue 29 Jan 2019 5:27 PM
I played a VW too on Orcanie and Ywain (2004-2013).
I come back on Ywain in 2017 too.
Up to Arbo 43 to 46 just for a buff with 5% more chance to proc with the proc at 36 is not a good idea for me.
After on this server the scythe style 50 is unusable but it's a big up for your WS for solo/small men to pass the defense.
In Arbo 38 +11 + RR is enough for damage.
Not a big difference with 46 +11 +RR.

While it just says 5% more chance it really procs a lot more than you would think. It seems like it procs every other attack and being 10 levels higher it gets resisted much less. The difference between going from 43 to 46 arb only costs you 6 points in parry from 23 down to 17.
Wed 30 Jan 2019 12:05 PM by majedorcanie
Do it.
I prefer advise new VW with a standart spec 50/38/20.
And it's a good spec for OF.
Thu 31 Jan 2019 5:23 AM by Gundorf
What are everyone's thoughts on end game scythe in this version? Without the df scythe, is there an obvious choice to throw into a template? That fast galla one?
Thu 31 Jan 2019 12:53 PM by Foofmonger
Scythe choice is up to you. Either you want a relatively fast one and to cap you qui or you want one of the slow ones and have very low qui. Depends on if you want to maximize frontloaded burst (go slow) or style procs (go fast).

I personally went with the vine covered scythe from galla and the fast route, and I like it a lot. I don't do the massive run up and hit once burst damage thing, but fully buffed with self haste I'm right near the swing speed cap so I'm rotating stuns/peels and try to get off as many style procs as I can. It also has a lifefrain proc, which works well with all the swings.

I know of at least 2 other vws who went with the verdant scythe 5.0 speed and the armor buff proc. And that would be the slower style.

But yea, the basic points is either choose fast or slow, and then I'd say the next thing you want to consider is the proc, then finally stats. You can't really change the swing speed/proc, but you can temp your stats around your weapon so they're probably the least important.
Fri 1 Feb 2019 3:22 PM by FoxFritter
I'd honestly probably prefer a faster scythe. Miss chances are pretty high on VW..missing a 5s swing multiple times hurts A LOT more than missing on a faster scythe.
Fri 1 Feb 2019 5:09 PM by Jmitch
Are there any 6.0 speed scythes in this version? I vaguely remember needing an SI random drop scythe because it was one of the only ways to get a 6.0 speed scythe back in the day.
Fri 1 Feb 2019 8:07 PM by Foofmonger
Jmitch wrote:
Fri 1 Feb 2019 5:09 PM
Are there any 6.0 speed scythes in this version? I vaguely remember needing an SI random drop scythe because it was one of the only ways to get a 6.0 speed scythe back in the day.

I don't know for certain, but the slowest feather scythe is 5.7, so most likely if there are it's a random drop.
Fri 1 Feb 2019 8:12 PM by Foofmonger
FoxFritter wrote:
Fri 1 Feb 2019 3:22 PM
I'd honestly probably prefer a faster scythe. Miss chances are pretty high on VW..missing a 5s swing multiple times hurts A LOT more than missing on a faster scythe.

Yea there are a bunch of pros/cons with each approach. Missing (getting blocked/parried/evaded) on a slow scythe is a lot more detrimental to you then on a fast scythe.

But I'd boil down the argument basically to whether or not you are in a group set-up that is attempting to burst people down in less then 2 seconds, and whether or not you can reliably do that (aka not just intending to do it), because if any target you swing at takes 2 hits or more to go down, it's better to be using a fast scythe. So if you aren't in a group that's focusing on super burst damage, you'll find a fast scythe better in the vast majority of situations (and even if you are focusing on burst, if you can't reliably blow people up before they get focused healed then you'd be better off with a fast as well). Now if you have a group set up with a ton of front-loaded damage with the intention of playing that strategy, and it works, you'll just run around and make people explode with a slow scythe.

One of the nice things about fast scythes is how quickly you can get off chains versus a slow scythe. Lets say I'm swinging with a 2.0 speed (after qui/haste) versus a 5.0 speed (build with no haste/low qui), for the 5.0 speed scythe swing, I'd be able to get my first blizzard blade off at 10 seconds into combat (stunning blade 0.0, winter's scythe 5.0, blizzard blade 10.0). With the fast scythe, I'd get my first blizzard blade at 4 seconds into combat (stunning blade 0.0, winter's scythe 2.0, blizzard blade 4.0), and after 10 seconds in combat and I'd actually be getting my second blizzard blade (2nd stunning blade, 6.0, 2nd winter's scythe 8.0, 2nd blizzard blade 10.0). So while the overall swing damage from the attacks will be similar, my style proc damage will be much higher with the faster build because I'm getting those procs much faster. It also allows you to rotate stuns for peeling purposes much faster and more reliably. As to your main point, if I miss a back/side stun with a slow scythe, I can't even attempt to peel them again for 4-6 seconds. With a fast scythe, I can re-try 1.5-2 seconds later. Or if I want to try and peel multiples, I can theoretically hit 3 people with my backstun on a fast scythe in a 4.0 seconds period of time (0.0, 0.2, and 0.4) using the speeds in the example above, whereas with the slow build I wouldn't even be able to hit a 2nd guy until 5.0 seconds in.

TLDR: Fast is probably better in most overall situations, slow is more niche but better in specific group make-ups.
Note: That if you want to have both options and switch between the two, you'll want to have two sets of gear, one with capped quick, and one with no+quick.
Note 2: In terms of spec, if you are going for the slow build always go for 50 scythe. You are honestly probably fine with a 50/34 build because you'll never be using the haste. If you are going for a fast build, you can go whatever, and I highly recommend at least 38 arb for the haste (I personally like 44/43/23 for a balanced overall spec, with +13 to all skills at RR3 I sit at 57 comp scythe, 56 comp arb, and 36 comp parry), which allows me to have pretty good weaponskill as well as not get resisted all the time when I switch to nuking, while still having some pretty solid parry.
Tue 12 Feb 2019 10:17 PM by FoxFritter
Foofmonger wrote:
Fri 1 Feb 2019 8:12 PM
FoxFritter wrote:
Fri 1 Feb 2019 3:22 PM

Yea there are a bunch of pros/cons with each approach. Missing (getting blocked/parried/evaded) on a slow scythe is a lot more detrimental to you then on a fast scythe.

But I'd boil down the argument basically to whether or not you are in a group set-up that is attempting to burst people down in less then 2 seconds, and whether or not you can reliably do that (aka not just intending to do it), because if any target you swing at takes 2 hits or more to go down, it's better to be using a fast scythe. So if you aren't in a group that's focusing on super burst damage, you'll find a fast scythe better in the vast majority of situations (and even if you are focusing on burst, if you can't reliably blow people up before they get focused healed then you'd be better off with a fast as well). Now if you have a group set up with a ton of front-loaded damage with the intention of playing that strategy, and it works, you'll just run around and make people explode with a slow scythe.

One of the nice things about fast scythes is how quickly you can get off chains versus a slow scythe. Lets say I'm swinging with a 2.0 speed (after qui/haste) versus a 5.0 speed (build with no haste/low qui), for the 5.0 speed scythe swing, I'd be able to get my first blizzard blade off at 10 seconds into combat (stunning blade 0.0, winter's scythe 5.0, blizzard blade 10.0). With the fast scythe, I'd get my first blizzard blade at 4 seconds into combat (stunning blade 0.0, winter's scythe 2.0, blizzard blade 4.0), and after 10 seconds in combat and I'd actually be getting my second blizzard blade (2nd stunning blade, 6.0, 2nd winter's scythe 8.0, 2nd blizzard blade 10.0). So while the overall swing damage from the attacks will be similar, my style proc damage will be much higher with the faster build because I'm getting those procs much faster. It also allows you to rotate stuns for peeling purposes much faster and more reliably. As to your main point, if I miss a back/side stun with a slow scythe, I can't even attempt to peel them again for 4-6 seconds. With a fast scythe, I can re-try 1.5-2 seconds later. Or if I want to try and peel multiples, I can theoretically hit 3 people with my backstun on a fast scythe in a 4.0 seconds period of time (0.0, 0.2, and 0.4) using the speeds in the example above, whereas with the slow build I wouldn't even be able to hit a 2nd guy until 5.0 seconds in.

TLDR: Fast is probably better in most overall situations, slow is more niche but better in specific group make-ups.
Note: That if you want to have both options and switch between the two, you'll want to have two sets of gear, one with capped quick, and one with no+quick.
Note 2: In terms of spec, if you are going for the slow build always go for 50 scythe. You are honestly probably fine with a 50/34 build because you'll never be using the haste. If you are going for a fast build, you can go whatever, and I highly recommend at least 38 arb for the haste (I personally like 44/43/23 for a balanced overall spec, with +13 to all skills at RR3 I sit at 57 comp scythe, 56 comp arb, and 36 comp parry), which allows me to have pretty good weaponskill as well as not get resisted all the time when I switch to nuking, while still having some pretty solid parry.

Awesome man, appreciate the comment greatly.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics